Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No More Starters in Preseason???

Renegade7

Should Redskins stop playing starters in Preseason going forward?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should Redskins stop playing their starters in Preseason going forward???

• Yes
    • No
    • IDK yet, but what happened to Guice is BS!!!

10 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

You're being ridiculous is what you are being.

Do you hear yourself? Cancel preseason? Shrink it? :ols:

What if Guice got hurt in training camp? Should the Redskins cancel training camp? What if he got hurt in the weight room? Should they remove it from Redskins park? 

Your reasoning is nonsense and only deserves jokes. And yes, Guice could get hurt going out for a pizza. All he has to do is get in a car, there's a traffic accident. The boom. He's hurt.

Players can get hurt anywhere at anytime. You can't cancel all offseason work and you can't wrap the players in bubble wrap.

The fact that fans here are now claiming wanting that when they carried on for four years about how Coach Gruden kept losing the first game of the season because he didn't have the players ready because he wasn't playing them enough in the preseason is what is staggering to me.

Very quick about face. :)

You aren't listening to me at all, you are hopeless.  I never said get rid of preseason or offseason workouts. Re-read what I posted and stop comparing me to other posters, putting words in my mouth.  I've made some pretty specific points that you refuse to touch.

A players odds of getting injured in a preseason game are higher then getting a pizza, stop trying to be comedian for two seconds, NFL has seriously considered and probably still considering shrinking presason down to two games.  Only reason you think I'm overreacting is the timing of the thread.

Show me where I said I wanted starters to play more in preseason versus shrinking it. I'll wait.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You aren't listening to me at all, you are hopeless.  I never said get rid of preseason or offseason workouts. Re-read what I posted and stop comparing me to other posters, putting words in my mouth.  

A players odds of getting injured in a preseason game are higher then getting a pizza, stop trying to be comedian for two seconds, NFL has seriously considered and probably still considering shrinking presason down to two games.  Only reason you think I'm overreacting is the timing of the thread.

Show me where I said I wanted starters to play more in preseason versus shrinking it. I'll wait.

Yeah, right like I am going to go through all your posting history? :ols: I got better things to do.

Besides, I am not referring just to you. Don't be so egotistical. :ols: I'm talking about the board in general.

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Whats the difference if he gets hurt now or in game 2 of the regular season, people act as if you make it to the regular season you're safe.  Most likely these injuries were a ticking time bomb waiting to happen.  The data on Guice's knee is out there, we're probably gonna find out he should have had some work done after the injury at LSU.

It's a freak incident and putting him in a safe space for the entire preseason doesn't sound like the answer.

Can't possibly like this enough. 

Exactly!!! 

7 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Can't possibly like this enough. 

Exactly!!! 

Yes.

I would also add that if the NFL had shrunk the preseason down to even one game, that wouldn't have helped Guice because he got hurt in the first preseason game.

So if they played just one this year, Guice would still be out. 

6 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yeah, right like I am going to go through all your posting history? :ols: I got better things to do.

Besides, I am not referring just to you. Don't be so egotistical. :ols: I'm talking about the board in general.

No, if your going to call me out and lump me in with other people's opinions you better have your facts straight.  Has nothing to do with ego, this discussion is being ruined by people insisting we have to do it this way, we dont.

Preseason used to be 6 games, now it's 4.  Yall really think this is about reps and rhythm, it's about money, has been from get go, and why some coaches request to have more joint practices instead have been ignored.

https://www.si.com/2013/08/22/preseason-history

By all means continue your parrot points, like everything stays the same forever or has to.

I am beyond disappointed with how simple some you are trying to keep this discussion, like it's just about Guice.  If you ever wonder why so many things are the way they are, it's because too many people are fine with it.  If Guice gets injured week 1 but does enough to help us win, that is not synonymous with losing him in a meaningless preseason game.

We could have nothing but walk through's in shorts and no pre season games but then players wouldn't  be even close to ready for the regular season and they'd be far more prone to injury to begin the season. 

We could have brutal training camps with nothing but padded full contact practices and four pre season games with 4 quarters of starters but we'd have far too many injuries and players wouldn't make it to the finish line. 

And then there's everything in between. 

Bottom line is teams wrestle with this dilemma every year and do there best to balance getting players ready for the season while also protecting them. 

Its a brutal full contact sport and unfortunately injuries are going to happen. 

This injury sucks but nobody is to blame despite how desperately we want someone or something to point the finger at. 

5 minutes ago, wysknz1 said:

And when they lose the first three games of the season because they aren't game ready you will be screaming for coaches head on a platter.

Coach needs to coach the players that are available to play. If you aren't available, you wait your turn.

I did vote yes, although Injuries will still happen in practice or the weight room even if the starters don't play preseason. But I like the idea of only having two preseason games, if it means we get 18 regular season games.

What did the third option mean (I'd yet?)

37 minutes ago, redskinss said:

We could have nothing but walk through's in shorts and no pre season games but then players wouldn't  be even close to ready for the regular season and they'd be far more prone to injury to begin the season. 

