Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

59 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

TE Daniel Bellinger in the 6th round is my choice. 

Not massively dissimilar to Bates. Nothing wrong with another player like that, especially if we can get a deep threat WR and physical RB in the earlier rounds.

He is one on my list I intended to watch but alas couldn't find a game to watch so just looked at highlights.  Interesting late round prospect. 

I believe he has the third best RAS among the tight ends, better athlete than Bates.  But tough for me to land on a hard call without watching some games.  But intriguing as to his measurables.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Have you ordered that Bates jersey yet? You know the president of a players fan club is required to have one 🤣

Soon come meboy. Imma get a black one, too!

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t draft a tight end. There are plug and play vets that will be available and I’m not sure I’d have a TE as BPA at any of our selections. 

Have to get a power back. Have to get a receiver. Need to at least get depth at hybrid. 

I get what you are saying, but flip side, we will probably have a rookie QB sooner than later and having two solid TEs with some seasoning would really be a boon for him. 

And Wentz loves his TEs, so it's certainly a good idea to load up on the position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Woods and Ruckert are both raw but should be nice pro players. I see Ruckert going earlier than the 4th so didn't include him in my initial response. I

Ruckert just watched him.   They played him H back a lot in the 2 games I watched which surprised me. What I like the most about him is he has a Bavaro old school style of being a YAC guy with the ball in his hands.  

Real interesting watch as a blocker.  He's like the Laron Landry of blockers whether its often either a highlight bull doze block that looks elite and then on another he will whiff or lose contain super fast.  So wildly unpredictable as a blocker IMO but more good than bad on that front because he's a willing blocker.   IMO a good TE coach might be able to work out the kinks because if you can get his best as a blocker he'd be the best I've seen in this group as a blocker but his inconsistency at it makes other TEs better blockers for me at this given time. 

He has strong hands.  As a pass catcher, old school to me, weapon in the flat, the seam, red zone.  Not explosive but has good hands IMO. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Soon come meboy. Imma get a black one, too!

I get what you are saying, but flip side, we will probably have a rookie QB sooner than later and having two solid TEs with some seasoning would really be a boon for him. 

And Wentz loves his TEs, so it's certainly a good idea to load up on the position.

I am on the same page.  Wentz is the 2nd most TE friendly QB in the league after Lamar Jackson.  And Baltimore loaded him with TEs.  We don't know if Logan will be ready to start the season. 

This TE class IMO and most mock drafters isn't top heavy but deeper than usual.

I am not against instead a FA but not much left.

Jared Cook?  Kyle Rudolph?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to Rudolph, but if it's between TE and RB for our 4rth rounder, I'd rather sign Melvin Gordon and draft a TE, than draft a RB and sign Rudolph.

Agreed, Gordon is the cream of the crop of available strong RB's and would fit nicely with Gibson and McKissic. He is being better than all the available vet TE's. Plus I like the 4th-6th round TE's to fit our roster than I do the RB's.

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

It's really interesting watching the Garrett and Olave pro days side by side. You can really see the difference IMO. Olave is extremely fluid and efficient, but not very sudden in his breaks. Garrett is more explosive and sudden but he'll take unnecessary steps at times.

I think Olave is a more polished product right now but Garrett definitely has a higher ceiling, especially considering that he's also a YAC beast and Olave usually goes down at first contact.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to Rudolph, but if it's between TE and RB for our 4rth rounder, I'd rather sign Melvin Gordon and draft a TE, than draft a RB and sign Rudolph.

The more I think about it, the more I think they are trading down.  I know you got to find a suitor, etc.  But I think they are in a good trade back position in this draft, unlike the previous draft.

The 4th round range in theory, 5th, too are good range for RB and TE IMO.  Maybe they are able to pull both with an added pick or two.    As for them doing something in FA at RB or TE I am cool with either idea.

I think the TE is deeper than usual and RB on the other hand I think is average.  But there are some RBs that I like who likely end up in that range.

I wonder what type of RB they look for?  I assume a power type RB like H. Haskins, Robinson, Allegeir.  But if they are looking to add another pass weapon weapon RB:  Cook, Williams, R. White.   

I am just watcing prospects this morning and trying to catch up.  I am probably tapped out after this one.  I just watched Jerome Ford.  Nice size for a back, 210 pounds and supposedly played last year at 220 yet he ran a 4.46.    He has some sick stats.   6.1 YPA, 19 TDs, 1300 or so yards and over 200 as a pass catcher. 

I watched his Alabama game in the mix and even though Cincy couldn't move the ball in the air, Ford was a grinder that day and had some nice runs. 

He's fast.  Quick feet. Quick cuts. Gets skinny in the hole.  Decent hands.  He's a willing blocker but not as physical as I'd like.   Hard for me to explain but something about him makes me think of him somewhat like Gibson in that he relies more on his athleticism than vision on his runs.

But yeah another interesting 5th-6th round type RB.   I think a lot of these RBS could go in the 5th-6th.  Last year I was surprised at the number of RBs dropping that later in particular: Mitchell and Herbert.  Herbert was one of my mid round favs last year before the draft but he dropped further than I expected.

So it wouldn't surprise me if we can get one of these guys late if we don't grab one earlier. 

• Like 4

How much of Wentz being super TE friendly comes from poor WR groups?  It's gotta play a part right?

2021 Colts had a solid guy in Pittman and then no other good receivers. 2020 Eagles had literally nobody.  DeSean Jackson was hurt, Jeffery was hurt and soon retired, Raegor and JJAW were flat out busts, then they had some UDFA journeymen.

Gotta throw to somebody right?  If the WR's suck, then it's to the TE's.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's really interesting watching the Garrett and Olave pro days side by side. You can really see the difference IMO. Olave is extremely fluid and efficient, but not very sudden in his breaks. Garrett is more explosive and sudden but he'll take unnecessary steps at times.

