Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

PleaseBlitz

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-who-are-the-high-major-coaches-who-dont-break-ncaa-rules/

Holy ****! Tony "Clean Program" Bennett FTW. 

and Beilien took his program to the final last year. Glad to see Mark Few on there. But I guess you don't stay at Gonzaga if you're gonna run dirty. Tom Izzo even more impressive if he is running clean. Lots of B10 schools on that list. 

Here's how you tell if a program is cheating: if they're routinely pulling in high lottery one and dones, they're cheating.  Period.  It's how recruiting those kids is done.

Duke is cheating

Kentucky is abso****inglutely cheating

LSU is cheating

Kansas is cheating

Oregon is cheating

Arizona is cheating

Washington is cheating

UCLA is cheating

UNC is cheating

Texas is cheating

Michigan State is cheating

Indiana is cheating

Duh.

13 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Enes Kanter was under investigation at the beginning of the season which is why Cal sat him.

As for the rest of your post I'll just point out that you didn't offer ANYTHING that might prove your accusations. Just conspiracy theories.

Maybe I missed it but what exaclty have you proven in regards to Duke?  Avenatti's tweets? lol

That said, it would be one of the least surprising news stories ever if it came out his tweet was correct and I absolutely believe there is even more shady stuff going on behind the scenes than just bogus "consulting fees".  The only thing I'd be interested in is exactly how much the high level coaches know as fact or if it's more of a case of them not wanting to know so they can claim ignorance.

I just find it comical that you don't think the exact same thing is happening at Kentucky if you believe it is happening at Duke.

17 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

You must have never seen Mark Turgeon coach. That guy recruits a good bit of talent and then doesn’t know what to do with it. 

I think all college coaches are bad. Have you ever seen Roy Williams coach? If they were any good at stuff like "ball movement," they would probably be in the NBA.

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

The NBA doesn't care about fundamentals. Big dunks, big blocks under the basket, and no defense. 

Fun fact: people who hate the NBA have not watched an NBA game since 1982 and think Kelly Tripuka is still playing.

18 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think all college coaches are bad. Have you ever seen Roy Williams coach? If they were any good at stuff like "ball movement," they would probably be in the NBA.

Fun fact: people who hate the NBA have not watched an NBA game since 1982 and think Kelly Tripuka is still playing.

The questions I have about Few are basically, how is it exactly that little Gonzaga OWNS international recruiting? That just seems bizarre.

Izzo....man....he's had some hard-ass dudes play for him. Cleaves, Peterson, Randolph, Richardson, ****ing Draymond. Nothing shady with any of those cats? (Draymond is fascinating. He spent four years getting screamed at by Izzo for no benefits? Does that seem like him?)

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Oh, I think Williams is a terrible in game coach. He runs a system that takes advantage of the fact he will get superior athletes and basketball players. And in most cases, the guys are more skilled athletically than basketball skilled. And so he hopes that he can just run a team off the floor because they can’t keep up for 40 minutes. If it’s a close game late, he doesn’t know what to do. He just hopes his players will make a play. Overall, his coaching isn’t that good. And I agree that’s a lot of coaches in college. 

But if you look at some of these coaches who are able to get more from less, it’s the coaching and teaching they do that make their teams successful. I always thought that of a guy like Izzo. I used to think that about coach K, but as we’ve mentioned in this thread previously, he’s kind of abandoned his system to cater to the 1 and done. 

I don’t disagree with your main point about recruiting and talent. If you don’t have talent, you aren’t going to win. But as a Maryland fan, trust me. There are coaches like Turgeon who get a tremendous amount of talent, then continually underperform with it. 

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

Maybe I missed it but what exaclty have you proven in regards to Duke?  Avenatti's tweets? lol

That said, it would be one of the least surprising news stories ever if it came out his tweet was correct and I absolutely believe there is even more shady stuff going on behind the scenes than just bogus "consulting fees".  The only thing I'd be interested in is exactly how much the high level coaches know as fact or if it's more of a case of them not wanting to know so they can claim ignorance.

I just find it comical that you don't think the exact same thing is happening at Kentucky if you believe it is happening at Duke.

Bear in mind the difference between the two programs at this point:

1) UK...zero accusations against Cal at UK. Lots of "oh we know he's dirty because he's dirty." 

2) Duke...actual accusations from an attorney known for having what hecsays he has.

19 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Oh, I think Williams is a terrible in game coach. He runs a system that takes advantage of the fact he will get superior athletes and basketball players. And in most cases, the guys are more skilled athletically than basketball skilled. And so he hopes that he can just run a team off the floor because they can’t keep up for 40 minutes. If it’s a close game late, he doesn’t know what to do. He just hopes his players will make a play. Overall, his coaching isn’t that good. And I agree that’s a lot of coaches in college. 

But if you look at some of these coaches who are able to get more from less, it’s the coaching and teaching they do that make their teams successful. I always thought that of a guy like Izzo. I used to think that about coach K, but as we’ve mentioned in this thread previously, he’s kind of abandoned his system to cater to the 1 and done. 

I don’t disagree with your main point about recruiting and talent. If you don’t have talent, you aren’t going to win. But as a Maryland fan, trust me. There are coaches like Turgeon who get a tremendous amount of talent, then continually underperform with it. 

I think this goes both ways. There are college coaches who can coach, but are often so married to their "systems" that they can't adjust.

I actually think what made Coach K great for a long time was the fact that we was adaptable. They played very differently as they evolved from Ferry to Laetnner to Hill to Jay Williams. The last ten years or so, I think he just rolls out the ball.

Someone like Boheim? You will learn the fundamentals. But **** you, you will play a zone regardless of our talent and/or opponent.

The last half of Bobby Knight's career was so painful in part because he was going to run that "revolutionary" 1970s motion offense come hell or high water.

But you can do this with little accountability. Once you reach a certain level, you will always be able to recruit juuuusssstttt enough to stay somewhat relevant and at that point, your 30 year allies in the alumni groups and athletic office will protect the brand.

PS

Part of me thinks the only person in D 1 NOT cheating is Calipari.

21 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think this goes both ways. There are college coaches who can coach, but are often so married to their "systems" that they can't adjust.

I actually think what made Coach K great for a long time was the fact that we was adaptable. They played very differently as they evolved from Ferry to Laetnner to Hill to Jay Williams. The last ten years or so, I think he just rolls out the ball.

Someone like Boheim? You will learn the fundamentals. But **** you, you will play a zone regardless of our talent and/or opponent.

The last half of Bobby Knight's career was so painful in part because he was going to run that "revolutionary" 1970s motion offense come hell or high water.

But you can do this with little accountability. Once you reach a certain level, you will always be able to recruit juuuusssstttt enough to stay somewhat relevant and at that point, your 30 year allies in the alumni groups and athletic office will protect the brand.

PS

Part of me thinks the only person in D 1 NOT cheating is Calipari.

K is also getting old. There's definitely a shelf life to coaches. I think part of embracing one and dones is that he is not sure goes long he will stay. Lots of distractions too. Health, USA basketball, etc. He's delegating a lot to his a assistants.

I like that Tre Jones is returning to school. He is not ready. 

Zion obviously declaring as are Reddish and Barrett. 

Seeing the NHL draft lottery yesterday gave me hope that someone in the 6th or 7th position like the Wizards can sneak into the top 3. Can you imagine the Wizards with RJ Barrett as Wall rehabs? 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived