ixcuincle

2019 NCAA Football thread

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Forehead said:

Eh, I hear this a lot.  The ACC is recently middling to bad other than Clemson, the PAC-12 has worse competition overall than everyone else (only three Pac 12 teams even have winning records, they can't even beat their OOC opponents), and the Big-12 has some good teams but is a conference averse to defense.  I'm aware the SEC has been the standard in recent memory, but the Big 10 has held its own otherwise.  Luckily we have bowl season to sort this out, as much as anything can be answered after teams haven't played for several weeks.

  

Ohio State has a legitimate shot at the NC and the Big 10 and SEC usually have a handful of match-ups in bowl season to see how things stand.  In the last five years, the Big 10 is 26 - 22 in bowl games, though only 7 - 11 against the SEC.  That puts them at 19 - 11 against everyone else. I'd imagine that's one of the better percentages among the major conferences.

 

 

Ohio State is legit and has a real shot of winning it ball, but I meant that the Big 10 is overrated as hell this year specifically.  This year it's the SEC and everybody else.  There have been years in the recent past where they were underrated, but most of their highly ranked teams this season justify their rankings based off of beating other over-ranked Big 10 teams.  It's a house of cards built upon confirmation bias rather than genuine merit.

 

Take Michigan for example.  They were poorly coached this season and looked like a middling ACC program.  They struggled to beat Army before getting waxed by Wisconsin, and yet they don't fall out of the top 25 afterward.  Why?  That inflates Wisconsin's ranking, and when Penn State beats them, it becomes the biggest feather in their cap and leads to a comical over ranking that put them as high as four.  Then Minnesota comes along, plays nobody, beats that wildly over-ranked Penn State team, and jumps up all of the way into the top ten before promptly losing to an Iowa team that is not any good.  An Iowa team running a remedial offense and a crap QB who is supposed to be a marquee player in the conference but would only be like the 8th best QB in the Pac 12.  So on and so forth.  So there is a transitive property over-ranking effect.  But the truth is that the level of coaching, playmaking, and quarterbacking in the conference was low this year and has been low for a minute.  Kirk Ferentz and Paul Chryst are mediocrities who have figured out how to scratch out perpetual 10 win seasons in the Big 10 despite running high school offenses.  Harbaugh is mailing it in.  James Franklin is a middling SEC coach helming a marquee Big 10 team.  He's Will Muschamp/Dave Clawson/David Shaw.  A nice coach.  Arguably the second best in the Big 10.  But not on the level of a Meyer/Saban/Mullen/Malzan/Fisher/Swinney/Smart.  We'll see if PJ Fleck has staying power or if he's cashing in on a weak schedule and having a couple of NFL receivers in a conference with no playmaking talent outside of Columbus.

 

The media is full of Big 10 guys and their programs get a lot of coverage, and a lot of Big 10 media guys have been looking down their noses at teams from the other conferences, particularly the ACC.  The Big 10 is no better this year.  You all are down here with the rest of us mud people, and Clemson is probably going to go on to destroy the field in the CFP yet again.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming this result holds, and Georgia loses, does the committee put the Oklahoma/Baylor winner in over Georgia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Assuming this result holds, and Georgia loses, does the committee put the Oklahoma/Baylor winner in over Georgia?

 

Yeah.  A two loss Georgia won't make it in.

 

Baylor is the fly in the ointment.  No one wants to see them lose to Ohio State by 70 in the first round.  Not even the alums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm always leery of the Big 12.  I know all conferences are supposed to get a fair shake but I really hate the fact that defense isn't a thing in that conference.  I think Oklahoma would probably get curb stomped as well.  I suppose they're the best option though.  Besides name recognition, everyone after them is flawed and already has two losses.

 

Barring a Georgia victory, I suppose I shouldn't discount that possibility.  No way LSU would drop out.

Edited by Forehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I'm always leery of the Big 12.  I know all conferences are supposed to get a fair shake but I really hate the fact that defense isn't a thing in that conference.  I think Oklahoma would probably get curb stomped as well.  I suppose they're the best option though.  Besides name recognition, everyone after them is flawed and already has two losses.

 

 Barring a Georgia victory, I suppose I shouldn't discount that possibility.  No way LSU would drop out.

 

Yeah, I'd rather see one of these Pac-12 teams in the fourth spot than a Big 12 team.  But Utah's offensive line is a fatal flaw.  Chase Young would probably get another four sacks on them.

