Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I just hope all those here bragging about knowing that Haskins was “a bust” because he played a half of football and didn’t look great are willing to own up when he’s starting and becomes a pretty darn good qb.

Knowing these boards, I seriously doubt it.

Never the case they always hide and say nothing. 

12 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Grade: A-

Draft analysis: "Alex Smith's leg injury last fall was extremely unfortunate. You have probably forgotten that the Redskins were 6-4 with a healthy Smith, then went 1-5 after he got hurt. They easily could have won the NFC East, and the entire theme of the offseason would have changed. This team has talent. Now, Washington has an onerous contract for Smith on its books, and it's unclear when -- if ever -- he'll play again. That means quarterback was the priority for this team.

Once the Redskins opted to trade for veteran Case Keenum as a stopgap option, we knew the first round as a possibility for owner Daniel Snyder and GM Bruce Allen to target a quarterback. So it's funny that all of the talk was about trading up ... and Dwayne Haskins fell right into their laps at No. 15. As I wrote on Thursday night, I love the fit here. Haskins has a chip in his shoulder, and he's a gamer. He never wilted under pressure for the Buckeyes, and he was at his best in the biggest games. I'm excited to see what coach Jay Gruden and new offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell can do with him.

The Redskins then traded back into Round 1, surrendering the No. 46 pick and a second-round pick in next year's draft to move up to No. 26 for pass-rusher Montez Sweat, who was ranked No. 12 overall on my board. Yes, that's a lot to give up, but I really like Sweat, who could have been a top-10 pick if not for a heart condition that caused him to drop. I spoke to people from teams that had removed him entirely from their draft boards, and I spoke to other team representatives who had him in the top 10.

Grade: B+

Draft analysis: "The fact that they did not have to move up to get Haskins was a major bonus. His arm is live and he has the ability to distribute the football to all parts of the field. Given the murky future of Alex Smith, finding Haskins waiting for them at No. 15 could prove to be franchise-changing. Finally, Washington traded up to grab Sweat, who will be a fine pass rusher if his heart condition does not prevent him from reaching his potential. They really needed depth at outside linebacker, where Sweat fits quite well. I am generally not enamored with giving up future second-round picks, but this guy's talent is worthy of taking that sort of chance."

Pro Football Focus

Draft analysis:

"Day 1: While there was speculation that they might have to trade up to get Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, Washington stayed put at No. 15 and still got their guy. Haskins finished the pre-draft process ranked 10th on the PFF draft board. Drawing striking similarities to Sam Bradford, Haskins was fantastic throwing at the short and intermediate levels in his lone year as a starter at the college level.

“Getting him here at 15 is an absolute steal; one of the steals of the draft. He has a lot of promise.” – Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Washington’s second pick in the first round, which they traded for by sending the No. 46 overall pick and a 2020 second-rounder to Indianapolis, was not as highly regarded from PFF’s brass. Former Mississippi State edge defender Montez Sweat, the No. 46 overall player on our board, is freakishly athletic but didn’t wow as a pass rusher on film.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/what-team-aced-their-2019-nfl-draft-grades-redskins-according-experts

SB Nation"Sometimes the draft is about getting lucky. That was the case when quarterback Dwayne Haskinsslipped to No. 15. To fill the need at pass rusher, Washington jumped back into the first round to get another player in free fall with Montez Sweat. He can stand up and rush the edge. Washington paired Haskins with Ohio State teammate Terry McLaurin, a speedy receiver who does all the small things."

Bleacher Report: "The Redskins wanted Dwayne Haskins all along, and they didn't have to trade up to get their quarterback of the future. The Maryland native will come into his rookie season with a huge chip on his shoulder after not being selected by the New York Giants with the No. 6 pick. Haskins threw 50 touchdown passes for the Ohio State Buckeyes last season and has a powerful arm with touch. If Montez Sweat is healthy, the Redskins will have a game-changing pass-rusher."

New York PostA franchise quarterback (Haskins) and arguably the second-best edge rusher (Sweat) — who fell because of a misdiagnosed heart — to replace Preston Smith after trading back into Round 1. McLaurin can be the deep threat Josh Docston was supposed to be and a gunner on special teams. RB Bryce Love is a home-run threat behind Derrius Guice once Guice recovers from torn ACL.

