Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not directed at you, SIP.  Chad is so out of sync when it comes to Commander news.  I overlook whatever he guesstimates.  Sorry, but he's off the mark and repeats things that others say after the fact.  

Kansas City Chiefs

Miller: Will general manager Brett Veach and coach Andy Reid use picks Nos. 29 and 30 or is a trade possible?

A trade does seem more likely than not. The Chiefs also have two picks in each of the second, third and fourth rounds. They can easily move for a player or players they like and Veach likes to deal. He traded the Chiefs' first-round pick in two of the past three years and has traded up in the second round a couple of times since his first draft as GM in 2018. -- Adam Teicher

Los Angeles Chargers

Miller: It feels like it is offensive tackle or bust for the Chargers in Round 1, but what other positions are a need for L.A.?

Yes, the Chargers have added to their pass rush (Khalil Mack) and pass defense (J.C. Jackson), but after having the 30th-ranked rush defense, they also need help down low and in the trenches. A run-stuffing and gap-eating defensive tackle would foot the bill here. But would Georgia's Jordan Davis still be there at No. 17 overall? -- Paul Gutierrez

greyline.png

NFC EAST

dal.png&h=110&w=110

Dallas Cowboys

Reid: Which positions could the Cowboys target early to replenish the talent lost on the roster?

Regardless of the players they lost, it is obvious where the Cowboys will be looking: offensive line, wide receiver and defensive line. They lost Connor Williams, Amari Cooper, Cedrick Wilson and Randy Gregory at those spots in either a trade or during free agency, and the offensive line remains the one spot they have yet to replenish in free agency. They added wideout James Washington and pass-rusher Dante Fowler Jr. as outside free agents, but their additions will not prevent the Cowboys from adding a player at their position even early in the draft. -- Todd Archer

Washington Commanders

Reid: Where are the Commanders' biggest holes, and what could they look for in Round 1?

Receiver is definitely on the list. Carson Wentz needs another target. But they also love their Buffalo nickel package and want someone to replace Landon Collins in the safety/linebacker hybrid role -- but that makes sense only at No. 11 if Kyle Hamilton is available. Cornerback would make sense, as would linebacker, though with them using fewer three-linebacker sets it is hard to envision. Finally, coach Ron Rivera has often said how important it is to not only give a quarterback players to throw to, but you then have to protect him. -- John Keim

New York Jets

Reid: After an aggressive attempt to trade for Tyreek Hill, do you foresee a wide receiver being selected at No. 10 overall?

Assuming the Jets don't trade for a veteran by the draft, yes, it is a possibility. The top candidates are Drake London, Garrett Wilson and perhaps even Jameson Williams. But it is not a sure thing, especially not with two picks near the top of Round 2. With a deep receiver class, they could find a comparable talent in the second round. General manager Joe Douglas won't reach for a need at No. 10 if better players are available. -- Rich Cimini

greyline.png

NFC SOUTH

atl.png&h=110&w=110

Atlanta Falcons

Miller: If the Falcons don't draft a quarterback in Round 1, where will they go?

The Falcons can really go anywhere -- and I wouldn't necessarily lock them into a quarterback at the moment. They are in a rebuild in which the franchise needs help at literally every position. So if they believe a quarterback is the best value at No. 8, they would go that direction. But wide receiver, edge rusher, interior defensive line and offensive line are possibilities, without question. The only way Atlanta goes quarterback is if management is completely convinced the player could be the Falcons' guy for the next decade. Otherwise they need too much help elsewhere. -- Michael Rothstein

car.png&h=110&w=110

Carolina Panthers

Miller: Are the Panthers desperate enough at quarterback to draft one at No. 6 overall?

Desperate might be a little strong, but yes. They made it obvious that Sam Darnold isn't the answer by their pursuit of Deshaun Watson and interest in other quarterbacks. General manager Scott Fitterer has said there are a couple of quarterbacks in this year's class worthy of a top-10 pick. The Panthers were at the pro days of Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh), Malik Willis (Liberty) and Matt Corral (Mississippi), and are having each in for official visits. Carolina hasn't used a first-round pick on a quarterback since Cam Newton in 2011 -- and since then the Panthers have used only one draft pick total on a quarterback.. -- David Newton

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/story/_/id/33724704/nfl-draft-2022-reporters-answer-32-biggest-questions-including-positions-target-potential-trades-teams-watch

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Not directed at you, SIP.  Chad is so out of sync when it comes to Commander news.  I overlook whatever he guesstimates.  Sorry, but he's off the mark and repeats things that others say after the fact.  

