• Blog Entries

    • By Destino in ES Coverage
         1
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

      Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   
       
      My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  
       
      Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  
       
      Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 
       
      The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  
       
      The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 
       
      1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.
       
      Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  
       
      Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?
       
      2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

      Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

      The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 
       
      3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 
       
      I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

      4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 
       
      Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 
       
      TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 
       
      The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 
       
      End of Game.
       
      Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:
       
      1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.
       
      Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

       
       

       
       
       
       
       
Owls0325

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Recommended Posts

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

 

I hope I am wrong, but with his history, I see no way we'd get anything more than a conditional late rounder based on playing time...

 

Even if we got that, you take that. Teams should always be attempting to accrue an asset for an asset. Even low draft picks. You get enough of them and you can turn them into higher picks or if nothing else it gives you more lottery tickets to try to hit with and can reduce your pay roll for a rebuilding team.

 

The Redskins aren't "rebuilding" because our front office can't see the forest through the trees.

 

But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I doubt the FO would be stupid enough not to trade him in the off season. I don't know if the FO had any inkling Trent was going to do this prior to the draft. Yea..there may have been "issues" but the holdout caught the FO off guard. Penn IS a Cheaper and adequate solution until he get hurt or worn down. If you can't get a #1..then deal with it in March 2020...The team has MUCH bigger issues in 2019 than this. At least we/re not alone..jets/miami/giants....The Jets thing makes me reconsider Gregg...I'll pass on him for that showing alone...

 

1) How can the team be caught off guard when the rumors were out there that he was frustrated? And beyond that, why does that forgive their lack of ability to adjust and respond to adversity?

 

2) Is there bigger issues, though? One of the biggest issues with the Redskins is roster management. This falls under that umbrella.

 

3) What Jets thing? You mean the fact that the Jets defense managed to keep the Browns close for the majority of the football game despite the fact that their offensive line may be the worst I've ever seen, were on their third string QB and they struggled to do anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KDawg said:

 

Even if we got that, you take that. Teams should always be attempting to accrue an asset for an asset. Even low draft picks. You get enough of them and you can turn them into higher picks or if nothing else it gives you more lottery tickets to try to hit with and can reduce your pay roll for a rebuilding team.

 

The Redskins aren't "rebuilding" because our front office can't see the forest through the trees.

 

But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

 

I agree that we should take what we can get when we are talking about Reed. I've grown extremely tired of his injuries (though I honestly think he should retire). He'll always be just potential in my eyes.

 

It's a shame that TE has been an issue for us for a few seasons with the exception of V. Davis and we have yet to try and solve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kerrigan is worth hanging on to.  He's the good kind of vet presence in the locker room.  No diva in him.

 

He's also worth seeing what we can get for him and moving on. It's likely a scheme fault, but seeing him 8 yards upfield and allowing the "g" guard on power to run to the second level while no one had to block him repeatedly so far this season is infuriating. 

 

If it's schematic, why keep an asset such as Kerrigan when we can get a good return?

 

If it's him, he's not the asset we think he is.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I doubt the FO would be stupid enough not to trade him in the off season. I don't know if the FO had any inkling Trent was going to do this prior to the draft. Yea..there may have been "issues" but the holdout caught the FO off guard. Penn IS a Cheaper and adequate solution until he get hurt or worn down. If you can't get a #1..then deal with it in March 2020...The team has MUCH bigger issues in 2019 than this. At least we/re not alone..jets/miami/giants....The Jets thing makes me reconsider Gregg...I'll pass on him for that showing alone...

 

By my count this is their 6th month dealing with this.  How much time do they need to process it?  I follow the Dolphins closely since i am in South Florida and Minkah pretty much just became an issue as for his discontent a few weeks ago.  They made a decision.  They acted and now likely have a top 10 pick for it.  It's not rocket science.   

 

I'd be very surprised if Trent's value stays the same in the off season.  If I were another team my interest would not be as high.  In the off season, you got Trent now going to be 32, only one year left on his contract and most importantly a draft that's potentially very rich at LT and FA in front of me, too.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks iike the Broncos need a LT now as well... Garret Bolles experiment may be coming to an end..... I'd give them TW plus our entire roster for Von Miller...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Looks iike the Broncos need a LT now as well... Garret Bolles experiment may be coming to an end..... I'd give them TW plus our entire roster for Von Miller...