ESPN: "Once the Redskins opted to trade for veteran Case Keenum as a stopgap option, we knew the first round as a possibility for owner Daniel Snyder and GM Bruce Allen to target a quarterback. So it's funny that all of the talk was about trading up and Dwayne Haskins fell right into their laps at No. 15. As I wrote on Thursday night, I love the fit here. Haskins has a chip in his shoulder, and he's a gamer. The Redskins then traded back into Round 1, surrendering the No. 46 pick and a second-round pick in next year's draft to move up to No. 26 for pass-rusher Montez Sweat, who was ranked No. 12 overall on my board. Yes, that's a lot to give up, but I really like Sweat, who could have been a top-10 pick if not for a heart condition that caused him to drop. After a turbulent end to the season, this team is back on track. Haskins and Sweat, two top-12 prospects on my board, push this class over the top."

SB Nation: "They showed atypical patience and potentially walked away with two first-round blue chippers in QB Dwayne Haskins and OLB Montez Sweat. Even late picks like fifth-round C Ross Pierschbacher and sixth-round WR Kelvin Harmon could contribute early and often."

Washington Post: "There’s plenty to like here. It’s all so un-Redskins-like. They resisted the urge to move up or trade for Josh Rosen, stayed put at No. 15 and got the QB they wanted in Dwayne Haskins. Pass rusher Montez Sweat will turn out to be a steal at No. 26 if his health-related concerns indeed arose from a misdiagnosis. Getting speedy WR Terry McLaurin in the third round helps, and using a fourth-round choice on RB Bryce Love is intriguing."

Say what you want about the Redskins, but they had an excellent draft, for now. It's now time for these players to produce on the field.

Thats old hat. Everyone knows he has strong arm and had all day to throw to NFL receivers at OS where any QB in college would have excelled and had those comments by their name from these analyst. Danny got praise for not trading up. Which doesn't negate it was a unwise pick from the get go but really really good for Danny. Mike Renner doesn't work for a NFL team in the draft for a reason. Saying that Haskins is a steal is just straight up stupid.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I just hope all those here bragging about knowing that Haskins was “a bust” because he played a half of football and didn’t look great are willing to own up when he’s starting and becomes a pretty darn good qb.

Knowing these boards, I seriously doubt it.

2 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Never the case they always hide and say nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Not a chance

Well, I'm not completely in the camp that says he's a bust. But I have been down on him due to his lack of improvement from the preseason until now. And I hope he turns it around. And I'll be the first one waving to you guys if he comes in and lights the league on fire.

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

No way no how!

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think its terrible to take a guy that you think has a high ceiling in the middle of the 1st round of the NFL Draft.

I think it's more advisable to do so when you have a stable situation at QB, which I assume the Skins thought. I also think that they reallllllly thought they were going to be a very good football team. So the motivation was to draft the rookie QB now, develop him behind Case/Colt, win some games, make a playoff run... And then next draft we'd be far too high in the draft order to land a top flight QB prospect and Haskins would have been in the system for a year and would have learned what to do and could be the franchise QB under Jay Gruden, who would have stayed as the team would have been in the playoffs.

The issue here stems that the Skins thought they were going to be good.

I thought somewhere in the 5-11 to 9-7 range, likely being 6-10 or 7-9. But I foresaw a situation where injuries piled up again and we bottomed out at 5 wins. 

Having a high draft choice next year wasn't in the plans.

Drafting a high ceiling developmental guy isn't a problem. Drafting a high ceiling developmental guy, with a HC who was on obviously thin ice, who apparently ran practices so poorly that it was an embarrassment that the FO overlooked for his entire tenure, with a poor QB situation and a continued emphasis on relying on injury prone players is the problem.

Now, the "we're close" and "damned good culture" get thrust in the limelight. And unfortunately, Haskins isn't where anyone thought he would be. (That doesnt mean he can't be... I'll emphasize that again).

I doubt they thought we'd be really good. Probably just the same ol mediocre team we usually are. We were fortunate to land Haskins at 15, and that changed things. Build a team around him, get real talent out there, and we will be set. This guy was born to play QB. Im not worried unless we throw him out there in an obvious losing situation.

Im almost certain that Gruden had nothing to do with any of this at this point. The FO made a choice a last year to move on from him, but probably wanted to wait until after this year. Haskins has been working hand in hand with O'Connell and i would be absolutely shocked if he werent named the head coach after this season.

