Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

4 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

I was listening to Bram yesterday and he had Keim on and it was interesting to hear his current take on pick 11. He basically said WR is deep and MLB are deep, but there is a drop off of talent at CB.  So, it would make sense to attack that position first if a guy you really liked was there. Then you have Smooty Smoo saying the below

Stingley was special in his freshman season, absolutely. Since then he's been injured and not what he was before, on tape or on the stat sheet. Now, it's possible that his injuries hadn't healed 100% so he was still playing a bit hobbled...but a Lisfranc injuries tend to stick around. I'd be more inclined to think he'll never be the same guy than to believe he'll completely rebound.

To me, with that kind of injury and drop off in production afterwards it's just too risky. I'd take Gardner over him and Hamilton over either.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Stingley was special in his freshman season, absolutely. Since then he's been injured and not what he was before, on tape or on the stat sheet. Now, it's possible that his injuries hadn't healed 100% so he was still playing a bit hobbled...but a Lisfranc injuries tend to stick around. I'd be more inclined to think he'll never be the same guy than to believe he'll completely rebound.

To me, with that kind of injury and drop off in production afterwards it's just too risky. I'd take Gardner over him and Hamilton over either.

Yea, I feel similar. I can’t ignore the past two years of tape and we don’t have the luxury to gamble on him bouncing back to his freshman year form. We need an immediate impact player at 11. Hamilton would be my top choice and he could slot in at buffalo nickel. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Just one small adjustment but agree with you on most.  Have you seen CB Trent McDuffie from Washington? If not, watch some film on him.  He's good and I would consider taking him at #11 but would rather a trade down.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

Just one small adjustment but agree with you on most.  Have you seen CB Trent McDuffie from Washington? If not, watch some film on him.  He's good and I would consider taking him at #11 but would rather a trade down.  

He looks good, but stats are against high profile CB prospects with really short arms and below average height panning out in the NFL.  Just about every single one has failed unless they had absolutely ridiculous athleticism.  He doesn't have that, he's a good athlete, but history says he would have to be a special one for his size.

He's got instincts and he plays hard, so you want him to pan out, but history suggests his positions in the NFL are more limited than what he played in college.  Boundary CB is out.  Slot CB is a maybe.  FS would be fine.  If we believe history can predict how well his size will do in the NFL, would you spend the 11th overall pick on that?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

mcduffie is excellent and so is his teammate Kyler Gordon.   However you also should look at Andrew Booth.  The guy reminds me of Marlon Humphrey.  Plays fast and physical and a very instinctive and smart player 

10 minutes ago, SkinsFanMania said:

mcduffie is excellent and so is his teammate Kyler Gordon.   However you also should look at Andrew Booth.  The guy reminds me of Marlon Humphrey.  Plays fast and physical and a very instinctive and smart player 

I'll do that SFM and let you know what I think. :)  

19 minutes ago, SkinsFanMania said:

He's slated to go anywhere from the mid to late 1st round.  Why didn't he run the 40?  Was he hurt?  He looks good, really good.  Still like McDuffie a bit more but Booth has more length to him.  

On 3/25/2022 at 9:15 AM, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

That was the thought of some about Collins in the draft, but there was belief that he would hold up well in Quarters or Cover 2.  Others were not convinced.

What an overrated Alabama defensive class.  If I recall it was Ashawn Robinson, Haha Clinton-Dix, Landon Collins, Reggie Ragland, and maybe CJ Mosley?

Mosley looked like the only NFL player of the group to match the hype, but he's been quiet since leaving the Ravens.

In regards to Mosley, the Ravens no how to use their players to their strengths, for the most part, and when to offer them a second contract and when to let them go.  Mosley has dropped off tremendously since getting that huge contract with the Jets.  

I said before and stick to that. McDuf guy is super solid allround corner. You can't go wrong with that pick. I only think his upside is little limited. I think I said the McDuf could be Joe Haden like. A really good player but not top 10 in his position. 

Stingley has that top 10 game changer ability. But that's a HUGE gamble. He could also be terrible. With McDuf I have no doubt that he will be at least above average. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The only DBs Im taking at 11 are Gardner or Hamilton. 

