Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prediction/ Hope for how the Running Game shakes out this Season?

Reaper Skins

Didn't really see a thread concerning our running game in general for this season.

16 hours ago, HapHaszard said:

How does everyone think the backfield touches get divided out among this group over the course of the season?  The stat above is all the more impressive to me considering that Kelley didn't even start the season as our featured back.  I'm as excited about Perine as the next fan, but I think the idea of crowning him our feature back already is premature.  Looking over the last 2 seasons, early on we utilized a 2 back backfield (First it was Morris and Jones, then Jones and Kelley).  I think this season will be a true RBBC approach, with our group of running backs all being involved, albeit in slightly different roles, rather than one "bell cow" winning out as a full game, 30-touches-a-game back

My prediction is that Kelley is given the start, and is going to be responsible for running plays between the 20's.  Because of a strong preseason showing, Perine will slowly work his way into the rotation for short yardage and goal line plays because he seems to be more of a "wear down the defense" kind of runner.

Ideally, I'd like to see Kelley (who should have more familiarity with the playbook), playing more in the first half of games, giving the offense a chance to grab a lead early with more complex plays (screens, delayed handoffs, etc) designed to keep opposing teams on their heels.  During the second half, i'd like to see them employ Perine more in a simplified role to get him up to speed.  If we have a lead it would give us a chance to play more conservative, wear the other team down, and use a more simplified playbook to help him do what he does best.

Thompson is obviously exempt from this as his role as 3rd down back is different.  In this scenario, I would have Matt Jones acting as Kelley's backup because of his familiarity in the offense, and have him focusing more on the pass catching, route running role that he had early success in last year.  removing him from the "up the gut", straight ahead runs would help to minimize his contact and fumble issues, while allowing him to still take advantage of his size in space against DBs.   I would have Mack Brown work as Perine's backup and use him as an emergency back.  Keith Marshall I don't think will make the roster this season.

so for me the depth chart would look like:

1A (technical, cerebral back who can handle full playbook): Rob Kelley

2A Matt Jones

1B (Bruiser back, cleanup duty, wear down teams in the second half): Samaje Perine

2B Mack Brown

I think this RBBC method allows us to minimize injuries and keep our RBs fresh throughout the games and the season.  It gives us a chance to evaluate the talent of everyone at the position and lets Perine get up to speed without forcing too much on him right out of the gate.  It also gives us a chance to get some tape of Matt Jones out there to increase his possible trade value while minimizing his fumbling issues, and hopefully getting a little more return on our investment in him.  

A way to let the cream rise to the top over the course of the season while minimizing risk. 

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I don't see any way Matt Jones makes the team.

I disagree.  While I don't forsee him ever regaining he starting role, I don't think we have enough proven RB talent yet to make him expendable.  For all his issues, he HAS had success in this offense and knows the playbook better than this year's rookie (who in all fairness was taken a round LATER than him).

As the year goes on, yes I would ideally like to see Perine make Jones expendable, but until we see it on the field, cutting Jones seems like a needless risk.  He's not costing us money, he's not a finished product, and he's worth more to us than any other organization at this point.  

1 minute ago, Reaper Skins said:

I disagree.  While I don't forsee him ever regaining he starting role, I don't think we have enough proven RB talent yet to make him expendable.  For all his issues, he HAS had success in this offense and knows the playbook better than this year's rookie (who in all fairness was taken a round LATER than him).

As the year goes on, yes I would ideally like to see Perine make Jones expendable, but until we see it on the field, cutting Jones seems like a needless risk.  He's not costing us money, he's not a finished product, and he's worth more to us than any other organization at this point.  

First of all, the part in bold is just idiotic. Perine set a NCAA single game rushing record (and got yanked with more than 8 minutes on the clock), holds the career rushing record at OU (which has had a couple decent RB's there, by the way) playing only 3 years AND splitting time with Joe Mixon. Matt Jones was a part time player at UF that didn't do much, Perinie's freshman year was more than Jones's entire career. So let's not even talk about what "round" the 2 were drafted in.

Second, Jones can't hold on the football. If you're a RB and you fumble a lot, or even just have the stigma of doing so, you're not going to play. The coaches don't trust him (he was inactive the 2nd half of the season last year, remember?) and we promoted Mack Brown. Even if we don't draft a RB (which we did, and he's a real good one) I still don't think Jones makes the team. Mack Brown has more experience than last year. Hell, even Keith Marshall does, and they don't drop the ball. And when you have to remind the Head Coach that he's still on your team in a interview, that speaks volumes.

