Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread [SPOILERS ALLOWED!]

Riggo#44

In the Videos I posted they stated there was a third group that used the grey force. It stated that there was the grey that was needed. I will look for the poem that was in one of the Books that Luke had. I will edit it in when I get the details!

Journal of the Whills 7:477 stated "First comes the Day

Then comes the Night

After the Darkness

Shines through the Light

The difference they say

is only made right

By the Resolving of Gray

Through refined Jedi Sight."

13 minutes ago, Gallen5862 said:

In the Videos I posted they stated there was a third group that used the grey force. It stated that there was the grey that was needed. I will look for the poem that was in one of the Books that Luke had. I will edit it in when I get the details!

That's all theory though and doesn't relate to what was actually in the movies

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I still think there has been too much setup though to suggest Ren isn't just "random girl that's strong with the force"  when she grabbed Luke's light saber and got the visions seemed to be laying the groundwork that she was connected more directly somehow.  

You keep confusing me calling her Ren lol. 

But how many people have used that lightsaber with the force? It has significance. 

Maz says, "the force is calling to you, just let it in"

The specific lightsaber was only calling to her because of the strong force presence around it and it makes sense that when she touches it she gets the flashback of some of those moments. It makes more sense than it senses her bloodlines or something. 
-----

I guess i just dont understand why Rey has to be somebody. It's way too contrived for me to have some random kid yet again be a child of some master force user. 

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

I think Rey may in fact be a no one, and I say this because of the slave kid at the end using the force to grab the broom and sort of holding it like a lightsaber, looking up into space. I don't think there is going to be the all powerful "one" to save them all, but it will be the lowly people to rise up and hold the real power.

735 days until IX.

That is a great thought. I agree 100%

The movie was outstanding. I’m emotionally drained. 

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

I was disappointed no one got their hand chopped off.

I think Rey may in fact be a no one, and I say this because of the slave kid at the end using the force to grab the broom and sort of holding it like a lightsaber, looking up into space. I don't think there is going to be the all powerful "one" to save them all, but it will be the lowly people to rise up and hold the real power.

735 days until IX.

This is where I think it's headed too and I like it. I could see a time skip for episode 9 explaining away Leia's death and Rey and Kylo building up their powers for their inevitable showdown

One of the Books that Luke had!

Journal of the Whills 7:477 stated

"First comes the Day

Then comes the Night

After the Darkness

Shines through the Light

The difference they say

is only made right

By the Resolving of Gray

Through refined Jedi Sight."

Snoke said something similar. He said Darkness arises and light goes to meet it.

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I like the arc that the force itself is not something confined for just "jedi" * "sith"  it makes sense that if the force is out there holding the universe together, flowing through everything, that in turn everyone would have access to use it in varying degrees.

I still think there has been too much setup though to suggest Ren isn't just "random girl that's strong with the force"  when she grabbed Luke's light saber and got the visions seemed to be laying the groundwork that she was connected more directly somehow.  

Its never been confined to just Jedi or Sith. Those are orders. Ie groups of monks with a specific view. 

It has been confined to light and dark though. 

3 hours ago, TK said:

Doesn’t surprise me. 

On one hand, I feel a lot of people are really dumb and see that critics say the movie is good and therefore it’s good. 

Also, there are 2 questions: is it a good movie as compared to is it a good Star Wars movie. 

50 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That's all theory though and doesn't relate to what was actually in the movies

You keep confusing me calling her Ren lol. 

But how many people have used that lightsaber with the force? It has significance. 

Maz says, "the force is calling to you, just let it in"

The specific lightsaber was only calling to her because of the strong force presence around it and it makes sense that when she touches it she gets the flashback of some of those moments. It makes more sense than it senses her bloodlines or something. 
-----

I guess i just dont understand why Rey has to be somebody. It's way too contrived for me to have some random kid yet again be a child of some master force user. 

Because the episode movies are about the Skywalker family. Period. If she’s not a Skywalker that leaves Ben/Kylo as the hero. I know you don’t want the episode movies to have to be about the Skywalker’s, but they are. That’s a fact. 

2 minutes ago, codeorama said:

On one hand, I feel a lot of people are really dumb and see that critics say the movie is good and therefore it’s good. 

The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

4 minutes ago, codeorama said:

Because the episode movies are about the Skywalker family. Period. If she’s not a Skywalker that leaves Ben/Kylo as the hero. 

And that's why I was hoping for a double turn in Snoke's throne room. 

6 minutes ago, TK said:

The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

And that's why I was hoping for a double turn in Snoke's throne room. 

I have a hard time seeing Kylo turn good after killing Han. But I’m sure it could happen. I have an easier time seeing Rey actually being a Skywalker somehow. Saying her family was trailer trash could easily be a ploy to make her upset etc. Star Wars films have been known to misrepresent the truth when necessary 

10 minutes ago, codeorama said:

Doesn’t surprise me. 

Also, there are 2 questions: is it a good movie as compared to is it a good Star Wars movie. 