I think Olave is a more polished product right now but Garrett definitely has a higher ceiling, especially considering that he's also a YAC beast and Olave usually goes down at first contact.

Which one is going to beat press coverage better and more consistently. That’s been an issue with all of our recent WRs not named McLaurin.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The more I think about it, the more I think they are trading down.  I know you got to find a suitor, etc.  But I think they are in a good trade back position in this draft, unlike the previous draft.

Well I think if they trade down up to 9 slots say, we will be in position to get a WR, LB, RB/TE and DB, maybe even QB through 5 rounds.

The balance is what you leave on the board.

Plus, unlikely scenario but imagine if Willis is still there when we pick, do you take him? Likely excellent trade bait, but if we are hot on him and he needs a 12-18 months, is that a complete waste to pick him? Or a wise medium/longer term strategy?

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Well I think if they trade down up to 9 slots say, we will be in position to get a WR, LB, RB/TE and DB, maybe even QB through 5 rounds.

The balance is what you leave on the board.

Plus, unlikely scenario but imagine if Willis is still there when we pick, do you take him? Likely excellent trade bait, but if we are hot on him and he needs a 12-18 months, is that a complete waste to pick him? Or a wise medium/longer term strategy?

I don't think there is any chance we draft a QB. If Willis falls to 11 which is actually more likely than people think, I'd try to get a bidding war going to trade down. Any trade would require a 1st next year for sure though but I think the Steelers and Saints among others might be interested.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t draft a tight end. There are plug and play vets that will be available and I’m not sure I’d have a TE as BPA at any of our selections. 

Have to get a power back. Have to get a receiver. Need to at least get depth at hybrid. 

I’d add CB to that list. St-Juste missed a ton of time with that concussion. That’s a red flag and often a recurrent problem. WJIII was underwhelming. We could use a young guy with athleticism to groom. 

Regarding tight end, if Logan Thomas were healthy, I wouldn’t give it a lot of thought. He’s coming back from that ACL and Wentz has really leaned on having a bigger target. It’s probably less of an issue if we draft Drake London. 

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’d add CB to that list. St-Juste missed a ton of time with that concussion. That’s a red flag and often a recurrent problem. WJIII was underwhelming. We could use a young guy with athleticism to groom. 

Agreed on CB, think that may well end up representing best value at #11, not saying we’d take one, but I think it’s something we are looking at. We apparently enquired over P.Peterson in FA so there is that to support the notion. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

How much of Wentz being super TE friendly comes from poor WR groups?  It's gotta play a part right?

2021 Colts had a solid guy in Pittman and then no other good receivers. 2020 Eagles had literally nobody.  DeSean Jackson was hurt, Jeffery was hurt and soon retired, Raegor and JJAW were flat out busts, then they had some UDFA journeymen.

Some of it I think has to do with his accuracy seems to be the best right up the middle, 2nd level, which is often the spot for a slot WR or TE.  I'd say its maybe just a coincidence perhaps but he also happens to have good accuracy with deep posts which usually isn't a TE.  But in short he seems like to throw between the numbers.

wentzaccuracy.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Which one is going to beat press coverage better and more consistently. That’s been an issue with all of our recent WRs not named McLaurin.

I think that’s Drake London, based on tools and PFF stats against press coverage. 

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The 4th round range in theory, 5th, too are good range for RB and TE IMO.  Maybe they are able to pull both with an added pick or two.    As for them doing something in FA at RB or TE I am cool with either idea.

Agreed.  We saw how they traded down last year and picked up some could be gems late in the 6th or was it 7th rounds or both.  LOL

Rivera talked about in Keim's latest podcast that in watching Ohio State's pro day there was a player (he seemed to allude to WR) that stood out to him as for how he hustled back to the line after his rep.  And he likes to look for subtle things like that.

I watched the first 15 minutes of this and couldn't really see a major difference between Wilson and Olave on this front.  Granted the camera didn't always capture them running back.  But if anyone else wants to try let me know if they see anything.  Rivera made such a big deal about it that it made me think he was telegraphing which WR he preferred. 

Personally I like both WRs but I remain more of a Garrett Wilson fan.  I am not sure if I like him or London more.  Depends on how London runs this week.  I'll say though from a pure excitement level -- Wilson might be the most exciting pick at 11 in the context of how dynamic a player he is. 

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Agreed.  We saw how they traded down last year and picked up some could be gems late in the 6th or was it 7th rounds or both.  LOL

I think they might try to pick a backup for Cheeseman?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera talked about in Keim's latest podcast that in watching Ohio State's pro day there was a player (he seemed to allude to WR) that stood out to him as for how he hustled back to the line after his rep.  And he likes to look for subtle things like that.

I watched the first 15 minutes of this and couldn't really see a major difference between Wilson and Olave on this front.  Granted the camera didn't always capture them running back.  But if anyone else wants to try let me know if they see anything.  Rivera made such a big deal about it that it made me think he was telegraphing which WR he preferred. 

Personally I like both WRs but I remain more of a Garrett Wilson fan.  I am not sure if I like him or London more.  Depends on how London runs this week.  I'll say though from a pure excitement level -- Wilson might be the most exciting pick at 11 in the context of how dynamic a player he is. 

I think they might try to pick a backup for Cheeseman?

Cheeseman.  I think you are right.  His name is Big Mac!  :)🤣  I really believe that player is Olave.  Just me.  

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Just get the best possible talent and figure it out from there. 

Schematic fit is pretty important.

51 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Ertz was his leading WR in Philly, 4 straight years, because their WRs were absolute trash. Post Injury Alshon Jeffery was about it and he was never remotely the same guy. I think it plays a major part in it, but his strength is definitely the middle of the field and TEs live in there.