Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

You don't bring in a guy on a one year "prove it" deal for 10 million to just be insurance. 

Agree.  I was at that training camp the year Pryor was signed.  He was if anything the most hyped receiver back then.  He came off a big season in Cleveland.  High expectations.  

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-east/washington-football-team/terrelle-pryor-washington-depth-chart-fantasy

Terrelle Pryor Listed As WR1 On Washington Depth Chart

It did not take long for Terrelle Pryor to establish himself as the top wide receiver in Washington.

Pryor, who had a breakout year for the Cleveland Browns last season, signed a one-year deal worth $8 million with Washington this off-season.

Pryor caught 77 passes for 1,007 yards and four touchdowns last season, despite playing with rotating cast of uninspiring quarterbacks, including Cody Kessler, Josh McCown, Robert Griffin III, Charlie Whitehurst, and Kevin Hogan.

Now, catching passes from the much more competent Kirk Cousins, Pryor is already penciled in as WR1 on Washington’s depth chart.

washington-redskins-depth-chart.png

• Like 2

Why we're hearing more about Dyami Brown now than earlier in camp is completely normal and on the timeline we want. He most likely wasn't getting as many looks early on and against less quality DBs. QBs, the local media, our fans saw him live and were impressed, slowly but surely people are paying attention to him now. The staff and players are probably right after the stage where they realize "wow, this rookie is pretty good." Now he's battling against St-Juste (who we think has a chance of being our outside CB), and Kendall Fuller who are higher quality DBs and winning his fair share. This is the trajectory you want, he's working his way through the ranks and keeping his head down. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, dyst said:

Look at that depth chart. Surprised we even won one game

Agree we've come a long way, sad roster then.  Among other things instead of talking about who should play more Ryan Grant, Maurice Harris, Brian Quick, Doctson, etc -- we are wondering if guys like Harmon and AGG even make the roster.  Guys like that would likely be starters on the 2017 roster. 

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Why we're hearing more about Dyami Brown now than earlier in camp is completely normal and on the timeline we want. He most likely wasn't getting as many looks early on and against less quality DBs. QBs, the local media, our fans saw him live, everyone is slowly starting to pay attention to him now. They're probably right after the stage where they realized "wow, this rookie is pretty good." Now he's battling against St-Juste (who we think has a chance of being our outside CB), and Kendall Fuller who are higher quality DBs and winning his fair share. This is the trajectory you want, he's working his through the ranks and keeping his head down. 

In Richmond when I watched him, he typically was battling St. Juste.  He looked good but nothing remarkable.   But sounds like he's heating up.  And heck he's a rookie so it takes time.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In Richmond when I watched him, he typically was battling St. Juste.  He looked good but nothing remarkable.   But sounds like he's heating up.  And heck he's a rookie so it takes time.  

We're hearing much more positives about him than we were about AGG at least. I remember at this stage of the game the word about AGG was that he needed some refinement and didn't look ready. I haven't really heard that about Dyami, he seems to be finding his way with his current set of skills. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 4

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

We're hearing much more positives about him than we were about AGG that's for sure. I remember at this stage of the game the word about AGG was that he needed some refinement. I haven't really heard that about Dyami, he seems to be finding his way with his current set of skills. 

Agree.

AGG according to multiple people who covered him in last camp had a bad camp.   I recall hearing a lot that Terry looked awesome in his rookie camp.  As for Dyami, he looked good when I watched, nothing that blew my socks off, but good.   As did really every WR I watched.  My best view at camp was the receiver spot because they were practicing right in front of me.

I liked really them all and said so at the time:  Milne, Dyami, Harmon, AGG, Carter, etc.  The two that really stood out to me were Terry and Humphries.   Steve Sims took me by surprise.  He didn't hit me as looking as good as Terry and Humphries but he was hard to miss.  And as crazy as it may sound, it might have been the third best there to my eyes.

Having said as we know camp and preseason doesn't always translate to the real games.  I recall seeing Cam Sims years ago and he looked like a monster in camp.  And yeah he's now pretty decent but it took him awhile.  We all recall Taylor Jacobs being a killer practice player.  Marko Mitchell was a beast in preseason.  

I like Dyami.  I think he will be good.  But waiting for the real action on that front. 

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No, they absolutely thought Grant would start outside on the other side of Doctson in 3 WR sets.  Jay confirmed it over snd over. I quoted it repeatedly on 2017.  It was idiotic.  Pryor was brought in to be an insurance policy for Doctson.  They played/practiced the same position.  

