Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

12 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I don’t mind your take at all here, my problem w/guys like McLaurin who have that kind of profile is that you’re deliberately playing the longest odds w/good draft capital. To be fair, sometimes that pays off. Greece did win Euro ‘04, Denmark won Euro ‘92, the Rams won the super bowl in ‘99, the Pats in ‘01. Outliers do pay off sometimes, it’s just incredibly rare. For every NC State or Villanova college championship there are dozens of Cinderella’s made road apples by the likes of UNC, or Alabama or Duke or Clemson etc. 

What McLaurin did for me is take a second look at Ruggs lol for all that good did me, but it did create a caveat for me. If you’re an elite athlete it is possible to get buried at an elite program like Ohio State or Alabama or Georgia etc. I now take that into consideration w/prospects now that College football has concentrated so much elite talent at just a handful of Elite football schools. I grabbed a few shares of Ruggs 18 months ago after my favs were gone basically because of McLaurin. Oh well, at least I was able to sell off a share before he went nutjob and killed somebody and their dog.

With Terry though it went beyond that.  When I hype intangibles with him.  I meant it on a billboard level.  I don't recall a player as hyped about him on that front in that draft.  It was said over and over again.  If I recall he was one of Urban Meyers favorite players ever on that front.  The scouts who are quoted on McGinn's articles were hyped about it.  It was here there and everywhere.  Again, and again and again.   It's tough to ignore that when its that intense from so many corners.  It kept coming up that he's a special dude.   Someone asked me after that draft which player has that similar intangibles hype and I go Michael Pittman.  It was on and on about him, too.

Bringing that to QBs, when I hear Jim Nagy who spends a week with players at the senior bowl tout Herbert and Jones are much better than most think and talked about their leadership and intangibles on display.  I take it more seriously now than I ever did.  I recall his stories about Mac Jones which I posted here at the time including that the dude even for just practice was the one and only player he saw that week up past midnight going over tomorrow's plays.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bringing that to QBs, when I hear Jim Nagy who spends a week with players at the senior bowl tout Herbert and Jones are much better than most think and talked about their leadership and intangibles on display.  I take it more seriously now than I ever did.  I recall his stories about Mac Jones which I posted here at the time including that the dude even for just practice was the one and only player he saw that week up past midnight going over tomorrow's plays.

Can't wait to hear Jim Nagy's take on the QB's during this years Sr Bowl. Like you, it will weigh on my grading out of them. The game and takes from guys with him are so important to these players from smaller schools

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DWinzit said:

This is a better group than last year, can't wait!

I am most interested to see Willis and Zappe again, this time playing with higher talent around him

Interesting. Not getting that vibe at all personally - yet. Pickett, Howell and Willis are the most appealing top prospects to me thus far. 

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Interesting. Not getting that vibe at all personally - yet. Pickett, Howell and Willis are the most appealing top prospects to me thus far. 

I like Howell and Corral at the top. I think Willis is next for me before Pickett. Willis and Zappe are the ones I really want to see and hear about while on this stage. 

I find myself intrigued by Zappe outside of the first round....lets say they do sign a Trubisky and don't go QB in the first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I like Howell and Corral at the top. I think Willis is next for me before Pickett. Willis and Zappe are the ones I really want to see and hear about while on this stage. 

I find myself intrigued by Zappe outside of the first round....lets say they do sign a Trubisky and don't go QB in the first.

That is an idea I think a couple of these QB will drop to second round. 

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

If they sign a Trubisky they better still draft a first round QB.

If they don’t they better hope Trubisky has every bit of his mojo working and can evolve his game into franchise level. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If they don’t they better hope Trubisky has every bit of his mojo working and can evolve his game into franchise level. 

I was listening to Sheehan today.  He thinks its Trubisky and draft a rookie.

His thought is they go the Eagles approach from years back at this which is throw multiple arrows at the dart board and hope to hit one.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

No argument here. But I could easily see them sign a Trubisky figuring they have upgraded QB then attack their next highest identified need of MLB with Dean or Lloyd or BPA in the first round. Then go QB in the second or third if they like someone.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to Sheehan today.  He thinks its Trubisky and draft a rookie.

His thought is they go the Eagles approach from years back at this which is throw multiple arrows at the dart board and hope to hit one.

Myself and you (along with others) have been advocating this approach. Me with Trubisky. You with Mariota. But neither of us against the other. 

So I’d like this. 

• Like 3

Just now, KDawg said:

Myself and you (along with others) have been advocating this approach. Me with Trubisky. You with Mariota. But neither of us against the other. 

So I’d like this. 

