Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

So, the last thing I want to do is swap Champ Bailey for Carlos Rodgers again or letting Garcon and Moss both go and replacing them with three second rounders. This team has a history of thinking they can get rid of a highly productive player and replace them with a draft pick. 

There's too problems with that:

1) In the best case scenario, you're running on mud. You're not getting better you're just trying to keep the status quo.

2) Letting a known go and replacing them with an unknown could be replacing a good player with a bust.

In other words, don't draft a wide receiver with the hope he can replace McClaurin. This team is not a finished product. We need to add more good players not run in place.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Posted the wrong link earlier. Shouldve been this video not a tweet.

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The Jets and the Falcons are the smartest teams in the league?

I meant the Seahawks Ravens and Chiefs obviously. 

I'd also be willing to bet the Patriots find a way to accumulate more picks in the sweet spot as well.

Edited by Forever A Redskin

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

So, the last thing I want to do is swap Champ Bailey for Carlos Rodgers again or letting Garcon and Moss both go and replacing them with three second rounders. This team has a history of thinking they can get rid of a highly productive player and replace them with a draft pick. 

1) In the best case scenario, you're running on mud. You're not getting better you're just trying to keep the status quo.

2) Letting a known go and replacing them with an unknown could be replacing a good player with a bust.

In other words, don't draft a wide receiver with the hope he can replace McClaurin. This team is not a finished product. We need to add more good players not run in place.

Okay. But if he doesn't sign here do you propose we do nothing with him?

14 minutes ago, Burgold said:

To be fair, I said any player who you think will not re-sign. Obviously we should do everything we can to re-sign our homegrown talent. But you also can't let good players walk without compensation like we have in recent history. We need to stop playing the double franchise tag then letting players walk with no compensation game.

Smart teams like the Pats and Ravens always get in front of these type of issues and are always drafting and developing their replacements. It's the main reason I'm all for drafting developmental edge rushers like Myjai Sanders. That way if Sweat refuses to resign you aren't scrambling/replacing him with a mediocre, over-paid veteran. 

We need to adopt this type of philosophy and stop letting players walk without getting anything in return

Edited by Forever A Redskin

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Okay. But if he doesn't sign here do you propose we do nothing with him?

I propose signing him. If he doesn't want to sign with us I propose hypnosis.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3o6fJgEOrF1lky8WFa" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/endless-rainbow-submission-3o6fJgEOrF1lky8WFa">via GIPHY</a></p>

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I propose signing him. 

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3o6fJgEOrF1lky8WFa" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/endless-rainbow-submission-3o6fJgEOrF1lky8WFa">via GIPHY</a></p>

Easy to say. Apparently harder to pull off.

• Haha 1

That's why they get paid the big bucks. 

Now, I do agree if you wind up in a Kirk Cousins or Trent Williams scenario then it's better to trade him than get nothing. However, short of that the first effort needs to be to keep the players we designate our core players.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Speaking of Dotson's Achilles Heel, it's his play strength.  I don't think any of the other top WRs have such a painfully defined limitation as his inability to get off the line against a decent press.  I think I saw some alarming split where his production just craters when he goes from playing off the line or in the slot to playing outside on the line against press, but I can't remember where I read that.  And I think his body type is just kind of narrow and he doesn't have a lot of room to add a bunch of bulk and strength.  But WR is really diverse in the NFL and a lot of the best guys in the league are small.  I can see him being awesome in a primary slot role or a motion-heavy outside role where he can get a running start on his release.  Anything that gives him a little bit of an advantage against press DBs.  I love the Emmanuel Sanders comparison for him that Lance Zierlein made.  I see the same speed and toughness and spectacular ability to go up and pluck the ball downfield.  I think he's going to be really good and I like him specifically as an inside compliment to the outside talent we have in Terry and Dyami, so yeah, finger's crossed we get an extension worked out with Terry.

He's very physical at the catch point.  But not so much YAC or with his releases.  But yeah I think its part of the reason whu most see him in the slot.  

as for beating press you might have read it when I posted the McGinn scout stuff

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 12.45.02 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

That's why they get paid the big bucks. 

Now, I do agree if you wind up in a Kirk Cousins or Trent Williams scenario then it's better to trade him than get nothing. However, short of that the first effort needs to be to keep the players we designate our core players.

That should always be the plan. The issue is this thing called free will. Can't tag him for a year or two, either, because of the average salary getting inflated. Now is the time to act, one way or the other. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF for quite some time have shared the love on Lloyd but that hasn't seemed to take off with all the other mock drafters, at least not in the context of where he falls

Interesting mock. Has us taking Evan Neal, OT.

I like it. Develop him and see if he can beat out either of our starters as a rookie, and if not, try him at guard.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

Interesting mock. Has us taking Evan Neal, OT.

I like it. Develop him and see if he can beat out either of our starters as a rookie, and if not, try him at guard.

