Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

36 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Eli is a super odd duck though. During the regular season he was rarely playing at a truly elite level, but he was somehow pretty much always on and clutch during the playoffs and SBs. But yeah, I never truly saw Eli as an elite QB. He was good, but more of a top 10-ish guy than top 5 or top 3.

I wouldn’t say Eli was ever top 10. He was closer to Flacco than his brother.

two examples above of clutch game managers who have rings. I see heiny fitting right in that mold and I believe his skillset allows for a higher ceiling. Both of them had stellar Ds, so hopefully we can keep improving on that front.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CTskin said:

two examples above of clutch game managers who have rings. I see heiny fitting right in that mold and I believe his skillset allows for a higher ceiling. Both of them had stellar Ds, so hopefully we can keep improving on that front.

Eli definitely had years where he was top 10. Either way, comparing Heinicke to a HoFer is a bit premature. We should probably wait until he actually does something first. Just saying he's similar to Eli in some ways doesn't suddenly make him the next Eli. He also has plenty in common with other QBs who never did anything of note.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Yeah this is what I was getting at. People bring up Dilfer when talking about Heinicke, but maybe Eli and Flacco are better comps in terms of overall caliber.

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

That is absolutely not true regarding his playoffs. Outside of one playoff run he was pretty meh. The other superbowl run he was more a game manager behind that defense and the other 4 appearances he went 0-4 and had a TD/INT ratio of 3/7

On both SB runs he was absolutely on during the whole thing. 2007 he had 6 TDs to 1 INT and in 2011 he had 9 TDs to 1 INT. He was absolutely part of the reason they won those years.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think I'll wait until Heinicke wins some playoff games before even starting to think about comparing him to Eli. He's also putting up similar numbers to tons of other QBs who did nothing. Eli isn't as good as his brother, but he's still probably a HoFer.

Eli 2007: Comp 56.1% 23 TD to 20 INT

Eli 2011: Comp 61.0% 29 TD to 16 INT

Those are his SB run stats. Get your D to the next level you can win multiple SBs with Taylor too. 

Eli was in the league for 14 years. The highest Comp he has ever had was in 2018 at 66%. His total career is 60.1%. Let's give TH 3 years and see where we at. And yes while still looking for your elite QB in the draft. 

Probably HoFer because he won 2 SBs. Not because he was elite. 

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Yeah this is what I was getting at. People bring up Dilfer when talking about Heinicke, but maybe Eli and Flacco are better comps in terms of overall caliber.

Heinicke is 6-6 as a starting NFL QB with 19 TDs and 14 INTs. Can we wait a bit before deciding which Super Bowl winner he's the most like? Maybe until he wins a playoff game or two?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Eli definitely had years where he was top 10. Either way, comparing Heinicke to a HoFer is a bit premature. We should probably wait until he actually does something first. Just saying he's similar to Eli in some ways doesn't suddenly make him the next Eli. He also has plenty in common with other QBs who never did anything of note.

Cmon man. Have you ever watched a draft or read the scouting on a college player; the analysts list comps. They’re not saying they’re going to be a hall of fame or predict a level of success… that’s all I’m doing here.

I haven’t looked but I’d wager Eli never had a statistically top 10 regular season. I say that but I feel like I recall one outlier year where he was good in fantasy. Point is, when it’s debatable, they’re not elite/top 10.

Pat Mahomes 48 rushes 250 yards 2 TD’s 3 fumbles..

Taylor Heinicke 52 rushes 289 yards 1 TD 3 fumbles..

Pat Mahomes 3,384 yards passing 25 TD’s 12 INT’s 21 sacks 3 fumbles QBR 56.6 RTG 92.4

Taylor Heinicke 2,809 yards passing 18 TD’s 11 INT’s 24 sacks 2 fumbles QBR 50.2 RTG 92.1

In no way am I comparing Heinicke’s overall ability to Pat Mahomes.  I’m just saying that Mahomes is having a down year and Heinicke isn’t supposed to even be in the league and those numbers are pretty telling if you wanna know why people are excited about Heinicke‘s moxy and gutty performances in the clutch.  I’LL TAKE IT! awesome will ferrell GIF

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Cmon man. Have you ever watched a draft or read the scouting on a college player; the analysts list comps. They’re not saying they’re going to be a hall of fame or predict a level of success… that’s all I’m doing here.

I haven’t looked but I’d wager Eli never had a statistically top 10 regular season. I say that but I feel like I recall one outlier year where he was good in fantasy. Point is, when it’s debatable, they’re not elite/top 10.

I get it, but at this point it's just wishful thinking. Which is fine; I probably shouldn't be a debbie downer and rain on the parade. But the fact is that Heinicke so far statistically has far more in common with QBs who never did anything than those who were greats.

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

In no way am I comparing Heinicke’s overall ability to Pat Mahomes.

Then stop doing it.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

I was a little slow getting to the party tonight, so I just spent the last 10 - 15 minutes catching up, and a lot of what I first saw was the long discussion on the bad pass / almost interception yesterday. No doubt, the first words out of my mouth were "Taylor! Oh no!" The good news is, it was not an interception. Could have been. Maybe should have been. But it wasn't. So what did TH do yesterday. Well, he completed 76.7% of his passes. He threw for two TDs. He led the last drive for the winning FG. He had a passer rating of 101.5. Does all of that overshadow one almost interception. Heck yes it does. TH did not have a good game. He had a really good, bordering on great game. He totally outplayed Carr. Just take a look at his stats along with the final score. The Team flew home with a win, and he was a big part of that, along with the defense, the O-line, Gibson, Thomas, and, oh yes, some kicker named Johnson, I think. Cheers, all! 🍻 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Pat Mahomes 48 rushes 250 yards 2 TD’s 3 fumbles..