Because the episode movies are about the Skywalker family. Period. If she’s not a Skywalker that leaves Ben/Kylo as the hero. I know you don’t want the episode movies to have to be about the Skywalker’s, but they are. That’s a fact. 

Kylo Ren is a skywalker family member. It doesn't say the Skywalker's always the heros of the numbered titles. Anakin wasn't the hero of the prequels either. So technically it is still about the continuing battles of the skywalker bloodline. They even made a point that it was what Snoke saw in him that was special.

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Kylo Ren is a skywalker family member. It doesn't say he is the hero. Anakin wasn't the hero of the prequels either. So technically it is still about the continuing battles of the skywalker bloodline. They even made a point that it was what Snoke saw in him that was special.

Anakin was a hero in the end. 

This trilogy is supposed to be the last about the Skywalker’s.  I can’t see them ending on a villain. 

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Why would you want a movie series based on one single family that is always the hero? That becomes stale pretty quick.

It isn’t about what I want. That is what it is. I’m not making this up. We are talking about the end result. 

1 minute ago, codeorama said:

Anakin was a hero in the end. 

This trilogy is supposed to be the last about the Skywalker’s.  I can’t see them ending on a villain. 

Well technically Leia is still around so i assume she will die in 9 in the scroll and it will be the beginning of the movie. So that wuld be the final book on the actual Skywalker name with Kylo being the only remaining heir. 

If it ends with a hero, it doesn't really end. Who knows maybe Kylo has children. 

Just now, codeorama said:

It isn’t about what I want. That is what it is. I’m not making this up. 

But you are. Because every numbered episode has still been about a Skywalker family and their offspring and will continue to be in 9, even if one is a villain

If Rey ends up being a Skywalker, whether it being a sibling to Kylo Ren or the daughter of Luke. Just dumping her off on some planet to fend for herself, just makes either Han/Leia or Luke crappy parents. Your supposed to drop the unwanted child off at a fire station or something.

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

My theater had a totally different reaction FWIW. Long ovation at the end, plenty of laughs and WHOA WHAT THE **** reactions throughout. Laura Dern splitting that fleet apart was a big hit. It was a very good response overall, similar to TFA, maybe a bit more animated. 

That was such a cool scene. I loved that there was no music doing it. Just pure carnage. 

8 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Well technically Leia is still around so i assume she will die in 9 in the scroll and it will be the beginning of the movie. So that wuld be the final book on the actual Skywalker name with Kylo being the only remaining heir. 

If it ends with a hero, it doesn't really end. Who knows maybe Kylo has children. 

But you are. Because every numbered episode has still been about a Skywalker family and their offspring and will continue to be in 9, even if one is a villain

Im saying I cannot see Disney ending the Skywalker saga with the last Skywalker as a villain. 

23 minutes ago, codeorama said:

Doesn’t surprise me. 

One another hand, I feel a lot of people won't ever be happy with a movie cause it's not exactly what they wanted to have happen. Therefore the movie is really bad and must be analyzed to death. ;):cheers:

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

One another hand, I feel a lot of people won't ever be happy with a movie cause it's not exactly what they wanted to have happen. Therefore the movie is really bad and must be analyzed to death. ;):cheers:

I don't actually have an exact idea of what I want. I just know when I see something if its trash or not.

8 minutes ago, codeorama said:

I don't actually have an exact idea of what I want. I just know when I see something if its trash or not.

Trash to you. That's cool. For me, as I've gotten older, the music of star wars along with the characters I grew up with just gets to me so it may bias my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Don't you love the prequels? :cheers:

Wait, are you saying @codeoramaloves the prequels?? 

I can't type for **** today.

I laugh my ass off when I see people call the new trilogy worse than the prequels. I'm sorry if Disney isn't catering to everyone's personal canon, but in literally every single other aspect these films are leagues ahead of the garbage Star Wars products being put out in the early 00s. Kids these days are fortunate to have talented  directors and actors helming these films instead of an in over his head George Lucas. 

There's a good reason why critics love The Last Jedi and fans hate it, while the opposite is often true regarding the prequels; critics see hundreds of movies every year and process films in terms of how they fit into their chosen genre. The prequels may have offered detailed lore, but they were garbage action/adventure movies and got panned as a result. These new movies, while occasionally ridiculous and ill-advised, are fun and thoroughly competent. They also take great glee in killing characters and messing around with established lore for the sake of entertainment. Critics will not care, but fans will. And you see the gap. 

Personally, I love a handful of Star Wars films (you can guess which ones), but I am not particularly nostalgic for the OT as I only began to really engage with those films as an adult. So I'm coming at these films from the perspective that the established canon is not perfect and I WANT legitimate auteurs to do what they need to do in order to tell their story and make great action/adventure films. Whether or not they feel exactly like the OT, or even disrespects them outright, is immaterial. 

So when Kylo decided to off Snoke, was his end game assuming Rey would turn and join him as.....his apprentice? Or more-so alongside him to rule the galaxy?  How confident in this plan was he, especially once he learned that Snoke was manipulating them both the entire time that they felt they were having connections?

It seems kind of flimsy and happened too soon.

Archived