He's done here.

I don't have really high hopes for the running game, but that doesn't have a lot to do with Kelley, Perrine, Brown or Marshall. It's that looking at Gruden's career as an offensive signal caller, he's just not a run the football kind of guy. I think the balance and ratio will be way off. We're going to be a passing team with runs thrown in to keep teams honest or as an afterthought.

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

First of all, the part in bold is just idiotic. Perine set a NCAA single game rushing record (and got yanked with more than 8 minutes on the clock), holds the career rushing record at OU (which has had a couple decent RB's there, by the way) playing only 3 years AND splitting time with Joe Mixon. Matt Jones was a part time player at UF that didn't do much, Perinie's freshman year was more than Jones's entire career. So let's not even talk about what "round" the 2 were drafted in.

Second, Jones can't hold on the football. If you're a RB and you fumble a lot, or even just have the stigma of doing so, you're not going to play. The coaches don't trust him (he was inactive the 2nd half of the season last year, remember?) and we promoted Mack Brown. Even if we don't draft a RB (which we did, and he's a real good one) I still don't think Jones makes the team. Mack Brown has more experience than last year. Hell, even Keith Marshall does, and they don't drop the ball. And when you have to remind the Head Coach that he's still on your team in a interview, that speaks volumes.

He's done here.

My point in saying Perine's round is that he was not a first round choice.  He's not arriving here with the assumption of immediatley being the starter.  He was impressive in college yes, but he still has to beat out Kelley and has yet to play a down in the NFL.  I'm optimistic that he will, but the point is that as a 4th round pick, he's far from a "sure thing" to be a franchise back for us.  A year ago, our "Third" round pick was supposed to be our leading back, and it didn't work out.  So for our team to bank on our "Fourth" round pick to be a surefire success would be foolish.  Why get rid of a backup plan before you've even seen if your new player can handle the workload?  That's how we got in trouble ditching Morris for Jones.  we got lucky that Kelley was able to step up, but relying on 7th rounders to save your running game is not the smartest way to stay competitive.

Jones obviously has issues with ball security.  So much so that Gruden decided to bench him.  The same thing happened to Cousins remember?  I'm using that as an example not because I think Jones has the same amount of upside, but because it shows that, just because Gruden benches you, it doesn't mean you can't work your way back into the lineup.  It's not a death sentence, its a demotion until you fix the issue.  

In terms of experience, Jones still has made way more positive plays in this offense than Mack Brown.  If he fixes his fumbling issues I would think his upside is much higher as well.  Keith Marshall has yet to show anything in his NFL career to justify a roster spot. 

38 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

My point in saying Perine's round is that he was not a first round choice.  He's not arriving here with the assumption of immediatley being the starter.  He was impressive in college yes, but he still has to beat out Kelley and has yet to play a down in the NFL.  I'm optimistic that he will, but the point is that as a 4th round pick, he's far from a "sure thing" to be a franchise back for us.  A year ago, our "Third" round pick was supposed to be our leading back, and it didn't work out.  So for our team to bank on our "Fourth" round pick to be a surefire success would be foolish.  Why get rid of a backup plan before you've even seen if your new player can handle the workload?  That's how we got in trouble ditching Morris for Jones.  we got lucky that Kelley was able to step up, but relying on 7th rounders to save your running game is not the smartest way to stay competitive.

Jones obviously has issues with ball security.  So much so that Gruden decided to bench him.  The same thing happened to Cousins remember?  I'm using that as an example not because I think Jones has the same amount of upside, but because it shows that, just because Gruden benches you, it doesn't mean you can't work your way back into the lineup.  It's not a death sentence, its a demotion until you fix the issue.  

In terms of experience, Jones still has made way more positive plays in this offense than Mack Brown.  If he fixes his fumbling issues I would think his upside is much higher as well.  Keith Marshall has yet to show anything in his NFL career to justify a roster spot. 

I'm not sure why you're still even on the "round" thing. Matt Jones in the 3rd round was though of by everyone as a big reach, while getting Perine in the 4th was a steal. And most experts expect Perine to be the starter at some point this year and never look back. Going by that assessment, RGIII is a better QB than Cousins. So, you really just need to drop the whole deal about what round they were drafted in.

As far as everything else, Jones runs very soft (especially for a guy his size) and fumbles a lot. Mack Brown, in very limited action has show as much as Matt Jones. And considering they were ok going with Brown over Jones last year, I don't see how Jones beats him out. He's soft, doesn't plays special teams and fumbles. As for Marshall, he's done nothing, including not fumble all over the place. And if you want to talk upside, Marshall has more than anyone. 225 and blazing fast. At least he doesn't mind playing special teams either, he did so at UGA. "Upside" and "experience" only get you so far. Fumbles and playing soft will get you cut.

