Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Games of the XXXII Olympiad - Tokyo Japan - What Was Your Favorite Olympics Moment?

PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, Borgold said:

I think a lot of the Biles stuff is misaimed. I liken her decision to a baseball pitcher who doesn't have their best stuff and gets pulled. It's not selfish to step off the mound if you are spraying balls and giving up hits, balls and homers. Biles didn't have it and recognized it. From that perspective the most unselfish thing to do is to step aside and not hurt the team.

someone compared it to vontae davis retiring at halftime it's like it's not even the same thing

Just now, tshile said:

Wish they’d shut the **** up about biles and spend their time talking about the people actually competing. 

they make the other members of the team talk about it. How pathetic. Leave it alone. 

agreed, the new hype is about Suni Lee now

great job on the spinny bar thingy

Ps - I have nothing but love for biles. When my kids are old enough to understand and respect what they’re seeing her YouTube video is on the short list of things I’ll make sure they know happened. I’m just sick of the media making the other girls answer to it constantly. They deserve their own moment. And biles should go away (for now). It’s the god damn led for every segment every day now. It’s obnoxious.

• Like 2

My one bit of micro-sympathy is that I bet the producers did a ton of prep work on Biles. All that research, the videos, graphics and whatnot is now useless, and they now have to scramble. 

on the other hand, that’s the job and often the best part of the job. I don’t deny it’s fun to hear about the superstars or get your 1:1 with Lebron, Ovi, or Biles, but discovering that fresh story or uncovering that cool personality is often even better. 

The Olympic story isn’t Biles. It’s all of it and Biles absence offers the opportunity to introduce and excite the audience about all these other great athletes… they don’t even have to be American. 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 12:33 AM, Destino said:

Who the hell watches dressage?  What the hell even is this crap?  I watched it for a while because my daughter loves horses, and I couldn’t figure out what I was looking at.  The horses are tip toeing around one after another, and apparently some tip toe better than others?  I’d rather just watch horses hang out with other horses and do horse stuff.  

It would make dressage much better if the horse got the medal, and had to climb onto the podium to get it.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Wish they’d shut the **** up about biles and spend their time talking about the people actually competing. 

they make the other members of the team talk about it. How pathetic. Leave it alone. 

There’s been a lot of unintentional disrespect from the start.  Maria Taylor kicked off the gymnastics coverage by saying something like “Biles is so great she’s decided to share the spotlight with her team” (paraphrasing here) and then introduced her team.  It’s normal to cover the GOAT excessively, but they shouldn’t act like the other gymnasts are orphans she picked up en route to Japan.  They all earned their positions.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Not sure what's more annoying, people criticizing her or people acting like they're her knight in shining armor in her defense.  The whole thing is overblown.  I can't believe this made the front page of the WaPo the other day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I feel like the Biles thing should have been news for one day.  It's over.  An American still won the all around and is now pretty famous.  Not a bad outcome.

On to other stuff.

FWIW I am off of Twitter, which is the only social media i use (besides ES), for the duration of the Olympics both because I don't want to see results before the events are televised and because people have the absolute worst takes.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

FWIW I am off of Twitter, which is the only social media i use (besides ES), for the duration of the Olympics both because I don't want to see results before the events are televised and because people have the absolute worst takes.

Ahhh, which is why you belong.  

Couldn't resist.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Not sure what's more annoying, people criticizing her or people acting like they're her knight in shining armor in her defense.  The whole thing is overblown.  I can't believe this made the front page of the WaPo the other day.

The entire discussion of hero or villain is ridiculous.  If she had twisted her ankle would we be doing this?  No.  Think about how this played out, she tried to compete, faltered, and decided it was safer to pull out.  That’s exactly how an athlete trying to push through an injury plays out.  It’s neither heroism or weakness, it’s just unfortunate.  

Mind.  Body.  It’s all the same **** in the end.  Either they can compete, or they can’t.  Plus, if people really want to normalize mental health shouldn’t we treat it as normal?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Destino said:

The entire discussion of hero or villain is ridiculous.  If she had twisted her ankle would we be doing this?  No.  Think about how this played out, she tried to compete, faltered, and decided it was safer to pull out.  That’s exactly how an athlete trying to push through an injury plays out.  It’s neither heroism or weakness, it’s just unfortunate.  

Mind.  Body.  It’s all the same **** in the end.  Either they can compete, or they can’t.  Plus, if people really want to normalize mental health shouldn’t we treat it as normal?  

It's especially ridiculous when it's a sport that people only pretend to care about every 4 years, too.

I agree, it's unfortunate.  And I also agree that Biles is an incredibly tough competitor.  Everything she's been through has been very well documented.  

Mental health is a weird issue these days, like you I think it should be normalized.  It's also an issue that someone can say "My mental health" like Biles did and there are immediately polarizing takes that are made by the same predictable parties.  There are a lot of people on twitter running to her defense (knights in shining armor) like I said earlier, and the people who want to criticize her are generally on the right.   You know, the same people who love to talk about it when protecting the 2A.  

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's especially ridiculous when it's a sport that people only pretend to care about every 4 years, too.

I agree, it's unfortunate.  And I also agree that Biles is an incredibly tough competitor.  Everything she's been through has been very well documented.  

Mental health is a weird issue these days, like you I think it should be normalized.  It's also an issue that someone can say "My mental health" like Biles did and there are immediately polarizing takes that are made by the same predictable parties.  There are a lot of people on twitter running to her defense (knights in shining armor) like I said earlier, and the people who want to criticize her are generally on the right.   You know, the same people who love to talk about it when protecting the 2A.  

I agree, it should have been a short lived discussion and the Olympics broadcast should have moved on faster.  The reactions I saw on Twitter though were first from the typical asshats bashing her, then the rush to defend.  Dont know if that was everyones experience, but it was mine.  Which is sooooo typical.  One side being assholes and the other side calling them out for being assholes and defending the subject.  Pretty much everything in a nutshell.

Im with the notion of the last few posts that its neither heroic or shameful.  Its just a thing that happened, good on her for being self aware and strong enough to make a tough decision like that.  

Its just that people like Matt Walsh spend an entire day firebombing her for it so of course there is a wave of support to build her back up, and it goes a bit too far.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

The entire discussion of hero or villain is ridiculous.  

Hero/villain thing in the context of sports are almost always lathered with a heavy dose of hyperbole.  Very few actions within sports would rise to the level of actual heroism or actual villainy.  

• Like 2

The PxP person for rowing isa ****ing weirdo.  She’s talking about rowing, but I feel like she’s narrating an Edgar Allen Poe story. 

“The coxswain creeps inside of your head and tells you he needs jus a little more right before THE DOUBT creeps into your head.”

• Haha 3