Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Tentatively yes, but in the limited reps he's had, I still like Patterson's vision.

Thats fine. I'm not down on him, but a feature back under 200lbs is not really a thing. 3rd down or CoP back, I'm all for it, but he's not a RB1, which is what we are trying to make AG but he's not holding up. 

AG taking Over the 3rd down rile would be awesome and I like McKissic. He's been great for us, but we need a banger at RB1.

Our Oline is mauling people. Be a shame to waste that.

17 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I got spooked by his Georgia and Alabama film.  Particularly the Georgia game.  It made me feel that he was too slow to make the jump to the NFL.  But it also could have just been a bad day.  Anyone who has played a sport has had them.  In hindsight, he's pretty much the same prospect that Denzel Perryman was.  He's carved out a nice career as a rotation linebacker.  It's not the most ideal way to spend a second round pick, but probably not super different from spending one on a run stuffing IDL.

They knew they missed out on Milano and  David.  Wish they looked at Perryman to at least upgraded Bostic. Then bringing in another LB like perhaps Barnes later in the draft. That would have been pretty sweet. They need to again hit LB early in this draft for sure.

14 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

They knew they missed out on Milano and  David.  Wish they looked at Perryman to at least upgraded Bostic. Then bringing in another LB like perhaps Barnes later in the draft. That would have been pretty sweet. They need to again hit LB early in this draft for sure.

Cox in the 4rth is the one that grinds my gears.

• Like 1

Forgot what ex-player said it recently but he more or less said there is hardly any such thing these days as a RB who makes it undinged through the season, he joked aside from Derrick Henry and now you need two guys not just one.     All these guys for the most part get banged up.  McCaffrey is one of the best backs in the league but he gets hurt.  Barkley is built like a tank but the only season thus far he made it through is his rookie season.  Just a fact of life for RBs.   

I think you now need a 1A and 1B RB.  IMO Gibson is much more than a 3rd down back.  But I do think he needs another RB to help.  A tandem. 

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cox in the 4rth is the one that grinds my gears.

Yeah especially I am not sure Bates was good value in the fourth round.   It was a weak TE class and Bates may have been gone by the 5th round, but so far he hasn't showed a lot.   He got beat out for reps by a journeyman TE in Ricky Seal-Jones.   The thing is if you don't want to spend big on a TE there will always be Ricky Seal-Jones type players available.   You take Cox in the 4th round and perhaps you set us up to have a good LB for 5 or 6 years.   Now Bates may turn out to be decent, but I agree, right now it doesn't look like we got good value with that pick

• Like 2

Season is still young.   Their gambles thus far on the O line is paying off big time.  Leno has played well.   Ditto Cosmi.  Heck Moses couldn't even crack the lineup for the Jets and the Jets O line has been terrible, he's playing now because of injuries.  Flowers has been pretty good, too.

As for the secondary, too early to tell.  I am not high on William Jackson's play thus far compared to some others here.  He's been up and down and that's not a #1 corner kind of play at all.   But I like the player and I think he is an upgrade over Darby.  Darby is already hurt.  I think Jackson will keep getting better. 

WR they've been unlucky.  I love Curtis Samuel.  Will see hopefully him play a lot soon.  Dyami Brown hasn't played well but rookie WRs often take time to develop.  Humphries so far seems like just a guy but I think he can keep better and they only paid a ham sandwhich for him.  I like Milne.  I guess with all the injuries we might see what he can do soon.

Watching this defense implode on the backend had made me appreciate Moehrig more.    I loved him before draft.  I recall saying it would be tough to beat this team deep the way they were beaten last year because his instincts seemed so good as for covering the deep ball among other things.  After watching the defensive debacle of the first 4 games including with all these broken coverages for big gains -- it makes me long for someone like Moehrig more.  We seem to be badly lacking a smart-instinctual player in the backend to direct things.

I liked a bunch of LBs in the last draft, Jamin among them.  But I thought Jamin at 19 was a slight reach.   He is a bit raw.  I wanted Koramoah. And I don't love the trial by fire way they worked Jamin in camp where they made him the Mike and the playcaller.  The idea seemed to be if you make it really hard from the jump then everything else in comparison will look easy and plus naturally you want him to know the defense.  I would have eased him in instead.  Play weakside not Mike.  Build his confidence.  I get Rivera keeps saying he wants his Kuechly.  And yeah Kuechly killed it from the start.  But Kuechly did play Mike in Boston College and from what I recall was a three year starter.  Apples to oranges to Jamin.  Jamin was basically a one year starter who didn't come on until the end of his last season.  He needs time. 

