Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rivera's conundrum

joeken24

I like the hiring of Rivera. He strikes me as a guy that will bring solid structure and discipline to the Redskins. Outside of media communication (and obviously winning), he's fairly close to Belichick's approach to discipline football IMO. However, it will be interesting to see how he handles Williams and Dunbar. He's already said that he'll let go of guys that don't want to be here. Some in the thread are telling Trent and Dunny to leave now and never return if they don't want to be here. I suppose they are considering their actions as releasable. We all know when a guy in New England opens their mouth about most anything, they're shipped out immediately. Now of course this team doesn't have the luxury of plug and play like the Patriot do. But you have to start somewhere if you want to impose your way. So Williams, like Dunny wants a deal or a trade. Both have apparently gone to the media about it. Should that be deemed as they don't want to be here? Further, is this the strategy (leaking) of Redskins' players moving forward under this regime? Rivera's got some splainin to do if this continues IMO. I get both players predicament (particular with the CBA looming). The players are virtually asking to be a free agent one year early so if there is a stoppage, they would at least have their signing bonus. I tell you, Rivera needs to weigh the message this sends and how his initial words are playing out. What a conundrum....

He needs to get rid of their A$$E$ this with Trent was 75% money 25% health from the start and now Dunbar is trying to follow when he cant even stay on the field yeah he's good when on the field but how often is that. I'm all for players getting paid but they both knew when they signed these years was not guaranteed. I've gotten sick of this and if they don't want to be here get rid of them both and i know people are going to say we need this and that and Haskins need him BUT we didn't win with either of them so it wont matter if they are gone get what we can and move on Kerrigan is not acting out and that's how it should be handled and I believe he will be extended. Out of the three I thought it was Kerrigan who should be gone I have changed that now and neither IMO are worth huge contracts at this point and I love them both but I'm a Redskins fan and will be when they are gone. Time to start the new culture!!!!!!!!!! Let's move forward #HTTR#NEWCULTURE

To be fair, the Redskins players have seen two guys suffer what could be career ending injuries (Alex and Reuben) and they all know that there is no loyalty in the NFL....everyone is a businessman. I don't think it's that they don't want to be here as much as they want to be anywhere that will pay them more than what the Skins are. I'm sure they would both be fine staying here. This kind of stuff is happening on every team and all of the players doing it are not selfish jerks. I don't agree with Trent's public demands, especially after sitting out last season, but these agents know what they are doing in most cases. I definitely hope we can keep Dunbar and even Trent, but this is what the league is. 

17 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

To be fair, the Redskins players have seen two guys suffer what could be career ending injuries (Alex and Reuben) and they all know that there is no loyalty in the NFL....everyone is a businessman. I don't think it's that they don't want to be here as much as they want to be anywhere that will pay them more than what the Skins are. I'm sure they would both be fine staying here. This kind of stuff is happening on every team and all of the players doing it are not selfish jerks. I don't agree with Trent's public demands, especially after sitting out last season, but these agents know what they are doing in most cases. I definitely hope we can keep Dunbar and even Trent, but this is what the league is. 

But don't they know this coming into the league even before coming into the league? We all played this game knowing we could be hurt at any moment them more so because they played at higher levels than most and they knew what contract they was signing also. What I am saying is that it is a better way of doing it Dunbar didn't even give them a chance to even talk to him about an extension. Get your money but it's a much better way. I want to build a better team and this is not the start we need make the example get rid of them and let's move on with players who wants to be here. 

So in the very near future, negotiations will begin for Haskins and McClaurin. If the team's offer is not to their liking, they will seek more. It will become public news rest assured. And of course this media will spin it as if they had a bunch of reporters crowded up in his driveway while they're doing sit-ups demanding to get more money or a trade. So lets say they're good to great players (like Dunny and Trent are) and they've suffer some injuries as most player will from time to time. Does that indicate that they don't want to be here? And does your decision on rudely kicking them from the team lay solely in their injuries (which they can't really control)? I'm of the mindset that both Trent and Dunny are not doing all the grandstanding the media indicates. They're two humble dudes trying to take care of their families while at the same time playing for the team that chose them. I just think we as fans buy too much into the media's playbook. They thrive on pitting Kobe vs Lebron, Rep vs Dem, white vs black, the list goes on and on. I'm into win win.