I prefer Trubisky due to the Bills ties with Ron and Mariota's injury history

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I prefer Trubisky due to the Bills ties with Ron and Mariota's injury history

I am ok with either Trubisky or Marrota.  Drafting a rookie I am so/so on. I am really hoping for a Ryan Tanahill like turnaround.

Edited by Redskins 2021

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

No argument here. But I could easily see them sign a Trubisky figuring they have upgraded QB then attack their next highest identified need of MLB with Dean or Lloyd or BPA in the first round. Then go QB in the second or third if they like someone.

I like this, but I’d add if they can get a pick(s) for Payne/Sweat and then move back into the first if they like most of the top 5/6.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I am ok with either Trubisky or Marrota.  Drafting a rookie I am so/so on. I am really hoping for a Ryan Tanahill like turnaround.

I would really like Howell or Corral to be our first round selection and eventual franchise QB for the next decade.

I want Trubisky to be the one that gives them time to learn the system, until ready to begin to be exposed slowly.

Then we have a rock as the backup QB for the next couple years unless he indeed does pull the old Tannehill turnaround

Yeah, so why isn't there a QB worthy of the top pick? And if not at No. 1, when will the first QB come off the board?

Reid: It's just one of those classes. Look at 2000, when a quarterback didn't get drafted until No. 18 (Chad Pennington to the Jets), and 2013, when a QB didn't get drafted until No. 16 (EJ Manuel to the Bills). Those years are rare, but there just haven't been huge risers like Zach Wilson, Joe Burrow or Baker Mayfield, let alone signal-callers like Lawrence and Justin Fields who we knew would be drafted early. The 2022 class doesn't have a surefire top-10 quarterback with early-starter physical traits.

And after polling scouts and executives throughout the NFL, there's a mix of opinions on who exactly is the top quarterback in this class. Some say Pittsburgh's Kenny Pickett, while others say Ole Miss' Matt Corral. Cincinnati's Desmond Ridder, Liberty's Malik Willis and North Carolina's Sam Howell have fans, too. The general feeling is that the first QB is likely to be drafted outside the top eight picks, which would make it the latest that the first one has been picked since that 2013 draft. Again, there's a lot that could change over the course of the next three months, but this is not a stellar QB class at the top.

Would the Lions be making the same decision at No. 1 if they land it?

Reid: Yes. It seems whichever team lands the top overall pick will be deciding which defensive end it prefers between Hutchinson and Thibodeaux. Each has the potential to be a productive pro, and Detroit needs help all over. Besides, the Lions are tied for the second-fewest sacks in the NFL (with the Jaguars) at 26.

It's also important to remember that Detroit has a second first-rounder this year. It has the Rams' selection, which is currently projected to be in the late 20s.

Who else could rise into the No. 1 pick conversation over the next few months?

Reid: Neal could certainly be in play, given Jacksonville's glaring need at the tackle position. But as of now and based on what evaluators in the league have told me, it seems to be a two-man race between Hutchinson and Thibodeaux. That's surprising, but don't expect a quarterback to rise that high.

LSU cornerback Derek Stingley Jr., Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton and Alabama receiver Jameson Williams are prospects who could go in the top five, but it's unlikely that any of them rises to No. 1 based on positional value. While things could change -- again, there's a lot of time left in the pre-draft process -- this pick could already be down to two prospects.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/32992154/race-no-1-pick-nfl-draft-2022-jaguars-lions-aidan-hutchinson-kayvon-thibodeaux-13-big-questions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah, so why isn't there a QB worthy of the top pick? And if not at No. 1, when will the first QB come off the board?

Reid: It's just one of those classes. Look at 2000, when a quarterback didn't get drafted until No. 18 (Chad Pennington to the Jets), and 2013, when a QB didn't get drafted until No. 16 (EJ Manuel to the Bills). Those years are rare, but there just haven't been huge risers like Zach Wilson, Joe Burrow or Baker Mayfield, let alone signal-callers like Lawrence and Justin Fields who we knew would be drafted early. The 2022 class doesn't have a surefire top-10 quarterback with early-starter physical traits.

And after polling scouts and executives throughout the NFL, there's a mix of opinions on who exactly is the top quarterback in this class. Some say Pittsburgh's Kenny Pickett, while others say Ole Miss' Matt Corral. Cincinnati's Desmond Ridder, Liberty's Malik Willis and North Carolina's Sam Howell have fans, too. The general feeling is that the first QB is likely to be drafted outside the top eight picks, which would make it the latest that the first one has been picked since that 2013 draft. Again, there's a lot that could change over the course of the next three months, but this is not a stellar QB class at the top.