As I've said many times the only guy I live and die by as for a source as to what they are thinking on is Keim.  I am a bit of a media nerd, so I recall whose been right, whose been wrong typically.  I've pointed that out on most of these guys including Ryan.  I don't really consider Ryan a source.  But considering he was on top of the Wilson interest even if lets say all he did was repeat what others said -- i'll give him a little heed for the moment especially if what he says is consistent with other things.  But I don't swear by anyone outside of Keim and even Keim sometimes is wrong. 

I recall you get going if you don't like the source behind a tweet, 😀  I recall with you Laconfora and Florio can set you off if I remember right?  that's cool.  People can take or leave any of these tweets, i am just posting what some might find interesting and they can take it or leave it, its all the same to me. 

On another note, good player IMO, might be there in the 2nd

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As I've said many times the only guy I live and die by as for a source as to what they are thinking on is Keim.  I am a bit of a media nerd, so I recall whose been right, whose been wrong typically.  I've pointed that out on most of these guys including Ryan.  I don't really consider Ryan a source.  But considering he was on top of the Wilson interest even if lets say all he did was repeat what others said -- i'll give him a little heed for the moment especially if what he says is consistent with other things.  But I don't swear by anyone outside of Keim and even Keim sometimes is wrong. 

I recall you get going if you don't like the source behind a tweet, 😀  I recall with you Laconfora and Florio can set you off if I remember right?  that's cool.  People can take or leave any of these tweets, i am just posting what some might find interesting and they can take it or leave it, its all the same to me. 

On another note, good player IMO, might be there in the 2nd

Like him. Not over Walker. (assuming we go WR at 11)

44 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I'd love 28 and 29 from the chiefs plus a mid rounder this year (preferably) or next year's 2nd

Take a player with one of them and trade down again with the other. Or take a player with both. Either way.

I did a mock like you had suggested FAR and this is what I got:

Notes:  Sterling Weatherford is 6' 4" 221lbs. Lower Round Hamilton and runs a 4.59 40.  Sacrificed Olave/Wilson for the smooth Tolbert.  Got the best TE in the draft along with, I think one of the top 2 CBs in the draft, Pitre.  Swiss army knife can do it all LB Troy Andersen, Bulldozer RB and decent pass catching Tyler Allgeier from BYU who plays MUCH faster than he test.  S Hawkins from Michigan and RB Sincere from UTSA are both very underrated prospect, IMO.  Jack Coan at QB to see what he's got.  

pff_mock_results (11).png

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yes, I can be outspoken.  I fully admit it.  Keep on posting as I like your info and am always appreciative and am outspoken on positive stuff too. :)  

• Like 1

I don’t believe any tight end will be taken till late 2nd or early 3rd. Once one is taken and probably McBride then there will be a run. I personally don’t think there’s that much difference between the top ten tight ends. I prefer the kid from UVA Woods. I think he’s the most athletic one in the group plus he’s 6’7. Reminds me of Parham who we shouldn’t have ever got rid of. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I've been thinking about the possibility of QB in the second the past few days, and I'm torn on this scenario because it activates contradicting philosophies for me.

On the one hand, I firmly believe in BPA drafting and I can very easily accept an argument that Howell at 47 is a BPA selection yielding big time value.  Maybe even like +15 to +20 value.

On the other hand, I also believe that if you have two QBs, you really have none, and that the crucial factor in the sustained success of a QB is the firm establishment of the QB-HC marriage.

Drafting Howell into this situation undermines the chance of Rivera forming that marriage with Wentz, and probably also means we never give Howell a real shot too.  So yeah, it feels like a good way to make sure none of these QBs succeed.

For better or worse, it feels like we took our shot with Wentz and we need to see it through.  It's hard for me to accept because I am risk averse and Wentz is such a boom or bust player--deep flaws, spectacular playmaking ability.  I can see him being awesome here, but his flaws are really frustrating and they are probably the reason he lost the support of ownership in Indy.