That's not what this thread is about, please stop being dramatic and changing the subject.  

The thread is about the starters playing in the preseason.  I don't believe they need to, a lot of them say tell same thing.  Guice was the last straw for me, even if it was freak accident. That freak injury could been his neck, so a game that doesn't count, yes, no mas. 

What would be cool is every team we play in the preseason, the starters scrimmage each other and the backups play each other.  Sometimes they wear pads, but id still hold guys like CT out of that, no pads scrimmage for him. We should just start offering that and see who takes us on it.  

Every game you play is a higher risk of freak accident that changes your season.  Players know this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/08/nfl-los-angeles-rams-todd-gurley-preseason-training-camp-games/amp/

Coaches say across the board it's harder to develop players because you have less time with them.  Even without Guice we have depth at RB we need to see, WR, whoa, I don't need to see Doctson right now.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/30/nfl-offseason-player-programs-coaches-changes

By keeping camp shorter, coaches have to put starters out in preseason to get them more reps.  It's law of averages, Alex is 34, how many times you want to see him getting hit for no reason? Is it worth it? Does he really need the reps in an actual preseason game? I will gladly sacrifice about a game of gameplay reps in preseason to get better chance he stays healthy for 16 or more, that's what this really boils down to.

While last year was definitely odd and the level of injuries (both in volume and severity) were pretty unique to the skins, that was kind of a one-year thing. The only other season I remember like that was 1992. 

So far we’ve had one signficant injury loss through camp and 1 pre season game. That is not out of the norm at all. As a matter of fact we are far from the first team this year to lose a starter. Our week one opponent lost their starting center last week with an ACL tear. 

It’s football. Guice is a rookie. It wouldn’t make much sense for his first contact in his nfl career income in week one. Coaches gotta find out what they have. 

And is it just starters? The team rolls deeper than that. Lots

of other guys play important roles too. So do you just sit your entire projected 53 man roster? How do you decide camp battles or roles? The Redskins do it right. The very best vets will only get a minimal amount of work, but it’s football and they do NEED to work. 

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

It’s football. Guice is a rookie. It wouldn’t make much sense for his first contact in his nfl career income in week one. Coaches gotta find out what they have. 

As much as Jay and others have been raving about this guy, you sure about that?   

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

And is it just starters? The team rolls deeper than that.

At minimum the starters, no need to get carried away here.  This will help with player development as well, whole league is going backwards on this because of less reps and exposure for the bottom of the roster who could end up being starters.

29 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Minimal playing time probably wins out. 

You're probably right that i won't win this one, not a position to be taken lightly.

When I hear approval for 3 or 2 games, does that mean starters play more? Teams would adjust, but to me it sounds like the coaches would rather not take even more development time for their non-starters that could be starters. They could get hurt in padded joint scrimmages, but chances lower, I feel that's a fair middle ground for starters. 

This is bigger then Guice. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You're probably right that i won't win this one, not a position to be taken lightly.

When I hear approval for 3 or 2 games, does that mean starters play more? Teams would adjust, but to me it sounds like the coaches would rather not take even more development time for their non-starters that could be starters. They could get hurt in padded joint scrimmages, but chances lower, I feel that's a fair middle ground for starters. 

This is bigger then Guice. 

I think they're going to get hurt anyway you slice it.  It's football. They've got to block and tackle so they're will be injuries.  From a coaching responsibility, you've got to gauge the degree of preparation needed from all angles. Definitely one answer here dominates, I think it's 'Playing Football not to get injured' doesn't exist.  You play or you don't.  If you play scared of getting hurt, shouldn't be playing.  Not really much of a debate.  It's a balance of the intangibles. 

36 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

.  If you play scared of getting hurt, shouldn't be playing.  Not really much of a debate.  It's a balance of the intangibles. 

The way most of their contracts are structured...  this doesnt have to be boiled down to playing scared, thats not what this is, it's about preserving and protecting players you need and more resources to developing depth knowing your starters could get injured no matter what. 

Players and coaches are giving different ways to address this issue because they want something different.  Problem right now is players agree with coaches TC should be longer with more padded practices, but don't want coaches to abuse it again.  Even Goddell wants changes.

I'm going out on limb with links to support what players and coaches asking for.  I'm open to links that refute what I or they said.  Tomlin and Caldwell takes on this are opposites that both want longer camp.

Without longer camp, I'd have to dig to see how much preseason really helps us, how much of a disadvantage it actually is what I proposed in OP. I probably shoulda started with that, now that I think about it.

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Tell me, what significance does a total score have, from a preseason game ?

I agree final score doesn't matter, but what takes to get there is situational football.  That matters for players that haven't been in those situations.

Preseason football sucks.  It’s something for children to watch to get excited about the game.  It’s so meaningless that I don’t even bother watching any more except for the first half of game 3.

Call it 2 games and stop injuring our prospects for nothing.  That’s plenty of time to get game ready.

Archived