Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Unless something happens this year both Darnold and Rosen are almost guaranteed to both be top 5 picks with one of them being #1 overall. We're not a good team but I seriously doubt we'll be picking top 5.

I'm fine grabbing Allen closer to 10-12 if necessary. Has all the tools and makes more NFL throws than most of the prospects, even if his surrounding cast and decision making holds him back sometimes. Guy can sling it.

12 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Oh, so you missed today's game?

Don't get me wrong, we sucked. But IMO not bad enough to be a 1 to 3 win team which is what we'd probably have to be in order to get Rosen or Darnold. IMO we look more like a 5-6 win team. I suppose we could move up but that's going to cost a king's ransom.

19 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'm fine grabbing Allen closer to 10-12 if necessary. Has all the tools and makes more NFL throws than most of the prospects, even if his surrounding cast and decision making holds him back sometimes. Guy can sling it.

Allen definitely has a rocket launcher and makes some really nice throws. He also has good escapability and elusiveness for such a big dude. But yeah he also has some really boneheaded decision moments that gives me pause.

Let's do a prospect of the week every Monday to keep discussion in this thread going beyond Saturdays.  Let's pick a guy who has a bunch of cut ups on draftbreakdown and post them and just kind of break him down.  What are his strengths and weaknesses?  What kind of scheme is he suited for?  What are his ceiling and floors?  What's his draft range?  Is he a good fit for us?

Let's start with Saquon Barkley this week.  He's a blue chipper who has a ton of cut ups from last season.  There's been a lot of interest in him already, so let's get some consensus opinions about him.  You can find all of his DB cut ups here:  http://draftbreakdown.com/category/running-back-2018/saquon-barkley/

I'll link the cut ups of his best games.  We'll do his weaker games too, but this is a good place to start:

giphy.gif

The weakside defensive end is literally waiting for him in the lane, completely unblocked, and Barkley just ****ing blows right by him :ols:

That's speed gentlemen.  Barkley makes opposing players look slow and dumb.  Good players with NFL futures, like Cam Smith and Porter Gustin.  Barkley is in a class of his own.

Barkley looks to me like a faster Shady. Oh dear gawd I want...

I am firmly convinced we need a stud rb for our offense. Someone who defenses have to respect. We seem to be obsessed with the power backs that can grind out the yardage but with the type of offense Gruden runs we would be better served with an explosive guy that can make plays in space. Yes I know we have Thompson but I don't think he could hold up as a lead back. Could you imagine a backfield with both or one lined up in the slot with one in the backfield? Ruh-diculous

Samaje would be a great change of pace battering ram.

7 hours ago, squatch66 said:

I see a lot of Maurice Jones Drew in his build and his running style.  But with the speed and lateral explosiveness of LaDanian Thomlinson.  He's the perfect back.

I'm going to watch his cut ups from his bad games next, because right now I'm not seeing a lot of weaknesses.  He looks like a top five pick.

I'm hesitant about his fit for the Redskins though.  It's because of Jay.  One of the things that Jay has proven to us over the last three years is that he's pass first.  Being either run first or pass first is an entire mind set.  It's about the identity you establish for your players.  It's about what you emphasize in practice.  It's about the nature and creativity of the blocking schemes you install.  It's about what you trust to call in pressure situations.  

Barkley is the kind of running back who needs the entire offense to be built around him.  You can't dally with committing to the run for four games a season like Jay does and get your money's worth out of the kid.  And you need to install the kind of runs where he excels into your offense.  He's not a traditional between the tackles workhorse that patiently picks his way up-field.  His best runs are zones, sweeps, draws, and options from the shotgun.  Plays from motion.  Plays where he can move his feet and get his shoulders and hips turned away from the line of scrimmage and press the edge early.

I don't trust Jay to use Barkley properly at all.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I see a lot of Maurice Jones Drew in his build and his running style.  But with the speed and lateral explosiveness of LaDanian Thomlinson.  He's the perfect back.

I'm going to watch his cut ups from his bad games next, because right now I'm not seeing a lot of weaknesses.  He looks like a top five pick.

I'm hesitant about his fit for the Redskins though.  It's because of Jay.  One of the things that Jay has proven to us over the last three years is that he's pass first.  Being either run first or pass first is an entire mind set.  It's about the identity you establish for your players.  It's about what you emphasize in practice.  It's about the nature and creativity of the blocking schemes you install.  It's about what you trust to call in pressure situations.  

Barkley is the kind of running back who needs the entire offense to be built around him.  You can't dally with committing to the run for four games a season like Jay does and get your money's worth out of the kid.  And you need to install the kind of runs where he excels into your offense.  He's not a traditional between the tackles workhorse that patiently picks his way up-field.  His best runs are zones, sweeps, draws, and options from the shotgun.  Plays from motion.  Plays where he can move his feet and get his shoulders and hips turned away from the line of scrimmage and press the edge early.

I don't trust Jay to use Barkley properly at all.

I've seen him in person (more than once) and trust me, he has no weaknesses. :)

On 9/10/2017 at 11:37 AM, squatch66 said:

Mayfield was amazing last night and I loved seeing the fire in him.

