Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

The NFL should have NEVER allowed someone so young as 34 to become an NFL owner...I don't care how much money a person that age has, there is a certain maturity that is lacking at that age that would be present in older billionaires. In Snyder's case, it was compounded by the fact that he never went to any kind of business school and dropped out of college, so he never really learned anything about working with other people on a professional, rather than authoritarian, level. Most of his money was made through aggressive acquisitions of smaller companies, which doesn't really require any negotiation skills when you're in an advantageous position, so it's not surprising he would be so bull-headed once he bought his treasured NFL team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Well that should put more pressure on the NFL to talk about Snyder at tomorrow's meeting. It didn't take long for Tennessee to reach an agreement, whereas a new stadium here is nowhere in sight despite years of failed attempts with DC, VA, and MD.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

17 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

The NFL should have NEVER allowed someone so young as 34 to become an NFL owner...I don't care how much money a person that age has, there is a certain maturity that is lacking at that age that would be present in older billionaires. In Snyder's case, it was compounded by the fact that he never went to any kind of business school and dropped out of college, so he never really learned anything about working with other people on a professional, rather than authoritarian, level. Most of his money was made through aggressive acquisitions of smaller companies, which doesn't really require any negotiation skills when you're in an advantageous position, so it's not surprising he would be so bull-headed once he bought his treasured NFL team.

"The NFL should have NEVER allowed someone so young as 34 to become an NFL owner..."

Watched Wolf of Wall street the other night...been a while since I saw it....kinda made me think of Dan to some extent..

26 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

The Titans have a really nice stadium currently.  Hate to see that taxpayers pony up $1B+ to pay for a new one so soon.  I went to the game back in 2011, I think. Drove downtown.  Parked.  Then didn’t need my car for the rest of the trip.  You can walk over a bridge to the stadium.  It was one of the better setups I’ve been to.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

"The NFL should have NEVER allowed someone so young as 34 to become an NFL owner..."

Watched Wolf of Wall street the other night...been a while since I saw it....kinda made me think of Dan to some extent..

Na. Jordan Belfort was an ahole but was a much better businessman and his employees loved him. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Good point. I suggest setting a minimum age of 35, like U.S. presidents.

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

They clearly didn't do their due diligence on Dan.

Allowing that incompetent rat into the room is one of the single worst decisions the NFL has made in its history.  And that rat is now fat and happy - not a care in the world that the NFL, nor his own teams' fans doesn't like him.  He's dug in, made himself at home inside a huge hunk of Swiss cheese, and the NFL is having a devil of a time figuring out how to get him out without laying waste to the interior of the house.   

dub GIF

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’d imagine every owner without a QB engages with the top brass on how they are going to fix that.  Owner involvement on the QB position is not an issue isolated to Snyder.  Getting the QB position wrong and overpaying to do so is a hallmark Snyder move though.

Listened to Wickerham on 980 today.  I was doing something else duriing the segment so I'd have to relisten to be sure.  But my takeaways in that half listen was it was somehwat of a Ron and Dan thing.  Ron wanted Wentz.  Dan wanted Wentz.  If I heard him right he actually reversed it by saying Rivera was cool with it -- implying it might not have been Ron's original idea but he was cool with the idea from whereever it came from (Dan?)I'd have to relisten. 

Gave the vibe that Dan orchestrated the deal itself -- so my takeaway was Dan perhaps was excited about Wentz and he was the dude who came up with the compensation side of the deal. 

The compensation part of the deal IMO was the bad part of the deal and do I think that fits Dan to a tee, yep.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Wickerham on 980 today.  I was doing something else duriing the segment so I'd have to relisten to be sure.  But my takeaways in that half listen was it was somehwat of a Ron and Dan thing.  Ron wanted Wentz.  Dan wanted Wentz.  Gave the vibe that Dan orcestrated the deal itself -- so my takeaway was Dan perhaps was excited about Wentz and he was the dude who came up with the compensation side of the deal. 

The compensation part of the deal IMO was the bad part of the deal and do I think that fits Dan to a tee, yep.

So then what's the use of having Martin and Marty in the FO if Dan is deciding compensation?

Once again, not allowing the people you hired to do their jobs.  So predictable.  

Just now, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I was amazed that the Ders paid $28 million to Wentz, while the Steelers only paid $7 million for Trubisky, who is actually playing better than Wentz.

Not amazed in the slightest.

It's what we do.  

• Like 1

Wickerham other stuff

The Tanya idea is partly driven by she might be more willing at some point to give up the team unlike Dan if pressure mounts versus Dan who snickers at it all.  But fan unrest is a possible varaible here and he agrees they might see it as a no go for that reason to Tanya.

Dan won't give up the team willingly, has no shame about how bad it can get, wants to give the team to his kid

Suggested they talked behind the scenes to about 10 owners in the mix of their 30 plus sources, none of whom like Dan.

Jerry telling Dan he might not be able to have his back anymore -- he doubled down as its true.

One owner told him the fact that Dan is looking at a 55,000 seat says it all as to how he's killed this franchise

Jason Wright (am guessing he's not long for this job after this) told people he's not sure he can change the culture with the current ownership situation

His guess is Dan doesn't last long.  He thinks the owners want him out, and yes 24 plus owners but want to find a way to do it without too many casualties

The women who accused Dan of sexually harassing her has spoke to the NFL in the current investigation.  Dan's team tried to give her more money recently to stay quiet but she turned it down and talked to the league.  

The arena for Dan left with the owners is the stadium.  If he pulls it off, Dan likely survives.  The author doesn't think he pulls it off.