Then there is Matt's attitude. He stayed out of all the OTA's. If you're trying to fight for a spot on the team, you don't do that. And I can tell you the coaches noticed.

53 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't have really high hopes for the running game, but that doesn't have a lot to do with Kelley, Perrine, Brown or Marshall. It's that looking at Gruden's career as an offensive signal caller, he's just not a run the football kind of guy. I think the balance and ratio will be way off. We're going to be a passing team with runs thrown in to keep teams honest or as an afterthought.

I don't disagree. He's way too pass-happy for me.

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I'm not sure why you're still even on the "round" thing. Matt Jones in the 3rd round was though of by everyone as a big reach, while getting Perine in the 4th was a steal. And most experts expect Perine to be the starter at some point this year and never look back. Going by that assessment, RGIII is a better QB than Cousins. So, you really just need to drop the whole deal about what round they were drafted in.

This is not at ALL what I'm saying.  You missed my point completely

Image result for aku gif

Just now, Reaper Skins said:

This is not at ALL what I'm saying.  You missed my point completely

Then maybe you should stop hamming on it. I know what points you're trying to make, they just don't hold that much water. Matt Jones was a reach 3rd round pick that runs soft, get taken down easy, doesn't play special teams, and fumbles. You're arguing that he has upside, experience in the offense and Perine wasn't a 1st round pick, so he's not worthy of being a day one starter. I've already said what upside and experience will get you. And lets not act like he has like 4 or 5 years playing in the NFL. You want that, the only RB on this team that fits that is Chris Thompson, who Gruden has eluded will see more action. They don't need Matt Jones for 2 years experience in the NFL.

I think we'll basically have the same results as last year.  I see no reason to think we'll be any better or worse.

Probably won't run it enough, same strengths and weaknesses personnel wise.  Maybe another year of growth under Callahan is about the only reason to think they'll improve any.  Even then, I dont envision a leap of any kind.

29 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Then maybe you should stop hamming on it. I know what points you're trying to make, they just don't hold that much water. Matt Jones was a reach 3rd round pick that runs soft, get taken down easy, doesn't play special teams, and fumbles. You're arguing that he has upside, experience in the offense and Perine wasn't a 1st round pick, so he's not worthy of being a day one starter. I've already said what upside and experience will get you. And lets not act like he has like 4 or 5 years playing in the NFL. You want that, the only RB on this team that fits that is Chris Thompson, who Gruden has eluded will see more action. They don't need Matt Jones for 2 years experience in the NFL.

Jesus why so mad?  Did Matt Jones kill your dog?  I'm not arguing for him to have a starting role, I'm not arguing that he wasn't a reach or that he's underperformed up until this point.  I'm NOT arguing that Perine can't be a starter because of his draft position, only that it would be foolish to not have backup plans.  I'm not even arguing that they should play the same role in the offense or that Jones should be getting carries ahead of Perine.  

I'm arguing that until someone SHOWS that they have more to offer than Jones, it doesn't make sense to get rid of him.  Low upside is still better than a question mark.

Stop looking for fights where none exist.  You disagree, fine.  There's nothing "idiotic" about hedging your bets.  Just because "most experts expect Perine to be the starter at some point this year and never look back" doesn't mean he wont snap his leg off in the first preseason game or end up having worse hands than Jones.  Is it likely?  No.  Should you needlessly open yourself up to the risk?  No.  Keep Jones until a better option emerges.  So far I haven't seen one.  Mack is already ahead of him in my mind.  If the pick is between Jones and Marshall, the guy with multiple starts and touchdowns in the offense seems like a no brainer to me over the guy who hasn't even gotten onto the field.

8 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Jesus why so mad?  Did Matt Jones kill your dog?  I'm not arguing for him to have a starting role, I'm not arguing that he wasn't a reach or that he's underperformed up until this point.  I'm NOT arguing that Perine can't be a starter because of his draft position, only that it would be foolish to not have backup plans.  I'm not even arguing that they should play the same role in the offense or that Jones should be geting carries ahead of Perine.  

I'm arguing that until someone SHOWS that they have more to offer than Jones, it doesn't make sense to get rid of him.  Low upside is still better than  a question mark.