I truly don’t say this to be condescending, but I’m fascinated with the fan who has the ability with conviction to say a player is going suck or declare a bad pick (like Haskins). 

So many unknown variables related to a player succeeding early on— making it incredibly difficult to speculate or project. 

How does one do this? 

8 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Thats old hat. Everyone knows he has strong arm and had all day to throw to NFL receivers at OS where any QB in college would have excelled and had those comments by their name from these analyst. Danny got praise for not trading up. Which doesn't negate it was a unwise pick from the get go but really really good for Danny. Mike Renner doesn't work for a NFL team in the draft for a reason. Saying that Haskins is a steal is just straight up stupid.

Its not about having all day to throw, but hitting receivers in stride. Ball placement is key in the NFL. His crossing route passes are elite and is a staple of the modern NFL. Upgrade the OL, get him another wr, and get a two-way TE and watch him light it up.

6 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Projected to go 6th overall

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2019/01/02/nfl-mock-draft-2019-dwayne-haskins-nick-bosa/2458023002/

Projected to go 3rd overall

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-three-teams-trade-into-top-10-including-redskins-for-dwayne-haskins/

10th or Higher

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2019-predicting-kyler-murray-dwayne-haskins-top-qbs-will-be-picked/19tc6bvxi28pp145c5jbx1b5j1

34 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Think bigger picture. We dont need him to play right now. We are setting up for 2020. We've been setting up for 2020 for 4 years now. Next year is the make or break year for whether or not this rebuild has legs. First we rebuilt the DL which was the worst DL in the league that happens to have to face Barkley and Elliott twice a year. Last year we picked up a high potential pass rusher, a potential no.1 wr, a qb of the future, and potentially the top SS in the league (who has helped shut down Ertz/Engram). Next year we make moves for OL/TE/WR. I would assure that we are getting a top 5 pick this year without jeopardizing the health and progression of Dwayne Haskins.    Honestly with the QB class of 2020 it was unconscionable to choose Haskins and waste that position in the draft when we had so many other needs. We should have picked up a CB, or a DL, player as two examples.  Haskins is clearly a project.  You take a guy like this maybe in the late 4th or 5th round because he did not have enough of a body of work.

A top 5 pick could get us Jerry Jeudy. McLaurin/Jeudy + Sims in the slot would be a great setup for Haskins. A top two could provide us with the ability to trade down and still get Jeudy. Trading Trent should be PRIORITY NO. 1 right now. We need OL/TE/WR help, and have the ability to make some moves to get there. Bruce has to make the move. Hell, I would trade Trent right now to Tampa for a 1st and OJ Howard in a heartbeat!   Trading Trent should have already happened.  Good luck on the getting the bone heads in the FO to figure that one out.  They are too busy being petty. Your assumption is that Haskins is going to be good.  We don't know that.  I would like to find out though before the draft.  I have a greater desire to find solid guys for the: OL, TE, CB, Safety, positions.

Haskins starting after the bye week is 7 games of experience.  Your right that has to happen.

Norman has been the worst player on our defense this year. He's been roasted repeatedly. He doesnt get a say here. Its not like hes this beacon of integrity when he's out there running with the bulls while still under contract...All he did was repeat what has been coming out of Redskins park and what the media has been reporting about Haskins.  Eisen only had him on to try to suck informant out of him.  Slow day at NFL Network.....

Id suggest that the fan base be patient when the FO for once has decided to be patient with a rookie qb with no supporting cast.  No that is not what it is.  Haskins should not have been picked at the 15th position in the first round with only 15 games under his belt at the collegiate level.  I have said it before but I think the guy got some poor  advice and would have benefited like his teammate Terry Mclaurin, by at least another year on the collegiate level. 

55 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

You prove my point. **** organization doesn't know what they're doing. Haskins the correct pick is nuts. Get real. Haskins was a late round pick at best but the strong arm had everyone giving him way too much praise. Gardner Minshew is a better QB.  Haskins is to QB as Doctson is to WR.

23F627B3-82DD-4D12-B459-DF69D9D6C8CC.gif

52 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Think bigger picture. We dont need him to play right now. We are setting up for 2020. We've been setting up for 2020 for 4 years now.

Which is why we traded for Alex Smith.

34 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Minshew just played against the Saints.  Ditto for Jones against New England.  

And they each wish they only looked as bad as Patrick Ramsey. 

20 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Mike Renner doesn't work for a NFL team in the draft for a reason. Saying that Haskins is a steal is just straight up stupid.

