Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How a new GM could still save the Redskins

Tsailand

If I was GM:

1.  Sign Kirk to franchise tag.  Shop him to see if a QB needy team will offer us anything in return in order to avoid a public bidding war.  If they do, take it and start Alex Smith for the next few years while adding a RB and defensive line talent.

2.  If no one bites, trade Alex Smith and his new contract to a QB needy team like the Browns or Jets in exchange for most amount of draft picks you can.  Use these picks (if high enough), and the first rounder you have, to trade up and secure one of the top QB's in the draft.  Let Cousins play out one more year on the franchise tag and let your new QB learn behind him.  Spend remaining picks on RB and defensive line talent.

3.  Fire Tony Wyllie.  Celebrate by going bowling with Dan and letting him win.  Coors Lights all around.

8 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I just turned 50. Liz and Salma would still do it for me. 

I just turned 37, and they still do it for me.

In fact, I'm pretty sure after looking at those they would have done it for me at 17 too.

While these ladies are well off topic, they sure do help to soothe the soul during a sad offseason.

23 hours ago, Tsailand said:

4. The new GM will also have final control over coaching staff starting in 2020.  So he can't fire Gruden right away, but he alone will decide if Gruden gets extended again when the time comes.

:rofl89:

You have this intensely planned out best-case scenario fantasyland alternate reality dreamworld. And then you include this bit, for some reason. Idk why, it just cracks me up. Probably because  in your perfect future where everything is going to be okay, Gruden is still our best hope at greatness somehow, AND you don't think putting this stipulation into a prospective GM's contract would kill the whole thing. High comedy all around

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You have this intensely planned out best-case scenario fantasyland alternate reality dreamworld. And then you include this bit, for some reason. Idk why, it just cracks me up. Probably because  in your perfect future where everything is going to be okay, Gruden is still our best hope at greatness somehow, AND you don't think putting this stipulation into a prospective GM's contract would kill the whole thing. High comedy all around

OK, fair point.  What I'm getting at is, when you go shopping for a real GM, you look for one who isn't going to immediately blow up the team and start again from zero.  Someone who understands that team money is better spent on analytics and more scouts and better facilities, rather than once again paying two sets of coaches at the same times (the fired ones and the new ones) while everything else is done on the cheap.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Hi. I feel like you may have taken some artistic liscense with the meaning of the word possible. :)

I'm not suggesting something fantastic like the Pats trading us Brady, or Doctson suddenly becoming a Pro Bowler. 

All I'm asking is for Snyder to fire the GM who has been a bad GM with us for eight years. And then to hire the most talented prospective GM available.  Other owners do the same every year.  Sometimes it works, sometimes they get the decision wrong and the team continues to suck with the new GM.  But at least the owner tried.  Time for Snyder to try also.

If Snyder does that, we get two immediate benefits besides the obvious upgrade at the GM position: (1) We can abandon the Alex Smith trade without losing credibility and (2) Kirk will likely take us seriously as a possible long term destination.  He might still go elsewhere, but at least the new GM will have a chance.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:09 PM, Boss_Hogg said:

Bruce isn't going anywhere. 

Not when there's a tax-payer funded stadium at stake in the old Commonwealth

Is that dumb arse the only one that can work a deal for a stadium??  I find that hard to believe. 

10 hours ago, Alexa said:

Is that dumb arse the only one that can work a deal for a stadium??  I find that hard to believe. 

Bruce is a politician and deal-maker who’s comfortable with Virginia legislators. His brother Mr. Macaca was governor from 1994-98; plus Bruce can work a room like a true politician with small talk, lame jokes, baby kissing, and handshakes. 

Dan is the complete opposite of Bruce, he's an introvert, socially awkward, and prefers to stay in the shadows. 

Archived