It is hard to argue this, but Stingley i not far behind. As a result of these bug names McDuffie has not been mentioned much yet a solid all around CB that will go mid 1st round

Good chance this will be 8 of the players going ahead of our pick.  the next 3 is the harder guess. 

Miller: How I see the top 10 picks right now

Mock drafts are a prediction of what we think happens while marrying information from sources with teams and our own analysis of players. More so than any year I can remember, the top 10 of 2022 is the most unpredictable. That sets up for plenty of intrigue and excitement, even if we have a good idea what the Jaguars will do to kick things off. Here's my projected top 10 as of now:

jax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan

Free-agent moves have pointed to the Jaguars selecting Hutchinson, but let's not forget he's also the best prospect in this class. With the offensive line largely upgraded with veteran signings, Jacksonville gets the best player in the class.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Detroit Lions: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

Maybe I'm buying into the pro day hype, but Willis has looked amazing throughout the pre-draft process. Detroit won't find a player with his upside or traits with its second first-round pick (No. 32). If the Lions are going in on a quarterback this draft, it should be Willis.

play

3. Houston Texans: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

A high-character leader is exactly what the Texans need after losing Justin Reid in free agency. Hamilton can make a Day 1 impact and is a near can't-miss player.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. New York Jets: Travon Walker, EDGE, Georgia

The biggest riser on my board this offseason goes to a perfect landing spot with the Jets. His potential is the highest of any pass-rusher in the class.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. New York Giants: Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State

Andrew Thomas on one side and Ekwonu on the other should give the Giants' new brain trust a good look at what Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley can do this season. It's evaluation time for both, and a good offensive line makes that an easier job for general manager Joe Schoen & Co.

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. Carolina Panthers: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

After missing out on the quarterback derby again, the Panthers make a smart selection and get the best offensive tackle in the class. And now Neal is in place at left tackle for a future quarterback selection in 2023.

7. New York Giants (from CHI): Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon

Scouts are all over the map about Thibodeaux's stock, but he still has elite first-step quickness and awesome production when he's on the field. The Giants are desperate for pass-rush help, and after David Ojabo's torn Achilles at the Michigan pro day, Thibodeaux is the next man up.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons: Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State

Some might point to Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett here -- and he's certainly in play -- but the wide receiver corps in Atlanta has been zeroed out this offseason. Wilson is a pro-ready, savvy receiver with jaw-dropping ability after the catch and sweet feet in his route tree.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN): Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

A quarterback or pass-rusher would be preferred here, but there isn't one available who fits the value of the No. 9 overall selection. Both positions will be high on the Seahawks' list in Round 2. For now, they get a cornerback I've compared to Richard Sherman based on physical traits.

10. New York Jets (from SEA): Drake London, WR, USC

Zach Wilson needs a receiver who can win over the top, beat up press coverage and be a go-to option in the red zone. That's London, who dominated Pac-12 defenses with 88 catches in eight games before fracturing his ankle in late October.

It's a wild top 10, and one trade will throw this all out of whack, but, Jordan, I'm eager to learn where you have Willis landing after his pro day and just how you see the offensive tackles and wide receivers shaping this mock.

Reid: How I see the top 10 picks right now

We both agree on the landing spot for Willis, Matt. He impressed again at his pro day. This class is similar to 2014, in that an edge rusher is likely to go at the top and then the top 10 involves a mixture of pass-rushers and offensive tackles with a surprise quarterback and wide receiver as possibilities. Here's what I'm thinking:

jax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan

After the Jaguars franchise-tagged Cam Robinson and signed Brandon Scherff in free agency, it became apparent that they were leaning toward addressing the defense here.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Detroit Lions: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

Expect this pairing to become more popular as we get closer to the draft. The breadcrumbs are apparent. The Lions' staff coached Willis at the Senior Bowl, and they have a ready-made offensive line, an ideal bridge option in Jared Goff and cap space to build around a young quarterback.

hou.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Houston Texans: Travon Walker, EDGE, Georgia

Walker is the biggest winner of the pre-draft process, as scouts and coaches have steadily praised him and his rise. Texans general manager Nick Caserio, who was part of the Patriots' glory days, experienced the importance of versatile base ends on defense. Walker has some Richard Seymour to his game, although he's lighter and has better physical traits.

