Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Just exactly how rare a prospect is Young exactly?   Peppers, Clowney, Garrett, one of the Bosa brothers?   Better, worse, where?   I'm not a huge draft guy and don't start tuning in for it until February really, but this guy seems to have buzz regardless of the fact we are in the running for him.   I know Shannon Sharpe felt Young got dominated by the Clemson right tackle.    Which would be worrisome.   But the Big Ten has good offensive linemen generally so it's not like he went up against slouches.   Regardless, I really only want him if we're actually running a 4-3.   Then go nuts :).

But if you make him a stand up linebacker I'm gonna be pissy.

58 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

What if Rivera doesn't want him?

Then it would mean Rivera had suffered a recent tragic head injury and we'd keep him in our thoughts/prayers as we look for a different head coach. 

Seriously, a defensive guy like Rivera not wanting possibly the best pass rushing prospect to come out in the past 10 years would be insane. That's like an offensive coach saying they'd pass on Calvin Johnson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

30 minutes ago, Art said:

Just exactly how rare a prospect is Young exactly?   Peppers, Clowney, Garrett, one of the Bosa brothers?   Better, worse, where?   I'm not a huge draft guy and don't start tuning in for it until February really, but this guy seems to have buzz regardless of the fact we are in the running for him.   I know Shannon Sharpe felt Young got dominated by the Clemson right tackle.    Which would be worrisome.   But the Big Ten has good offensive linemen generally so it's not like he went up against slouches.   Regardless, I really only want him if we're actually running a 4-3.   Then go nuts :).

Kinda depends on who you ask around here as far as just how special he is, but the general consensus around the league seems to be.....pretty damn rare. PFF has him as the highest graded defensive prospect they've ever had (96.7 IIRC). According to their analysis he also has the highest ever win percentage when pass rushing at something like 34%. He has a blend of size, speed, strength, and flexibility that nuts for a guy that big.

Body wise (size and raw athletic talent) I'd compare him to Clowney...they're around the same size, both a bit rangy with long arms and both freakish athletes. But I think he's more flexible than Clowney and is better at bending the edge. Also a bit more refined in his pass rushing moves. Also doesn't appear to have the personality/motivation issues Clowney has/had. He has also had better production in college than all the guys you mentioned. Personally I think he's a better prospect than all of them; not necessarily by a lot, but still better. 

He basically seems to be the total package.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Art said:

He's a once every 5 or so year pass rusher. That's pretty damn good, he's better than the Bosa brothers and Clowney coming out in my opinion, I never bought into the Clowney hype. He's not as good as Peppers coming out but he's on the level of Von Miller and Myles Garrett coming out if we're talking prospects. I'd say since 2011 there have only been 2 pass rushers on his level entering the draft. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

He's a once every 5 or so year pass rusher. That's pretty damn good, he's better than the Bosa brothers and Clowney coming out in my opinion, I never bought into the Clowney hype. He's not as good as Peppers coming out but he's on the level of Von Miller and Myles Garrett coming out if we're talking prospects. I'd say since 2011 there have only been 2 pass rushers on his level entering the draft. 

Yea, I’d say a guy like Chase Young honestly comes out once every year nowadays.  Garrett, Bosa, Young In back to back to back years is pretty impressive.  Joey Bosa as well, if he could just stay healthy.

Edited by -JB-