Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

6 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Junk drawers, dinosaur bones, claymore swords, rum hams, Zoltar, bedazzled jean jackets, dishwasher brisket, slack jawed gawkers, pet rocks, barrel races, Houston, Tugboat Thomas, and gourds. 

I recognize some of these.  I'm pretty sure they're Internet Memes.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Holy ****, y'all...I just looked outside and the neighbors put up their own cones to keep people from blocking my yard.  :ols:

Like I said, I know everyone's got a side hustle.  I don't want anyone to die from this, tho.

You should buy your neighbor a Cervesa.  Know anyone nearby that sells 'em?

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

I also would have accepted "**** off".

Funny story...LD's wife found a bracelet on Etsy, it said "**** Off" in morse code.  Bought a bunch of em, gave 'em out to friends.  :ols:  Point was, you just rub it when you wanna tell someone to do that. 

Mine broke the other day, but I'm on the fast hunt for a few more.  Worth it. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

Funny story...LD's wife found a bracelet on Etsy, it said "**** Off" in morse code.  Bought a bunch of em, gave 'em out to friends.  :ols:  Point was, you just rub it when you wanna tell someone to do that. 

Mine broke the other day, but I'm on the fast hunt for a few more.  Worth it. 

I can be bad with initials sometimes.  Who's LD in this context?  Also, I like it.  Sounds like yours has gotten a lot of use.  Might I point you to a perhaps cathartic metal song while you await the arrival of your replacement bracelet?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

In about a fortnight, I will be living in a hotel around Princeton.  What should I do, beyond propping my feet up on the AC and letting it blow on my junk?

Walk into Princeton and find some folks in a department of interest and strike up conversation.

One day close friend of mine was doing a bootcamp in Boston area, bored out of his mind.  Told him send me his address and his hotel was across the street from MIT.

I-want-to-go-to-there GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Walk into Princeton and find some folks in a department of interest and strike up conversation.

One day close friend of mine was doing a bootcamp in Boston area, bored out of his mind.  Told him send me his address and his hotel was across the street from MIT.

I-want-to-go-to-there GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I feel llike I'm probably too old to be hanging out around a college campus.  On the other hand, Neil DeGrasse Tyson teaches there.  Maybe I can get him and his fellow professors/authors Strauss and Gott to sign my Welcome To The Universe book.  Which, if you're interested in all that space-sciency stuff, highly recommended.  I probably need to give it another read-through because I definitely didn't understand everything the first time through.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, PokerPacker said:

I feel llike I'm probably too old to be hanging out around a college campus.  On the other hand, Neil DeGrasse Tyson teaches there.  Maybe I can get him and his fellow professors/authors Strauss and Gott to sign my Welcome To The Universe book.  Which, if you're interested in all that space-sciency stuff, highly recommended.  I probably need to give it another read-through because I definitely didn't understand everything the first time through.

Go for it : )

I know me, and recently accepted my scars that have lead me to being as guarded as I am are jus too deep to heal properly.

The damage is done and I'm spacy.

Having said that, I respect that no matter what I do, there will always be someone smarter then me and potentially like-minded.   And there's no telling what can come from conversations with people like that.

Most of the few strongest decade-plus long relationships I have started on college campuses, met my Wife doing grad school together.

Actively forcing myself to stay pragmatic and open-minded to networking, I just feel like LinkedIn is the new Facebook now, its embarrassing.

Back in the day, visited a lady friend in LA and took her to doctor at USC...they aren't known for IT, but their IT library was still four stories high with top floor being a "have to be this smart to read these books" only and I geek'd out 🧑‍🚀

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Go for it : )

I know me, and recently accepted my scars that have lead me to being as guarded as I am are jus too deep to heal properly.

The damage is done and I'm spacy.

Having said that, I respect that no matter what I do, there will always be someone smarter then me and potentially like-minded.   And there's no telling what can come from conversations with people like that.

Most of the few strongest decade-plus long relationships I have started on college campuses, met my Wife doing grad school together.

Actively forcing myself to stay pragmatic and open-minded to networking, I just feel like LinkedIn is the new Facebook now, its embarrassing.

Back in the day, visited a lady friend in LA and took her to doctor at USC...they aren't known for IT, but their IT library was still four stories high with top floor being a "have to be this smart to read these books" only and I geek'd out 🧑‍🚀

I wish I'd put more effort into relationships in college.  I haven't figured out a "third place" to meet anybody since entering the workforce.

6 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I wish I'd put more effort into relationships in college.  I haven't figured out a "third place" to meet anybody since entering the workforce.

My Dad says stuff like its better to have 4 quarters then 100 pennies...but going to places you like to find like-minded people is an inexact science...

• Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I just feel like LinkedIn is the new Facebook now, its embarrassing.

That they're both obsolete and only old people use them? That's basically what my SIL informed me of a week ago. I was like damn my LinkedIn page is solid but I never use it cuz I don't remember the password. 🤣

Just now, Captain Wiggles said:

That they're both obsolete and only old people use them? That's basically what my SIL informed me of a week ago. I was like damn my LinkedIn page is solid but I never use it cuz I don't remember the password. 🤣

Mines up to date 👔, but too many folks using it for Instagram ****, you ain't missin nothin unless you lookin for a job or like their LinkedIn Learning courses...

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Pick up a hobby.  Gaming, sports, painting, learning to play the Australian scrotum flute...local Y usually has a lot of pamphlets on classes, groups and such.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Pick up a hobby.  Gaming, sports, painting, learning to play the Australian scrotum flute...local Y usually has a lot of pamphlets on classes, groups and such.

Unfortunately my current hobbies are incredibly male-dominated or solitary, plus I'm very much the introvert that on the rare occasion I do something like go out to a bar, I'll just order a couple pints and quietly drink them at the bar as I mind my own business.  Maybe when I start my new job and move to Princeton I'll look at trying to get involved in the tabletop RPG scene or something of the like.

• Thumb up 2

19 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Unfortunately my current hobbies are incredibly male-dominated or solitary, plus I'm very much the introvert that on the rare occasion I do something like go out to a bar, I'll just order a couple pints and quietly drink them at the bar as I mind my own business.  Maybe when I start my new job and move to Princeton I'll look at trying to get involved in the tabletop RPG scene or something of the like.

Right there with ya.  People exhaust me.  Take a yoga class.  Might meet people ya like, and if not you'll at least be able to tell people "I can't, I have a yoga class" when you're trying to get out of going for coffee with people when you don't want to.

• Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Right there with ya.  People exhaust me.  Take a yoga class.  Might meet people ya like, and if not you'll at least be able to tell people "I can't, I have a yoga class" when you're trying to get out of going for coffee with people when you don't want to.

Hockey is my fitness hobby.  And lifting weights, which I apparently so prefer to do in private that I've managed to put together a small home gym in my one bedroom apartment rather than using the free gym at my apartment complex that is one building over.  I have considered picking up swing dancing, though.  But just how many hobbies does one have time and energy to sustain?

• Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Hockey is my fitness hobby.  And lifting weights, which I apparently so prefer to do in private that I've managed to put together a small home gym in my one bedroom apartment rather than using the free gym at my apartment complex that is one building over.  I have considered picking up swing dancing, though.  But just how many hobbies does one have time and energy to sustain?

I took some ballroom dancing courses...was great fun.  Highly recommend.  As for how many hobbies, depends person to person obviously.  I probly have way way to many...but then again I always find its too easy to make excuses to not do a thing, so I have a (possibly bad) habit of making excuses to do things.

• Thumb up 1