Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

50 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Bruce Allen will be fired snyder will be talked to from someone who sheds a little light and snyder finally listens getting a decent manager who hires a good coach..the skins take back the division like its the 80's

That's a good one, but it's a bit early for April Fool's, don't you think? 😁

There are three likely scenarios:

1. Allen stays, Alex Smith is fired because he's a threat to Allen's power, team continues to suck for next decade.

2. Allen is fired/retires, Snyder hires Pepper Rodgers again, who lives over in Reston. He needs a drinking buddy after Brucifer is gone.

3. Allen stays, but is moved from GM to stadium operations, and Doug Will-ams is promoted to GM. But Will-ams has no authority to hire a coach, so Snyder goes after big name retreads like Rex Ryan, Jeff Fisher, and Hue Jackson.

Snyder is too addicted to boot-lickers/former Redskins players to truly hire someone from outside the organization, unless it's a Big Splash. The man has learned nothing in 20 years.

1 minute ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

That's a good one, but it's a bit early for April Fool's, don't you think? 😁

There are three likely scenarios:

1. Allen stays, Alex Smith is fired because he's a threat to Allen's power, team continues to suck for next decade.

2. Allen is fired/retires, Snyder hires Pepper Rodgers again, who lives over in Reston. He needs a drinking buddy after Brucifer is gone.

3. Allen stays, but is moved from GM to stadium operations, and Doug Will-ams is promoted to GM. But Will-ams has no authority to hire a coach, so Snyder goes after big names like Rex Ryan, Jeff Fisher, and Hue Jackson.

Snyder is too addicted to boot-lickers/former Redskins players to truly hire someone from outside the organization, unless it's a Big Splash. The man has learned nothing in 20 years.

I'll personally bring you the head of Bruce Allen in April

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The truth is no established big name is gonna come work here and no hot shot rising star(like a Lincoln Riley)will either because they'll have their pick to choose from.

We'll have to settle for a tomato can like Todd Bowles or Raheem Morris.

Lol tomato can haha nice...marvin lewis,mike McCarthy,Todd Bowels..

11 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

‘If’, and it’s still a big ‘IF’ as I type, he finished with a winning record at 6-5. Or even better won out and he went 7-4. (And by association the week-on-week development in many aspects in this young team had continued as they grow together under him.). Which, all things considered, IMHO would be one of the best coaching jobs we’ve ever seen here in our entire storied history (not least given the absolute 0-5 carnage he inherited), and he wasn’t given the gig on merit regardless of what happens with Allen ..... 

That would be to our detriment and an absolute disgrace IMHO and make this organisation even more of a league wide joke than its fallen to already. 

Hail.

No. **** no. Hell  no.

Bill would be a continuation of mediocre football. If he wins 7 games; that will be by beating 6 mediocre or bad teams. He won't do any better than Jay.

As I said before, interim coaches usually aren't that successful when getting the permanent gig.

Has Garrett been that successful? I think Art Shell is  probably  the most successful.

We need a fresh start.

20 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Lol tomato can haha nice...marvin lewis,mike McCarthy,Todd Bowels..

I haven't really thought that hard about it, yet but I know who I don't want based on their history.  Those 3 would be on my don't want list.

As for Bowles specifically my issue with him is that while I think he's a good X's and O's guy -- I hated what I've read about his no pulse personality, leadership skills, organizational skills, discipline, clock management, and more.  McCarthy I got the same issues with except he has more fire than Bowles, actually who doesn't have more fire than Bowles including Belichick?   Marvin Lewis to me just seems vanilla.  Yawn. 

As to Callahan, I wouldn't scream out of disgust or jump for joy.    the best way for me to explain my take on him is if I went for a meal and he was the cook, I'd like half of it, half of it not but it's not a disaster.  Nothing to get excited about at least for me.  In that same category for me would be Gregg Williams and Rex Ryan.  There are aspects of all three I like, and some aspects I don't like about their style.    If I had to rank them, I'd put Greg and Rex slightly over Callahan.  But I wouldn't be jazzed about any of the three but wouldn't hate it.  I think Callahan would be the toughest sell of the three to the fan base. 

But i am also in the camp of I'd prefer someone who wants to make their mark on the league as opposed to someone who already has and are looking for their 2nd stint and aren't far from winding down their career.   Of the veterans, I'd take Ron Rivera but to me he seems like he will slam dunk end up in NY. 

Roman and Bieniemy and Rhule (all of whom might be realistic) are intriguing but I don't feel like I know enough yet to be sold.  Kris Richards maybe.  I think anyone of them would take another job though if offered.  Rumor is Urban Meyer (I wouldn't want him anyway) and Lincoln Riley aren't interested in the job.  Some of the other candidates mentioned around the league like the Vikings & Saints offensive coordinator, Colts and 49ers defensive coordinators -- I don't know enough about yet.  

5 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Brucie getting fired and a new gm could make this possible...thanks to the silverback 

Funny you mention it, Breer talking about it now.  I'll share in a sec. 

Breer just now.

Redskins have put out feelers for coaches.  They are getting serious push back on Bruce and the FO structure.  Dan is  starting to realize that the feeling about anyone coming here is effected by the Bruce tenure, what's happened the last 10 years, and some candidates don't want to be part of something like that.

Breer said it should be interesting to see how far is Dan willing to go to keep Bruce Allen.  Because whomever they poked around with -- Breer said some of whom likely will have multiple possibilities, Bruce looks like a deal breaker. 

