Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2884698-stephen-a-smith-ive-been-told-redskins-will-draft-chase-young-over-tua-qbs.amp.html

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reported Thursday on First Take that the Washington Redskins are targeting Ohio State defensive end Chase Young with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft.

Smith said: "I've been told that the Washington Redskins are not going to touch [Alabama quarterback] Tua [Tagovailoa] because they're going after Chase Young. That's what [owner] Daniel Snyder wants them to do. And they're not drafting a quarterback."

Edited by 98ORAKPO98

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

His ceiling is Myles  Garrett? Uh, I’d be expecting more honestly. Maybe my expectations are out of wack.  @HTTRDynasty

Yeah, I don't agree with him.  But that's not a bad ceiling at all.  Garrett was on his way to having a 1st team All-Pro season last year before the suspension.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

His ceiling is Myles  Garrett? Uh, I’d be expecting more honestly. Maybe my expectations are out of wack.  @HTTRDynasty

Again, I want to point out something I've been saying all along:

The draft is a crapshoot.

No one really knows wtf they're talking about. Even pro scouts at times. Anyone with an eye and some football prowess can see Young's special traits. But the fact people are touting him as generational is tough.

He could be. He has the tools. He needs to use his hands a bit more in the NFL. He needs to play with a lower pad level. But otherwise he is the prototypical EDGE. He does everything else you'd like an EDGE to do. 

The fact is, Myles Garrett could be his ceiling. 

Could also be his floor.

Also, Myles Garrett is pretty good and wanting much better than him speaks of the mindset this fanbase has gotten for Young. I almost feel bad for Chase Young coming into a franchise with a fanbase who is this rabid and fanboyish on him (not you, in particular... just quoting you here) that the hype has rubbed off on fellow fans and they expect him to be Lawrence Taylor

And you know what? He could be.

He could also not be.

❤️ Draft

Who the heck knows.

He's special. I think that's a fair way to say it. He has everything you want when you draft a guy.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I know I know, I like Garrett but.. I hope CY is better than him. @HTTRDynasty

The reason I disagree Garrett is his ceiling is because Young currently has better technique/hands than Garrett does, even though Garrett has already been in the league three years.  Young is also much better at finding the football when rushing than Garrett is.  Garrett has had pedestrian forced fumble, pass deflection, and interception numbers so far in his career compared to other great EDGE rushers in the league.  Young is far better at finding the ball.

Garrett, like Clowney, is still living a bit off his pre-draft hype of being such a physical freak, which helps lead to people overlooking his technical flaws.  I think Garret and Clowney will both always be better run defenders than Young will though.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 4

I listened to the Greg Cosell section on Chase Young while doing something else, so maybe I misheard.  But he thinks elite athletic traits, and is ok with his hands, and kind of did a mini-rant on overuse of the word generational.  I'm probably missing something, but from the tone he seemed lukewarm, but then immediately perked up and loved the next Edge in his rankings, K'Lavon Chaisson.

So that seems kind of crazy to me.

39 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I listened to the Greg Cosell section on Chase Young while doing something else, so maybe I misheard.  But he thinks elite athletic traits, and is ok with his hands, and kind of did a mini-rant on overuse of the word generational.  I'm probably missing something, but from the tone he seemed lukewarm, but then immediately perked up and loved the next Edge in his rankings, K'Lavon Chaisson.

So that seems kind of crazy to me.

Similar to my assessment of Young. Next Edge as Chaisson makes a lot of sense, too.  He’s my 2 as well.

Young’s hands are good, though. He just doesn’t use them enough. And I’m definitely not lukewarm on Young but I’m dry ice on this generational talent ****.

And not because he can’t be a generational player. He has the traits for damn sure. But because projecting that kind of thing is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Yet people here have him in a Skins uniform, have his ceiling higher than Myles Garrett on year 1, he’s in the ring of fame, hall of fame and he’s a 16x all pro already. 

All of which can happen. He has “it”. But the brakes, man. Someone needs to pump em.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 5

Yeah, I was a bit confused about the "meh" hands thing as well. I think CY has excellent handwork for a college guy. I agree with @KDawg that he needs to use them a bit more often, but when he has it's very impressive. IIRC handwork is one of the biggest things that Larry Johnson stresses and teaches them at OSU. Nick Bosa had really good handwork coming out as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, I was a bit confused about the "meh" hands thing as well. I think CY has excellent handwork for a college guy. I agree with @KDawg that he needs to use them a bit more often, but when he has it's very impressive. IIRC handwork is one of the biggest things that Larry Johnson stresses and teaches them at OSU. Nick Bosa had really good handwork coming out as well.

Admittedly I haven’t watched every Bosa vs. Young play...

But it seems Bosa is better with his hands than Young. More technical and actually using them. But Young is more explosive with them when he uses them and will wow your ass off when he decides to use those bad boys. 