Some owners talked about starving Dan as to getting loans for a new stadium and would use his current 450 million loan as part of the reason -- there is so much debt the NFL allows NFL owners.  But some of them think Dan is so vindictive that he would say screw it I will just ride this out at Fedex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I was amazed that the Ders paid $28 million to Wentz, while the Steelers only paid $7 million for Trubisky, who is actually playing better than Wentz.

I thought they already benched Trubisky for Pickett?  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree. What do we know based on past stories

A.  Dan obsessed with Qbs.  Thinks that's the resason why they haven't won.  Cerrato talked about it not long ago saying that's what he and Dan thought.

B.  Dan's spot that he interferes historically is QB.  Jeff George.  Fell in love with RG3, though Shanny was with him.   Ramsey acccording to a story was him.  According to Keim he would tell anyone who listened that Haskins was the best player in college football.  McNabb was driven by hiim. 

C.  the dude is Gretta Garbo yet in his first public statement in eons he says "we finaly have a QB."

D.  A pulitzer prize writer who had 30 plus sources and wrote a story against one of the law suit happy people in the country wrote that Dan did.

So that's a lot to ignore.  I would say at a minimum Dan was more than just a dude that signed off on the deal, I'd put money that he was beyond jazzed about it -- his public statement on this alone proves that point.  So I gather he was somewhat involved.  Did he drive this?  The writers said yes.  I don't know but I suspect his involvement was more than just Atta Boy Ron!

Dan vs Ron is certainly not 100% either way for current team.  But here is an example of where I see the issue being more owner driven issues.

Ron and Dan both like Wentz (I do think that's likely true), but Ron feels the extra pressure to lock in the deal.  As a result he is willing to take on all $28 mill cap hit to avoid losing the deal, when his personal level was 2 3rds and Colts eat 10 million of 2022 salary.  He doesn't negotiate because of the pressure to "finally get a QB" and loses that 10 mill in cap.  Could that 10 mill been the amount that saves some combination of Flowers, Collins, Ion...  I can't know for sure, but I believe Dan has pressured coaches/staff over time and it cost draft picks (Haskins), or money (Wentz?) or both and these things add up over time.  Did the budget changes cause Ron to ditch these 3 guys or others?  Or did he just think they'd be better without them?  I think the first salary cut suggested at least Collins would have stayed without other changes.

I am not here to say Rivera has done well, but I think there is a reason we've consistently gone cheap and cut players that change our starting line-up or at minimum make our backups inexperienced players.  We've seen bad depth charts year after year.  Historically, it was signing players to large contracts and having little left to sign backups (and generally trading away depth level draft picks).  Now it feels far more like bad cap management: dead money, bad signings (Collins, WJIII) and a what has become a love of dumpster diving.  

To me it feels like a moron owner that messes up every business he does, has recruited a mediocre coach to run a team that is consistently set up to lose ground on better run orgs.  And will continue to fail because of these continuous actions that result in the "death by 1000 cuts" path.  Each may not feel like a big deal, but the on field product is something that no human, including Joe Gibbs has been able to thrive.  So Ron and co may deserve a label as mediocre (or even bad if you really like), but to me I don't speak much about the coaching as it just feels like a waste of time.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

So Ron and co may deserve a label as mediocre (or even bad if you really like), but to me I don't speak much about the coaching as it just feels like a waste of time.  

I've hit my breaking point on caring about the coaching this year.  My caring level on that front has been waning year after year.  But now i really don't care at all -- a big part of that is I think its now or never to get rid of Dan, and I think we got a fighting chance to get rid of the incompetent douche and ironically him firing Ron might help the cause. 

Aside from some stragglers who don't see Rivera as a good guy, even some of Rivera's critics see him as a good person.  Heck Goodell referenced believing in Rivera as part of his Congressional testimony.  I think Rivera's good guy image around the league has given Dan a buffer and some credibility.  Some say its not deserved and Rivera is Zorn level bad but its clear that most of the league-national media disagrees. 

I used to like having that buffer but now i am not so sure.  I think the team imploding, Ron being fired and Dan going on a wild goose chase for a new HC might be the tonic we need to double down on the dumpster fire vibe.  I think it would be a clown show.   Spags was a nobody at the team and turned a HC offer years back.  Todd McShay said in a podcast that he tells his friends ariund the league not to take a HC job with the Commanders.  On and On.

I know some here are exciting about firing Ron and can't wait to see who the next guy is.  I am not one of these people.  But the fact that I think the next guy episode is more likely a dumpster fire scenario is making me want to see it unfold. 

Also if the arena for Dan to survive is a stadium and their thought is Virginia would reconsider if the season went well -- nothing better to thwart that than the season not going well.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know some here are exciting about firing Ron and can't wait to see who the next guy is.  I am not one of these people.  But the fact that I think the next guy episode is more likely a dumpster fire scenario is making me want to see it unfold. 

I just want to see Dan gone,  I'm tired of dumpster fire.  If that's the piece needed to do it, so be it.   I miss just taking about football and actually enjoying it.   

1 minute ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

FWIW, Zorn was 12-20 over two seasons, while Riverboat Ron is currently 16-24. 🥺

Both Zorn and Cerrato are available for a reunion, right?

9 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

FWIW, Zorn was 12-20 over two seasons, while Riverboat Ron is currently 16-24. 🥺

Zorn was a punchline for reasons that went beyond his record.  I don't see Rivera as a league wide punchline.  But regardless i don't care, I hope all the Rivera haters get what they want but for an entirely different reason. 

• Thanks 2