The idiotic idea is Crowder would start outside in 2 WR sets then move inside and Grant woukd start outside.  

And the combination of Reed and Crowder inside would be good.

What the morons didn’t consider is 

1. Doctson never showed any indication he could play.

2. Crowder and Reed in the middle just drew all the coverage inside because defenses could just lock down the outside guys with practice squad level DBs.

3. Reed was always hurt

4. Grant, because if lack of physical talent, scared nobody, and defenses just played him straight up snd forgot about him, which provided them an advantage.

5. crowder playing outside took away what he did well.  So they tried that stupidity for a few weeks then just went with Grant as the other starter.  Which was moronic also.  

It was the absolute stupidest decision from a roster management perspective the team made since it paid AH 6 gagillion dollars.  Absolutely dumb as hell.  

This is an emotional issue for me.  I screamed about it before it happened, predicted it would happen, predicted the results and was right at every turn. 

I was all prepared to be like, "You're wrong"...but the more I kept reading the more it jogged my memory.  I think I repressed that and buried it down deep.

I apologize that I made you write all of that out, we're both worse for reliving that period of time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

34 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

TC Reports around the division, to make our DL lick its chops

Eagles defense was still feisty last year.  Their DL has a steady rotation of quality (if not better) players.  I'm expecting them to still be average at worst.

Eagles OL though, I do think everyone's assuming it'll still be the way it always was.  Despite that 1st round LT that might be a bust, then the C/RG/RT all being 30+ with injury histories.  I mean, Jason Kelce is 34.  Brandon Brooks is 32 and has had major injuries recently.  Lane Johnson is 31 and has been playing through recurring...back(?) injuries.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/fitzpatrick-washington-football-team-and-pressure

We're back with another look at 2020 data from Football Outsiders Almanac 2021 (now available!). Today we're going to look at quarterbacks and pressure—who faced pressure most often; who played best and worst under pressure; and who succeed or failed from a clean pocket. Sometimes when we get into these data pieces, no team really stands out, and it can be difficult to develop a narrative. This is not one of those times. When we talk about who was most affected by pressure in 2020, and whose pressure stats are most intriguing heading into 2021, it's clear that we're going to be talking about the Washington Football Team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

TC Reports around the division, to make our DL lick its chops

Devonta Smith looks like a waterboy that got gifted his very own Eagles jersey in that photo. He is freakishly frail for an NFL WR. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Haha 2

Smith weights 166

Every route better be to the sideline or endzone. No way on Earth can he take punishment.

I don't care how talented they are, you are playing w/ fire drafting a guy that small, that high.

Dude has already tweaked his MCL. I don't see him logging a lot of playingtime until he gets his weight up. You can strap him to a hospital gurney now.

That's another reason Terry is such a freak. All that speed and agility while stacking 40 lbs on Smith.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I get it, but I can not disregard what he did in college.

Sure he's talented, but he's a walking injury waiting to happen. There's a high chance a guy as small as him is constantly having to play through nagging injuries or will miss games due to nagging injuries. Game days where he's 100% I think are going to be rare. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

I'm with you guys, it's a gigantic, glaring, blazing, red light the size of Mars.  But, he wasn't wrecked in college, and he somehow was great at avoiding collisions and adjusting for falls.

Let's say his slight frame does catch up to him.  When?  Is it a 10 year career?  Likely not.  DeSean Jackson is 3 inches shorter but 15 pounds heavier and he's got a slight build.  Marvin Harrison was even 15 pounds heavier.  But will he still be good in 2021?  Yeah.  2022?  2023?  Probably.  I would be too scared to sign him to an extension, but for a bit...he's a threat.

His career longevity might be like a classic RB.  Some early years are fantastic, but then it fades quickly.  I'd rather he wasn't in our division before he wears down though.

• Like 1

This might belong in some offseason thread, I've read that there's some sort of mental health issues going on with CJ Henderson. Leaves me to question if we've become the type of team that's structured enough to take a gamble on a player like this. I'm curious as to what his value is and how much Jacksonville can get for him, he was the 9th pick in the 2020 draft. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

13 hours ago, mhd24 said:

We are lucky that they have horrible in the draft.

Taking a RB at #2 overall was plain idiotic (thank god they never took Josh Allen, Nelson, or traded down with the Jets to get those 3 #2s).  Nick Chubb is the best RB in that draft and they could have had him with their 2nd round pick.

Which resulted in them being forced to take Daniel Jones the next year (thank god Herbert stayed at Oregon).