Stop looking for fights where none exist.  You disagree, fine.  There's nothing "idiotic" about hedging your bets.  Just because "most experts expect Perine to be the starter at some point this year and never look back" doesn't mean he wont snap his leg off in the first preseason game or end up having worse hands than Jones.  Is it likely?  No.  Should you needlessly open yourself up to the risk?  No.    

I don't have a dog. Matt Jones is just a guy that is not a NFL running back for multiple reasons. He fumbles too much, and is a soft player.

Oh, you started this by the way. Not me. And I'm not mad, it just think it's silly. As for as showing, Kelley, Thompson and Brown have shown to be more reliable than Jones. Perine is probably much better than Kelly and Brown, but TC will show that. Marshall has more upside. Jones is a good athlete, but not a good football player. And for some reason that makes me looking for a fight and that Jones must have done something to my pet. Stop projecting.

Edit: It's as much a numbers game as anything. Jones is maybe a 4th/5th back on our team.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Oh, you started this by the way. Not me. And I'm not mad, it just think it's silly.

No, you called one of his counter-points idiotic in your second post without understanding the context he was trying to make.   Stuff like this is why a lot of people in tailgate don't bother coming into stadium anymore except maybe the twitter thread, some of ya'll are too pressed on being right versus having an actual discussion about anything.

As for the topic, @Reaper Skins, I'm not optimistic at all.  I eventually got the vibe towards the end of the year that either players figured out Fat Rob or he ran out of steam.  I agree with you that Perine hasn't proven anything, and we've seen guys with all kinds of college stats not make it in the NFL.  All the experts predicted Jones taking Morris spot, and he did, but he couldn't keep it.  I get what you're saying about keeping Jones because of his experience and what he's done in open field, but with the fumbling and being a non-factor on special teams, I think he's gone, too.

Personally I never want to see Matt Jones again in a Redskins uniform.  After that fumble in the Lions game at the goaline killed any hope for me that he is a viable RB for us.  

People also forget that Kelly has playing injured in the last few games thus the slow down.  I think Kelly/Perrine with Thompson as the 3rd down back is a very viable running attack.  We also have Brown and Marshall who I hope will be able to finally play injury free.  This guy has serious speed and size.  Both can be on the practice squat but honestly I look towards Marshall to be on the team because he can back Thompson with his speed and ability to catch the ball.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

No, you called one of his counter-points idiotic in your second post without understanding the context he was trying to make.   Stuff like this is why a lot of people in tailgate don't bother coming into stadium anymore except maybe the twitter thread, some of ya'll are too pressed on being right versus having an actual discussion about anything.

As for the topic, @Reaper Skins, I'm not optimistic at all.  I eventually got the vibe towards the end of the year that either players figured out Fat Rob or he ran out of steam.  I agree with you that Perine hasn't proven anything, and we've seen guys with all kinds of college stats not make it in the NFL.  All the experts predicted Jones taking Morris spot, and he did, but he couldn't keep it.  I get what you're saying about keeping Jones because of his experience and what he's done in open field, but with the fumbling and being a non-factor on special teams, I think he's gone, too.

Did you see his point? Attaching what round he was taken in as a reason for keeping him around? Sorry, dumb reason. Context was understood, but IMO completely unfounded. In that case, RGIII is our defacto starter, and Tom Brady washes out in 3 years.

As for Rob Kelley, I don't think he lost steam. He had a knee injury and that slowed him down. I'll also add that our run blocking was pretty terrible down the stretch due in part because we went up against some very nasty DL's. Our OL still isn't going to blow people off the ball. They probably should, as big as they are, but they are not all that physical as a group.

As for Matt Jones, he was pretty much "given" the starting role, one he didn't do anything to earn after Morris was let go. Considering he doesn't do special teams and is not a physical player at all, I don't see him beating anyone out, especially not showing up to OTA's.

There's no need to expand on it, but Matt Jones absolutely shouldn't be on the opening day roster. That being said, it wasn't a pleasure to see Tandler's tweet last week about how Perine, essentially isn't NFL-ready. And that being said, I'm OK with letting him develop because we have a solid starter in Kelly. I'll happily take a 4.2 avg and zero fumbles while letting Perine get acclimated.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Did you see his point? Attaching what round he was taken in as a reason for keeping him around? Sorry, dumb reason. Context was understood, but IMO completely unfounded. In that case, RGIII is our defacto starter, and Tom Brady washes out in 3 years.

As for Rob Kelley, I don't think he lost steam. He had a knee injury and that slowed him down. I'll also add that our run blocking was pretty terrible down the stretch due in part because we went up against some very nasty DL's. Our OL still isn't going to blow people off the ball. They probably should, as big as they are, but they are not all that physical as a group.

