Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

I've heard some speculate that the willingness of many to protest during the Covid Pandemic proves that the Coronavirus is no big deal. I think it demonstrates the exact opposite. If people are willing to put their lives on the line for this it shows you just how desperate the Black Lives Matter issue really is.

Engaging in behavior that spreads disease during a pandemic doesn’t just risk your own life though does it?  Others will die.  I have no issue calling protesters brave for facing down police and simply for speaking out and taking a stand.  They are brave for that, and just as importantly, they’re right.  

But I do not see spreading a pandemic as brave, and certainly not something to be singled out and celebrated as an act of courage.  Endangering others is what it is.  In life sometimes we don’t get to be entirely right in everything we do.  

And we don’t know what the effect on the general public as it relates to wearing masks and abiding by social distancing guidelines is yet.  It may very well prove that the media switching topics and people seeing images everyday of mass gatherings does make it harder for experts to get the general public to comply.  It was an uphill battle under the best of circumstances.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bravery does not mean prudent, @Destino  in fact, very often, it’s the opposite. I have no problem with you thinking the risk of protesting is not worth it right now, but I disagree that it isn’t brave. 

it’s brave on quite a few levels. It’s also both dumb and smart. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Dismantling the current police system  and union structure is the right start. 

Just marveling at the "100% extreme liberal" Tailgate advocating busting up the only government employee's union that the Republicans don't want to make illegal.  

Not everyone wants to wait in their house to die, we've had a least two recent cases  the cops came in the house and killed black people "by accident".

"Whoops, I thought this was my house?"

"Oops, this is not that drug dealers address after all?"

Country had 200 years to keep this Protest for feeling necessary and threw out the playbook for how to deal with Ebola.

Certainly not what I voted for.

This country is marked by its population having a line in regards to habitual line stepping, it's how we got our independence in the first place, it's in our DNA.  

If folks want to protest, let them protest.  I'm not ready to tell folks my security is more important then their justice, if that's what they really want and not a free widescreen.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

I've heard some speculate that the willingness of many to protest during the Covid Pandemic proves that the Coronavirus is no big deal. I think it demonstrates the exact opposite. If people are willing to put their lives on the line for this it shows you just how desperate the Black Lives Matter issue really is.

This might be more appropriate for the Covid-19 thread, but here's my take...

I think the willingness to protest and abandon social distancing is another example of how the rules of this pandemic are important until they are rules we don't feel like following ourselves. It's very easy to tell someone to stay inside. It's much more difficult to follow those directions when there's something we want to do or someplace we'd like to go. These demonstrations are just another example...they are bigger and historical, sure. But they are just an example of the sliding of scale of risk we take. To many, this was the straw that broke the "stay at home" camel's back. 

And, for the record, I'm not saying it's right or wrong...it took something less for me to start going out more often, but we all have a tipping point where we are comfortable accepting the risk of going outside and living our lives. 

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins
  • Like 2

American Academy of Ophthalmology Statement on Rubber Bullets for Crowd Dispersion

In the past week, Americans engaged in peaceful protests have been blinded by the use of rubber bullets fired at the face.   

While classified as non-lethal, they are not non-blinding. These life-altering eye injuries are a common result of urban warfare, rioting and crowd dispersion. We have seen it around the world, and we now see it in the United States.  

Following numerous serious injuries in the past two weeks, the American Academy of Ophthalmology calls on domestic law enforcement officials to immediately end the use of rubber bullets to control or disperse crowds of protesters. The Academy asks physicians, public health officials and the public to condemn this practice. 

Americans have the right to speak and congregate publicly and should be able to exercise that right without the fear of blindness. You shouldn’t have to choose between your vision and your voice.

Edited by China

Watchdogs Say Assaults on Journalists Covering Protests Is on a 'Scale That We Have Not Seen Before'

Reports of attacks on journalists or other violations of press freedom have been coming at a much faster rate than usual at the U.S. Press Freedom Tracker, managed by the Freedom of the Press Foundation. The uptick in claims comes as reporters cover the protests against police brutality that have sprung up across the country in response to the murder of George Floyd on May 25.

Between May 26 to June 3, the tracker received more than 279 claims of violations to press freedom—claims that can range from physical assault, arrest, damage or seizure of equipment, and several other additional criteria. Those overseeing the tracker have documented 100 to 150 claims per year for the past three years. But the past few days alone investigators have been handling more than that average.

“It’s a scale that we have not seen before,” Kirstin McCudden, managing editor of the U.S. Press Freedom Tracker, tells TIME. “It’s unprecedented in scope without a doubt.”

While investigations into each claim are still underway, officials involved with the tracker say it is clear there has been an increase in the specific targeting of journalists. “We do know that protests are incredibly dangerous places for journalists,” McCudden says. “Our data shows that across all the years.”

What sets the past few days apart is the targeting of journalists by law enforcement even after they have identified themselves as members of the press, says Courtney Radsch, advocacy director at the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), a nonprofit dedicated to press freedom and partner of the Press Freedom Tracker. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 3