Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I'm saying... If we somehow dont get Young, I wouldnt at all be upset with Jeudy. Then you have two knockout 1-1A WR's for the next 4 years at least, and if we ****can Bruce, maybe you try to coax a couple more years out of Trent, and make a play for a guy in next years draft to put at OT?

But I think you could do a hell of a lot with McLaurin-Jeudy-Harmon as your top  receivers

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'm saying... If we somehow dont get Young, I wouldnt at all be upset with Jeudy. Then you have two knockout 1-1A WR's for the next 4 years at least, and if we ****can Bruce, maybe you try to coax a couple more years out of Trent, and make a play for a guy in next years draft to put at OT?

But I think you could do a hell of a lot with McLaurin-Jeudy-Harmon as your top  receivers

I love Jeudy and Lamb.  I give a slight nod to Lamb but love them both.  With Guice, Love, Peterson at RB.  Jeudy or Lamb, Harmon, McLaurin that would be some killer supporting cast.  Maybe if Bruce is gone Trent is back or you trade him for a high 2nd and get a LT at that spot, Jackson, Cosmi?  In theory, I value LT over WR.  But I think Jeudy and Lamb > Thomas, Wirfs, Wills. 

And now, a few notes culled from calls with execs…

• No one has much of an issue with Burrow as the top quarterback, and some felt he should be as high as No. 2 overall on this list, which is in part a reflection of the makeup of the draft class. Young is clearly No. 1. Brown is a solid No. 2. And from there, it depends on who you talk to.

• I had two execs tell me to put Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa on this top 10 list, and a couple others say the same for Oregon’s Justin Herbert. For different reasons (Injuries/durability for Tua, inconsistency for Herbert), the assessments on each of those two will vary.

• The offensive tackle position will be interesting; lots of teams need line help, and it’s getting increasingly hard to find it. Like we said earlier, there are four tackles in the mix to go in the top half of the first round, with Thomas and Wirfs joined by USC’s Austin Jackson and Alabama’s Jedrick Wills.

• It feels like teams have cooled some on Jeudy, in part because of his size, and in part because there’s quality receiver depth in the first round. Both Clemson’s Tee Higgins and Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb were mentioned to me as players with a good shot at going in front of Jeudy.

Everyone loved Delpit coming into the season, and he’s slid some with inconsistent play this fall—in particular, his tackling. In fact, there are some execs who told me this week they believe Alabama’s Xavier McKinney, by virtue of his man cover skills, could challenge Delpit to be the first safety taken.

• Before the season, Georgia’s D’Andre Swift was the tailback mentioned in this territory. Month later, it was Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor who came up. I don’t think either will go in the first 10 picks. But both have a shot to go in the first round.

We’ll see a bunch of these players during bowl season, then it’s on to the all-star games. It will be an interesting few months ahead…

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I love Jeudy and Lamb.  I give a slight nod to Lamb but love them both.  With Guice, Love, Peterson at RB.  Jeudy or Lamb, Harmon, McLaurin that would be some killer supporting cast.  Maybe if Bruce is gone Trent is back or you trade him for a high 2nd and get a LT at that spot, Jackson, Cosmi?  In theory, I value LT over WR.  But I think Jeudy and Lamb > Thomas, Wirfs, Wills. 

• The offensive tackle position will be interesting; lots of teams need line help, and it’s getting increasingly hard to find it. Like we said earlier, there are four tackles in the mix to go in the top half of the first round, with Thomas and Wirfs joined by USC’s Austin Jackson and Alabama’s Jedrick Wills.

• It feels like teams have cooled some on Jeudy, in part because of his size, and in part because there’s quality receiver depth in the first round. Both Clemson’s Tee Higgins and Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb were mentioned to me as players with a good shot at going in front of Jeudy.

Everyone loved Delpit coming into the season, and he’s slid some with inconsistent play this fall—in particular, his tackling. In fact, there are some execs who told me this week they believe Alabama’s Xavier McKinney, by virtue of his man cover skills, could challenge Delpit to be the first safety taken.

Due to many teams needs I could easily see three OL off the board before three WR's. I would def hold off on taking a WR and hope to land a OL and DB first.

Delpit was my preseason crush and saw him as topt 5 but I too cooled to him real early. My gut is he goes around 15 or later.

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Brugler really pushing Wills.   I am likely going to the Alabama-Michigan game so I will pay attention to him. 

I like Wills a lot too, but I think Brugler is too high on him in the moment.  I recognize that emotion, when you've been watching a player who has been playing really well and he genuinely excites you.  But I think he's overlooking the difference in movement skills between Wills and Thomas/Wirfs.  It's an important and meaningful difference between the players.  He's failing to maintain proper perspective IMO.

14 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Due to many teams needs I could easily see three OL off the board before three WR's. I would def hold off on taking a WR and hope to land a OL and DB first.

Delpit was my preseason crush and saw him as topt 5 but I too cooled to him real early. My gut is he goes around 15 or later.

