Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Steelers got nothing for Bell.   I am ok with waiting it out some but I'd make a deal as soon as I'd get a good offer.   Trent still needs to learn the system for whatever team acquires him.  I am not totally sure he's value increases once the season starts considering he's already missed games and I'd presume they'd want him a week or two in practice before throwing him out there.

A seven-time pro bowler will only need so much seasoning. :)

Though, admittedly, I have no idea what shape he is in now.

6 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I can see that.

A Patriot first round pick is like an early second round pick.

I don't blame them for wanting to hold out for something a little better.

Sheehan isn't bad when he throws stuff out there.  He was the dude for example who said Bruce was going to do a media tour (after him being silent for awhile) weeks before he did it.

If its true it at least indicates they can get a late first.  A late first seemed to be what Garafalo thought they can get so I wonder if he knew about that offer.  If that's the best they can get, I'd do it.  A late one has more value than an early 2nd.  You get the 5th year on the rookie deal.  Also it has a lot of trade value -- teams want to get their guys before the 2nd round. 

But agree if they can get more, hold out.  But for me if this is the peak, do it.    

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

A seven-time pro bowler will only need so much seasoning. :)

Though, admittedly, I have no idea what shape he is in now.

No preseason, no camp, and a new system.  I'd presume they just don't bring him in and throw him into a game a few days later, etc.  but I don't know.  That's what am assuming.  But my larger point is letting it bleed into the season i think carries some risk.  It's a great move if someone gets hurt early in the season.  But if that doesn't happen then you are getting less of Trent so speak because you don't get him for the full season.  

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Who is to say that the best deal comes later? 

No one does.

But is the first offer they got the best deal and you just take it? Or do you wait and see what comes along as the preseason (and maybe the start of the regular season) play out?

The only thing they can get for TW is probably draft picks, and the draft isn't until next April.

They have some time to let this play out.

This TW thing is actually perfect timing, it's very possible his disappointment with the team allows us to gain an important piece in our effort to rebuild.

I'm glad they didn't take the low 1st, I think we need to see what happens with injuries around the league after this weeks games.

In theory, we should see some action on this within the next 2 weeks unless Bruce decides to stonewall TW instead of picking up valuable picks that we will need.

I'm glad Sheehans report was that it "wasn't enough" as opposed to "we aren't willing to trade", that's a positive sign.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No preseason, no camp, and a new system.  I'd presume they just don't bring him in and throw him into a game a few days later, etc.  but I don't know.  That's what am assuming.  But my larger point is letting it bleed into the season i think carries some risk.  It's a great move if someone gets hurt early in the season.  But if that doesn't happen then you are getting less of Trent so speak because you don't get him for the full season.  

I think for now, the risk is minimal.

If things stay the way they are.

I think if TW starts talking and his interviews and articles start to flood the narrative, then it becomes a circus, a distraction, and something may have to be done.

So far, silence from him.

12 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Texans just lost another OT.... 

Here is the problem. Bruce and Jay need to win this year. Trading trent for picks does not help with that. It is in their best interest to try and get Trent back in anyway possible. And if they can’t get Trent back, a pick doesn’t really help them. If they  go 4-12, both of them might be fired anyway.

So in Bruce’s mind, you might as well wait him out and try and bleed Trent and get him to come back. Even if you can get a first round pick, that just isn’t going to help with your situation.

Not saying this is the right answer, however I guarantee you this is the way Bruce is thinking. He needs a short-term fix, not a long-term fix

38 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think for now, the risk is minimal.

If things stay the way they are.

I think if TW starts talking and his interviews and articles start to flood the narrative, then it becomes a circus, a distraction, and something may have to be done.

So far, silence from him.

The risk now is minimal is my point.  I think the time to trade him is this week or next in all likelihood.  Granted there is no way to predict a perfect timetable but my thought is I'd rather it not spill into the season. 

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Here is the problem. Bruce and Jay need to win this year. Trading printer for traffic does not help with that. It is in their best interest to try and get trimmed back in anyway possible. And if they can’t get Trip back, a pic doesn’t really help them. If the rest can go for a 12, both of them might be fired anyway.

So in Bruce’s mind, you might as well wait him out and try and bleed Trent and get him to come back. Even if you can get a first round pick, that just isn’t going to help with your situation.

Not saying this is the right answer, however I guarantee you this is the way Bruce is thinking. He needs a short-term fix, not a long-term fix

There is the good chance this is sadly correct.  And if so it would be typical Dan short term thinking.  It would be on him.  hopefully, he's learned something in his 20 years of gaffe after gaffe. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The risk now is minimal is my point.  I think the time to trade him is this week or next in all likelihood.  Granted there is no way to predict a perfect timetable but my thought is I'd rather it not spill into the season. 

I wouldn't want it to go into the regular season, either, but I'm not as worried about it as others are if it does go that way.

VoR might have a point, though, the Allen/Gruden may be looking at this in a short term way, and not thinking about draft picks, since there is a chance neither will be here next year if things go south.

