Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Dodgers down 2-0 vs Braves.  Whilst the Braves are very well capable of blowing a 2-0 series lead and losing the series.  It really feels good thinking that we could have stolen Ruiz/Gray from the Dodgers and in return they may never win it all with Max/Trea.  Not that I want the Braves to win it all but two young star potential guys for the next bunch of years is great.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Nats completely fleeced LA with that trade. Got their best prospects for 2 guys that didn’t show up in the playoffs

Max had sub 2 ERA and went 7-0 after the trade and then gave up 4 runs across 16 2/3 innings in the playoffs.  Nats hopefully set themselves up well for the future with Gray and Ruiz, but you really can't ask for more from a mid season acquisition than Max.  Also another year of Turner.  The trade probably ends up being pretty close to a win win for the respective teams.

Edited by bearrock

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, mammajamma said:

just saw the new coaching staff, and found it very strange that the only coach we kept was for the position we were worst at the past 2 seasons (pitching)

Jim Hickey didn't coach this team in 2020, Paul Menhardt did. And I want to see what Hickey does this year--Gray's development is paramount. He showed flashes and had more good than bad, and his last 3 starts were very encouraging. I'm hoping Corbin's last month was a sign of him correcting whatever the issue was. I'll miss Long, badly. He was a real loss. The others are meh--although Young is intriguing. If Darnell Coles can get Robles hitting, he'll be a manager somewhere right quick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm hoping Ryan Zimmerman takes his place--he is awesome and highly entertaining!

That is a really interesting thought.  He's a walking Nats institution.  And he's got some of the same sense of humor that F.P. does, though it's drier and more subtle.  

That could work.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Jim Hickey didn't coach this team in 2020, Paul Menhardt did. And I want to see what Hickey does this year--Gray's development is paramount. He showed flashes and had more good than bad, and his last 3 starts were very encouraging. I'm hoping Corbin's last month was a sign of him correcting whatever the issue was. I'll miss Long, badly. He was a real loss. The others are meh--although Young is intriguing. If Darnell Coles can get Robles hitting, he'll be a manager somewhere right quick.

fair enough. i forgot about menhardt (i think im in the minority that liked him more Hickey, but a nearly perfect playoffs/WS from the mound vs. whatever we saw this past year will do that)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Sucks about FP. Also read that Carpenter only has 2 years left on his contract. Could definitely see him retiring when that expires, if not some time before.

I don't like change...

i liked their easy rapport and that they were entertaining beyond just calling the game, with Carp as the straight man and FP the jokester.  So that’s a change I’m not in favor of.