In that scenario it's hard for me to pass on London. Maybe not for the team. But me.

But if London goes 10 instead of Williams... I could get behind it. I was saying yesterday I'm nervous Lloyd goes top 10. The Giants make a lot of sense for him. Don't like it. Throw the mock out, damnit. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF for quite some time have shared the love on Lloyd but that hasn't seemed to take off with all the other mock drafters, at least not in the context of where he falls

just saw that on twitter and gave me a laugh

People forget that Sua had himself a good rookie year before he mentally fell apart

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

This didn't alter my thoughts on the top tiers.

What it did do was enforce my thoughts that their are a lot of talented multipurpose receivers and some good ones that can also return kicks/ Would love to grab one of them later in the draft as an additional weapon

Really opened my eyes to Kyle Philips scrappy dude. Also confirmed my positive thoughts on Bo Meldon and recent awakening to Velus Jones thanks probably to SIP on that one.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As someone who runs a 4-2 style defense at the varsity HS level, the hybrid is the most important part of the defense in the sense that if that position isn't sound... you are screwed.

Of course you need the pre-requisite DL and LBs that don't get displaced 50 yards every play as well. But if everything else is even just "okay" those hybrid spots better be shored up. 

• Like 1

Somtimes you can pull more from John bantering fans than anything else.  Here he directly says what I extrapolated as likely which I posted Saturday after listening to his appearace on a fan podcast.  Feels like at 11 it would be London or Hamilton, whomever falls.  and maybe the idea is if neither one does they try hard to trade down. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It’s a tough call between the two for me, but I’d lean Hamilton. Only because we can always draft a WR in 2nd or next year, but very unlikely there is a prospect like Hamilton in round 2 or next year.

I love his football IQ and versatility and I think he fills a clear need immediately and into the future at multiple spots.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

It’s a tough call between the two for me, but I’d lean Hamilton. Only because we can always draft a WR in 2nd or next year, but very unlikely there is a prospect like Hamilton in round 2 or next year.

I love his football IQ and versatility and I think he fills a clear need immediately and into the future at multiple spots.

Can't get a receiver in the second if we take Kenneth Walker, though.

Offense, offense, offense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Look at the smartest teams in the league having all those picks in the sweet spot this year.... Why can't we be a smart team?

I ran a mock on Pro Draft Network and it was interesting.

I added some late 2's and late 3's and parted with our 6th, 7th, 7th and a future 6th as parts of the various trade back packages. Pretty unrealistic to trade down 4 times in the first 2 rounds, but I went through this mock with the intent of loading up on 2nd through 4th round picks given the depth ... was pretty happy with what I got.

32. Christian Watson, WR NDSU

60. Tre McBride, TE Colorado State

63. Troy Andersen, LB Montana State

64. Jalen Pitre, S Baylon

91. Lecitus Smith, G Virginia Tech

96. Brian Robinson, RB Alabama

97. Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

113. Zachary Carter, DT Florida

2023 PIT 4th

2023 TB 4th

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Can't get a receiver in the second if we take Kenneth Walker, though.

Offense, offense, offense.

London then Walker. Honestly, if we add London, I still wouldn’t mind a burner. Imagine adding Drake London, Calvin Austin, and Kenneth Walker to what we already have. Not that we have the draft picks or would be lucky enough for things to break that way. 

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

London then Walker. Honestly, if we add London, I still wouldn’t mind a burner. Imagine adding Drake London, Calvin Austin, and Kenneth Walker to what we already have. Not that we have the draft picks or would be lucky enough for things to break that way. 

Ans,

C'mon man. I can't handle that kind of emotional excitement right now. My right leg started kicking involuntarily after reading that. 

• Haha 3

Another .. traded 11 for 14 and 76.

Traded 76 for 85 and 127

Traded 85 for 90 and 143

So essentially, I traded 11 for 14, 90, 127, 143 (adding a 3, 4, 4)

14. Garrett Wilson, WR Ohio State

47. Chad Muma, LB Wyoming

90. Lecitus Smith, G Virginia Tech

113. Brian Robinson, RB Alabama

127. Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

143. Jaylen Wydermeyer, TE Texas A&M

189. Vincent Gray, CB Michigan

230. Thomas Booker, DT Stanford

240. Tycen Anderson, S Toledo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ans,

C'mon man. I can't handle that kind of emotional excitement right now. My right leg started kicking involuntarily after reading that. 

Seriously, imagine how good Calvin Austin would be as WR4. We draft for need to much to load up at WR though. We’d never do it. And I’d be over the moon just for Drake London and Kenneth Walker. 

We need some surprise picks in the top 10 to push Drake London down. 

As much as I don’t want Devin Lloyd with the Giants, until they get a QB, it only matters so much. Especially with their cap situation. I’d rather he wind us there than with the Eagles or Cowboys for instance. 

• Like 1