I am a pure BPA guy within reason.  So I am not looking at positions first but more about players.  Yet, I might make an exception for LT.  Your OL point is what's in that Breer article I posted.  Yeah agree there is a bigger demand for LT.  For me it depends on what else they do and how they evaluate the depth at both positions.  Typically the run happens earlier on tackle.  So intellectually I agree with your point.  But the emotion in me finds both Jeudy and Lamb very attractive.  I've seen them both play live.  I'll probably go see Jeudy again in this upcoming bowl game.  I think they are both going to be stars.  So if Kyle falls in love with either player and takes them and has a plan B at tackle -- no complaints from me.

I hope they do CB in FA.  Bryon Jones?  Dallas is supposedly going to let him go because of all the other contracts they got to deal with.  We might have 50 million or so in cap space and if they can't address a key need in FA then what's the point of building cap space?  That's how I look at it.

20 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I can easily see three OL in the top ten with Wirfs, Thomas and Willis. I can easily see 5-7 going in the first round with Biadesz, Austin Jackson and maybe Thockmorton sneaking in. WR IMO is crazy deep so I too would be ok holding off until the later rounds (4 on) grabbing one since we don't necessarily need one right now. 

Delpit had a meh year and as far as I'm concerned McKinney overtook him for top spot at safety.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll probably go see Jeudy again in this upcoming bowl game.  I think they are both going to be stars.  So if Kyle falls in love with either player and takes them and has a plan B at tackle -- no complaints from me.

I expect half of Alabama to sit out this game. With no Tua and no playoffs, it serves no purpose for guys like Najee Harris and Jeudy to play. It'll be telling whether or not Devonte Smith plays. If he does I expect him to return next year for his senior season. 

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I expect half of Alabama to sit out this game. With no Tua and no playoffs, it serves no purpose for guys like Najee Harris and Jeudy to play. It'll be telling whether or not Devonte Smith plays. If he does I expect him to return next year for his senior season. 

Jeudy already said he's playing.  He's the #1 guy I want to watch.  Hopefully Ruggs, D. Smith play too. 

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Breer's temperature taking on Jeudy is interesting.  Jeudy's Q-Rating was so high after last year and kind of took a beating this season.  He's the same player he always was.  I like that McShay is standing firm in his high evaluation of Jeudy because his is a tape-based take IMO.  Jeudy has traits that NFL teams value, and he fits the mold for us in particular because it seems like we place such a high emphasis on route-running.

I agree with you valuing CeeDee Lamb ahead of him.  Jeudy has more limitations than Lamb.  Jeudy is clearly the superior route runner.  His route tree is huge.  I don't think there is a single passing concept he didn't execute for Bama.  His bag of tricks is awesome, particularly for beating press coverage at the line.  His foot quickness and agility is truly special and he is a terrifying helter-skelter runner after the catch that just dead-legs dudes left and right.  This guy is going to be a good NFL player if he stays healthy and focused and he's a no-brainer top ten pick for me.  He could be monstrously productive for a spread-heavy team that airs it out.  Perfect fit for a dome team.  Truly, he's a great fit for any team because he can play every receiver alignment on the field and run any route tree.  He'll fill in the gaps no matter where he goes and he would certainly be a great fit in our passing game.

But he's also skinny and high cut.  Those two TD drops against LSU were a particularly ugly reminder that he's had a lot of concentration drops and that the hands aren't superlatively strong like you want to see from a top ten stud receiver.  He's not going to be useful on special teams and he gives you almost nothing as a blocker.  And even though he is a scary YAC threat because of his quickness, it's a finesse running style that doesn't have a lot of power and physicality in it.  These kinds of limitations matter when you are comparing him to an absolute monster like CeeDee Lamb and are trying to figure out which one to draft first.  Those are the kinds of reasons why I prefer Lamb.

But I definitely wouldn't fault a team that places primary emphasis on route running and positional versatility for grading Jeudy higher than Lamb, and I don't think we could go wrong with either of them.  Both have value in the top five and offer a much better fit for us than Derrick Brown does, for being in the same tier.  I think they might be better than Okudah too.  And as much as I love Isaiah Simmons, I think we'd get more out of Jeudy or Lamb because they're just easier to build a role for and we don't have the kind of money and resources tied up at WR that we do at safety and linebacker and edge rusher.

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Probably not the place for this, but I don't see WR as a need for us. Might be BPA, but I think the need baseline is too high for other positions, in a draft that you'll find talent in later rounds.

If you have a chance to take an elite talent at any position, and it doesn’t require trading up, you can’t pass that up. Imo there are only 2-3 elite level players: Chase Young, Jerry Jeudy, and Tua. Tua is only a question mark because of the injury. 

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

If you have a chance to take an elite talent at any position, and it doesn’t require trading up, you can’t pass that up. Imo there are only 2-3 elite level players: Chase Young, Jerry Jeudy, and Tua. Tua is only a question mark because of the injury. 

Simmons seems close. I get your point, but it doesn't even seem like Jeudy is the best in the draft.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Here's latest PFF breakdowns.  I know some in the media crowned Wes Martin for last Sunday, seems like PFF wasn't as impressed.

