Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

22 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

The NHL Draft is not like the NFL draft where you're drafting a bunch of 21+ guys expected to play now.  There's a LOT of uncertainty, and most of them don't work out.  1st round you'll probably get an NHL player.  Certainly no guarantee of them being 1st or second liners.

Definitely. Couple that with the fact that the Caps are usually drafting at the end of each round because they've been so good (in the regular season) over the past decade, and I can't fault them for missing on a lot of their picks.

20 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

You forget that Ron Francis is a terrible GM.  He reportedly wouldn't work anything out with any GM for anything less than something along the lines of a 1st and 3rd regardless of the actual value.  There's a reason Seattle were bottom-dwellers this season while the Golden Knights went to the finals their first season: Francis is playing in a sandbox while McPhee was playing 3D chess wheeling and dealing.

Brendan Dillon was objectively more valuable, because we traded him away from two 2nd round draft picks, including, again, the one we eventually used to get Vanecek back.  Nick Jensen has been fantastic, and I am glad we still have him.  I was really afraid we'd lose him in the expansion draft as a solid right-handed defenseman on a really cheap contract ($2.5 mil per season).

Francis is also a POS for how he handled things in Carolina. 

So GMBM traded Dillon and used one of those picks to get Vanecek back. Then he used Vanecek and the other second round pick to get a second round pick higher up and a third round pick. He had a good return for Dillon and made it worse. Never mind the fact that they seemed to have kept the worse goalie both times. 

It's worth noting that the guy we picked up with that trade-up in the second round, Ryan Chesley, was getting 1st round grades and some are calling him the steal of the draft (also talks about our first rounder Miroshnichenko, being the biggest steal as he's a top-5 talent if not for the Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma diagnosis).  There's theoretical value of a draft pick based on position, and then there's the value based on the actual players on the board.  If people are to be believed, Chesley was rated as a guy who could have gone as high as 15.  Two-way hard-hitting defenseman with a booming shot.  High floor player, and at 200 pounds, he's already got an NHL build.

Edited by PokerPacker

On 7/9/2022 at 11:32 AM, abdcskins said:

The Filip Forsberg trade was a big debacle. That guy has turned into a stud. Hopefully they can nurture Miroshnichenko and he can develop into a star. Once Ovi retires they will have a gigantic void to fill.

Gotta let the Forsberg thing go, I can't believe fans are still talking about it. Yes, it was a ridiculously short-sighted and selfish trade by a GM desperate to keep his job, but it was also 8 years ago and we've won a Cup since then.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hersh said:

Had no idea he was hurt. Definitely didn't want the Caps to sign him (he offers nothing but nostalgia at this point in his career) but I expected to be able to root for him as another team's backup for at least a few more seasons. Best of luck to him - great player and great guy. Only Olie Kolzig can compare when debating the best goalie in Caps history.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 6:46 PM, Hersh said:

Sad to see he is not able to retire in his own terms.  I am not sure if this happens in the NHL like they do in the NFL. But if this the case may sign a 1 day contract and retire a Cap.

• Like 2

It's not a given that Samsonov is gone.  His arbitration rights were probably gonna make him way expensive for his output.  Without the tender, we can offer him lower and he can decide if he wants to test the open market.  Can't imagine there will be too much fighting over him in Free Agency, given his save percentage was under .900.

The current tandem wasn't getting us anywhere and I'm glad Caps management decided against going with the status quo, which they seem to do too often with too many other players.  It's clear Samsonov's potential as a former 1st round pick will never materialize, so it was time to cut bait.  I'm fine with them signing him to a backup role, with a backup salary, but I doubt he'd go for that.

Their timing on these goaltending decisions was unfortunate.  If they had a crystal ball a year ago, they probably could've gotten a decent return in a trade for Samsonov, and they wouldn't have traded for Vanicek.  But I can't blame Caps brass on this one - most of us thought at least one of these two would work out and establish himself as a legit starter.   

Two hours to go.  Let's do this thing!

On 7/12/2022 at 6:19 AM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ok, I’ve been wondering this for a while: what’s arbitration in hockey terms? 

Third party negotiates a contract between the player and the team.  Results of arbitration are binding.

43 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Let’s gooooooo!

Better contract than early reports had.  I think I can live with that.

It’s between a rock and a hard place for them on goalie right now.  They have to do *something* but the options aren’t great.  Kuemper is probably going to be a contract we regret, but he’s the best available and gotta take a swing.  

12 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Third party negotiates a contract between the player and the team.  Results of arbitration are binding.

Interesting. I was imagining some court room type of ****. 

I wonder why they don’t just negotiate contracts like the NFL. Just an agent communicating with the GM or owner.

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Interesting. I was imagining some court room type of ****. 

I wonder why they don’t just negotiate contracts like the NFL. Just an agent communicating with the GM or owner.

Arbitration is something some Restricted Free Agents have the right to invoke.  As an RFA, they don't enter the open market of free agency, but are realistically made to just sign the Qualifying Offer from the team that holds their rights, or maybe they will be able to come to another arrangement typically trading a higher salary for a longer term.  But if they are eligible for arbitration, it allows them the chance to negotiate a better contract even with the lack of competition for their services from other teams.  Just the threat of arbitration is enough to give them bargaining power to get a better contract than the minimal Qualifying Offer.

22 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

It’s between a rock and a hard place for them on goalie right now.  They have to do *something* but the options aren’t great.  Kuemper is probably going to be a contract we regret, but he’s the best available and gotta take a swing.  

Fortunately a lot of the other goalie-needy teams have been taking care of things through trades, so the FA goalie to Goalie-needy team ratio has been getting better as Free Agency approaches.  And there are still some goalies out there that could be traded-for, so that may help our negotiating power.

Looking at Kuemper's numbers over the last few years... we could do a lot worse.

• Thanks 1

I had mentioned Kuemper awhile back.  I'll admit there were a few occasions watching the Finals where he didn't look like much of an upgrade over what we had already, but he's established and his numbers are pretty good.  Guess you have to take the swing if you want to get Ovechkin one more chance.

• Like 2

I think the goal is that Kuemper maybe had one excellent season in the next 3 and a couple of solid seasons. The last two years probably not great. This team is going to be ancient in a couple of years. Already average age over 30 years old which is the oldest in the league. 

Edited by Hersh

They did the best they could, I think, with goalie.

If they aren’t going to put Backstrom’s $9.2M salary to use elsewhere, it won’t matter.

Im totally convinced the blueprint to remaking them into a contender was trade Carlson, use up Backys salary in FA…then signing Kuemper moves the needle and boom, contender.

Ted’s loyalty is going to keep them as a 7/8 seed more than likely and with the possibility of missing the playoffs altogether on the table, too.

Really think there was still a path to cup relevance available and this ain’t it.  Unless of course McMichael, Lapierre, Protas, etc take big leaps.  BIG leaps.

Kuemper is a solid goalie who is an upgrade over what we had last year, but he doesn't move us past what we are: an old, slow club with some really bad contracts, and is going to be banking big-time on breakout seasons from a lot of our young guys to be anything more than a wild card, one-and-done team.  He's not going to lose us a playoff series, but he won't singlehandedly win us one either.

I understand they can't realistically do a rebuild when they're still making the playoffs, selling out he building, and have some good years left from their franchise legend.  But I wish they would.