 

Bolles is nearly as popular in Denver as Flowers was in NY. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Looks iike the Broncos need a LT now as well... Garret Bolles experiment may be coming to an end..... I'd give them TW plus our entire roster for Von Miller...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

By my count this is their 6th month dealing with this.  How much time do they need to process it?  I follow the Dolphins closely since i am in South Florida and Minkah pretty much just became an issue as for his discontent a few weeks ago.  They made a decision.  They acted and now likely have a top 10 pick for it.  It's not rocket science.   

 

I'd be very surprised if Trent's value stays the same in the off season.  If I were another team my interest would not be as high.  In the off season, you got Trent now going to be 32, only one year left on his contract and most importantly a draft that's potentially very rich at LT and FA in front of me, too.   

 

if he does not play this year then his contract does not advance.  He may be a year older but he had a year less wear and tear and some of the top tackles in the league are in their mid to late 30s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple, your first rounder would do it. I have a feeling the Broncos will be a top-10, maybe even top-5 pick to go along with our own top-5 pick.... beautiful

Just now, volsmet said:

Another team that needs a LT, Houston.

 

have a feeling Houston won't be picking until the early 20s. Denver might have a top-5 pick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, carex said:

 

if he does not play this year then his contract does not advance.  He may be a year older but he had a year less wear and tear and some of the top tackles in the league are in their mid to late 30s

 

You are assuming that trading him next year involves him not coming back.  i am not assuming that.  D. Hall among others have said worst case he'd come when he gets vested this year if I recall that's week 10?

 

But anyway i'll play along if its not the case.

 

A.  He'd be 32

B.  You got what could be an historic draft right in front of you at LT

C.  You got FA.

 

Why would an older Trent plus many more options to fix LT at your disposable maintain his trade value versus now?

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Simple, your first rounder would do it. I have a feeling the Broncos will be a top-10, maybe even top-5 pick to go along with our own top-5 pick.... beautiful

 

have a feeling Houston won't be picking until the early 20s. Denver might have a top-5 pick.

 

we aren't going to be much worse than last year if at all

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

You are assuming that trading him next year involves him not coming back.  i am not assuming that.  D. Hall among others have said worst case he'd come when he gets vested this year if I recall that's week 10?

 

But anyway i'll play along if its not the case.

 

A.  He'd be 32

B.  You got what could be an historic draft right in front of you at LT

C.  You got FA.

 

Why would an older Trent plus many more options to fix LT at your disposable maintain his trade value versus now?

 

 

 

because Trent is better than the free agents available an you're guaranteed to get a guy with a trade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, carex said:

 

we aren't going to be much worse than last year if at all

 

because Trent is better than the free agents available an you're guaranteed to get a guy with a trade

 

Wishful thinking.... I see us picking in the top 5. We have more talent, yes, but we are not coached well. It's going down quickly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

 

Wishful thinking.... I see us picking in the top 5. We have more talent, yes, but we are not coached well. It's going down quickly...

 

Our offense looks well coached. The young guys played hard the first two weeks.

 

Unfortunately the defense does not. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, carex said:

 

because Trent is better than the free agents available an you're guaranteed to get a guy with a trade

 

So teams won't care that he's a year older, has just one year left on his contract and that the draft then is likely special at the same position?   And they also got FA to fix that position, too.

 

I like Trent as much as anyone.  But I am not trading a first rounder for a 32 year old in the off season with all that's available.  Now, if i am a coach in a win now or else season or I think he could be the missing piece for the SB, I'd trade a first and change for Trent right now.  But not in the off season when there are potentially a bounty of other fish in the sea.  I mean maybe i'd give up a 2nd for Trent then but not a first. 

 

To me the difference between now and next off season is night and day.  If Trent was 26 and had 3 years left in his contract, I'd feel differently.    

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Let’s get a bidding war going...

Lets not mess around. First one to offer a 1st round pick gets him....... 1,2,3, Go.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trents value will never be higher than in the next 2-4 weeks. A huge part of his value is the remaining two years left on deal at a fair price. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Lets not mess around. First one to offer a 1st round pick gets him....... 1,2,3, Go.....

 

Im not remotely interested in acquiring the 31st or so pick in next years draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If it's schematic, why keep an asset such as Kerrigan when we can get a good return?

 

If it's him, he's not the asset we think he is.

 

I'm conflicted...just because he's the kind of guy you keep around as a leader.  He's on a very team friendly contract, for now. 

 

I could see a good defense wanting him, and letting him play out the rest of his contract.  You're not going to get a guy with his production, for the money he's getting paid, period.      

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.