I think he was graded like a 45 prior to that game so that grade represents a significant improvement.  Small sample size theater though.

Our DL grades are pretty disappointing.  Something's clearly not right with Allen.  Collins's grade is disappointing too, he should be playing better.

Their cornerback grades represent an opportunity for our young guys to find some openings against man coverage.  We need to come out throwing.  Then again, they're probably thinking the same thing.

Every time I watch Alabama for one of their 47 day one and day two draft picks, Najee Harris is the one who jumps off the screen.  I absolutely love this kid.  I don't understand why everyone has apparently decided he's a third or fourth round pick.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I truly believe this kid is a stud and a first round talent.  He should be celebrated as one of the premier offensive skill players in the class.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But I definitely wouldn't fault a team that places primary emphasis on route running and positional versatility for grading Jeudy higher than Lamb, and I don't think we could go wrong with either of them.  Both have value in the top five and offer a much better fit for us than Derrick Brown does, for being in the same tier.  I think they might be better than Okudah too.  And as much as I love Isaiah Simmons, I think we'd get more out of Jeudy or Lamb because they're just easier to build a role for and we don't have the kind of money and resources tied up at WR that we do at safety and linebacker and edge rusher.

For me its hard for me get over players that are so explosive they just jump on screen.  

Not that I think it takes a lot of work to fall for Lamb and Jeudy.  They strike me as obvious stars.   And that's my point.  Like you, I like watching college football when I can and I have seen those two players so much over the last 2 seasons and I am so sold that I'd be jazzed to have either one.   Even though I'd rather go tackle everything being equal. 

Jeudy like you said is a crisp route runner.  Also I notice Alabama moves their receivers around.  Jeudy can play slot, X, etc.   Smart player.  Many say the # 1 ingredient for a receiver to translate from college to the pros is their route running.  So Jeudy might be the most pro ready from that perspective.   Jeudy is probably a little faster and smoother than Lamb.  

I like Lamb slightly over Jeudy mainly because of his hands.  He has incredible hands -- jump balls, contested balls, one hand catches, everything,   He's also electric in the open field.  He just looks like an incredible competitor who is determined to score on every play.  And he can block.   I see some compare Lamb to being more of a physical possession type like Higgins but I disagree with that.  I think the dude can do it all. 

They both remind me of Beckham in some ways because while neither are crazy fast, they both are great at cutting in open field -- loose hips where they can shift directions on a dime which help them both as far as getting open and juking past defenders for YAC.    They both also use their bodies well as to their head movements, lean their bodies to fool defenders where they feign left to go right, stutter step, change speeds when needed, etc. I think the combine will be interesting for both for different reasons. 

Ruggs and Higgins intrigue me too among others.  But I'd give Lamb and Jeudy a nod over them.   I admit I got to dive more into Higgins.  I've gone back and forth as to being jazzed about him when watching him in real time.  I like his hands but I haven't studied him, yet.  If I can get Ruggs in the late first or early 2nd  somehow (I doubt he goes later than that) I am intrigued. I am assuming D. Smith is going back to school.  

I get the enthusiasm some here have for our current receivers and the feeling that we are set.  Heck I might be the biggest cheerleader on the board for both Mclaurin and Harmon. So I get it.  Sims seems like a nice player but i am not so sure if he's a bonafide slot receiver.   And I like Harmon but I don't think he's as talented as Jeudy-Lamb.   I am with Cooley in that I think this team could use another marquee receiver.   I don't think it's nuts to add another dynamic receiver especially if they are star level game breakers. 

I am not arguing against drafting LT.  I am more than cool with it.  I get the idea in theory and agree with it in theory.  But if I was a scout in the Redskins draft room and Kyle said look I just love Lamb or Jeudy and he has some fantasy of adding another weapon for Haskins -- you won't see any crying from me about it even thought its not my #1 preference as to prioritizing positions.   I want to address LT.  But I don't hate the idea either of taking a WR because I think either player would make Haskins better.  So I got no beef with that.  I like some of what I've seen from Sims but he's not stopping me from taking one of these receivers. 

I also think both players are tone setter types that I think the offense would feed off of.  

43 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Every time I watch Alabama for one of their 47 day one and day two draft picks, Najee Harris is the one who jumps off the screen.  I absolutely love this kid.  I don't understand why everyone has apparently decided he's a third or fourth round pick.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I truly believe this kid is a stud and a first round talent.  He should be celebrated as one of the premier offensive skill players in the class.

He pops for me too.  To me he looks like a poor's man Derrius Guice.  He has a good stiff arm, feisty runner.  I say poor man's version not as a shot but because to me Guice is more explosive and even more physical but Harris plays in a similar manner IMO.   He has good balance, shifty, quick cuts.  I'd say what intrigues me the most about him is his hands.  He has good hands. so he's a complete back.  I haven't paid attention to his pass blocking but I'd presume Saban preaches that in all their RBs.   

47 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They said the same about Damien Harris and he dropped to the third and has played sparingly.

im honestly mode intrigued by Etienne and Dobbins.

Archived