Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

13 minutes ago, Larry said:

Possible topic of discussion:  A proposal to discuss:  

Proposed:  We cannot begin opening up parts of our normal economy, until after we reach the point where it's safe for people to go to the doctor/hospital for non-emergency health care.  

Is it safe to, say, open up the restaurants, when it's not safe for people to have non-life-threatening medical procedures?  

(Although maybe a different take:  Open up medical offices, if they aren't inside hospitals.  Is that a good plan?)

Or do we need to demand that the hospitals must be back to normal, first?  (Do they have to have normal levels of PPE, first?)

so shouldn't that be a new thread and not another invitation to an extended separate specific discussion with multiple potential tangents of its own?

your first sentence is "Possible topic of discussion:  A proposal to discuss: "

let's not do this so much, it really gets tiring on this end (too) and interrupts the thread  :) 

@Larry

figure it out best you can from what's been stated on this the last few weeks and paying attention to how/when the thread flows without mod interruption for extended tangents :) which become numerous if not self- or mod managed

customized individual tutorials are not available at this time :mellow:

notice what's being called out  :) 

15 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I don't think NYC has substnatially more international travel LA, even just from Europe, or at least not enough to explain a 10x discrepancy

LA has really crummy mass transit, whereas NYC has packed subways

I agree the packed subways (and cab & Uber/Lyft) have contributed to the high number in NYC. 

NYC travel, including PHL, EWR, LGA & JFK, is almost twice that of LAX. I couldn't find decent international traveler numbers for each airport. It's approximately 14m travelers per month in NYC vs. 7m in LAX (without looking at seasonal variations - just the total number divided by 12). It's not only those people traveling international but anybody who was near these people in baggage claim, elevators, airline clubs, people movers (rental car buses, parking shuttle buses, etc.) restaurants, etc. Obviously, the same is true for both areas. A lot of people take buses & trains to NYC from outside of NY to take cheaper/faster flights to EU. To your point, mass transit in the East Coast corridor is much better than that in the LAX area.  

Here's the info for 2018 from the NY/NJ Port Authority:

image.png.02fb4f4d9d1338597af2613dd0fe1ba6.png

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/en/statistics-general-info.html

I do think there need to be stated standards we eed to meet, before considering relaxing.  Just think there's room for what those standards need to be.  

Would it be reasonable to demand that we have to have tested 10% of the population, before we can ease?  (Heck, have we even tested 1% yet?)  

Maybe demand that each state will ease up, when the number of infections has gone down for two weeks in a row?  (Do we have to demand that the number of infections must have gone down, despite the number of tests going up?)

I really think there needs to be some kind of a benchmark.  (More likely several).  Or we're going to wind up with the standard being "whenever Trump thinks will boost his TV ratings the most".  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

Also reflecting, it sure would be nice if we had antibody testing, so we could tell who/how many people have had it, and recovered.  Although:  

1)  That's like wishing for a magic wand.  We don;t have it, and not likely to have it in the short term  

2)  And if prior exposure doesn't grant immunity, then it might not be as useful as I imagine.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Larry said:

Also reflecting, it sure would be nice if we had antibody testing, so we could tell who/how many people have had it, and recovered.  Although:  

1)  That's like wishing for a magic wand.  We don;t have it, and not likely to have it in the short term  

2)  And if prior exposure doesn't grant immunity, then it might not be as useful as I imagine.  

random testing  in regions can act as polling till anti body testing becomes readily available.

I think there is room to have various standards depending on density/mass transit ect.

the immunity factor is definitely going to need clarified to move forward much.

results from Germany and such in that will help, and we have some going here.

Chew sends love. His FIL is hanging on, things are bleak, but miracles DO happen, so keep the good juju/woo train rollin if you would. 

He also sent a photo of his son, I can't even begin to tell you how adorable he is...lifted my spirit immensely. 💖

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

i just  now had time to read that nyt piece

it's not revelatory, it's just seeing it in print has a stark, concrete, nature to it that leaves me thinking again about things i wish would happen to don and associates 

1 minute ago, PCS said:

Simple,easy to see through strategy by the scumbag and his merry band of lowlifes. Try to get things opened up early and if/when things go wrong,blame the states themselves

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. What if numbers in places like Arkansas or Tennessee spin out of control, will those governors have the guts to point the finger at trump?

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. What if numbers in places like Arkansas or Tennessee spin out of control, will those governors have the guts to point the finger at trump?

Roughly the same as the number of Senators who voted to punish him for extorting illegal campaign contributions, in front of 30 witnesses.  

• Like 1

“Also, gear up with face masks”????

I would comment more about him and this but I won’t. The remark is analogous to telling soldiers in war to get battle ready with guns and had only given them knives.

”no excuses” ... so hypocritical. Is that Harry Truman plaque about where a buck ends up still in the White House?

Edited by Bonez3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2