Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AL.com: Alabama Public Television refuses to air Arthur episode with gay wedding

Cooked Crack

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Yes. I believe I’ve answered this question in various forms throughout the thread. 

I realize you and others cant help but cling  to the notion that it must be fueled by fear or hated of gays. It’s been explained multiple times that it’s not. So, take your nonsense to someone else please. 

That's up to you, but I think your position is extreme.  I don't think many people see depictions of weddings and marriages as being inappropriate for young children.  They're not inherently sexual.  They are fundamental institutions/rituals in our society.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's up to you, but I think your position is extreme.  I don't think many people see depictions of weddings and marriages as being inappropriate for young children.  They're not inherently sexual.  They are fundamental institutions/rituals in our society.

My kids will have an entire life full of dealing with various social issues; race, gender, religion, whatever. 

And school shootings. And class warfare. And everything else

So yeah, I’d prefer my 3 year old be left out of it for another year or two. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Feeling that children need to be sheltered from exposure to gay marriages until a certain age, but that no such sheltering from exposure to straight marriages is necessary demonstrates a feeling that there is something taboo in gay marriage from which very young kids need to be protected.  If you feel this way, it betrays a lack of normalization of gay marriages for you.  That doesn't make you a bigot--I think it's an honest response to society still very much placing something taboo in gay marriages.  It also makes it clear that the normalization of gay marriages in media is very necessary.

Believing that gay marriages shouldn't be normalized does make you a bigot though.

Sometimes it's just as simple as preferring to have a talk about certain topics (not just the topic of gay marriage) when the parent feels the child is old enough to fully or better understand those topics.  With the understanding that those conversations, questions, etc. may happen at any time, regardless of when the parent would prefer they happen.  It doesn't mean the person is a bad parent or thinks it's taboo, etc.  

The main job as a parent is to understand your children and make what you think are the best decisions for them.  Each child is different, communities that people live in are different, areas of the country they live are different.  It's about taking multiple factors into consideration.  I've stated this multiple times, if a parent doesn't care about addressing this topic with their 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. year old then that's fine, it doesn't make them wrong.  Just like it's fine for those parents that prefer to wait to address it if possible, they aren't wrong either.

To correct myself in previous posts - I was speaking to my wife last night about this and it turned out I was wrong in thinking this topic didn't come up until after my daughter had the sex ed talk with my wife last year (because it did come up a few weeks after), but she reminded me that it first came up almost a couple of years prior.  She came downstairs when me and my wife were watching one of our TV shows and saw two girls kiss and started asking questions. 

So, it she was educated that sometimes two men or two women love each other just like a man and woman do and that it was perfectly fine and nothing is wrong with that.  She would have been around 8-9 years old when that happened.  

19 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

My kid notices a person using a wheelchair for mobility and asks about it (me, not the person. They aren’t there to exist as an after school special.) 

“Sometimes people use chairs because they had a problem with their legs. It happens. But they’re here at the mall too. Everyone loves the mall!”

My kid plays with a classmate and notices she has two moms. “Sometimes a kid has two moms or two dads. Isn’t that cool?” 

My 4 year old notices things and I’m there to help put it in context, process it with him and then he’s back off the the races. No big deal. 

What about the part where you tell your 4 year old that Jimbo is sticking is weenie into Chad’s butthole for fun?  Then they can make more gay babies, gaybies if you will.

Cause that’s what all us responsible parents tell their kids who watch gay weddings.

44 minutes ago, Springfield said:

What about the part where you tell your 4 year old that Jimbo is sticking is weenie into Chad’s butthole for fun?  Then they can make more gay babies, gaybies if you will.

Cause that’s what all us responsible parents tell their kids who watch gay weddings.

If you’re really committed to push the gay agenda you’d be taking advantage of the visual aids the internet has available. Some kids learn better if they can actually see what you’re trying to teach them 

11 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

If you’re really committed to push the gay agenda you’d be taking advantage of the visual aids the internet has available. Some kids learn better if they can actually see what you’re trying to teach them 

Oooh good thinking.  I could probably also sign him up for a Grindr account too, or better yet, get him involved in Boy Scouts.

16 hours ago, Springfield said:

Oooh good thinking.  I could probably also sign him up for a Grindr account too, or better yet, get him involved in Boy Scouts.

You could take them to the public library...

14 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Then he hops up on the bed beside buzz with lipstick prints all over his face. 

