Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well that took an Alabama roll.  Good Lord what was that an extra 20 yards?  Down on the one?

About the only thing that's gone right for them tonight.

Strong BPA candidate for us at 15.  Chance to go top ten with Ferrell.

Dexter Lawrence cost himself a ton of money.  Real chance he falls out of the first round.  He could have used these last two games to showcase his talent.

Austin Bryant is kind of the forgotten man of that group, but he is a really nice player.  Day two pick IMO.

I’m not so sure Dexter will fall far. His is a great kid, and he and the other two supposedly had no idea that there was a controlled substance in something they tried. My daughter tutored one of the other two, reserve Olineman, and she said is was so nice, and a straight arrow. He is getting married to his longtime girlfriend, and was talking with my daughter about losing weight in a safe, natural way. 

Guys just made made a dumb mistake, and there was only trace amounts found. I think the NFL guys will do their due diligence, and Lawrence will go top 20.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I could listen to Dabo all day.  Legend.  If you're a top high school football player, how on God's Green Earth could you ever want to play for anyone else?

Yeah if I have a choose between getting rage screamed at by Saban every time I make a mistake or having someone that is fun and genuinely seems to care about me in Dabo, I know where I’m going. 

2 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I’m not so sure Dexter will fall far. His is a great kid, and he and the other two supposedly had no idea that there was a controlled substance in something they tried. My daughter tutored one of the other two, reserve Olineman, and she said is was so nice, and a straight arrow. He is getting married to his longtime girlfriend, and was talking with my daughter about losing weight in a safe, natural way.  

Guys just made made a dumb mistake, and there was only trace amounts found. I think the NFL guys will do their due diligence, and Lawrence will go top 20. 

I don't think the issue was so much the substance ban as losing the opportunity to show out on a big stage.  This is a crowded DL class and these two games were a golden chance for Lawrence to distinguish himself.  His chance to pull a DaRon Payne.

Did he just channel Suge Knight at the source awards with that recruiting pitch haha 

3 minutes ago, clietas said:

Prolly getting closer ta the time Saban gets forced out for Dabos glorious return home. 🤔

I like that narrative but I don’t know why Dabo would leave anytime soon. He’s already built Bama east and he doesn’t have to go thru LSU, Auburn, GA etc each year 

16 minutes ago, China said:

So Alabama gave up 78 points in their last two games.  What happened to the vaunted Alabama defense?

As great and as loaded with talent as those defenses were, they also benefited greatly from the terrible QB play that was so prevalent in the SEC. once the spread offenses got there or when they played great QBs more consistently like Cam and Manziel and GA, OSU and Clemson etc, they started giving up more points like other teams. 

They feast on a lot of **** SEC offenses 

43 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I could watch Alabama lose all day.

If and when Alabama goes through a down period, I will go out of my way to watch their games just to savor that small window of failure. 

Not sure if they'll really have a down period (by conventional standards) on account of them being recruiting fiends. Have they had a class ranked lower than third in the past 5-6 seasons?

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

As great and as loaded with talent as those defenses were, they also benefited greatly from the terrible QB play that was so prevalent in the SEC. once the spread offenses got there or when they played great QBs more consistently like Cam and Manziel and GA, OSU and Clemson etc, they started giving up more points like other teams. 

Georgia gave them problems too. OSU, Clemson and Georgia relatively speaking match them athlete to athlete and it's almost as if they can't come to terms with it. This showed up in some of the plays they called tonight too.

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Being nice guys doesn't mean much in this case. They are told not to just try things since they know the policy. They got busted for taking steroids. That's it. I doubt it impacts Lawrence much but the "I didn't know what was in it" won't fly in the NFL either. 

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Not sure if they'll really have a down period (by conventional standards) on account of them being recruiting fiends. Have they had a class ranked lower than third in the past 5-6 seasons?

They missed out on bowls in 2000, 2002 and 2003, so it at least has happened this century. lol

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

In the previous three seasons, they had two #1 ranked defenses and a #2.  This is well after Cam and Manziel came to town.  I also don't think the level of offense in the SEC is any worse than in other conferences.  The SEC has been loaded with blue chippers on that side of the ball for a while, it's not 2004 any more.  And I have seen plenty of god awful Big 10 and ACC offense to know that it's everywhere.

I think the explanation is simpler: they had a degradation of talent and a change of offensive philosophy that puts more stress on their D.  Falling off from a level that is basically the greatest three year run in the history of the sport isn't hard to do.  Lots of losses to the NFL.  Lot of all timers come through their doors that not even they can easily replace.  I think you can see that this year's group just wasn't as loaded as in the past.  They weren't as good and talented as Kentucky's and LSU's and Mississippi State's and Georgia's defenses.  They didn't even have as much NFL-bound defensive talent as Notre Dame, much less Clemson and Michigan.  Their dominance had become all about their offensive talent and execution.  Major shift from the way they used to recruit and play.  They're not Oklahoma, but they're becoming unbalanced.  And beatable as a result.

Some here are really reaching on the Saban hate.  He’s a old school coach about discipline.  That’s his style and you know he’s gonna push you to see your potential and if you don’t he’ll find someone at your position who will.   I don’t think he’s particularly bad in his interviews or carries himself badly.  

5 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Some here are really reaching on the Saban hate.  He’s a old school coach about discipline.  That’s his style and you know he’s gonna push you to see your potential and if you don’t he’ll find someone at your position who will.   I don’t think he’s particularly bad in his interviews or carries himself badly.  

Correct. Not all kids/recruits are wired the same way. 

7 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Correct. Not all kids/recruits are wired the same way. 

It’s ironic because people here constantly complaining that we have no discipline/lack of accountability  yet those same ones will criticize a coach that lives and breathes it.  There’s something to be said for how well Bama players transition to the nfl.  Because Saban teaches you to keep your head down and play football. There’s a reason he saves other coach’s careers.  If you show you can really coach and you are focused on football you’ll be on his staff. Guaranteed then you’ll get another HC shot because of the Saban stamp of approval.

4 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

It’s ironic because people here constantly complaining that we have no discipline/lack of accountability  yet those same ones will criticize a coach that lives and breathes it.  There’s something to be said for how well Bama players transition to the nfl.  Because Saban teaches you to keep your head down and play football. There’s a reason he saves other coach’s careers.  If you show you can really coach and you are focused on football you’ll be on his staff. Guaranteed then you’ll get another HC shot because of the Saban stamp of approval.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat. 

People fixate that Dabo is "fun" but even the announcers were quick to say "He's fun but also demanding". The reports of Saban's demise are greatly exaggerated. They've both built consistent championship-caliber teams through culture. 

The Redskins perpetually underachieve because the culture of the franchise is what it is. It's designed to extract the most amount of money from suckers fans and play football on the side. 

Archived