The Redskins beat Josh Rosen, Jeff Driskel, and Kyle Allen by a combined 12 points- the only wins on the season as we sit here in *checks calendar* December, mind you- and fans are suggesting this is one of the greatest coaching stints in franchise history?

My God, if this isn't rock bottom just please hit me in the back of the head with a shovel and let's be done with it.

12 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Are people really saying that^^ about this coaching staff ?..

Someone suggested as a hypothetical that, were we to win out and also show development of our young core that it would be one of the best coaching jobs in our history. 

Context is everything in this case.

Quite a bold statement, But I do gotta say, to win 6 in a row with all the rookies and castoffs we have out there right now would be really damn impressive. 

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Someone suggested as a hypothetical that, were we to win out and also show development of our young core that it would be one of the best coaching jobs in our history. 

Quite a bold statement, But I do gotta say, to win 6 in a row with all the rookies and castoffs we have out there right now would be really damn impressive. 

18 playoff seasons, 5 NFC Championships, and 3 Lombardi's is the context.

The fact folks are hypothesizing GOAT coaching jobs based on running the table as we sit 3-9 with wins over Rosen, Driskel, and Allen tells you everything you need to know about the state of both the franchise and the fanbase.   

As Czabe says, anything that happens at the end of a season such as this can simply be balled up and thrown in the wastebasket.  There's no carryover momentum into next season.  Half the roster will be different, most likely along with the coaching staff and the majority of the front office.  The 2020 season is 9 months away, any lingering feel good moments will be long forgotten by the time kickoff rolls around.

4 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

18 playoff seasons, 5 NFC Championships, and 3 Lombardi's is the context.

The fact folks are hypothesizing GOAT coaching jobs based on running the table as we sit 3-9 with wins over Rosen, Driskel, and Allen tells you everything you need to know about the state of both the franchise and the fanbase.   

As Czabe says, anything that happens at the end of a season such as this can simply be balled up and thrown in the wastebasket.  There's no carryover momentum into next season.  Half the roster will be different, most likely along with the coaching staff and the majority of the front office.  The 2020 season is 9 months away, any lingering feel good moments will be long forgotten by the time kickoff rolls around.

You dont have to be so defensive I agreed with your post but added the parts you left out for context, that's all.

Yes it would definitely not be the greatest coaching job in our history and to suggest so is laughable. 

I merely stated that it would be impressive. 

7 minutes ago, redskinss said:

You dont have to be so defensive I agreed with your post but added the parts you left out for context, that's all.

Yes it would definitely not be the greatest coaching job in our history and to suggest so is laughable. 

I merely stated that it would be impressive. 

Sorry, didn't mean to go all Doc Walker on you.  Just sad is all.

40 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Gibbs Hogg Heaven did.

It's gonna be McCarthy or Tomlin if he's canned or put on the block.

Bruce will be tactically moved to another role and Callahan needs to be ditched, or at worst retained at OL. If Callanhan gets the job it is a ****ing greater shambles than I would like to believe.

MMQ about Dallas but has relevance to us, too

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/06/dallas-cowboys-head-coach-jason-garrett-jerry-jones?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

TIER 1: The Names We’ll Hear the Most

Jason Garrett, Urban Meyer, Matt Rhule, Dan Mullen, Lincoln Riley

...Riley makes sense because the hire would make waves. It would represent an immediate boost to a young franchise. It would certainly aid the rapid development of Dak Prescott and, at least for one season, it would pose a challenge to opposing defensive coordinators who would have to figure out what version of his offense Riley might bring with him to the pros. He has ties to a pool of young offensive minds that can keep the central tenants of his scheme fresh. While the move would not bring him any closer to home (Riley is a Lubbock, TX, native) the prestige of the franchise might be hard to ignore for someone who was raised in the Texas football culture.

I included Rhule and Mullen here because, if you follow the line of thinking, it doesn’t seem difficult for Jones to land on two excellent college coaches either with ties to the area or the team itself. Mullen coached Prescott at Mississippi State before heading to Florida. He is a member of Meyer’s coaching tree. He has a career winning record and is 6-2 in bowl games as a head coach.

Rhule, who nearly got the Jets job a year ago, took over a Baylor program in emotional shambles and elevated it to the top 10 again. He made Temple football relevant. His offensive staff has NFL experience and he checks boxes both as a young, energetic program builder and a coach who would immediately freshen up an offense loaded with talent.

TIER 2: The Available, Experienced Veterans

Mike McCarthy, Ron Rivera, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan

I think Jones might value a coach who has either won or reached a Super Bowl recently. There is a cache that comes with telling an owner desperate to win a trophy that you know what the process looks, smells and feels like. 

Shanahan might get renewed credit for his ability to identify and develop young coaches. He once had a staff with Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan and Matt LaFleur (in case you haven’t heard that 1,000 times). Rivera could appeal as an old-school disciplinarian who could work wonders with arguably the best linebacking corps in football. McCarthy would stand out as a coach with a pattern of success in the conference, who has beaten up on the Cowboys in the past and has had the benefit of taking a year off to reevaluate. Harbaugh, while notoriously averse to meddling ownership, satisfies desires for a track record of winning in the NFL, an ability to coach quarterbacks and a foot in the collegiate game.

TIER 3: The Popular Assistant Du Jour

This one I just have a hard time wrapping my head around. I’ve seen Cowboys fans clamoring over Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman, and while I think Roman will get a head-coaching job this offseason, I would find it harder to believe that Jones hires a second straight coordinator without prior head-coaching experience. This hire has to be both splashy and somewhat risk-averse, and a rising coordinator doesn’t give you the same type of up-front guarantees....

Archived