Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

For what it’s worth, the Aviary, the bar that designed this thing, is run by a bunch of mad scientists. They do **** like this:

4 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Try it with some Pikesville rye sometime. I think you might like it better. 

I will do that. The selection of rye at my local ABC store sucks. I need to upgrade my booze purveyor. 

Yeah not a good selection of ryes at the VA ABC,  they do have Pikesville, and actually Woodford Rye is not bad.  That’s some crazy stuff. My problem is I seem to always like my whiskeybest with nothing. 

Edited by HOF44

On 11/18/2018 at 5:00 PM, China said:

Recipe: Bourbon Cough Syrup for Grownups

It seems like winter colds strike with a vengeance right now, at the end of the season. In my household we drink literally gallons of ginger and honey tea during the cold months. Fresh ginger tea is delicious, and it wards off colds pretty well. But when I was felled last week by a particularly nasty cough, I had to turn to something stronger.

It’s basically hot bourbon and lemon juice, with a heaping helping of honey. I cut it with a bit of water, too, but that’s optional. It’s an easy nightcap, steaming and warm, with a stiff shot of booze to put you to sleep, lemon for Vitamin C, and all that sweet honey to make it go down easy.

Click on the link for the full article and video

This post is useless without ratios! 

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

Yeah not a good selection of ryes at the VA ABC,  they do have Pikesville, and actually Woodford Rye is not bad.  That’s some crazy stuff. My problem is I seem to always like my whiskeybest with nothing. 

Not sure how the law works in VA, but i wish there was like, a person that sold high end booze that I could just call and get it hooked up.  Like a liquor concierge. 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not sure how the law works in VA, but i wish there was like, a person that sold high end booze that I could just call and get it hooked up.  Like a liquor concierge. 

Go to a liquor store in DC.  Try S&R liquors downtown.

3 minutes ago, China said:

Go to a liquor store in DC.  Try S&R liquors downtown.

I occasionally go to a place near my office downtown called Arrowine. The staff if extremely knowledgeable but it’s small. Ill check out the place you are saying, but usually places downtown are too small to have a big selection. 

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I occasionally go to a place near my office downtown called Arrowine. The staff if extremely knowledgeable but it’s small. Ill check out the place you are saying, but usually places downtown are too small to have a big selection. 

The Costco in DC actually has a pretty good collection of stuff....they even get a small allotment of Pappy every year, but good luck getting it.

15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

There is a Costco in DC?  

Yeah, off NY Ave towards the MD border in NE. They're the only Costco around here that sells liquor....and Costco bourbon is rumored to be made by Buffalo Trace; it's pretty good.

2441 Market St NE, Washington, DC 20018

Edited by Barry.Randolphe

25 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Yeah, off NY Ave towards the MD border in NE. They're the only Costco around here that sells liquor....and Costco bourbon is rumored to be made by Buffalo Trace; it's pretty good.

2441 Market St NE, Washington, DC 20018

Blah. I work in Georegetown-West End. Im not getting out that way. 

On 2/2/2019 at 10:22 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

1 west dupont circle wines & liquors in DC has everything.  They are exactly as you describe a concierge for high end stuff. But it ain’t cheap. Everything is secondary market or above. The barrel picking group I’m in the owner of west DuPont is also a part of and we buy barrels through his store. He has some VERY good Barrel picks he does for his store that are below 100 bucks, that’s the way to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HOF44 said:

1 west dupont circle wines & liquors in DC has everything.  They are exactly as you describe a concierge for high end stuff. But it ain’t cheap. Everything is secondary market or above. The barrel picking group I’m in the owner of west DuPont is also a part of and we buy barrels through his store. He has some VERY good Barrel picks he does for his store that are below 100 bucks, that’s the way to go. 

Thank you for this.  It's an 8 minute walk from my office.  This calls for me organizing a field trip for my overpaid and overworked colleagues next Friday. :)

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Thank you for this.  It's an 8 minute walk from my office.  This calls for me organizing a field trip for my overpaid and overworked colleagues next Friday. :)

If you let me know a time Friday I will see if my friend Prav will be there and tell him to expect you.

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

If you let me know a time Friday I will see if my friend Prav will be there and tell him to expect you.

That would be great.  When do I need to let you know by?

Edit:  What have I gotten myself into??? :ols:

image.png.7706269a245fa009927078a67bc25982.png

Edited by PleaseBlitz

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Earlier the better but like the morning of the day before you go should work. Already let him know you might be coming.  He has 3 stores in DC the one I sent you is his main one.  He wants to try and be at that store when you come by.  You can taste some stuff too.

Edited by HOF44
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Edit:  What have I gotten myself into??? :ols:

Yeah he literally has or can get ANYTHING.  The prices are for concierge service for sure though, on the Pappy and very old scotch it's expensive.  But there are some great barrel pics for reasonable.  Don't leave the store without his 1792 Full Proof pick.  It's amazing.  We get together with friends down there sometimes and go out for dinner and drinking.  He had some 50 year Old Highland Park we tried.  Not my cup of tea, but cool experience none the less.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 8:32 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

For what it’s worth, the Aviary, the bar that designed this thing, is run by a bunch of mad scientists. They do **** like this:

Grant Achatz is a mad scientist and a Beethoven of the culinary world!

He beat stage 4 throat cancer and COMPLETLEY lost his sense of taste and was STILL transforming menus! His entire philosophy is change, make new, out with the old, constant reinvention. Imagine doing that with no taste?! Over time he regained his taste and he says it opened up the whole spectrum to him in a way he never could have done otherwise.

Check out his episode on The Chef's Table on Netflix, AMAZING stuff! 

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Grant Achatz is a mad scientist and a Beethoven of the culinary world!

He beat stage 4 throat cancer and COMPLETLEY lost his sense of taste and was STILL transforming menus! His entire philosophy is change, make new, out with the old, constant reinvention. Imagine doing that with no taste?! Over time he regained his taste and he says it opened up the whole spectrum to him in a way he never could have done otherwise.

Check out his episode on The Chef's Table on Netflix, AMAZING stuff! 

Yep, I've been a big fan of his since the Time magazine article on him in 2010.  http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2036155,00.html

I've eaten at Alinea, have not gotten to the Aviary yet.  

• Like 1