Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera: Redskins First (non-interim) Head Coach of Color

COWBOY-KILLA-

3 hours ago, PlayAction said:

I've found the term "people of color" to be confusing.  Depending upon the issue it seems to include some people but exclude them in other situations.  If you are white Hispanic are you a person of color?  If so, there Hispanics that are more European than "white" Americans.  As to the OP, Rivera has been a successful HC for a long time so I'm not sure there is anything to celebrate.  Hopefully just success with the Redskins. 

You think thats confusing, try to define who's white.  I'm pretty sure it's limited to anyone that is at least 63/64ths english, french, german, Scottish, Irish, Danish, icelandish, German, Russian, Slovakian, Belgiumish, polish, Swedish, luxemburgish, Austrian, or Dutch, or any combination thereof.

Edit: Either that or you can just compare them to a picture of Elizabeth Warren.  Ewww..........

11 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

You think thats confusing, try to define who's white.  I'm pretty sure it's limited to anyone that is at least 63/64ths english, french, german, Scottish, Irish, Danish, icelandish, German, Russian, Slovakian, Belgiumish, polish, Swedish, luxemburgish, Austrian, or Dutch, or any combination thereof.

Ask a Southern Italian or Sicilian and "white" is considered WASP.

7 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@zskins Read the original post man. Read the article. It’s the first time in Redskins history, 88 years, that a POC will have full control of the Organization. This isn’t about him being a coach. 😿

Full Control? Like he will be a GM and the President? 

40 minutes ago, zskins said:

Full Control? Like he will be a GM and the President? 

No. Come on man.

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

Ask a Southern Italian or Sicilian and "white" is considered WASP.

My south Philly Irish grandmother would never call an I-talian a white person. :ols: She was not a good person bless her heart.

We know "white" means mostly European decent now a days though.

1 hour ago, RabidFan said:

Empanadas all the way. 

and my ceviche better be soupy with popcorn and not sashimi style with crackers!

😛

I'm in the US virgin islands and it's Pate, not empanada and I'm not putting popcorn or crackers in ceviche. Sounds like you got too much cracker in the customer.

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No. Come on man.

Look I was just trying to clarify not trying to be a dick here. I am glad he is a minority coach. I have nothing against it. It is great for this franchise or for any other for that matter. 

I will be honest I didn't look at his race or color when he became the Redskins coach. Maybe because those things don't matter to me as I view the human race as one color. Everyone has a different view of things that is what makes us unique as individual human beings and it doesn't mean that someone is less sensitive or less caring, loving or compassionate. 

HTTR! ❤️

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

I will be honest I didn't look at his race or color when he became the Redskins coach. Maybe because those things don't matter to me as I view the human race as one color.

That's the definition of privilege. When someone tells you that it's important to them, Acknowledge that and move on. Ask questions to learn why it's important to them and grow an understanding. It's obviously pretty important to someone else.

5 hours ago, PlayAction said:

I've found the term "people of color" to be confusing.  Depending upon the issue it seems to include some people but exclude them in other situations.  If you are white Hispanic are you a person of color?  If so, there Hispanics that are more European than "white" Americans.  As to the OP, Rivera has been a successful HC for a long time so I'm not sure there is anything to celebrate.  Hopefully just success with the Redskins. 

Agree the term POC can be confusing and I Acknowledge many do not like to use it. I was just dovetailing off the article, which uses the term, I posted in regard to the significance of his hire.

This isn’t about him being hired as a coach. He has Total Control, Snyder mentioned the buck will stop with One Person Ron Rivera. THAT is what is significant. Not only is it the first time in Redskins history that a POC has total control of the Skins, 88yrs, but around the league he’ll be one of only a couple that has that type of power. 

How he does can help those that come after him get the chance to wield that power in the future.

11 minutes ago, zskins said:

Look I was just trying to clarify not trying to be a dick here. I am glad he is a minority coach. I have nothing against it. It is great for this franchise or for any other for that matter. 

I will be honest I didn't look at his race or color when he became the Redskins coach. Maybe because those things don't matter to me as I view the human race as one color. Everyone has a different view of things that is what makes us unique as individual human beings and it doesn't mean that someone is less sensitive or less caring, loving or compassionate. 

HTTR! ❤️

I promise you it is ok to just be quiet and not comment on things you clearly and openly don’t understand 

If the thread doesn’t apply to you, i promise everything will be ok if you just leave everyone else be. 