 

Oklahoma has an explosive offense, so they could at least trade scores with Ohio State and LSU.  But if we're being honest, the only teams that really have a chance against Ohio State as a four seed are in the SEC.  Maybe Oregon, but they screwed themselves.

 

Still a lot of unlikely weird stuff that can play out tomorrow.  Clemson could lay turd against UVA and fall out of the playoff.  Wisconsin could pull off a shocker.  That wouldn't be insane, as Justin Fields has been kind of shaky at times this season.  The weirdest scenario is for each of the top three seeds to lose.  In that situation, Georgia becomes the #1 seed, LSU and Ohio State get stuck playing each other for the real championship in the first round, and Wisconsin makes it in as #4 and we're treated to a 13 to 10 snooze fest in the first round match up with Georgia.

Anybody else seeing this bizarre Johnny Depp Dior commercial over and over again?  It's clear he's never used a spade in his life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Captain James said:

Your magic ball pales in comparison to Burreaux's Balls!

 

Ok man.  Whatever you say :rolleyes:

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

 

Ok man.  Whatever you say :rolleyes:

 

Don’t worry about LSU fans. They aren’t even used to competent QB play so finally having a QB that’s actually good now becomes an athletic Tom Brady because they just don’t know better 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

 

Don’t worry about LSU fans. They aren’t even used to competent QB play so finally having a QB that’s actually good now becomes an athletic Tom Brady because they just don’t know better 

 

I'm not worried about anything lol 

 

This guy on here saying he's the best QB ever to play..........Clown shoes.

 

Image result for cocaines a hell of a drug animated gif

 

 

 

 

30 minutes ago, Captain James said:

He's athletic Tom Brady. Come at me.

 

Ok guy.....

 

Image result for internet tough guy animated meme

 

Or should I say "Internet Tough Guy"..............

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Burrow has a nice game. 

 

Wisky gonna bounce OSU out of the top spot. LSU/Clemson/OSU/Okie in that order me thinks. Good matchups.


#8 Wisconsin beating OSU to win their conference and then OSU still getting in over them is the most college football thing ever which means it will happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:


#8 Wisconsin beating OSU to win their conference and then OSU still getting in over them is the most college football thing ever which means it will happen 

 

Same thing happened to Penn State in 2016.  They beat Ohio State, and beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship.  Ohio State still went to the playoffs.  Penn State was their only loss, while Penn State had lost to Pitt out of conference, and been blown out by Michigan.  One loss non-conference winner got in over a two loss conference champion.

 

If Wisconsin holds, it'll happen again.  I know a lot of Penn State fans were bitter about it in 2016, and it was gratifying to watch Clemson shut Ohio State out in the playoffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Forehead said:

If Wisconsin holds, it'll happen again.  I know a lot of Penn State fans were bitter about it in 2016, and it was gratifying to watch Clemson shut Ohio State out in the playoffs.


college football somehow went from every game mattering to games not mattering at all. Settling it on the field means nothing if OSU loses to Wisconsin and they collectively decide “well even tho they lost, we know OSU is better so we will keep them in the playoff” 

 

why play the damn games at all

.

Wisconsin isn’t winning anyway

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:


college football somehow went from every game mattering to games not mattering at all. Settling it on the field means nothing if OSU loses to Wisconsin and they collectively decide “well even tho they lost, we know OSU is better so we will keep them in the playoff” 

 

why play the damn games at all

 

That was Penn State's argument.  Understand I'm not sure that Penn State deserved to go either, Big 10 champion or not.  Losing to Pitt ever disqualifies you in my book.  Losing to Michigan by 30+ isn't great either.  I was just annoyed that it was Ohio State that got to go in our place. I would have rather seen the Big 10 shut out (even though the 5/6/8 teams were Big 10 teams) than send Ohio State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Forehead said:

 

Same thing happened to Penn State in 2016.  They beat Ohio State, and beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship.  Ohio State still went to the playoffs.  Penn State was their only loss, while Penn State had lost to Pitt out of conference, and been blown out by Michigan.  One loss non-conference winner got in over a two loss conference champion.

 

If Wisconsin holds, it'll happen again.  I know a lot of Penn State fans were bitter about it in 2016, and it was gratifying to watch Clemson shut Ohio State out in the playoffs.

 

Except that nobody gives a **** about Penn State.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Damn you Wisconsin 

 

Not really mattering now.  Funny ****, my best friend is a Wisconsin fan and his sister is an Ohio State fan..............they are at the bar battling it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.