Reid: Yes. It seems whichever team lands the top overall pick will be deciding which defensive end it prefers between Hutchinson and Thibodeaux. Each has the potential to be a productive pro, and Detroit needs help all over. Besides, the Lions are tied for the second-fewest sacks in the NFL (with the Jaguars) at 26.

It's also important to remember that Detroit has a second first-rounder this year. It has the Rams' selection, which is currently projected to be in the late 20s.

Reid: Neal could certainly be in play, given Jacksonville's glaring need at the tackle position. But as of now and based on what evaluators in the league have told me, it seems to be a two-man race between Hutchinson and Thibodeaux. That's surprising, but don't expect a quarterback to rise that high.

LSU cornerback Derek Stingley Jr., Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton and Alabama receiver Jameson Williams are prospects who could go in the top five, but it's unlikely that any of them rises to No. 1 based on positional value. While things could change -- again, there's a lot of time left in the pre-draft process -- this pick could already be down to two prospects.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/32992154/race-no-1-pick-nfl-draft-2022-jaguars-lions-aidan-hutchinson-kayvon-thibodeaux-13-big-questions

I would bet a significant amount of money that a QB goes top 8.  But I would say that QB4/QB5 could be had late in the first round, and if we get picks for Payne/Sweat, then we could trade back into the first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I would bet a significant amount of money that a QB goes top 8.  But I would say that QB4/QB5 could be had late in the first round, and if we get picks for Payne/Sweat, then we could trade back into the first.

Carolina if they don't trade for a QB almost for sure is taking one, so that would be top 8.  I'd guess right now Corral and Pickett go top 10 unless Pickett bombs the Senior Bowl.  Willis maybe if he kills it in the Senior Bowl. 

On 1/4/2022 at 8:09 AM, Koolblue13 said:

I think Ron's been hoping success would come to him naturally, but really **** the bed last year.

We needed (and still need unfortunately) a QB and MLB and he got cute about both positions. We should have gone after one of the QBs and not settled for a mid round LBer and we paid for it all year.

QB and MLB are not positions we can ignore this year and if they're the only two positions we upgrade and we're super aggressive and sell out to do it, so be it.

I think he's had bad luck and some bad decisions but some good too in the mix.  And its clear it will up his urgency in a big way for both spots.

I caught up and listened to Rivera's press conference.  Listened to another Keim podcast.  And the impression I get from it is this:

A.  they think both Holcomb and Davis aren't true Mike LBs.  It's not their strength.  Both of them hesitate too much, they are afraid of guessing wrong and play much better when they are directed.  They think Holcomb made strides this season but is better playing outside.

B.  to point A, they found Mayo is a smart player, decisive and can call plays.  Holcomb played better with Mayo playing Mike.  they don't see Mayo as the solution but they think having a smart Mike with good instincts would do more for this defense than any other thing and by a mile,

As for the off season, they swung and missed at Stafford.  Signed Fitz and he got hurt.   They didn't want to give up major draft capital so were only willing to trade up in the draft for a QB if they could do it cheap.

They've killed it on the O line over the last 2 years.  Schwetizer, Flowers, Lucas, Leno.   I was critical about Jackson but he's played better as the season marched on.   D. Carter, Ricky Seals were good cheap signings.

But Samuel not playing was killer bad especially compounded with Dyami being slow developing.  So the idea of giving Terry help totally bombed.  And Fitz who wasn't an injury prone QB in his career was lost for the season.

Sounds weird coming from me because I pushed Jamin Davis in several draft debates but I thought he was a trade down prospect -- late first, early 2nd.  Not my desire at 19.  I wanted to trade up for a QB everything being equal.  If we stood at 19 I wanted JOK or Darrisaw.    Having said that he screamed to me Will LB, not Mike.  Keim said asking around some scouts saw him possibly playing Mike, some saw him as a pure Will.  I guess they learned their lesson on it.

Clear as a bell their top desires this off season are:  QB and Mike LB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think he's had bad luck and some bad decisions but some good too in the mix.  And its clear it will up his urgency in a big way for both spots.

I caught up and listened to Rivera's press conference.  Listened to another Keim podcast.  And the impression I get from it is this:

A.  they think both Holcomb and Davis aren't true Mike LBs.  It's not their strength.  Both of them hesitate too much, they are afraid of guessing wrong and play much better when they are directed.  They think Holcomb made strides this season but is better playing outside.

