Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How is the radio broadcast these days?

hail2skins

• 2 months later...

We're now 12 games in.  Thoughts on whether this crew has gotten better and/or developing chemistry?  I also have heard bits and pieces of the broadcasts but not enough to make a good assessment.  DHall seems to be getting better and I like Bram (always have).  Julie still seems out of place and not sure of her role in the booth.  It's possible that she's supposed to be the person on the sidelines (like a Doc replacement?) that can't occur right now due to the pandemic.  I would think she could provide stats, injury reports and behind the scenes player updates and leave the expert analysis up to DHall and the play-by-play to Bram.  

My dream team would have been Buckhantz as play by play, Cooley on color commentary and Logan Paulsen on-field reporter. 

I've listened to 2 games on the radio. 

Here's my critique:

- Bram: As a guy who's never really done play-by-play before to any great extent, I think he does a good job keeping me informed as to what's going on during the game. Hitting the right energy level is hard, I think he is trying, and gets it most of the time.  I give him a solid B with a trend upwards.

- Julie: I think she's still finding ways to contribute.  What they have her doing is basically having "rehearsed" bits where she chimes in with factoids when a certain player does something well.  Gibson has a good run, and here's Julie to say something we didn't know (which we probably did) about Gibson.  I think her role is try try and bring some "behind the scenes information" to the broadcast.  I think she's doing fine, but the transitions need to get more natural, it seems very rehearsed at the moment.

- D. Hall: I don't care for him that much on the broadcast.  There's a HUGE coaching point, and that is he keeps on stepping on Bram while Bram is trying to finish the play-by-play.  He's got to learn to just sit, relax, and wait for Bram to finish, then chime in.  And what's really annoying is Hall will realize he stepped on Bram, but not wait long enough, and then will start again, still stepping on Bram, and then finally when Bram is done, it's a mess.  This happens at least 4-5 times a game, and ALWAYS on a big play when he just can't seem to hold his water.  This is where Julie as "SVP of all things media (titles titles titles) needs to pull Hall aside and really coach him up, because that's got to stop.  Otherwise, I find Hall's analysis fairly pedestrian.  Though I am biased, I compare Hall to Cooley, and I thought Cooley did an outstanding job as the analysis guy, and Hall isn't close. Yet.  He could improve.  But he's got a lot of work to do.

I give them as a group a solid C+, mostly because I would grade Hall a D, and he sinks the grade for the entire group.  But I think they're trending in the right direction.  Also, factor in they can't travel to away games, which is a tough deal.  I think they're going to get a lot better, as they get more reps, and they get more natural. 

EDIT: Comparing this booth to Larry, Chris and Doc, both have positives and negatives.   Where I think Hall is the weak link in this booth, Larry grinded my nerves like I grinded gears when I was learning to drive a manual transmission.  I think Bram as Play-by-Play easily replaces Larry and is just as good, but different.  Larry was more polished on the call, Bram is a little more natural and not a snake oil salesman.    Cooley >>> Hall.  Doc brought more to the broadcast in terms of humor and personality than Julie does, but he never "said" anything.  It was always "eat red meat", "manhood issue", "cave man", "finish this thing" blah blah blah.  Julie actually has insight, which I like, but they have to figure out how to make it more interesting.  

• 4 weeks later...

It's gotten better since Week 1. I like Bram doing the primary PBP and DeAngelo no longer interrupts the play call. Week 1 some WFT had picks and Deangelo kept yelling over it. That ended fast.

Bram is also hilarious when the other team scores. During that James Washington 50 yard catch and run for TD to put Pitt up 13-0 the Bram call was pretty much "Washington 15 10 5 Touchdown Steelers." He is pretty lackluster as he should be when the other team scores which is good.

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

Was gonna make make a thread about this but figured I'd bump. There's no radio affiliate here in Harrisburg so I haven't had a chance to hear the new booth.

Listen online.

In another thread I wrote we do not need a 3 person booth.

They talk over each other.  If you look at the Sonny Sam and Frank team that was the A team.  Cooley Doc and most recent team was B team.  The current announcing team is either the C minus / D team.  Next year there needs to be some changes.

if no changes are made then I will just not listen on the radio any longer.

The current group just does not cut it especially when you travel a lot and listen to other NFL team announcers.  But from Snyder’s perspective he is not paying them top dollar- so probably paying cheap salaries.

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Listen online.

Forgot about Radio.com. Doing that now. 

DeAngelo still sounds like he's a little quick to the punch - he's stammering a bit, I think his brain is moving faster than his mouth (relatable) - but they're not stepping on each other's toes. 

Archived