42 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

So in the very near future, negotiations will begin for Haskins and McClaurin. If the team's offer is not to their liking, they will seek more. It will become public news rest assured. And of course this media will spin it as if they had a bunch of reporters crowded up in his driveway while they're doing sit-ups demanding to get more money or a trade. So lets say they're good to great players (like Dunny and Trent are) and they've suffer some injuries as most player will from time to time. Does that indicate that they don't want to be here? And does your decision on rudely kicking them from the team lay solely in their injuries (which they can't really control)? I'm of the mindset that both Trent and Dunny are not doing all the grandstanding the media indicates. They're two humble dudes trying to take care of their families while at the same time playing for the team that chose them. I just think we as fans buy too much into the media's playbook. They thrive on pitting Kobe vs Lebron, Rep vs Dem, white vs black, the list goes on and on. I'm into win win.

Well said, the agents are behind a lot of this stuff too, leaking stuff to the media, etc.....

Trent bothers me though...he just skipped a season and now wants more money to play this year? I may try this tactic at my work....sit out a year and come back demanding more money.

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Well said, the agents are behind a lot of this stuff too, leaking stuff to the media, etc.....

Trent bothers me though...he just skipped a season and now wants more money to play this year? I may try this tactic at my work....sit out a year and come back demanding more money.

i understand. But it was cancer and most companies are going to be fairly sensitive to that. Particularly when they know that a doctor has told you to get your things in order. That has to be the most horrifying thing a doctor could ever tell a person, right? Couple that with a clear **** up on the part of Bruce. Obviously the owner dealt with it when the opportunity presented itself. I'd chalk that up to Dan (who also had a fight with cancer) saying no harm no foul. The business side is the business side and again, I'm sure Dan understands that as well.

15 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

To be true, Trent sitted out until week 8, reported, then was shut out by Bruce.

Now he can play this game if he wants, because he knows we don't have anyone better than him at the position which give him some leverage.

Williams had no intentions of playing last year!  Thus the hole helmet thing!  Now he wants a new contract with up front money. And we don't even know if he can wear a helmet.  

Point being, Bruce didn't shut him down,. He shut himself down.  Bruce just didn't pay him for not playing.  

And this "conundrum" is just the tip of the iceberg. Surviving under Snyder is number 1 followed by the need to draft a QB instead of a DE. They will never win with Haskins but since he is Snyder's new RGIII, Rivera is stuck with Haskins and will be blamed for the results.

Bumping this up to the top of the forum.  Charger's LOT Okung traded to Carolina for a healthy Pro Bowler OG Turner.  How much input and power does Dan have over RR?  I'd be shipping TW who, IMO has and is a distraction to this team ASAP for a draft pick or player of need.  RR was/is supposed to have complete power and say over this team.  Does he?

On 3/2/2020 at 11:39 AM, Smurf3 said:

And this "conundrum" is just the tip of the iceberg. Surviving under Snyder is number 1 followed by the need to draft a QB instead of a DE. They will never win with Haskins but since he is Snyder's new RGIII, Rivera is stuck with Haskins and will be blamed for the results.

Short sided point of view IMO. You're actually proclaiming Haskins a bust in a half season sample? You are more like Snyder than you think (ready to make another QB move to continue your laughing stock reputation). Three offensive coordinators in one season, a terrible coaching staff from the start, a horrible GM, a second team offensive line, rookie WRs, and a terrible defense. Wow. I guess you were looking for Haskins to come in the league in GOAT status. There's only one GOAT bro and he'll never be a rookie. 

On 3/7/2020 at 9:09 PM, joeken24 said:

Short sided point of view IMO. You're actually proclaiming Haskins a bust in a half season sample? You are more like Snyder than you think (ready to make another QB move to continue your laughing stock reputation). Three offensive coordinators in one season, a terrible coaching staff from the start, a horrible GM, a second team offensive line, rookie WRs, and a terrible defense. Wow. I guess you were looking for Haskins to come in the league in GOAT status. There's only one GOAT bro and he'll never be a rookie. 

To be honest, this is short sighted as well.

Say what you will about Jay, he didn't see Haskins as a starter. Then Callahan was in and he also struggled to put Haskins in games. Like them or not, that is 2 seasoned head coaches that had no faith in him. The kid is most likely a very good backup at best.