The development that bugs me the most is we've gone were its laughable to compare our offense to Dallas but conversely heck at least it would be laughable to compare their defense to ours. I think now they are better on both sides of the ball.  Their defense actually looks to be a better unit overall than ours and that's with them missing Lawrence right now.   Parsons looks like a stud.  Ditto the DT they took in the third.  Ditto T. Diggs.    Will McClay who is their defacto GM these days from what I hear, is considered one of the best in the game as to the draft. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/las-vegas-raiders-trevon-moehrig-dallin-leavitt-karl-joseph-nfl-gus-bradley-jon-gruden

Trevon Moehrig: Everything the Raiders Thought He Would Be

Trevon Moehrig is turning heads, inspiring his teammates, and making many remember the former Las Vegas Raiders greats.
Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 2
  • Thumb up 1

What's killing me is that the frigging Cows draft much better than we do. Yeah, it sucks that they are probably better on BOTH sides of the ball now due to drafting wisely & well. I DESPISE admitting that, but it is sure how it looks, at this point. Our top 3 defense is nonexistent. The BS talk by members of the D about setting the sack record was just that, talk. The one who never talks **** like that, J Allen, has been far and away our best defensive player. They really got a bit full of themselves after our misleading division title last year. This is when you begin to find out what you have & they better get busy, quickly. Sorry for the rant. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Killing me with the Moehrig stuff @Skinsinparadise. You know that was my clear #1 guy (with Harris as my second choice). 

Why do we hate the FS position? It just kills me. Curl is a great young all around safety, but we need that deep safety to centerfield this defense and allow the corners to man up. 

Sure, yep, I was a big Moehrig guy too.   I recall saying I am so used to our safeties being in the wrong place and getting burned by smart QBs who know how to manipulate them.  And Moehrig always seemed to be around the ball.  Instead of being a beat behind like our safeties typically are, he was right in the mix of the action.  So he struck me to be really appealing.

I know its more red meat fun to kill our defensive coordinators as being the culprit to our woes but the more I've thought about it, the more it hits me that we are badly missing that QB on the field.  That FS.  That MLB.  I commented on this in another thread but I was at a game where I had a great line of sight to watch London Fletcher and it was amazing to see what he did presnap including redirecting guys who were out of position.  And he did it a lot.  A good FS does the same. 

I don't think we got that dude at FS or MLB.  Most loved Gregg Williams, me included, though I recall he had some loud critics here at the time.  But its interesting to see so many players who played under him swear he was the best coach they ever played for.  Heck even for Gregg's defenses they needed an Antonio Pierce or Fletcher.  I am sure some here recall the stories about how Sean Taylor's play fell off the first year he lost Ryan Clark.  And the articles about how Clark helped Taylor when they played together but Archuleta isn't that kind of player who knows how to direct so Sean was a bit lost initially.  As good as Gregg Williams was, the one season his defense was a hot mess was the one where they lost both Pierce and Clark. 

My point is in the heat of the battle your defensive coordinator isn't bailing you out.  Things happen so fast.  You need a player or two who understand both the defense and what's being done to attack them.  Gregg Williams would talk about how Pierce and then Fletcher were like extensions of him on the field.  Look you got me if Del Rio is the answer or not but I got little doubt that he has no cerebral genuises on the field who are extensions of him.  They seem like lost puppies out there.   And yeah i don't think it would be an issue if they had a Ryan Clark and London Fletcher on the field. 

I recall an article after the Tampa game which Brady said studying the WFT defense he felt that the secondary could be had.  If they can contain the D line than the secondary could be picked apart.  He did so.  And he might have set the template for the rest of the league because every other team has picked the secondary apart too since.  Ironically, I recall making this point when talking about Moehrig before the draft.

Yeah we need a MLB and FS IMO and not just a talented one but smart players who can prevent the chaos that seems to happen with this team in coverage.    No doubt we need another LB but I think some might be sleeping on FS and CB.  IMO the secondary has been almost as bad as the LBs, some like the PFF guys and others actually think the secondary is the #1 problem with this team.  I don't go that far myself.  I do think LBs are the top weakneses but I don't think the secondary is running a mile behind it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

What's killing me is that the frigging Cows draft much better than we do. Yeah, it sucks that they are probably better on BOTH sides of the ball now due to drafting wisely & well. I DESPISE admitting that, but it is sure how it looks, at this point. Our top 3 defense is nonexistent. The BS talk by members of the D about setting the sack record was just that, talk. The one who never talks **** like that, J Allen, has been far and away our best defensive player. They really got a bit full of themselves after our misleading division title last year. This is when you begin to find out what you have & they better get busy, quickly. Sorry for the rant. 

