Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prediction/ Hope for how the Running Game shakes out this Season?

Reaper Skins

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Ok, so you're ready for a run when it's 4th and goal at the 17, up by 4 against the Patriots, with Brady at QB with an empty backfield. And you're going to tell me that you're not going to be surprised by a QB draw? My point is that you should never deal in absolutes. Of course there are going to be times when a run is going to catch a team by surprise when you consider down, distance, time and formation. Even in the red zone. I mean, who saw this coming?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000604966/Redskins-Kirk-Cousins-scrambles-for-a-13-yard-touchdown

A DC who got fired. That's who didn't see that coming.

45 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

I think this guy read my initial post...

www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2017/07/05/matt-jones-asked-for-his-release-but-the-redskins-have-a-good-reason-to-keep-him/?utm_term=.41d0b809c868

Did you even read the article? The reasoning for "keeping Jones" is not to keep him, but to not cut him now. Keep him until later in TC, and that's it. And hopefully he will do enough in Preseason to catch on elsewhere. But it won't be here. So, um.................yeah.

The more I think about our running game the more I think it has to do with the OL getting on the same page.  I think our three main backs will be decent behind this OL.  Question is do we keep 3 RBs or 4?  And who is the 4th?  Brown or Marshal.  Forget Jones, he is gone.  But under Callahan this OL should be ready to be in beast mode come September in the running game.  LIcht is gone and we have some major beef up front now, hell with Licht you could count on a nose tackle or a DT to be two yards in the backfield on the hand off.

56 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Did you even read the article? The reasoning for "keeping Jones" is not to keep him, but to not cut him now. Keep him until later in TC, and that's it. And hopefully he will do enough in Preseason to catch on elsewhere. But it won't be here. So, um.................yeah.

Yes I did.

From the last line of my OP:

"It also gives us a chance to get some tape of Matt Jones out there to increase his possible trade value while minimizing his fumbling issues, and hopefully getting a little more return on our investment in him."

And from one of my responses on page 1 to you:

"You say "if Jones gets beat out, who cares?"  Again, I AGREE with you.  I have no loyalty to Jones.  IF someone beats him out for the 5th spot, hooray, we can all move on.  My point is DON"T CUT HIM until someone does."

15 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Yes I did.

From the last line of my OP:

"It also gives us a chance to get some tape of Matt Jones out there to increase his possible trade value while minimizing his fumbling issues, and hopefully getting a little more return on our investment in him."

And from one of my responses on page 1 to you:

"You say "if Jones gets beat out, who cares?"  Again, I AGREE with you.  I have no loyalty to Jones.  IF someone beats him out for the 5th spot, hooray, we can all move on.  My point is DON"T CUT HIM until someone does."

Yeah, let's go to the OP and just see what you said....

On 6/27/2017 at 9:09 AM, Reaper Skins said:

Didn't really see a thread concerning our running game in general for this season.

so for me the depth chart would look like:

1A (technical, cerebral back who can handle full playbook): Rob Kelley

2A Matt Jones

1B (Bruiser back, cleanup duty, wear down teams in the second half): Samaje Perine

2B Mack Brown

I think this RBBC method allows us to minimize injuries and keep our RBs fresh throughout the games and the season.  It gives us a chance to evaluate the talent of everyone at the position and lets Perine get up to speed without forcing too much on him right out of the gate.  It also gives us a chance to get some tape of Matt Jones out there to increase his possible trade value while minimizing his fumbling issues, and hopefully getting a little more return on our investment in him.  

A way to let the cream rise to the top over the course of the season while minimizing risk. 

First, you have him on the 53 man roster, and us carrying 5 RB's, which isn't going to happen. Second, no one is going to trade for him.

No. One. There is really no market for a big RB that isn't physical and fumbles.

Your OP was not only will he not be cut, he would be on the 53 man roster, not the PS. The article is nothing like your OP. All it says is that Jones wants to leave now, and the 'Skins are not going to give him that, and will keep him around and cut him later, making it HARDER for him to find a job.

Like I said, did you even read the article?

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Yeah, let's go to the OP and just see what you said....

First, you have him on the 53 man roster, and us carrying 5 RB's, which isn't going to happen. Second, no one is going to trade for him.

No. One. There is really no market for a big RB that isn't physical and fumbles.

Your OP was not only will he not be cut, he would be on the 53 man roster, not the PS. The article is nothing like your OP. All it says is that Jones wants to leave now, and the 'Skins are not going to give him that, and will keep him around and cut him later, making it HARDER for him to find a job.

Like I said, did you even read the article?

Speculation.  Not facts. This is your opinion.  Its not a fact.  

My OP was that as a backup plan, I wouldn't mind having him on the squad as a backup because i didn't see a better option.  Hence the whole thread title "Prediction/HOPE of how the running game plays out this season.  I predict/hope it.  You disagree.   Fine.  Your not a coach.  Your a fan behind a keyboard just like me.  You don't know what's going to happen.  To say I'm wrong and act like I'm a moron just because I have a different opinion than you is annoying and unfounded.  

Yes.  I read the article.  Stop being a condescending asshole.

The two main points that he brings up in his article, as articulated BY YOU, are 1.  Don't cut him now.  And 2.  Use preseason to give him a chance to catch on elsewhere.  My OP had similar points in it, so I mentioned it while linking an article that was relevant to the Running back discussion in this thread.

What's your problem with me and my posts?  Do you just want the last word?  Take it I'm done here.

10 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Speculation.  Not facts. This is your opinion.  Its not a fact.  

My OP was that as a backup plan, I wouldn't mind having him on the squad as a backup because i didn't see a better option.  Hence the whole thread title "Prediction/HOPE of how the running game plays out this season.  I predict it.  You disagree.   Fine.  Your not a coach or a psychic.  You don't know what's going to happen.  To say I'm wrong is speculation.  

Yes.  I read the article.  Stop being a condescending asshole.

The two main points that he brings up in his article, as articulated BY YOU, are 1.  Don't cut him now.  And 2.  Use preseason to give him a chance to catch on elsewhere.  My OP had two similar points in it, so I mentioned it while linking an article that was relevant to the Running back discussion in this thread.

What's your problem with me and my posts?  Do you just want the last word?  Take it I'm done here.

Good.

So, you think he was a better option, that's fine. 5 RB's on the roster? Considering teams don't do that, I don't really consider that an opinion. You think he has value in trade, we disagree and I gave you my reasons for it.

Well, if you did read the article, you either:

1. Misunderstood what was written

2. Intentionally were misleading

Because the article had nothing that went with you OP. So now you go with personal attacks. Which tells me you have nothing left to work with.

BTW, your OP was nothing but opinion, and as such we were discussing that. Obviously, since we're not even in training camp yet there are zero facts to work with. However you can get at least a sense of how things might work out when you look at history. And history indicates that a guy that was a starter, gets demoted and made inactive for the last half of the season, then has a decorated guy drafted at his position is probably not going to make the squad.

But you do whatever mental gymnastics you need to.

Archived