4. New York Jets: Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon

Thibodeaux has been one of the most polarizing prospects in this class, but he's still my top-ranked defensive end based on his talent and traits. The Jets have to get better on the edge, and Thibodeaux satisfies that need as an immediate starter.

5. New York Giants: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

The Giants have a few directions they could go with two top-seven picks. The light turned on for left tackle Andrew Thomas last season, as he showed he was worthy of a top-five pick in 2020. Pairing him with Neal gives the team two promising bookends. Neal's experience at right tackle (13 starts in 2020) means he could transition there as a Day 1 starter.

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. Carolina Panthers: Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State

With only one pick inside of the top 100, this selection is likely to be a quarterback or offensive tackle. I'd lean toward the best prospect available, and Ekwonu would be the first offensive lineman Carolina has taken in the first round since 2008 (Jeff Otah). The Panthers could take an in-state player who has immediate value at left tackle opposite of Taylor Moton.

7. New York Giants (from CHI): Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

After fortifying the trenches, general manager Joe Schoen makes a luxury pick in Hamilton. The top-ranked overall player on my board, the versatility of Hamilton unlocks everyone on the defense. With defensive coordinator Wink Martindale's scheme relying heavily on consistency on the back end, the former Irish standout makes a lot of sense here.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons: Jermaine Johnson II, EDGE, Florida State

Outside of the Texans, there's a strong argument the Falcons have the league's worst roster. Following the trade of Matt Ryan to the Colts, quarterback sits atop the team's list of needs. With Marcus Mariota as a bridge QB option, the team must find a way to get better in the trenches. Johnson is a seasoned run defender and natural pressure generator. He's exactly what the team seeks for defensive coordinator Dean Pees' 3-4 defense, which had a league-low 18 sacks last season.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN): Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

The Seahawks have a huge hole at offensive tackle. This fit will be a bit of a litmus test for how the franchise feels about his run blocking due to its admiration for keeping things on the ground. Cross has put plenty of promising run-blocking reps on tape during his two seasons as a starter. He's the best pass protector in the class.

10. New York Jets (from SEA): Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

In a division that includes Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle and now Tyreek Hill, it's important to have strong corners. Gardner has shut-down ability on the perimeter, which the Jets have lacked for nearly a decade. This would mean two impact defenders for the Jets in the top 10.

I can't remember a top 10 being more unpredictable, Matt. There's still a long ways to go until we have more clarity.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33585799/nfl-draft-2022-buzz-rumors-10-pick-mini-mocks-notebook-lions-qb-decision-malik-willis-matt-corral-travon-walker-more

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 8.12.21 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I think you have to strongly consider Stingley.   

The injury and drop off in play the last two years scares me. If we're getting Freshman Stingley? Hell yeah I'd sprint to the podium and pick him up from Dulles myself. But it feels like too risky of a pick when there are safer bets at other positions of value.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The injury and drop off in play the last two years scares me. If we're getting Freshman Stingley? Hell yeah I'd sprint to the podium and pick him up from Dulles myself. But it feels like too risky of a pick when there are safer bets at other positions of value.

His pro day is going to be big for him.   Same for Drake London.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

People keep hyping Willis to Detroit but I don't see it. They have so many other holes to waste a top 2 pick on a super project raw QB who needs to sit for at least a year and Goff actually played well down the stretch for them. 

He’s going top 10, the value of a QB is too high. Look at what the 9ers did last year, I can absolutely see Willis going #2. These teams without QBs are not going to **** around and hope they can get one later IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He’s going top 10, the value of a QB is too high. Look at what the 9ers did last year, I can absolutely see Willis going #2. These teams without QBs are not going to **** around and hope they can get one later IMO. 

Yep I agree irrespective of what the perceived quality is like. 

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We need more picks. If we sit at #11, anyone bought into the idea of dropping back from say 47 to 61 I think it is with SF for an extra 3rd. 

No chance we can realistically go through the first 5 rounds with only 3 picks....

Yeah I've thought about that too as a possibility.   I think the 4th round territory among other things could be fertile ground for TEs in this draft.