From over the years, we should know that bragging leads to bad things with this team. :ols:.    Rex guaranteeing they'd win the east.  Smoot saying they are the beasts of the east after their 6-2 start.  Shanny talking about how they have a top defense and then ending up bottom rung.  There was the Haslett unleashed when he joined Jay's staff.  Ryan Clark when coming back saying this is the best secondary he ever played with.  On and on.  

• Like 1

Some of these points play into the discussion, hopefully they figure this crap out. 😧

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41917/ron-rivera-on-washingtons-struggling-defense-we-are-so-close

"Offenses aren't doing too much to confuse us, we've just got to go do it and play fast and be destructive," Collins said.

Saints quarterback Jameis Winston, holds the ball longer than every quarterback in the league except Baltimore's Lamar Jackson. Winston averages 3.12 seconds before he throws the ball, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But he's only been sacked seven times.

That could provide opportunities for the pass rush, but third-and-long has been a big problem for Washington. It ranks 31st, allowing a 44.8% conversion rate on third-and-7 or longer. Rivera wants better coordinated pass rushes and they had a handful against Atlanta, including one sack by end Montez Sweat after he took out two blockers on a stunt. But if the coverage breaks down it doesn't matter. And when Washington's coverage holds up, the rush hasn't been producing.

Washington's secondary includes two holdovers from 2020 -- though one of them, Collins, missed most of last season with an Achilles tear.

That has led to inconsistent coverage or breakdowns from players trying to cover up for someone else, then leaving a big gap that opposing quarterbacks find. Corner William Jackson III shined in man coverage with Cincinnati, and Washington has played more man this season, ranking 13th in the number of times it has been man in coverage compared to 30th last season.

But Jackson is still adapting to Washington's zone coverage. At times, his drops might be a couple yards deeper than the corner on the other side.

"He's still getting comfortable," Rivera said.

Said Jackson: "It's a lot of things I'm not familiar with that I haven't done. The coaches are doing a great job of trying to get me caught up to speed with how they like things. ... Every game I'm feeling more confident, so we'll get it together."

Another time it might be safety Bobby McCain racing up to cover a short route rather than staying deep. That resulted in a 42-yard touchdown pass to his vacated area against Atlanta. They want him to be more patient.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure, yep, I was a big Moehrig guy too.   I recall saying I am so used to our safeties being in the wrong place and getting burned by smart QBs who know how to manipulate them.  And Moehrig always seemed to be around the ball.  Instead of being a beat behind like our safeties typically are, he was right in the mix of the action.  So he struck me to be really appealing.

I know its more red meat fun to kill our defensive coordinators as being the culprit to our woes but the more I've thought about it, the more it hits me that we are badly missing that QB on the field.  That FS.  That MLB.  I commented on this in another thread but I was at a game where I had a great line of sight to watch London Fletcher and it was amazing to see what he did presnap including redirecting guys who were out of position.  And he did it a lot.  A good FS does the same. 

I don't think we got that dude at FS or MLB.  Most loved Gregg Williams, me included, though I recall he had some loud critics here at the time.  But its interesting to see so many players who played under him swear he was the best coach they ever played for.  Heck even for Gregg's defenses they needed an Antonio Pierce or Fletcher.  I am sure some here recall the stories about how Sean Taylor's play fell off the first year he lost Ryan Clark.  And the articles about how Clark helped Taylor when they played together but Archuleta isn't that kind of player who knows how to direct so Sean was a bit lost initially.  As good as Gregg Williams was, the one season his defense was a hot mess was the one where they lost both Pierce and Clark. 

My point is in the heat of the battle your defensive coordinator isn't bailing you out.  Things happen so fast.  You need a player or two who understand both the defense and what's being done to attack them.  Gregg Williams would talk about how Pierce and then Fletcher were like extensions of him on the field.  Look you got me if Del Rio is the answer or not but I got little doubt that he has no cerebral genuises on the field who are extensions of him.  They seem like lost puppies out there.   And yeah i don't think it would be an issue if they had a Ryan Clark and London Fletcher on the field. 

I recall an article after the Tampa game which Brady said studying the WFT defense he felt that the secondary could be had.  If they can contain the D line than the secondary could be picked apart.  He did so.  And he might have set the template for the rest of the league because every other team has picked the secondary apart too since.  Ironically, I recall making this point when talking about Moehrig before the draft.

