Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 ES GMs Mock Draft is complete!

Epochalypse

7 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I think we as a group should collectively make the pick for the Bucs

Come on man. 

You've been doing this long enough to know how we roll. 

He'll just be skipped per pick but has the opportunity to jump back in at any time. 

5 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Oh i know, but this isn't a mock draft, this then becomes a fantasy draft. Isn't the goal to be as realistic as possible. I think they have been less than 3 skips in the entire life of the draft.

There were actually 9 alone last year. Although two got their pick in before they actually got skipped down to the next GM not being on and them returning. 

Hail. 

Well, while we're waiting, I might toss out a question to the gang. 

Only as it pertains to the future and future mock drafts, not this year (of course), but what would everyone think of if we scheduled out each and every pick? 

So that before the mock draft even started, one would know that on the 14th of April, at 8pm EST (for example), they'd be on the clock?

All GMs could place each and every pick onto their calendar, go about their business, but know beforehand, that come next Thursday, at 8AM (for example), they would have a scheduled appointment ... namely their draft pick, which they would need to fulfill. 

I've worked on the details of how to time it. I could get into that in later posts.

As it stands now we have a 24 hour revolving draft, which of course inherently means no one knows exactly when they'll come on the clock, everyone need to constantly check back in, see the pace, guesstimate based upon the maximum allowable time per pick, and lastly, be within arms reach of their notifications. 

Scheduling before the fact has its drawbacks too, but there is something to be said about knowing that you'll be on the clock, no matter what, come a specific time. 

Just now, Monk4thaHALL said:

Well, while we're waiting, I might toss out a question to the gang. 

Only as it pertains to the future and future mock drafts, not this year (of course), but what would everyone think of if we scheduled out each and every pick? 

So that before the mock draft even started, one would know that on the 14th of April, at 8pm EST (for example), they'd be on the clock?

All GMs could place each and every pick onto their calendar, go about their business, but know beforehand, that come next Thursday, at 8AM (for example), they would have a scheduled appointment ... namely their draft pick, which they would need to fulfill. 

I've worked on the details of how to time it. I could get into that in later posts.

As it stands now we have a 24 hour revolving draft, which of course inherently means no one knows exactly when they'll come on the clock, everyone need to constantly check back in, see the pace, guesstimate based upon the maximum allowable time per pick, and lastly, be within arms reach of their notifications. 

Scheduling before the fact has its drawbacks too, but there is something to be said about knowing that you'll be on the clock, no matter what, come a specific time. 

I think that would work but i think we would need to cut the draft back to 3-5 rounds then.  

9 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I think that would work but i think we would need to cut the draft back to 3-5 rounds then.  

No, I've worked it out. Still a full draft, full 7 rounds, but the "on the clock" period for each GM to log-in and make their selection decreases. 

IMO, as it stands now, 12 hours to make a pick is ridiculous. Especially for the 1st round where information on each potential 1st rounder is bundle-fulls. 

And further, when we get a skip scenario after a full 12, begs the question, why couldn't we limit our losses there? 

At that, 8 hours is plenty of time to make a pick. The issue is the revolving 24 hour clock, because inevitably someone is going to sleep for 8 hours right when they come on the clock, (or going to work). Which is why I propose in the "scheduled out" mock draft that we take a break between the hours of 12 midnight and 8 AM ... EST, on each day. 

Of course the Euros and internationals would need to set their time pieces in accordance to New York EST time and perhaps find themselves in the hours past midnight, but ... what can you do.

10 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

No, I've worked it out. Still a full draft, full 7 rounds, but the "on the clock" period for each GM to log-in and make their selection decreases. 

IMO, as it stands now, 12 hours to make a pick is ridiculous. Especially for the 1st round where information on each potential 1st rounder is bundle-fulls. 

And further, when we get a skip scenario after a full 12, begs the question, why couldn't we limit our losses there? 

At that, 8 hours is plenty of time to make a pick. The issue is the revolving 24 hour clock, because inevitably someone is going to sleep for 8 hours right when they come on the clock, (or going to work). Which is why I propose in the "scheduled out" mock draft that we take a break between the hours of 12 midnight and 8 AM ... EST, on each day. 

Of course the Euros and internationals would need to set their time pieces in accordance to New York EST time and perhaps find themselves in the hours past midnight, but ... what can you do.

I've participated in drafts run that way and they have their pros and cons.

The biggest cons I've seen are you can skip through quite a few picks really easy and it happens quite often.

Other issue is with trades.  1st round is longer not because they shouldn't know who these players are, but rather because they are the ones most likely to be traded up for.  Requires a significant amount of trade capital and therefore a significant amount of bartering.

But I've also seen them work well, so I'm certainly open to having the discussion.  I'd lean towards keeping it the same though.

Archived