The 2 of highlighted of late are Woods and Kolar.   I got to watch a lot more and I noticed a number of them have been getting good buzz. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33585799/nfl-draft-2022-buzz-rumors-10-pick-mini-mocks-notebook-lions-qb-decision-malik-willis-matt-corral-travon-walker-more

Miller: Stock way up on Virginia tight end Jelani Woods, who has wowed us with his measurables both at the combine and his March 24 pro day. The 6-foot-7, 251-pound Woods ran a 4.61 in the 40-yard dash at the combine while posting explosion and quickness numbers that are rare for his size: 37.5-inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump, a 4.22-second short shuttle and a 6.91 three-cone drill.

Those numbers might not mean much to the average fan, but they are golden to scouts. Woods' numbers make him one of the most physically gifted tight end prospects of the past 30 years. A blocking tight end at Oklahoma State until he transferred to Virginia last year, Woods exploded onto the scene with 44 catches and eight touchdowns in 2021. The combination of production and measurables has him climbing draft boards. He'll make an appearance in my top 100 and my top-five tight end rankings soon.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We need more picks. If we sit at #11, anyone bought into the idea of dropping back from say 47 to 61 I think it is with SF for an extra 3rd. 

No chance we can realistically go through the first 5 rounds with only 3 picks....

Agreed but it depends.  We could trade down in the 1st, I doubt it.  We could trade down in the 2nd more likely.  It also possible we could trade down in the 4th.  They traded down last year using our 2022 5th for a 2021 6th and 7th from the Eagles. 

• Like 1

Man, Travon Walker got an enormous combine bump.  Him in the top ten feels like about 15 to 20 spots too early.  He was the third best player on his own defensive line and his film isn't really that impressive.  His rise feels exactly like Dante Fowler's, and any team that picks him over Kayvon Thibodeaux is making a big mistake.

I've been watching Evan Neal and I definitely wasn't as impressed with him as I was just following Bama games in real time during their 2020 season.  He's got good hands and tremendous size and power but he is slow and stiff and not as good as Andrew Thomas or Penei Sewell were, and both of them struggled as rookies.  I just don't think he's that special despite his unbelievable stature and power.  He's going to work out and be a competent starting NFL OT, so I think you draft him early for safety at a valuable position, but that his upside is pretty limited.  I see an Andrew Whitworth-like peak. Or maybe like Orlando Brown or Jordan Mailata.  Rob Havenstein?  Reliable 8 to 9 AV per season at your left or right tackle spot.  Worth it in the top ten, but not top five.

Linderbaum is about twice as fast and fluid as him and projects to be a way more dominant NFL player at his position than Neal IMO, but he has to go to the right team and offensive schemes and he plays a much less valuable position.  But I would rather pick Linderbaum at 11 than Neal in the top 5.

The top seven defensive players are also better than Neal too, and it would be a mistake to pass on them for him IMO.

I was way more impressed with Icky Ekwonu than Neal.  To me he's got special upside given his incredibly explosive power, and he could be a Penei Sewell like presence for a team.  He is super raw, but so was Cosmi.  I would absolutely pick him if he made it to 11, and feel he is a worthy BPA candidate right alongside Jordan Davis and Devin Lloyd and Linderbaum.

I could also see Cross peaking as a better player than Neal too.  I feel like we're kind of sleeping on Cross a bit in here.  Only a RS soph but really good film against high level opponents.  Super blue chip pedigree as a former five star and the 27th overall player in the 2019 class.  He's who I was hoping Kenyon Green would be since he's a much better athlete.  Long arms and big, powerful hands.  Looks like he's got one of the best grip strengths of any of the OL prospects, just needs to get better at placing his punches (and if I were him, I would wear dark gloves so he might not get caught holding as much).  Anchor power is awesome.  He's fast too, and a decent move blocker who would be a strong fit in our offense whereas I don't think Neal would fit very well since his move blocks are trash.  I think he could play either RG or LT in our scheme.  He's not better than Linderbaum or Ekwonu, but he probably is better than Garrett Wilson and Drake London.  If I were picking between both Neal and Cross at 11, I think I would go with Cross.

• Like 3