Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

25 years old, has played in 82 big league games over the last 3 seasons. Career .172 hitter and most of that was from 2019. Occupies the roll of “a warm body” for the Nats the rest of the year. 

His OPS+ of 13 for 2021 doesn’t excite you?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Can't wait to see tonight's lineup...

Should be fun/interesting.

this is pretty much how im taking it going forward. going to miss having the 2nd best SS in the league and a HOF pitcher every 4th-5th game, but we have been bad all season (except for one month) WITH those guys, and same for all of last season. so if we're going to suck, might as well be unpredictable and see what our unknowns can do

On 7/17/2021 at 10:18 AM, mammajamma said:

Nobody wants to trade Max. He's pretty much the last reliable pitcher we have left. But if they don't get back some injured players and start winning in the next week, it's inevitable. There's a 0% chance we re-sign him with Soto/Trea contracts coming up

On 7/17/2021 at 11:28 AM, Riggo#44 said:

0% chance they trade him, believing otherwise is ignoring the multiple times Rizzo and Scherzer have said it's not happening. Resigning Max will bring more value than the lottery ticket prospects we get back. Soto isn't a FA until 2025, when Max will be 41 and his contract likely will be up. I don't see them signing him past 40.

guess my "0%" was 100% more right  @Riggo#44  :):)

1 hour ago, mammajamma said:

pretty fitting that we're playing the cubs tonight. theyre selling off all their main guys that finally got them their WS too

52 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Can't wait to see tonight's lineup...

Should be fun/interesting.

The Iowa Cubs at the Rochester Red Wings...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Eh.  If you think handcuffs were why Rizzo didn’t re-sign Harper don’t you think that was a good thing?

Unless handcuffs were why Rizzo felt the need to trade an up and coming arm for affordable controllable outfielder instead of getting one via free agency.

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Unless handcuffs were why Rizzo felt the need to trade an up and coming arm for affordable controllable outfielder instead of getting one via free agency.

Talking about Eaton? Who would you have signed? Do you think it would have been smarter to give Cespedes 100M+.  So we’d have five 9 figure contracts prior to the Harper/Rendon FA.

11 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Talking about Eaton? Who would you have signed? Do you think it would have been smarter to give Cespedes 100M+.  So we’d have five 9 figure contracts prior to the Harper/Rendon FA.

Eaton provided around 2 war when he was healthy for the Nats.  Why on earth would you need to pay 100M+ to replace that production?  You can fill that role with a 2-3 year deal for a proven veteran costing 10-15 mil per year max.

13 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Eaton provided around 2 war when he was healthy for the Nats.  Why on earth would you need to pay 100M+ to replace that production?  You can fill that role with a 2-3 year deal for a proven veteran costing 10-15 mil per year max.

Who?

Maybe the Orioles and Nationals can somehow merge and form the Baltimore-Washington Internationals.  Split the home games between Nats Park and Camden.  Should be able to afford at least a $200 million payroll.  Their mascot can be an airport baggage handler. 

• Haha 2

This is why I love Mike Rizzo. We've had other GMs in town foolishly think the team is close and chase mediocrity instead of realizing its time to hit the reset button. Imagine if Bruce Allen or Ernie Grunfeld were running this team. Rizzo nuked the roster a year early to get the process going. Think with your head, not with your heart. That's why he's one of the best GMs in baseball.

We'll suck for the remainder of this year and probably for all of next year, but I expect us to contend again in 2023.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Who?

There's plenty of veteran outfielders every year for relatively short contracts (e.g. Schwarber).  In 2017, Lorenzo Cain signed for 4/70mil.  Michael Brantley signed this year for 2/32.  That's preferable to trading your best young arm for Eaton.  Provided you have money to spend in your budget.

Edited by bearrock

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Well, Adam Eaton was a huge part of our WS win so I don’t see how that is relevant.

What Adam Eaton gives you, one can get for relatively affordable price on the free agent market.  What Giolito gives you costs you an arm and a leg.  Are you seriously saying that Giolito for Eaton was a good trade?  

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

What Adam Eaton gives you, one can get for relatively affordable price on the free agent market.  What Giolito gives you costs you an arm and a leg.  Are you seriously saying that Giolito for Eaton was a good trade?  

At the time Giolito was not pitching well. He was actually one of if not the worst rated starting Ps in baseball. Eaton was instrumental in us winning a world championship.

Player for player no, we did not win the trade. But you don't make trades to win player for player trades, you make trades to help you build a team that can ultimately win a World Series. By that metric, we won the trade.

Would keeping Giolito have resulted in a World Series? We don't know. But what we do know is that Eaton helped us win one. And at the end of the day you play to win championships.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

At the time Giolito was not pitching well. He was actually one of if not the worst rated starting Ps in baseball. Eaton was instrumental in us winning a world championship.

Player for player no, we did not win the trade. But you don't make trades to win player for player trades, you make trades to help you build a team that can ultimately win a World Series. By that metric, we won the trade.

Would keeping Giolito have resulted in a World Series? We don't know. But what we do know is that Eaton helped us win one. And at the end of the day you play to win championships.

Okay.  If people want to say that Eaton for Giolito (who was anywhere from top 5 to top 25 best prospect in baseball that year and has now finished top 6 and 7 in Cy Young voting the last two years) was a good trade, I really have nothing more to say.  I mean he just might have been a little helpful in 2019 with a near top five Cy Young year and freed up Corbin money in the process, but since I can't prove that such a team would still have won the WS, I guess people can rest easy knowing that we won that Eaton/Giolito trade.  

24 minutes ago, bearrock said:

There's plenty of veteran outfielders every year for relatively short contracts (e.g. Schwarber).  In 2017, Lorenzo Cain signed for 4/70mil.  Michael Brantley signed this year for 2/32.  That's preferable to trading your best young arm for Eaton.  Provided you have money to spend in your budget.

So you go above your 10-15M per year.  You also, at that time, give up your draft pick.  I know that was the Romero year, but still.  

Also, Cain was not from the Eaton trade year. Not sure why you have him as an example.  Did Brantley go to FA after 2016 or was he extended?  Bbref doesn’t indicate that he did, but maybe it’s incorrect/incomplete.

Edited by Ball Security

10 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Okay.  If people want to say that Eaton for Giolito (who was anywhere from top 5 to top 25 best prospect in baseball that year and has now finished top 6 and 7 in Cy Young voting the last two years) was a good trade, I really have nothing more to say.  I mean he just might have been a little helpful in 2019 with a near top five Cy Young year and freed up Corbin money in the process, but since I can't prove that such a team would still have won the WS, I guess people can rest easy knowing that we won that Eaton/Giolito trade.  

Wait, what indication did Giolito give off pre 2019 that would cause the team not to go after Corbin?  He had a negative WAR in 2018.  He was butt in his first full year.  No pitcher walked more batters or gave up more earned runs.

I’m sure CWS are happy with their sell off, they are entering their competitive years, but I’m sure the three teams that got rings from acquiring their guys are happy too.