Taylor Heinicke 52 rushes 289 yards 1 TD 3 fumbles..

Pat Mahomes 3,384 yards passing 25 TD’s 12 INT’s 21 sacks 3 fumbles QBR 56.6 RTG 92.4

Taylor Heinicke 2,809 yards passing 18 TD’s 11 INT’s 24 sacks 2 fumbles QBR 50.2 RTG 92.1

In no way am I comparing Heinicke’s overall ability to Pat Mahomes.  I’m just saying that Mahomes is having a down year and Heinicke isn’t supposed to even be in the league and those numbers are pretty telling if you wanna know why people are excited about Heinicke‘s moxy and gutty performances in the clutch.  I’LL TAKE IT! awesome will ferrell GIF

If you wanna make that comparison then you have to take into consideration how much Washington receivers have bailed out Heinicke and how many KC receivers let Mahomes down by poor effort. Just go back and watch his first INT against us, when Hill just bobbled an easy TD. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If you wanna make that comparison then you have to take into consideration how much Washington receivers have bailed out Heinicke and how many KC receivers let Mahomes down by poor effort. Just go back and watch his first INT against us, when Hill just bobbled an easy TD. 

Like I said Mahomes = down season and Heinicke was an XFL backup.  Still, the numbers are closer than any rational human being would ever bother to boggle the mind thinking about Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I get it, but at this point it's just wishful thinking. Which is fine; I probably shouldn't be a debbie downer and rain on the parade. But the fact is that Heinicke so far statistically has far more in common with QBs who never did anything than those who were greats.

Honestly, not sure about that. Again, I’m not talking about team record, just straight up statistical comparison. He’s currently middle of the pack across the board… we found this in an undrafted no name and you’re still naysaying like he’s no good and we shouldn’t put any stock in him. The kid still has room to grow and has shown enough that he can get the job done but it’s not Brady so it’s not good enough for misterim. Just take a step back and realize there’s room for optimism here.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Honestly, not sure about that. Again, I’m not talking about team record, just straight up statistical comparison. He’s currently middle of the pack across the board… we found this in an undrafted no name and you’re still naysaying like he’s no good and we shouldn’t put any stock in him. The kid still has room to grow and has shown enough that he can get the job done but it’s not Brady so it’s not good enough for misterim. Just take a step back and realize there’s room for optimism here.

When did I say he's no good? Yes, I think that's what he is: a middle of the pack QB. My gut is that's his ceiling but I could be wrong. And there's nothing wrong with that. My only point was that at the moment he statistically has more in common with QBs who never did anything than he does with those who were greats, which some of you guys seem intent on comparing him to.

I'm fine with optimism, but some of this is just homerism...and to be honest that's somewhat understandable because as a fanbase we've been so QB starved for so long that we're basically trauma survivors at this point. We latch onto anything that gives us any hope. I like what Heinicke has done so far and he's clearly outplayed his draft status, or lack thereof. But I'm not going to start comparing him to great QBs when he hasn't even completely proven that he's a middle of the pack QB yet.

• Like 2

I’m a big fan of Heinicke back after the Giants win and consider him a certain possibility as our starting qb for the foreseeable future but cmon can we cool it with the signing him to a new contract until we see what happens the rest of the season? 

If he gets us in the playoffs and we even win a playoff game, then we can and should discuss an extension but not now. Next year Fitzs contract will be off the book but we still have some young players on defense and Terry on offense to sign. I understand how you may want to be ahead of the curve so we can sign him for less. 

On 12/6/2021 at 12:00 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Before we get too carried away about the locker room - was the locker room championing Heineke when we lost 4 straight and he looked like a guy who was on the couch last year?  The concencus in the locker room absolutely matters and I think it's great that guys are getting behind him.  But those feelings can be fleeting when things go the other way, which is why I think it's a bit of a stretch to get carried away about all that.  When a team starts 2-6 and knocks off 4 straight, I fully expect every locker room to be in full support of the QB.

"I just know this team believes in Taylor Heinicke," Jonathan Allen said. "We're playing hard for him and he's going to lead us."

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, -JB- said:

What if you factor in interceptions dropped by the opposition.  Heinicke would have plenty more lol

They already have a stat that keeps track of that...

From last year:

No idea bout this year...not sure if this group has put out those stats or if they wait until the end of the season or if they just copy those stats from other sites lol...

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

Then stop doing it.

Comparing stats is not the same as comparing ability.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 2

So I was doing some more QBR Analysis of the league's QBs and trying to surmise a record based on this. Here's a look at some QBs in the league and their number of games with a QBR above 60 (counted as a W) compared to the number of games with a QBR below 40 (counted as a L). I'm ignoring QBRs between 40 and 60. 

josh-allen (6-3)

tom-brady (8-1)

teddy-bridgewater (3-6)

derek-carr (6-4)

kirk-cousins (6-4)

jimmy-garoppolo (4-3)

taylor-heinicke (4-4)

justin-herbert (6-2)

jalen-hurts (5-3)

patrick-mahomes (4-2)

dak-prescott (4-5)

matt-ryan (4-6)

matthew-stafford (8-2)

ryan-tannehill (6-4)

carson-wentz (8-3)

I like these game by game looks at QBR instead of an overall look at QBR because you can get a feel for how they played throughout the game. And you don't have the effect of one bad game diluting the impact of the other games. 

• Like 3