Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NPR: Cities And States Are Saying No To Cashless Shops

China

Maybe, because a lot of cashier's can't count anymore??? Everything is computerized now-a-days. It tells you exactly how much change to give back, if you enter the numbers properly. Maybe some businesses are tired of errors being made. Just saying!   I think businesses still need to accept cash until it is not a form of currency anymore. Just my 2 cents.

When you have folk like Bloomberg wanting to limit how much Dr Pepper a restaurant can sell me I think restricting your purchase options is a real possibility if they have the option.

I admit I'd enjoy doing so to others......but I admit I'm a controlling asshole.

I get more annoyed at cash only places. 

I barely ever carry cash on me, and when I do it is usually just left over spare random dollars that are leftover from cash I had on hand for a specific purchase.  I usually save those dollars specifically for tips, instead of writing an add-on tip to my card purchase.  (often at micro breweries)

Question: are the merchant fees for card transactions different when they are using an actual machine vs those tablet card readers that seem very common in small businesses now?

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Question: are the merchant fees for card transactions different when they are using an actual machine vs those tablet card readers that seem very common in small businesses now?

in general no

the costs for the machine or tablet can vary, but the merchant fee is the same generally

I can kinda understand why a business might prefer not to take cash.  

It costs money to handle cash.  Cash registers.  Paper trails.  Counting the money at every shift change.  Hand delivering the cash to the bank, or paying for an armored car.  A safe.  

Gotta confess.  When I see a business that's cash only?  I immediately assume that they're either cheating on their taxes or laundering illegal money.  

25 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I get more annoyed at cash only places. 

I get annoyed when common options are limited, I try to be as accommodating as possible when people want to give me money.......I've even taken bullion(though I dislike the process)

I did use to reject American Express since the fee was higher than other cards.

14 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I agree with twa, about habits & locations. (Although with cameras everywhere & phone tracking, "they" know what you're doing anyway.) 

But they shouldn't. And it's not about "well, I'm not doing anything wrong, why should I care?" If that were really true, we'd be building houses of glass. 

Most people are doing something wrong at some point at some time, though.  The question is, is illegal enough and blatant enough for the government to care.  If you have 3 million glass houses, you gotta be doing something really crazy to get the attention of the all seeing eye,

31 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Most people are doing something wrong at some point at some time, though.  The question is, is illegal enough and blatant enough for the government to care.  If you have 3 million glass houses, you gotta be doing something really crazy to get the attention of the all seeing eye,

electronic payment only makes it much easier to get all 3 million.

be it a pot purchase or a double scoop sundae.....sure you want me to choose what is best for you and society in general?

On 2/7/2020 at 4:33 PM, twa said:

It used to be forbidden by merchant services (the credit card processor) to charge for using credit cards.

businesses need to take the coin of the realm unless there is good reason not to imo

add

I bought a stove the other day at Homedepot and they would not take cash unless `I went to the customer service dept...wtf?

a wood-burning stove?   something that generally costs from $1,000 to $5,000 or so?     

just one question......  pennies? or nickels?

13 hours ago, Larry said:

I can kinda understand why a business might prefer not to take cash.  

It costs money to handle cash.  Cash registers.  Paper trails.  Counting the money at every shift change.  Hand delivering the cash to the bank, or paying for an armored car.  A safe.  

Gotta confess.  When I see a business that's cash only?  I immediately assume that they're either cheating on their taxes or laundering illegal money.  

last night, after 8 pm, i got a mysterious knock at the door.       

it was the shady girl scouts collecting on that promissory cookie note that i had foolishly signed up for weeks ago when the sun was shining, birds were chirping, and the future looked bright.   but these midnight goons show up at the door, demanding payment, and not accepting cash or credit.   (AND not having any change, to boot)

I actually (seriously) had to BREAK IN to one of my daughter's piggy-bank, to find $15 in cash   (the highway robbery of charging $5/box for 7 nickel sized cookies is fodder for a DIFFERENT thread) .

artist rendition of what girl scouts collecting cookie contraband payouts late on a sunday night might look like.... 

who-framed-roger-rabbit-disneyscreencaps

On 2/8/2020 at 9:14 AM, No Excuses said:

If I were a city, I would pass a law requiring businesses to accept both cash and card payments. There are probably more businesses that are cash only than cashless, both equally annoying and inconvenient. 

Have to make sure merchants can handle pci dss compliance, otherwise it will jus cause a surge in unsecure merchants.  Making money costs money.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:49 AM, abdcskins said:

I don't like businesses that don't accept my cash. Seems disrespectful. I sort of get it, but not really. 

You want disrespect?

I (a business) had to show up at a bank with two witnesses to get the bank to deposit there a check drawn on the same bank ,and everyone present two forms of picture id after they already required everything but my DNA.

Then I received a letter telling me they were closing my account and sending me check for the balance.....I called corporate and they said disregard the letter.

Disregard?????

🤬 :wtf:

I wonder how a cash deposit will go.......there might be bloodshed.

Archived