I get that Russell Wilson "it" feeling from him

My dream draft next year is grabbing Barkley in the first (sorry to all the Fat Rob and Samaje fans, Barkley has been ****ing amazing) and then circle back and grab Mayfield in the 3rd.

If Mayfield keeps playing like that he wont make it out of the first. But yeah. I am all for taking Barkley early then maybe trying to trade back into the first for a QB. We have to fix the RB position. It is an embarrassment at this point. I am a PSU fan and love Barkley. But I do have some concerns about his speed getting to the outside at the pro level. He has a tendency to try to bounce everything to the outside. And the defensive speed in the NFL is going to be an adjustment for him.

On 9/11/2017 at 11:14 PM, squatch66 said:

I am firmly convinced we need a stud rb for our offense. Someone who defenses have to respect.

Yeah me too.  The running game seems to be the team's biggest weakness.  I was a big Dalvin Cook guy on the thread pre-draft.  He looked great on Monday.   With this O line, I think you need a running back with a spin move, who can juke, agility, etc.  A poor man's Barry Sanders type. A guy who can dodge defenders invading the point of attack.  Who is that guy in this draft?  I don't know, yet.   Barkley has quick feet, elusive can change direction well.  Fun watching him literally jump over dudes.   Stud.  

His body type and style remind me some of Elliot.  In theory perfect back I think for what we need.  For example the Giants looked like they did a good job of filling the gaps and giving Elliot little room to run but the dude created space for himself and juked their defenders in tight spaces.  We don't IMO have a guy like that.  I like Perine but I don't think he has that kind of ability.  I guess will see, ultimately. 

Will he be available though when we pick?   Reading some of the threads this week, you'd think we can get Barkley and then some, probably headed for the first pick in the draft :ols:  but I suspect that doom and gloom will be a temporary condition.  Though it wouldn't shock me if they lose this Sunday.  Still I don't think a top 5 pick is in the cards, I'd be surprised if its even top 10. 

Barkley penn st RB dude is crazy. His natural feel for his position on the field and that of the opponents is great. 

An other RB that I dont know about is Ty Johnson from Maryland. The man is just pure homerun hitter but what is he in the NFL? I dont see him as pure 3th down back (like Thompson) but also dont see him as a workhorse back. Best suited in a two back systeme I think. But where are you gonna draft a RB that gets between 10 a 20 touches a game. 3th round? 

3 hours ago, SamoaSkinz said:

Ezekiel wow. I would love to have an Ezekiel type back in redskins uni. Gonna start watching PSU games.

I think the comparison is a bit of a stretch. Zeke is a beast between the tackles. Barkley has yet to show that. On the flip side Barkley is better outside of the tackles than Zeke is. They are pretty different backs in all honesty.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000841338/article/scouting-baker-mayfield-vs-ohio-state-qb-rises-to-occasion

1. If you've already labeled Mayfield as a good college QB who doesn't necessarily fit in the NFL, you need to reconsider. The jury's still out on what he's going to be at the next level, but it has to be an ongoing evaluation.

I don't think he's going to be for everybody, but he only needs one team to fall in love with him. There are some offensive coaches in the NFL who'll see that Mayfield can work through progressions quickly, has a quick release, is a good athlete and looks like he has enough arm strength. You can work with that.

2. Mayfield's quickness jumped out to me more than anything else on Saturday night. In addition to his quick release, he has quick feet. He was making quick decisions, and he was reading the entire field. He used his elusiveness to get out of trouble and threw very accurately on the move.

3. There's still going to be some development to take place for Mayfield when he gets to the next level, but I left this game encouraged by the fact that he has a little more giddy up on his throws than I thought he had. There was a lot of pressure on him from Ohio State's front, and he made some NFL throws.

Now, he underthrew a couple deep balls. That's still an area to work through. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to see him throw live because you can never gain a full appreciation for someone's arm strength until you see him in person. He showed a little more velocity than I thought he had, but I need to go see it for myself.

4. I wrote in the summer that Mayfield was a better version of Colt McCoy, and the same comp came up when I recently asked 5 NFL execs for their Mayfield comp. However, if last night was any indication, he's so much more explosive than McCoy, both as an athlete and a thrower. I'll be revisiting my comp for him as the season progresses.

5. Mayfield's getting a lot of attention for something he did after the game. The OU QB planted the Sooners' flag in the middle of Ohio State field after the victory, which isn't sitting well with some folks. Mayfield apologized for his actions on Monday. I think some old-school scouts will be bothered by his decision to plant the flag. Every team wants their QB to have a steady hand and be even-keeled, but I've seen too many emotional guys have success at the next level. He was fired up, and I wouldn't dock him any points for it.

13 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Barkley penn st RB dude is crazy. His natural feel for his position on the field and that of the opponents is great. 

An other RB that I dont know about is Ty Johnson from Maryland. The man is just pure homerun hitter but what is he in the NFL? I dont see him as pure 3th down back (like Thompson) but also dont see him as a workhorse back. Best suited in a two back systeme I think. But where are you gonna draft a RB that gets between 10 a 20 touches a game. 3th round? 

3rd-4th sounds about right for Johnson.

Although he may go higher just because of measurables.

Archived