B.  to point A, they found Mayo is a smart player, decisive and can call plays.  Holcomb played better with Mayo playing Mike.  they don't see Mayo as the solution but they think having a smart Mike with good instincts would do more for this defense than any other thing and by a mile,

As for the off season, they swung and missed at Stafford.  Signed Fitz and he got hurt.   They didn't want to give up major draft capital so were only willing to trade up in the draft for a QB if they could do it cheap.

They've killed it on the O line over the last 2 years.  Schwetizer, Flowers, Lucas, Leno.   I was critical about Jackson but he's played better as the season marched on.   D. Carter, Ricky Seals were good cheap signings.

But Samuel not playing was killer bad especially compounded with Dyami being slow developing.  So the idea of giving Terry help totally bombed.  And Fitz who wasn't an injury prone QB in his career was lost for the season.

Sounds weird coming from me because I pushed Jamin Davis in several draft debates but I thought he was a trade down prospect -- late first, early 2nd.  Not my desire at 19.  I wanted to trade up for a QB everything being equal.  If we stood at 19 I wanted JOK or Darrisaw.    Having said that he screamed to me Will LB, not Mike.  Keim said asking around some scouts saw him possibly playing Mike, some saw him as a pure Will.  I guess they learned their lesson on it.

Clear as a bell their top desires this off season are:  QB and Mike LB.

I think we should trade for Bobby Wagner that addition could really help. I heard he may be a cap cut but we got to do what it takes to get him. It will improve the other line backers play.

Edited by Redskins 2021

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With Terry though it went beyond that.  When I hype intangibles with him.  I meant it on a billboard level.  I don't recall a player as hyped about him on that front in that draft.  It was said over and over again.  If I recall he was one of Urban Meyers favorite players ever on that front.  The scouts who are quoted on McGinn's articles were hyped about it.  It was here there and everywhere.  Again, and again and again.   It's tough to ignore that when its that intense from so many corners.  It kept coming up that he's a special dude.   Someone asked me after that draft which player has that similar intangibles hype and I go Michael Pittman.  It was on and on about him, too.

The problem with that is I've heard that said about guys a billion times, and how many of those guys actually hit? Not a lot unless they also have the rest of the profile. There are a gigantic pile of irrelevant careers sitting in a pile labled "Coaches beloved hardest working guy". What made McLaurin intriguing to people was that the intangibles when combined with the athleticism made for a potentially elite talent. In retrospect it's clear that just like with the Jags, Urban was utterly clueless when it came to utilizing his potential. In retrospect McLaurin was the best WR to come out of Ohio State since Michael Thomas, who, it need not be resaid, was also underutilized. For whatever reason, quite often, Urban could build incredible college teams despite repeatedly underusing some of his best talent, at least w/those two anyway. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And needless to say, this is why so many of us were so irate when they didn't target an option in the loaded '21 class. Didn't matter if they weren't in love with the guys, it was obvious at the time, and before the time, FOR YEARS, that the '20, '21 and '23 classes all had great QB options and that '22 was the pot hole in that run of good classes much like 2019, 2016, '2013-2014 before it. 

Passing on QB last year was a catastrophic mistake, and now for the second time in four years, we choose the one poor year inbetween numerous quality years, to try and steal a franchise QB. Good luck with that approach, it's at best, blind fold, pin the tail on the donkey kind of approach. Hopefully they finally get lucky. 

Interesting that 5 of our last 6 first round draft picks have been on defense...that being the case our defense you would think will be dynamic next year and beyond. I hope we add the ND safety, Kyle Hamilton or the Georgia LB, Nakobe Dean in round 1. 

In free agency go get a big WR like Allen Robinson or Mike Williams to pair with Terry Mac and Logan Thomas. Sign a RB like Raheem Mostert or Rashad Penny in free agency to pair with Gibson and McKissic. 

Mitch Trubisky runs out of the tunnel to lead your 2022 Washington Warthogs into their new era.....what a script.

• Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

And needless to say, this is why so many of us were so irate when they didn't target an option in the loaded '21 class. Didn't matter if they weren't in love with the guys, it was obvious at the time, and before the time, FOR YEARS, that the '20, '21 and '23 classes all had great QB options and that '22 was the pot hole in that run of good classes much like 2019, 2016, '2013-2014 before it. 

Passing on QB last year was a catastrophic mistake, and now for the second time in four years, we choose the one poor year inbetween numerous quality years, to try and steal a franchise QB. Good luck with that approach, it's at best, blind fold, pin the tail on the donkey kind of approach. Hopefully they finally get lucky. 

Good stuff. It remains to be seen how many of the 2021 draft class actually pan out. Who knows, it might be best that we did sit it out and wait? As of today the 2021 class isn't looking like a bunch of franchise QB's but that's almost unfair to say right now.