Young’s technical ability is good in the hands department, but watch his feet and anticipation when you watch that dude play. He can almost sense how a tackle is going to block him before the snap and he skates by with his feet without needing to flash his hand.

Very smooth. Very fluid.

Whats scary to me...

If Bosa didn’t get hurt the year he came out... they would have had Young and Bosa on the edges. 

Crazy.

• Like 3

To be fair though, holding Young to the standard of the Bosas in terms of hand usage is a bit ridiculous.  You better have insanely good technical skills when having a father, grandfather, and granduncle who all played in the NFL like the Bosas had.  

Young's hand usage is damn good compared to the elite EDGE prospects over the past few decades who weren't raised to be a pass rusher from the cradle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

To be fair though, holding Young to the standard of the Bosas in terms of hand usage is a bit ridiculous.  You better have insanely good technical skills when having a father, grandfather, and granduncle who all played in the NFL like the Bosas had.  

Young's hand usage is damn good compared to the elite EDGE prospects over the past few decades who weren't raised to be a pass rusher from the cradle.

That's a fair point. I'd forgotten that the Bosas were basically coached to do all of this stuff pretty much since they could walk. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

You can pump them if you like.

Personally, I'm hittin' the gas.

Zero to sixty.🙋‍♂️

Hey, that's cool. Just don't want to see you whining if he doesn't meet your expectations in 10 months.

I don't think you would, for what its worth. I know some here will do that. I could see some here doing it even if he snags 10 sacks next year but not 15. :ols:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Hey, that's cool. Just don't want to see you whining if he doesn't meet your expectations in 10 months.

I don't think you would, for what its worth. I know some here will do that. I could see some here doing it even if he snags 10 sacks next year but not 15. :ols:

That's inevitable. People in the FA thread think the next 5 years are a bust because were not signing marquee players this year.

While I mostly agree with you on pumping the brakes, Young is the clear consensus best player in this draft. Over 2 QBs who could be top picks in most drafts. Over Okudah, Simmons, Jeudy. All guys who could be number 1 picks some years. There is zero real argument to be made that Young isnt the clear cut, best prospect to come out of the draft in years. That's what gets him the generational tag. 

If he wasn't in this draft and we were arguing between simmons, Okudah or a LT or whatever, we'd still be lucky and great arguments for each. Its amazing that were getting a guy like young hopefully. 

• Thanks 1

I just want to clarify my statement that I expected CY to have a higher ceiling than Garett. I didnt mean right off the bat, I expected him to have 15 sacks his rookie yr. But that over the course of their careers CY would have more impact both statistically and the more nuanced stats like pressure/double teams/attention sent his way/overall effect on the Defense and Offense.  

Garret has produced, and in a big way, increasing all his stats year to year. So I’d be satisfied/happy if CY matched those. My initial impression however is that his ceiling (the best he could possibly do) would be higher that Garret. Buy I agree with @KDawg that to expect CY to turn water into wine is not fair, and a tempering of the expectations may be a better way to go. Let’s let this kid do his thing, appreciate his gifts, and hopefully watch him grow into an absolute menace.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I just want to clarify my statement that I expected CY to have a higher ceiling than Garett. I didnt mean right off the bat, I expected him to have 15 sacks his rookie yr. But that over the course of their careers CY would have more impact both statistically and the more nuanced stats like pressure/double teams/attention sent his way/overall effect on the Defense and Offense.  

Garret has produced, and in a big way, increasing all his stats year to year. So I’d be satisfied/happy if CY matched those. My initial impression however is that his ceiling (the best he could possibly do) would be higher that Garret. Buy I agree with @KDawg that to expect CY to turn water into wine is not fair, and a tempering of the expectations may be a better way to go. Let’s let this kid do his thing, appreciate his gifts, and hopefully watch him grow into an absolute menace.

And, the best part about tempering expectations a bit? If he goes HOG (see what I did there?) wild we can all rejoice... And if he does well but isn't a monster year 1 we can all rejoice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why did Chase Young have to be so good? This would primarily be an easy decision. You trade back to #5 and also receive #18 and #56, select either Okudah or Simmons and then select the best OT available at 18, then BPA from there on out. But no, Chase Young had to be ****ing amazing. I do feel like if we trade with the Dolphins, Okudah is the one that will be available at #5 and the New York Giants go with Simmons as they just signed Bradberry and probably want more balance on that side of the ball.

5. Jeff Okudah

18. Wirfs/Willis/Becton/Thomas/Josh Jones (If we don't get lucky and have one of the top 4 slide)

56. BPA WR/TE

This would really balance the roster imo. We roll with Ryan Anderson or Kerrigan at DE and draft one high next year (most likely top 10). 

That's what I would do, but all signs truly do point to Chase Young. Our stop gap CB and FS signings indicates Chase Young as the pick and next year when those contracts come off the books we're probably going to look heavily at CB and FS in the draft if they don't work out. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1