As for Matt Jones, he was pretty much "given" the starting role, one he didn't do anything to earn after Morris was let go. Considering he doesn't do special teams and is not a physical player at all, I don't see him beating anyone out, especially not showing up to OTA's.

I took it as meaning better prospects coming out of college and Jones having more NFL production, but that's water under the discussion at this point, he has to go.  

They set it up for Jones to be the starter because they felt he was a more rounded player compared to Morris considering what he could do in the passing game compared the Morris.  If Morris was a better player out the backfield he's likely still a Redskins, especially considering no one else at that time was ready to challenge Jones for the starting role going into 2016.  That and Morris only got a 2yr - $5 million deal from Dallas.  

I don't remember Rob getting hurt before week 16, but that doesn't matter either when you look how after after the GB game we only had 2 games over 100 yards rushing and 3 games under 60.  I feel even less optimistic now since you bring up the run blocking because its not like our 2017 schedule is getting any easier.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I took it as meaning better prospects coming out of college and Jones having more NFL production, but that's water under the discussion at this point, he has to go.  

They set it up for Jones to be the starter because they felt he was a more rounded player compared to Morris considering what he could do in the passing game compared the Morris.  If Morris was a better player out the backfield he's likely still a Redskins, especially considering no one else at that time was ready to challenge Jones for the starting role going into 2016.  That and Morris only got a 2yr - $5 million deal from Dallas.  

I don't remember Rob getting hurt before week 16, but that doesn't matter either when you look how after after the GB game we only had 2 games over 100 yards rushing and 3 games under 60.  I feel even less optimistic now since you bring up the run blocking because its not like our 2017 schedule is getting any easier.

I'm not sure exactly what your are talking about here. I don't think anyone considers Matt Jones a better prospect than Samaje Perine at the same point at any time in their college careers. If that is not what you mean, then I am confused.

Anywho, I agree that Matt Jones will not be on the roster. If he had come in during the off season and work on ball security, shown up during OTA's and basically tried to show the coaches he was willing to do anything and everything, then he had a chance. But it seems like he has already thrown the towel in, so to speak and I think the coaching staff probably feels the same way. To be fair, 2 of the fumbles last year were not really his fault. My big issue with him is how nonphysical he is as  runner that weighs 230+ pounds. He avoids contact, when he should be trying to truck people.

But then, I'm also looking to see what Keith Marshal can do if he can remain healthy. So that tells you all you need to know about how good I am at scouting NFL players. :lol:

Edit: I also worry about the run game, especially when we need to be physical. I think it had a huge effect on our Red Zone offense. We could not run down there and became one-dimentional.

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

There's no need to expand on it, but Matt Jones absolutely shouldn't be on the opening day roster. That being said, it wasn't a pleasure to see Tandler's tweet last week about how Perine, essentially isn't NFL-ready. And that being said, I'm OK with letting him develop because we have a solid starter in Kelly. I'll happily take a 4.2 avg and zero fumbles while letting Perine get acclimated.

This right here.

Matt Jones won't make the team. Hes garbage. Brown and Perine will force him off, almost as much as he's forced himself off.

Lets move on. Quickly. :ols:

I think Kelley will beast out. Gruden was top 15 in calling runs two years ago and our OC rode Lewis like a rented mule all the way to the SB.

Im excited. We have a few WRs who block now. Lines together longer. We all want to run. 

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Did you see his point? Attaching what round he was taken in as a reason for keeping him around? Sorry, dumb reason. 

Keep who around?  Jones?  Again.  This is not what I'm saying at all.

You are mistaken.

I used Matt Jones' third round status only as a way to show how much of a long shot he was to be able to come in and be able to handle all the responsibilities of a franchise back right off the bat.

Not to show that he "deserves a spot on the roster" because he got taken in the 3rd round.

The fact that Perine is a fourth round back just means, IN THEORY, it will be just as, if not EVEN LESS LIKELY, for him to do it without any bumps in the road, injuries, rookie walls, etc.  He will most likely need help and time to adjust.

So maybe we shouldn't be so quick to throw away a back up plan for absolutely nothing when we still have 2 more years left on it for very little money.

I'm not suggesting that Jones starts OVER Perine.  Im saying the starters would be Perine and Kelley as a one-two punch on gameday.  Their respective backups would be Mack and Jones.  Jones would therefore be 4th, and last, on the depth chart and ONLY as a last resort, due SOLEY to his past success and familiarity with the playbook.  Thats a better option than Keith Marshall to me.

