Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Redhead Day is May 26! Here are 10 fun facts about red hair

China

Paging @Bang:

If you've got red hair, it's your time to celebrate because World Redhead Day is Tuesday, May 26.

While National Love Your Red Hair Day pops up every November, redheads also get another unofficial holiday each May. 

It's not clear where this holiday got its start, but it's become an integral part of the unofficial holidays calendar. 

So to help everyone celebrate, here are 10 fun facts about the redheads in your life:

1. Less than 2% of the world's population has red hair. The highest concentration of redheads is in Scotland (13%), followed by Ireland (10%).  

2. Having red hair and blue eyes is the rarest hair/eye color combination possible. The odds of a person having both of those recessive traits is around 0.17%. Instead, most redheads have brown, hazel or green eyes, according to Medical Daily. 

Click on the link for the rest

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

RIP, Bangs flaming locks.

Been hoping to run into a beautiful ginger for a long time. It's like looking for a unicorn

Strangely enough, last time I was in Cleveland I saw 3-4 different ginger hammers over that weekend...clockstoppers.  That’s like 2 years worth down in Richmond.

Maybe it’s something in the water up there.

10 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

Origin....? Living close to an ocean may have been the reason why the gene exist. Child from the Solomons Island.

Hmm, never seen this before. I've known a few albino black people over the years with red hair, but never black people with more normal skin tones

5 hours ago, China said:

Paging @Bang:

If you've got red hair, it's your time to celebrate because World Redhead Day is Tuesday, May 26.

While National Love Your Red Hair Day pops up every November, redheads also get another unofficial holiday each May. 

It's not clear where this holiday got its start, but it's become an integral part of the unofficial holidays calendar. 

So to help everyone celebrate, here are 10 fun facts about the redheads in your life:

1. Less than 2% of the world's population has red hair. The highest concentration of redheads is in Scotland (13%), followed by Ireland (10%).  

2. Having red hair and blue eyes is the rarest hair/eye color combination possible. The odds of a person having both of those recessive traits is around 0.17%. Instead, most redheads have brown, hazel or green eyes, according to Medical Daily. 

Click on the link for the rest

I guess I'm in that 0.17%. Ok when I was younger I was.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Hmm, never seen this before. I've known a few albino black people over the years with red hair, but never black people with more normal skin tones

You mean pigmentations and with blond, white, and red hair. Like green, hazel, and blue eyes are all over the world. Afu-ricans “humans” migrated.

Mongolia

main-qimg-84077d05e6f31c97ad22dbbf124435

• 11 months later...

Study is missing #11: Gingers have no soul.

Although I had light brown hair, I had a red beard, which started turning grey at 22, and has been white since my 30s...so I am calling b.s. on #6. I am left-handed, so I guess I let that one stand.

There are some scientists who believe the redhead gene comes from neanderthals (who were redheads).

Vitamin D for sale.

one of those top ten under the original link also seems to be true.. i keep my head practically bald. but when it grows in a bit, no gray. I'm 57, beard is white. But no gray on my head.

~Bang

Archived