Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

Yeah I wouldn’t be ok in that environment. 

I make all the decisions about our systems. I’m not worried about it. 

app-based vpn security products and app-based security and content filtering are the only way to do it. I don’t want everyone’s photos and texts and browsing history. 

just want the company stuff protected. 

• Thumb up 1

Remember when REM tried to glam up and be kinda sexy/androgynous “rock stars”??  Their little mouse-faced bassist wearing a knockoff Jimmy Page-esque dragon suit and such.

Just hilariously pitiful.  And pretty much killed rock and roll as a mainstream music for youth going forward.  Little 10 year olds watching MTV in 1997 like “Nah, I don’t think I wanna play guitar.  Looks super lame.”

• Haha 2

On 10/23/2023 at 10:02 AM, Fan since a Fetus said:

A lot of really incredible singers in metal that have fantastic lyrics and vocals. I’ll post some examples in the music thread shortly

Devin Townsend’s voice is my favorite.

Michael Akerfeldt of Opeth. Yeah, he growls but his clean voice is incredible

Bjorn Strid of Soilwork and Night Flight Orchestra. This guy is overlooked, but he can sing anything and has become one of the great metal singers out there

Greg Puciato - from everything from everywhere. Actually known most as being the singer for Dillinger Escape Plan and he works a lot with Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains. Hood solo work is fantastic as well.

In the more extreme category, Travis Ryan of Cattle Decapatation. Dude has a monster growl, but has a lot of different deliveries and some of the things he does are wicked. He’s starting to have some pretty cool clean vocals, but I think he’s working out at least seems to be.

There are so many others. Unlike most, I even think the guys from Mastodon are great. Are they going to win singing competitions? No, definitely not. Does their vocals match the music and bring a specific energy. Absolutely, and that’s what makes them great

Most of that is outside of my metal sub-genre, but I do love me some Night Flight Orchestra.  Was supposed to see them earlier this year, but they cancelled the show :(

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Most of that is outside of my metal sub-genre, but I do love me some Night Flight Orchestra.  Was supposed to see them earlier this year, but they cancelled the show :(

why was it cancelled? A lot of bands have been cancelling because of money. 

here’s a pic 10 min before of a show I went to the other night in a decent size venue. The crowd tripled in size. It was empty. Really bad for a large city on a Friday night. There is no way any bands made money that night. 

persefone were supposed to be there but they dropped off because they couldn’t afford the traveling

$40 tickets and I bought $100 in Beyond Creation vinyl and gear to help them out. 

the show was The Omnific and Ne Obliviscarus both from Australia and Canadian band Beyond Creation. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0055cfb48374ca459d48807c512b7e60.jpeg

Last year they over sold this venue to Meshuggah. It’s was very uncomfortable in there. I’ve been to a few shows in there this year and it’s empty.

i think art is really suffering right now.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

why was it cancelled? A lot of bands have been cancelling because of money.

Dunno.  That show and one or two others just kinda disappeared and could never find an explanation anywhere.  Went to their webpage... or tried to.  It doesn't exist anymore.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Thumb up 1