Which teams are courting you?

13 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I truly don’t say this to be condescending, but I’m fascinated with the fan who has the ability with conviction to say a player is going suck or declare a bad pick (like Haskins). 

So many unknown variables related to a player succeeding early on— making it incredibly difficult to speculate or project. 

How does one do this? 

With a keyboard.

Honestly with the QB class of 2020 it was unconscionable to choose Haskins and waste that position in the draft when we had so many other needs. We should have picked up a CB, or a DL, player as two examples.  Haskins is clearly a project.  You take a guy like this maybe in the late 4th or 5th round because he did not have enough of a body of work.

WHAT? Not a chance that a player the quality of Dwayne Haskins lasts past the 2nd round! I dont even feel like debating the rest of this because clearly you do not understand the cost of a high-upside quarterback, that has been groomed to play the position since the womb. And then to say we should have drafted a 3rd consecutive DL at #15 is mind blowing. Especially considering the highest ranked DL at #15 left on the board was Montez Sweat... Oh wait

13 minutes ago, wit33 said:

How does one do this? 

Well they watch hours and hours and hours of a few minutes on youtube. Anyone with eyes and a talent for evaluation could understand that.  

11 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Its not about having all day to throw, but hitting receivers in stride. Ball placement is key in the NFL. His crossing route passes are elite and is a staple of the modern NFL.

Shallow crossers under zones to Quinn. Let’s get it. 

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Shallow crossers under zones to Quinn. Let’s get it. 

Ive been really disappointed in Quinn this year. His heads in the right place, and he's in the right spots. But he doesnt have the speed to get separation after the catch. I would start grooming Simms to be the slot guy going into 2020. At the very least, I would try him a bit at the position to see how he fares. Nothing wrong with more speed on the field.

15 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

12. Packers — Jachai Polite, DE/OLB, Florida: Change could be coming for Green Bay's defense, and not just in the coaching staff. Clay Matthews has acknowledged the team might not bring him back as he prepares to enter free agency, and Nick Perry could be let go in a cap-clearing move after posting just 1½ sacks in 2018. A late bloomer with impressive agility, Polite could help the pass rush start a new chapter.

Do any of them have Jones in round 1? I remember January of 2019 when I let the kind & gentle ESers know Jones was in play at 6. Maybe these people need better sources. I’m here for you sweet beages.

12 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Alex was never going to start next year. He was brought here to start for 2 years, and be a high-quality handcuff going in to 2020.

Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith signed a four-year, $94 million extension with the team last week, reports NFL.com. Smith will make $40 million this upcoming season, which includes a $27 million signing bonus, according to the report.Mar 19, 2018

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/19/washington-redskins-alex-smith-contract

14 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Well they watch hours and hours and hours of a few minutes on youtube. Anyone with eyes and a talent for evaluation could understand that.  

Really because people that are paid to evaluate players for a living all had Haskins going in the 1st rd. A lot had him as the number 2 QB off the board. I could give 2 ****s what fans in here think by them watching youtube. 

9 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Ive been really disappointed in Quinn this year. His heads in the right place, and he's in the right spots. But he doesnt have the speed to get separation after the catch. I would start grooming Simms to be the slot guy going into 2020. At the very least, I would try him a bit at the position to see how he fares. Nothing wrong with more speed on the field.

10 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith signed a four-year, $94 million extension with the team last week, reports NFL.com. Smith will make $40 million this upcoming season, which includes a $27 million signing bonus, according to the report.Mar 19, 2018

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/19/washington-redskins-alex-smith-contract

That would give Alex 2 years of starting, and 2 years of high-end handcuff where he has shown an elite ability to mentor younger quarterbacks.

I like Quinn, and Im ok with riding with him. I just see real potential with Sims and would like to find a spot on the field for him. Speed kills.

3 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Really because people that are paid to evaluate players for a living all had Haskins going in the 1st rd. A lot had him as the number 2 QB off the board. I could give 2 ****s what fans in here think by them watching youtube. 

I just cant forget the one dude in here after the Giants game saying he watched "film" on 7 of his games and came to conclusion that he would never work in the NFL or something like that. Worst draft pick ever. And when one of you asked where he got the film he completely ignored that **** and kept going on his talent evals. 

Like bro I know you mean you watched youtube lol. Its ok just say it. I watched it too lol. 

Archived