3 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

Keep who around?  Jones?  Again.  This is not what I'm saying at all.

You are mistaken.

I used Matt Jones' third round status only as a way to show how much of a long shot he was to be able to come in and be able to handle all the responsibilities of a franchise back right off the bat.

Not to show that he "deserves a spot on the roster" because he got taken in the 3rd round.

The fact that Perine is a fourth round back just means, IN THEORY, it will be just as, if not EVEN LESS LIKELY, for him to do it without any bumps in the road, injuries, rookie walls, etc.  He will most likely need help and time to adjust.

So maybe we shouldn't be so quick to throw away a back up plan for absolutely nothing when we still have 2 more years left on it for very little money.

I'm not suggesting that Jones starts OVER Perine.  Im saying the starters would be Perine and Kelley as a one-two punch on gameday.  Their respective backups would be Mack and Jones.  Jones would therefore be 4th, and last, on the depth chart and ONLY as a last resort, due SOLEY to his past success and familiarity with the playbook.  Thats a better option than Keith Marshall to me.

So, you're suggesting keeping 5 running back on the roster? Because you obviously forgot about Chris Thompson, who is most definitely going to be on the roster. Not going to happen. As I said earlier, it's a numbers game, and Jones is a 5th back on the chart. He is either on the PS (if he even has eligibility) or cut.

And then there is the part in bold. You really need to stop even mentioning how what round a RB was drafted means anything. Rob Kelly was a UDFA and beat out Matt Jones. Matt Jones was not a stud RB at UF. Perine was at OU. The fact he was taken in the 4th round (which everyone agreed was a steal) as opposed to Jones being taken in the 3rd round (which everyone agreed was a reach) means nothing. RB is the easiest position to step into as a rookie, it's not that hard, outside of pass protection. I don't know why you're even mentioning it at this point.

As for as "So maybe we shouldn't be so quick to throw away a back up plan for absolutely nothing when we still have 2 more years left on it for very little money", If he gets beat out, who cares? It's not like any RB we have is costing us anything, they are all on rookie contracts outside of Thompson. The all probably cost LESS, since they are either UDFA's or lower round draft picks.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Jones vs Marshall vs Lumgren.

Who has the most impact this year?

Marshall. Because he'll be the only one on the squad, helping the D get ready because he'll be on the PS. :P

9 hours ago, Morneblade said:

So, you're suggesting keeping 5 running back on the roster? Because you obviously forgot about Chris Thompson, who is most definitely going to be on the roster. Not going to happen. As I said earlier, it's a numbers game, and Jones is a 5th back on the chart. He is either on the PS (if he even has eligibility) or cut.

And then there is the part in bold. You really need to stop even mentioning how what round a RB was drafted means anything. Rob Kelly was a UDFA and beat out Matt Jones. Matt Jones was not a stud RB at UF. Perine was at OU. The fact he was taken in the 4th round (which everyone agreed was a steal) as opposed to Jones being taken in the 3rd round (which everyone agreed was a reach) means nothing. RB is the easiest position to step into as a rookie, it's not that hard, outside of pass protection. I don't know why you're even mentioning it at this point.

As for as "So maybe we shouldn't be so quick to throw away a back up plan for absolutely nothing when we still have 2 more years left on it for very little money", If he gets beat out, who cares? It's not like any RB we have is costing us anything, they are all on rookie contracts outside of Thompson. The all probably cost LESS, since they are either UDFA's or lower round draft picks.

Marshall. Because he'll be the only one on the squad, helping the D get ready because he'll be on the PS. :P

Yes, I'm suggesting 5 running backs.  As I said in my original post, Thompson is excluded from the discussion because his role as a third down back is different.

You say "if Jones gets beat out, who cares?"  Again, I AGREE with you.  I have no loyalty to Jones.  IF someone beats him out for the 5th spot, hooray, we can all move on.  My point is DON"T CUT HIM until someone does.

Just because you think draft position is irrelevant to everything doesn't make it a fact.  I don't "really need" to stop mentioning it.  The whole point of this was that its smart business to not put all your eggs in one basket, regardless of HOW GREAT a prospect Perine may be.  

Using another mid level draft pick, from only a year ago, who ran in the same system, and who flamed out spectacularly, DESPITE how much promise he showed going into 2016, as an example of WHY YOU should have back up plans, IS a valid argument, and IS worth considering when you are deciding how to build a depth chart for the upcoming season.

Archived