Yeah we need a MLB and FS IMO and not just a talented one but smart players who can prevent the chaos that seems to happen with this team in coverage.    No doubt we need another LB but I think some might be sleeping on FS and CB.  IMO the secondary has been almost as bad as the LBs, some like the PFF guys and others actually think the secondary is the #1 problem with this team.  I don't go that far myself.  I do think LBs are the top weakneses but I don't think the secondary is running a mile behind it. 

What a great post. Thanks. It's weird, because it seems like we target draft captains and leaders, but nobody steps up. I think that would have come if we moved fuller to FS, instead of corner. Then let McCain play the slot. Not sure what else could be done. I'm excited to see Davis more. I think the green dot is really hampering Holcomb's development. 

• Like 1

My biggest targets as of this moment for this team going into next year:

1) Top End QB

2) Franchise Tackle

3) True MIKE

4) Field General Free Safety

5) Long athletic dynamic corner

6) Bellcow back

7) Tight End

I don’t think 1 and 2 are going to be possible.

Theres an abundance of backers making an impact right now. Going to let the dust settle a bit there before I comment too far but I’m a big fan of Christian Harris. A few years ago I was on the Kenneth Murray train and I was made fun of for it at times :ols:

Lower round guy I like Overshown from Texas. He’s not a physically imposing thumper or a total stud in coverage but he’s an all around backer that finds himself next to the ball at all times. 

4) I loved Caden Sterns in the draft. He was my 2nd FS last year in the draft behind only Moehrig. I haven’t watched enough of the secondary to get a good feel for what’s coming this offseason but I’m going to be taking a good look for guys that are of that kind of mold.

5) Abundance of corners possibly coming out. Will be taking a long look. 

6) BiJan is awesome from Texas. But he’s only a Sophomore. He is the best back in college ball and a lock to be a good pro imo. Still, lots of backs to choose from.

7) Jalen. Wydermyer.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

On another note: Rattler is going to transfer after this season and won’t be in the draft. Riley benching him time and time again tells me things just aren’t clicking between the two of them. And Rattler has a NFL future to protect and Riley has a program to think about.

The kid that’s in right now is NOT better than Rattler right now so there’s something going on there that we don’t know about. Though I do like Caleb Williams. 

I wouldn’t mind Rattler in a Canes jersey.

Watching the Ole Miss game. Corral is getting through reads, navigating the pocket, throwing passes with touch and accuracy.

He is clearly the top QB right now imo.

Without extended video watching and just based on what I’ve seen so far…here’s my QB rankings:

1) Corral

2) Willis

3) Howell

Biggest Drop: Rattler - won’t enter draft

Edited by KDawg

Bijan Robinson is special. Just a sophomore but kid is electric in the backfield. Couple of silly runs against the Sooners today. Incredible talent.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

My biggest targets as of this moment for this team going into next year:

1) Top End QB

2) Franchise Tackle

3) True MIKE

4) Field General Free Safety

5) Long athletic dynamic corner

6) Bellcow back

7) Tight End

I swear it feels like we have the same list of needs every freaking year. 😆

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Watching the Ole Miss game. Corral is getting through reads, navigating the pocket, throwing passes with touch and accuracy.

He is clearly the top QB right now imo.

Without extended video watching and just based on what I’ve seen so far…here’s my QB rankings:

1) Corral

2) Willis

3) Howell

Biggest Drop: Rattler - won’t enter draft

Yeah I am watching it back and forth with the Oklahoma game.  Corral is the player I've pimped almost nonstop since the start of the season.  And today is no different.  I wish he was a bigger dude.  But outside of that, he IMO his some special tools.  

He can throw a really nice deep ball.  Fit the ball in tight windows.  He can run.  He can make plays off script.  The kicker for me is he's a tough dude, baller.  I'll double down with that I said on the Heinicke thread, for those there that dig Heinicke to me Corral is the more physically gifted version of him.  Their style of play remind me of each other but Corral IMO has an NFL arm. 

I love QBs who put nice arc and air on the deep ball with some zip on the throw at the same time.  RG3 could do it.  Kirk could do it.  But outside of those 2 IMO we've not had a QB who could throw a good deep ball notwithstanding Brunell having some moments.   Haskins and Campbell had rocket arms but threw a real flat deep ball.  Corral does it well.  Actually so does Howell but I don't like him as much as Corral. 

Edit:  none of that is a slam at Heinicke.  I like Heinicke.  Just saying Corral has some gifts that I wish Heinicke had but their style of play remind me of each other. 

• Like 1