10 hours ago, rick7423 said:

To be honest, this is short sighted as well.

Say what you will about Jay, he didn't see Haskins as a starter. Then Callahan was in and he also struggled to put Haskins in games. Like them or not, that is 2 seasoned head coaches that had no faith in him. The kid is most likely a very good backup at best.

You might want to add,  two seasoned losing coaches. Bottom line, we'll see if your backup theory comes true. Remember your seasoned salt boy Gruden also said Keenum and Colt were solid QBs. How'd that pan out? Don't see you screaming about those vets that played worse with more (coaches confidence, time in the league...hell one's been in the offense for ever and is a straight bum). Haskin not only played through poor play calling. He also played with scared coaches. Now don't get it twisted...I am by no means trying to sell you on Haskins or to proclaim him as ready to take the league by storm. Some people got their mind made up on things. But I'm positive many more times than once, this coaching staff was putting their offense in ****ed up positions. Example at the 6:50 mark where nobody is even remotely set up for success. What the **** was that? 

Here's a question. What if the Redskins draft Tua and Haskins beats him out or Tua gets hurt in the preseaon or Tua just ****ing sucks because he doesn't have the arm strength to make tight window throws. Remember he played with some pretty elite freaking WR on a dominant team...kind of like Haskins. 

I agree with Spears on Tua. He's injury prone, hasn't played well against good defenses, and is obviously hasn't busted a grape in the pros. He's also not deemed a generational talent to be going all in on. There are surely question marks you cannot deny.

All I know is that under Snyder the Redskins used to at least have good off seasons before they actually had to start playing games. Now they can't even have a good off season. I can't believe I was compared to Snyder because I think they need to acquire ( draft, free agent or whatever) another QB. Merely trying to overcome another boneheaded Snyder mistake. Have fun Ron.

Glad they told Williams to find a team that wants him.  He and his agent are nuts.  Some team may give them what they want but what if they come up empty.

You cannot let the players dictate the team's draft and free agent decisions.  Let Dunbar play this year and if he has a good year then reward him.  Tell Williams

to not let the door hit him on his way out.

On 3/11/2020 at 12:24 AM, joeken24 said:

You might want to add,  two seasoned losing coaches. Bottom line, we'll see if your backup theory comes true. Remember your seasoned salt boy Gruden also said Keenum and Colt were solid QBs. How'd that pan out? Don't see you screaming about those vets that played worse with more (coaches confidence, time in the league...hell one's been in the offense for ever and is a straight bum). Haskin not only played through poor play calling. He also played with scared coaches. Now don't get it twisted...I am by no means trying to sell you on Haskins or to proclaim him as ready to take the league by storm. Some people got their mind made up on things. But I'm positive many more times than once, this coaching staff was putting their offense in ****ed up positions. Example at the 6:50 mark where nobody is even remotely set up for success. What the **** was that? 

Here's a question. What if the Redskins draft Tua and Haskins beats him out or Tua gets hurt in the preseaon or Tua just ****ing sucks because he doesn't have the arm strength to make tight window throws. Remember he played with some pretty elite freaking WR on a dominant team...kind of like Haskins. 

I agree with Spears on Tua. He's injury prone, hasn't played well against good defenses, and is obviously hasn't busted a grape in the pros. He's also not deemed a generational talent to be going all in on. There are surely question marks you cannot deny.

You are right, 2 loosing coaches, not denying that at all. And, I really was not impressed with either. My comments are accurate though. Even though both were losing coaches, they are still high quality NFL coaches who know how to evaluate players and if they are ready and capable of being NFL starters. Neither thought so.

Also, Case and Colt were just really bad, but neither of those were considered franchise players as many on this board, and elsewhere, think Haskins is.

All I meant to say, and did so poorly, is that Haskins has potential, but, IMHO ONLY, is not the answer. Nothing you can post (videos or anything) will change my mind other than him and his play on a week by week basis. I really hope I am wrong. Only time will tell.

23 hours ago, rick7423 said:

high quality NFL coaches who know how to evaluate players

The rest of post was reasonable. Every so-called NFL coach is not NFL caliber. As a matter of fact, as soon as their cronyism ticket runs out, they're out. But we're in agreement in wanting Haskins to do well. That's the bottom line anyway.

• 1 month later...

Archived