Especially Gruden.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Way back when Jim lachey came in for the Skins and became a starter almost instantly, much more recently Duane Brown quickly became a starter for his new team

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wow, well in that case I admit I was wrong, I felt strongly that he wouldn't fetch that high of an offer. I know we are all thinking that a Pats 1st is essentially a 2nd rounder, but really any of the teams who will take on an aging LT are going to need to be a team in contention now. 

I hate that I've been defending the FO so much in this situation, but I applaud them for not "getting fleeced"... yet. If it were me, I'd gladly take the Pats offer and move on from this problem.

I would love a statement from the FO regarding this mess, but I understand why they are staying quiet; this is how good FOs handle these situations. Many view the Steelers as a top notch organization, but look at the AB and LevBell drama that they just endured; this stuff happens and it's not always the FO to blame. They lost their two best players, can you imagine what ES would be if that happened to the Redskins? Can you imagine the media crucifixion? 

We are exactly where many of us thought we'd be while reading the tea leaves over the last couple of months. Now I'm just hoping that we can very soon change back the title of this thread when news comes in that TW has been shipped. I'll always appreciate what he was for this team, but good riddance. 

11 minutes ago, carex said:

Way back when Jim lachey came in for the Skins and became a starter almost instantly, much more recently Duane Brown quickly became a starter for his new team

Part of my point is getting some playing time before the debut.  Lachey didn't miss the full training camp and preseason and if recall even played a regular season game for Oakland.  Duane Brown played the week before the Seattle trade for the Texans. 

32 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

VoR might have a point, though, the Allen/Gruden may be looking at this in a short term way, and not thinking about draft picks, since there is a chance neither will be here next year if things go south.

Especially Gruden.

That's part of my concern.  It's possible to some in that building getting a 2020 draft pick means nothing to their bottom line -- and i don't blame them for that mindset.  It would be up to Dan to push it in that case.  I haven't heard Hoffman speak on this recently but one of his last goes of this -- he thought it could become a starring contest that would bleed into the season.  I don't want this to turn into the L. Bell situation with the Steelers where in effect both sides lose in the end. 

34 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Here is the problem. Bruce and Jay need to win this year. Trading trent for picks does not help with that. It is in their best interest to try and get Trent back in anyway possible. And if they can’t get Trent back, a pick doesn’t really help them. If they  go 4-12, both of them might be fired anyway.

I agree that Jay is on the hot seat, but I'm not anywhere near as sure that Bruce is as well. If Bruce is as deep in Snyder's good graces as it appears, he won't have to worry this season. 

If you are correct then yes, I'd be more worried about how this situation will play out. If we turned down a Pats 1st and ended up taking the rumored trade of TW for Clowney, I would be disgusted.

Well that can finally put to rest the mid round pick garbage. Glad they didn’t jump just for a late first, but totally agree that they can’t let this bleed too long. I think after the dress rehearsal week will be the perfect time. There will be a team or 2 (like us lol) that won’t be able to stomach how their LT or OL is looking and will get desperate. That will be peak value. Any time after the season starts the value will begin to go down. There may be one team that loses their LT early on that gets really desperate but wouldn’t want to chance that. After week 3, there will be the most teams interested.

if it was the Pats, I wonder if that offer was from the period weeks back when their interest was first alluded to.  Since then a reporter close to the Pats thinks that interest might have cooled because Wynn has bounced back.

I've been in the camp that they could get a first and change for Trent.  But I waffle on the idea of waiting much longer at this juncture of the season.

7 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Well that can finally put to rest the mid round pick garbage. 

What a relief. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Since then a reporter close to the Pats think that interest might have cooled because Wynn has bounced back.

tenor.gif

People keep saying a Pats 1st is like an early 2nd but its really not. Remember, with 1st round picks you get the extra 5th year option which is huge.

No surprise Allen turned them down. Dude has no idea how to value assets. This is the same dude who got nothing for Cousins too when we all knew he was gonzo.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

People keep saying a Pats 1st is like an early 2nd but its really not. Remember, with 1st round picks you get the extra 5th year option which is huge.

No surprise Allen turned them down. Dude has no idea how to value assets. This is the same dude who got nothing for Cousins too when we all knew he was gonzo.

I was just thinking that... At first, I was worried that we'd get Kendall Fuller'd, but now I'm on the opposite side, what if BA's asking price is outlandish and we're forced to hold him for the year.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

The 2020 class is the most loaded in the history of draft classes. All 28th picks are not created equally... there will be 20 guys who could start for us yesterday at pick 28. 

Just now, volsmet said:

The 2020 class is the most loaded in the history of draft classes. All 28th picks are not created equally... there will be 20 guys who could start for us yesterday at pick 28. 

Yeah I’m worried Bruce is going to dig in like he did with Kirk when it’s clear nothing is budging. The only difference is if Bruce had traded Kirk after 2017 the fan base would have revolted (Not I) so i think he probably caved to that a little too. Whereas now, there’s a sizable contingent of the fan base that seems to realize this may be the best thing for us to really gear up for a Haskins run once he’s ready. 

Archived