But I can't shake the feeling that Howell could be an absolute home run of a second round pick.  You're not going to find QB prospects as good as him in the mid second of most draft classes.  He's got the right kind of quiet and humble personality that we look for in our QBs.  He's got the toughness and playmaking upside we want.  He'd come into a situation where he has a college teammate with built in familiarity, plus he'd get to sit for his entire rookie season if he needs to.  He could be a really good fit here.

It's a very risky pick.  Worst case scenario, everything falls apart and we've had another one player class and are still unsettled at QB after having invested all of our day two capital into the position for two years.  Good case scenario, Wentz flames out or gets hurt or whatever, but Howell is a successful hedge and saves everyone's job and we've finished our QB search in the Rivera era.  Best case scenario, Wentz is awesome and Howell rides the pine for a few years in a Phil Rivers type situation, or a Kevin Kolb type situation.

I don't know if I would take the risk if I were in charge, but I think Ron Rivera has a lot of job security here, particularly for a coach that's QB shopping entering his third season.  He can probably tolerate the risk.  I think we can also mitigate the risk of picking a 2nd round QB by trading down from 11.  If you give me two more top 50 picks, I can still get a great draft class in the first two days even if I don't get any value from Howell.

Based on the cost of getting Wentz, I am in agreement taking Howell or any QB at 47 wouldn't be a good move. It could undermine any relationship he has or would build with Rivera, the organization on a whole or even the fans. Wentz needs confidence boosters. If he were a year in and played meh I would be all over the move as a subtle nudge. 

I am however opened to the idea a little later if one is available and high on the teams boards. I'd almost wish they would do that. Regardless of peoples take, we are a one play from having TH (last year under contract) as the starter and zippo behind him. Would be thrilled with a Howell or Strong who have a good history and the arm Turner desires. I am thinking they hope for Zappe in the 5th

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

No doubt in my mind the could.  That 4th rounder could bring a lower 4th and a 5th rounder.  I am going to do another mock as I think they might trade in the 2nd and 4th.  I'll post in a bit.  I think they have their heart set on Olave at #11.  

pff_mock_results (10).png

Goedeke is a strong option in the mid/late rounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel like you should be able to get a good buffalo nickel later in the draft. Like, back in the day when there was only two or three teams running the 34… They used to be able to grip up stud outside linebackers later in the draft because they didn’t fit at all in anybody else’s scheme.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I feel like you should be able to get a good buffalo nickel later in the draft. Like, back in the day when there was only two or three teams running the 34… They used to be able to grip up stud outside linebackers later in the draft because they didn’t fit at all in anybody else’s scheme.

Most teams run a lot of 4-2 nowadays. Maybe not to the tune of 80%. But most use it.

Only weird thing this year is. That most of us guys like two/three WRs, a ILB and maybe Hamilton. But if I read mocks. Then these guys are all over the place. The odds are pretty decent that one drops below pick 15. 

There is just a really big bunch of players that are around same level. So my gut feeling would be; either a top players drops and you pick him up (get higher talent leven then the second tire of guys) or you take a second tire guy...but value is kinda mwha because you can find the same talent 5 to 10 picks later. 

It's just a bad spot this year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I would love Hamilton but I think gmen or jets will take him at 7 or 10. I think Stingley will be there.

Stingley would be a love and hate pick. His potential is what I think we need. Find that top tier player. But man...it can be such a wasted pick 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Stingley would be a love and hate pick. His potential is what I think we need. Find that top tier player. But man...it can be such a wasted pick 

Yeah I really like Stingley and Williams, both superior talents to the others.

I am too conservative to take them at 11 and risk getting little productivity due to health concern. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yeah I really like Stingley and Williams, both superior talents to the others.

I am too conservative to take them at 11 and risk getting little productivity due to health concern. 

But where did conservative picks get us? We are far away from being super bowl contender. So don't we need to be a bit risky. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

But where did conservative picks get us? We are far away from being super bowl contender. So don't we need to be a bit risky. 

Well I look at Davis as a bit of reach for a need position in 2021.

Most considered Chase a nobrainer in 2020

And then there was Haskins in 2019...ugh along with jumping up to grab Sweat

I don't call any of those conservative. With so few selections we need someone is going to contribute from day 1 picking at 11. those two have health concerns

I think my ideal plan now would be to move down to 17-ish and take Olave or Lloyd(at least one of the two should be there at that spot). Moving down six spots should net us at least a 3rd and 4th or so, which can be used to beef up OL/DL depth. Draft Walker in the 2nd.