Point being, nobody would bat an eye at this. But if it were two male cartoon characters, people wouldn’t let their kids watch it 

Simply because lots of people still believe homosexuality is immoral. And that people have a subjective view of what's immoral. What's so hard to comprehend about those facts?

54 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Simply because lots of people still believe homosexuality is immoral. And that people have a subjective view of what's immoral. What's so hard to comprehend about those facts?

And some people find it immoral that a group of humans are forced to hide themselves and their existence is considered something that should remain hidden. What's so hard to comprehend about that?

Not showing 2 gay guys on a cartoon on a network for 2-8 year olds get married is not forcing gay people to hide themselves. 

I realize framing it that way really helps your argument but that doesn’t make it true. 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Not showing 2 gay guys on a cartoon on a network for 2-8 year olds get married is not forcing gay people to hide themselves. 

I realize framing it that way really helps your argument but that doesn’t make it true. 

You're not directly forcing them to hide but you are contributing to a society that is telling them that they are not normal and they are wrong and thus causing them feel the need to hide.

Just now, tshile said:

It is one of the ways we make the issue taboo no matter how much you want to twist yourself into a pretzel to defend your position.

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

I'm curious, I believe you said you live in NOVA. If you are going down the street and your son sees two men or women holding hands and asks if they are boyfriend / girlfriend how would you respond? 

My son is 4 and my daughter is eight, they go to a private school with several same sex couples. My son has been going there since he was 2.5 and not once has anything more than saying "They love each other and so and so goes to school here" has been necessary. 

As a couple we have married friends that are same sex and I can't imagine trying to hide that from my kids. I'm honestly curious how you would handle a real world interaction involving this with your son. 

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You're not directly forcing them to hide but you are contributing to a society that is telling them that they are not normal and they are wrong and thus causing them feel the need to hide.

No I’m not. 

6 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

If you are going down the street and your son sees two men or women holding hands and asks if they are boyfriend / girlfriend how would you respond? 

I’d follow my sons lead. It goes wherever he takes it. The general undertones of the conversation would be that what he saw is perfectly fine and they’re just like the rest of us minus one small detail that doesn’t matter to us; it’s their business. 

Which is completely different than what comes across tv.  Maybe you should read the thread 

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

No I’m not. 

I’d follow my sons lead. It goes wherever he takes it. The general undertones of the conversation would be that what he saw is perfectly fine and they’re just like the rest of us minus one small detail that doesn’t matter to us; it’s their business. 

Which is completely different than what comes across tv.  Maybe you should read the thread 

Thank you for the response, I did read the thread. The context I got is that you would want to be prepared ahead of time to have that conversation with your son. 

I think that's a great way to look at it but in many cases kids are more observant than people give them credit for and questions tend to come out of left field. Again, I appreciate your response. 

15 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

I'm curious, I believe you said you live in NOVA. If you are going down the street and your son sees two men or women holding hands and asks if they are boyfriend / girlfriend how would you respond? 

My son is 4 and my daughter is eight, they go to a private school with several same sex couples. My son has been going there since he was 2.5 and not once has anything more than saying "They love each other and so and so goes to school here" has been necessary. 

As a couple we have married friends that are same sex and I can't imagine trying to hide that from my kids. I'm honestly curious how you would handle a real world interaction involving this with your son. 

It wasn't that long ago that adults with insecurities wanted gay people to also hide themselves in public so the children wouldn't be exposed.

Like you say, in most parts of the country like NoVA and DC, that aren't voluntarily living 50 years in the past, gay marriage and homosexual relationships are pretty normalized and out in the open. To think a cartoon will make children uncomfortable is so laughably dumb. Maybe in Alabama that's true, who knows.

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It wasn't that long ago that adults with insecurities wanted gay people to also hide themselves in public so the children wouldn't be exposed.

Plenty of people still feel this way. I live in NOVA and there are plenty there still. 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Plenty of people still feel this way. I live in NOVA and there are plenty there still. 

Yes, and the concept of homosexuality is so normalized, that no one listens to them.

I don't care for what Alabama is doing because it's a clear attempt at pushing homosexuality out of public sight. I get this is not your reason for support, but the vocal minority uncomfortable with homosexuality will do all it can to go back to a time when we could pretend this isn't a common phenomenon.

Ultimately, I just don't think children care that much if they are exposed to it early on or if their parents don't have hangups themselves.

Archived