They also busted on Baker in the 1st round.

I know some here liked Andrew Thomas, but I'd say he's the 4th tackle amongst Wirfs, Becton, and Jedrick Wills.

They have been forced to use FA to cover up for their horrific drafting.  The DT they took from Clemson is a good player, but they have been horrible in the 1st round.  They had to let Dalvin Tomlinson go because they couldn't afford him.  

They also have zippo in cap space next year (See https://www.forbes.com/sites/patriciatraina/2021/04/27/new-york-giants-facing-potential-salary-cap-trouble-in-2022/?sh=7f379c467a01)

They have to nail their picks next year (which they have a ton of).

They haven't drafted well.  I don't know if I'd say horrible though.  But agree FA and trades have bailed them out.  For their faults drafting, I don't think their roster is that far off of ours.  I am not with the hipster take it seems with some in the media that they are better than the WFT but I do think they are close. 

Slayton was a good 5th round pick.  BJ Hill was a nice pick.  Tomlinson.   Lawrence as you mentioned has been good.   McKinney I thought was a good pick, will see, he got hurt the first season.  Andrew Thomas started really poorly but played better as the season went on.  The position of OT like TE (with some exceptions) tends to be a slow burn spot for developing players.  They got him Limeux and Peart in that same draft.  Hopefully they don't develop.  O line is one of those spots that typically take 2-3 years to develop.    Naturally, I am rooting against their O line developing.  I thought Will Hernandez would end up good.  He was a baller in college.  But he's been at best inconsistent in the pros. 

Daniel Jones while better than Haskins for sure, to me right now looks like a marginal starter.  I agree I wouldn't have taken Barkley but judging by buzz at that time I gather the dude they might have taken at QB wasn't Josh Allen but Sam Darnold.  Darnold was the more hyped one.  I don't recall too many draft geeks at the time thinking Allen was better but you never know maybe the Giants scouts did?  I'd easily take Barkley over Darnold.  But yeah Josh Allen looks special.  I'll give credit to Cooley who said at the time he's the best QB in that draft but I don't recall him having any company on that point. 

In retrospect, they've done good on the Beckham trade and the Leonard Williams trade.  Letting Landon Collins go right now looks smart on their end but will see after this season.    Blake Martinez, Bradberry, Logan Ryan were really nice signings.  Then you add J. Peppers and Leonard Williams and their horrible defense was fransformed to being a good one.   the hope for that team on our end is Daniel Jones doesn't take a step up and their O line doesn't develop.  I think there is a good chance that happens.  They feel like an 8-9 team to me. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No lineman has shifted around more than Saahdiq Charles. The 2020 fourth-round pick has played every position but center, as Matsko has used him to paper over unexpected absences. Charles has played guard and tackle since high school, and as a rookie, he earned a start at left guard — though he dislocated his right kneecap after two plays and had surgery in the offseason.

Now, he doesn’t have a clear position. The plan seems to be to familiarize him with as many as possible so he can be the line’s utility man. But wherever he ends up, Charles knows he must prove he’s capable and reliable. Assistant offensive line coach Travelle Wharton has emphasized to him he must refine his technique to complement his natural athleticism, and he’s focused on the little things, such as run-blocking footwork.

“I feel like I’m progressing real well,” Charles said, before adding a statement that encapsulated the team’s approach with the line throughout camp so far.

“The physical repetition [of playing so many positions] helps way more than just looking at cards.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/08/08/washington-football-team-offensive-line/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm with you guys, it's a gigantic, glaring, blazing, red light the size of Mars.  But, he wasn't wrecked in college, and he somehow was great at avoiding collisions and adjusting for falls.

Let's say his slight frame does catch up to him.  When?  Is it a 10 year career?  Likely not.  DeSean Jackson is 3 inches shorter but 15 pounds heavier and he's got a slight build.  Marvin Harrison was even 15 pounds heavier.  But will he still be good in 2021?  Yeah.  2022?  2023?  Probably.  I would be too scared to sign him to an extension, but for a bit...he's a threat.

His career longevity might be like a classic RB.  Some early years are fantastic, but then it fades quickly.  I'd rather he wasn't in our division before he wears down though.

It's barely 2 inch height difference and reports are that Smith is clocking in at 174lbs so thats one pound shy of Jackson. He is very comparable to desean, but he's got a lot to prove.

If he packs on about 10 to 15 more pounds, and keeps his speed he will probably look a lot like Calvin Ridley. 

Edited by ZarG3
  • Like 1