42 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I promise you it is ok to just be quiet and not comment on things you clearly and openly don’t understand 

If the thread doesn’t apply to you, i promise everything will be ok if you just leave everyone else be. 

Gotcha.....  :kickcan:

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

just a tad bit ironic that in a thread meant to celebrate long awaited inclusiveness and diversity you basically tell someone they shouldn't participate simply because they have another perspective.

6 minutes ago, onedrop said:

just a tad bit ironic that in a thread meant to celebrate long awaited inclusiveness and diversity you basically tell someone they shouldn't participate simply because they have another perspective.

This is so lame. It's like the old "how can you call yourself tolerant if you don't tolerate intolerance, huh??"

Give me a break. This whole topic is about "another perspective". You're just wrong about which ones. 

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is so lame. It's like the old "how can you call yourself tolerant if you don't tolerate intolerance, huh??"

Give me a break. This whole topic is about "another perspective". You're just wrong about which ones. 

and you would know this how exactly?

and to your first, well, second sentence. that is my point. be tolerant and accepting....but only as long as the opinion and agenda matches pre defined ideals.

why are you so agitated?

18 minutes ago, onedrop said:

and you would know this how exactly?

Because the "this isn't important" perspective is exactly why this conversation is so relevant and necessary in the first place. 

18 minutes ago, onedrop said:

and to your first, well, second sentence. that is my point. be tolerant and accepting....but only as long as the opinion and agenda matches pre defined ideals.

why are you so agitated?

Because it seems like half the people in this thread not only actively resist an opportunity for growth, but also no one who has had it explained to them have the self-awareness or simple grace of humanity to acknowledge another point of view's validity. You know, the thing you're so concerned with. 

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Because the "this isn't important" perspective is exactly why this conversation is so relevant and necessary in the first place. 

Because it seems like half the people in this thread not only actively resist an opportunity for growth, but also no one who has had it explained to them have the self-awareness or simple grace of humanity to acknowledge another point of view's validity. You know, the thing you're so concerned with. 

i never said "this isnt important" nor do i feel that way. from what i read the in side discussion that lead to my post no one else did either. it was merely stated that a persons ethnicity wasnt a concern and that all people were viewed the same. in the end, isnt that the exact final goal?

trust me my friend, i am not "overly concerned".  i just found it ironic.

4 minutes ago, onedrop said:

i never said "this isnt important" nor do i feel that way. from what i read the in side discussion that lead to my post no one else did either. it was merely stated that a persons ethnicity wasnt a concern and that all people were viewed the same. in the end, isnt that the exact final goal?

trust me my friend, i am not "overly concerned".  i just found it ironic.

No, it really isn't.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

No, it really isn't.

well it should be.

it makes me very happy that my children's generation has far fewer embedded societal prejudices than mine. i hope that trend continues until a time where no one is "judged" based on anything other than deeds alone.

1 hour ago, onedrop said:

Oh it’s not at all. 

Race, color, all that stuff matters. It’s ok to admit people are different. That “the only race is the human race” stuff is a fairy tale. 

That’s why this thread was created and that’s why his hiring is important. I know it’s easier for some to stick their heads in the sand but in the real world, this is important. And if you don’t get it or (the more likely scenario is that you don’t want to get it), this thread isn’t for you. 

Sorry. 

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Oh it’s not at all. 

Race, color, all that stuff matters. It’s ok to admit people are different. That “the only race is the human race” stuff is a fairy tale. 

That’s why this thread was created and that’s why his hiring is important. I know it’s easier for some to stick their heads in the sand but in the real world, this is important. And if you don’t get it or (the more likely scenario is that you don’t want to get it), this thread isn’t for you. 

Sorry. 

and what precisely could i have possibly said to lead you to this assumption? that is a gigantic leap. to not only assume, but state that you know another person's intent is negative merely because their position might not align exactly with yours. therefore YOU get to decide that I should omitted from the thread based on assumption and preconceived notions.

that is gloriously ironic.

you seem miffed simply because not everyone is beating on the same drum as hard as you are.

4 minutes ago, onedrop said:

and what precisely could i have possibly said to lead you to this assumption? that is a gigantic leap. to not only assume, but state that you know another person's intent is negative merely because their position might not align exactly with yours. therefore YOU get to decide that I should omitted from the thread based on assumption and preconceived notions.

that is gloriously ironic.

you seem miffed simply because not everyone is beating on the same drum as hard as you are.

Uh huh. 

good day sir. HTTR

(My DMs are open if you need any further assistance on the matter)

Archived