Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barack Obama Accepting $400,000 in Wall Street Speech Fee is Depressing

No Excuses

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

My dad used to ask us when we were little if we would play this game and he would pay us $10 for every toe of his that we licked in between. There would always be negotiations etc His point was that some things aren't worth money and that we should have higher standards. He never let us do it obviously. 

My point was that he could have offered $1.00 a toe and found out really quick that I will do just about anything for a good payday and as a child from a poor family with no allowance, $1.00 a toe was a solid payday.

$5 per toe

49 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

People are so focused on how bad the republicans are that they don't see the exact same hypocrisy on the left and if anything it's a little worse and exactly why the middle went to the right enough to elect Trump. No Excuses is 100% right, hypocrisy like this is why you lose elections and will continue to.

Everything after the part in bold is not reality. It's not the same and it's definitely not worse. The current version of the GOP in this country is THE ****ING WORST!!! The reason the left lost that election is because Hillary did not excite her base and Donald Trump did....

...because HIS base is ****ing stupid.

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

If a gross revolving door didn't already exist between Wall Street and DC, this would be a nothing burger.

Except that's not the case. 

I would love for a political party in this country to give the middle finger to Wall Street and start campaigning on real reform. 

If you guys think optics don't play a huge role in this, you are sadly mistaken. The Dems lose any and all credibility on financial and labor reform when their top leaders are bumping uglies with the very people they criticize.

If you don't see why this a problem, you are part of the issue.

He didn't lay down any foundation. He should ask the Clinton's how it turned out for them and the Democrats as they cozied up to Wall Street and Big Business.

With every major Dem leader becoming a corporate ass kisser, they become more and more of a boutique party centered around social liberalism with no core economic message. 

I'm not part of the issue so get over your self righteousness on this singular issue. 

Ya know what doesn't create change in an industry? Someone like Obama giving them the middle finger and not talking to them. Not everyone on Wall Street is the devil.

As much as I love Obama if you really expect a career politician to NOT make money anyway he/she can you have a warped sense of reality....to say the least. 

Also, get over your idealism. The world doesn't work like that. Trump got elected because America is mostly racist and stupid. It had nothing to do with democrats giving speeches for money. If anything, dems lost because of stupid ass misplaced anger over little **** like speeches and mean words. 

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Also, get over your idealism. The world doesn't work like that. Trump got elected because America is mostly racist and stupid. It had nothing to do with democrats giving speeches for money. If anything, dems lost because of stupid ass misplaced anger over little **** like speeches and mean words. 

Trump can get elected because America is racist and stupid, and also because his opponent party are stuffed with hypocrites on one of the biggest issues plaguing this country.

And no I won't get over my idealism. It is frankly sad to see that so many of you are seemingly complacement about the horrendous reality of our political leaders being a bunch of corporate sell outs.

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Trump can get elected because America is racist and stupid, and also because his opponent party are stuffed with hypocrites on one of the biggest issues plaguing this country.

And no I won't get over my idealism. It is frankly sad to see that so many of you are seemingly complacement about the horrendous reality of our political leaders being a bunch of corporate sell outs.

Dont miss understand... I don't think anyone here is ok with the way politicians work. But that's the system. That's life. A little reality will do you good. I'm the least republican cat on this planet sometimes but even I can see that part of the reason dems lost is because of attitudes like yours. Your idealism is nice and peachy but the world DOES NOT work that way and even if you cry foul about it on the highest mountain top that will not change unless you destroy the whole country and start over. 

Once you provide me with a realistic plan to change how everything works (i.e: money) I will concede that you are correct. Until then this cannot be the most depressing thing that has ever happened in your life. This is the reason terms like whiny liberal and snowflake exist. You have to see this! 

Money is the worst thing to happen to the human race. But how do you correct that? You can't. Accept it. 

A 2014 paper from Princeton political scientists pretty much showed what a monumental joke our current political system is:

https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/mgilens/files/gilens_and_page_2014_-testing_theories_of_american_politics.doc.pdf

Utterly dominated by elites, most of them in the finance sector. 

That the cozy relationship between major political leaders and the very people who are sucking this country dry is no longer perceived overwhelmingly as being abhorten is disheartening. This normalization will only get worse under Trump.

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Once you provide me with a realistic plan to change how everything works (i.e: money) I will concede that you are correct. Until then this cannot be the most depressing thing that has ever happened in your life. This is the reason terms like whiny liberal and snowflake exist. You have to see this! 

There are legitimate ways to slow down the plundering of this country that happens every day at Wall Street.

Reinstate Glass-Steagall.

Reforming capital gains tax.

Regulating and limiting high frequency trading.

Just those three to name a few.

But your problem is that you are asking someone on a message board for "realistic plans"  while seemingly doing a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ towards people who should be leading the charge on fixing this nonsense.

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I think a platform of "We Will Destroy the Banking System" will really pay dividends for the Dems in 2020.

Ah, we've entered the "reforming a corrupt industry" is akin to "destroying it all together" phase. 

For ****s sake. Seemingly twa has morphed into a dozen liberal posters in this thread.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

If Trump was elected because America is mostly racist... how in the **** was Obama elected twice? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Everything after the part in bold is not reality.

you may not believe it, but i think it might be. 

It's not the same and it's definitely not worse. The current version of the GOP in this country is THE ****ING WORST!!! .

...because HIS base is ****ing stupid.

the current GOP is bad, no question, but i'm not sure the dems are any better.  its all bad, imo.

The reason the left lost that election is because Hillary did not excite her base and Donald Trump did..

absolutely agree with this.

42 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

There are legitimate ways to slow down the plundering of this country that happens every day at Wall Street.

Reinstate Glass-Steagall.

Reforming capital gains tax.

Regulating and limiting high frequency trading.

Just those three to name a few.

But your problem is that you are asking someone on a message board for "realistic plans"  while seemingly doing a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ towards people who should be leading the charge on fixing this nonsense.

Ah, we've entered the "reforming a corrupt industry" is akin to "destroying it all together" phase. 

For ****s sake. Seemingly twa has morphed into a dozen liberal posters in this thread.

What bills did Obama sign into law that are relevant to these issues?

This is the kind of purity idealism that is not good for the country. Do you want to examine the clothes of every politician? Maybe go over every item they bought or that you bought to make sure you aren't supporting big corporations exploiting workers? Hope you don't own any mutual funds either.

It's a speech. A speech in which you have no idea what he is going to even say.    

Don't really care what he says in the speech. It is a totally two-faced move and a betrayal of the wing of his party that cares about Wall Street reform. Cozying up to the wealthy elite sucking this country dry is everything wrong with our current politics. 

But I suppose Obama and Team Blue deserve our benefit of the doubt (they don't).

I strongly supported Hillary but I hope she was the last of the corprate ass kissing Dem faction. 

Archived