Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Just now, London Kev said:

I didn't realise that Collins was still available, I would be more than happy if we re-signed him.

Would be kind of weird if we drafted Beavers and signed the Honey Badger 😀.

I am keeping an eye on someone like Reggie Ragland as a fill-in for MLB.

• Like 1

We could trade with Chicago at #166, if they take this trade, our 2023 5th and 2024 6th for Beavers if he were there at #166.  I know a lot of people don't like trading away picks but we will recoup with a compensatory pick when we don't sign Payne and next year we got two coming in the 3rd/7th.  Things to think about.  Beavers would fit our LB corp well.  He loves the game and is smart.  Again, if Sanborn is there in the 7th, I'd go with him but really want Beavers.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

We could trade with Chicago at #166, if they take this trade, our 2023 5th and 2024 6th for Beavers if he were there at #166.  I know a lot of people don't like trading away picks but we will recoup with a compensatory pick when we don't sign Payne and next year we got two coming in the 3rd/7th.  Things to think about.  Beavers would fit our LB corp well.  He loves the game and is smart.  Again, if Sanborn is there in the 7th, I'd go with him but really want Beavers.  

I'd love this trade.

So I just did a little research.  We picked Howell with the 1st pick of the 5th round. 

Here are some recent drafted QBs in the 4th - 6th rounds:

2021:

4th round (pick 133) Ian Brook from ND to the Saints

6th round (218) Sam Elihinger from Texas to the Colts

2020:

4th Round (125) James Morgan from Florida International to the Jets

5th Round (167) Jake Fromm from Georgia to the Bills

6th Round (189) Jake Luton from Oregon State to  the Jags

2019:

4th Round (104) Ryan Finley from NC State to the Bengals

4th Round (133) Jarrett Stidham from Auburn to the Patriots

5th Round (166) Easton Stick from North Dakota State to the Chargers

5th Round (167) Clayton Thorson from Northwestern to the Eagles

6th Round (178) Gardner Minshew from Washington State to the Jags

6th Round (197) Trace McSorley from Penn State to the Ravens

So the question is, does Howell have more upside than the folks who have been selected in these rounds previously?  I think so. But I really don't know.  

Maybe it's recency bias, but I seem to feel like there has been more "buzz" about Howell as a potential starter than anybody on this list coming out.  But again, I'm not sure...

IF he is a better prospect than the folks generally picked in the same-ish spot, THEN I would concede we got good VALUE. 

Value to me is not based on what Mel/Todd/whoever say.  It's against the talent level (on average) which has been taken previously.  If you get a guy who's a significantly better prospect than is normally chosen in the 5th round, that's value to me.  

• Like 2