Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barack Obama Accepting $400,000 in Wall Street Speech Fee is Depressing

No Excuses

4 hours ago, twa said:

Why can't he start the Obama Foundation that takes money from people all over the world?

Surely the Clintons haven't sucked the pool dry.

And the Bush's. You love them though despite the whole doing everything that the Clinton's did except not getting BJs & fighting a war for fabricated reasons.

Whatdya think.....Dock their benefits or no?

Last year, then-president Barack Obama vetoed a bill that would have curbed the pensions of former presidents if they took outside income of $400,000 or more.

So now that former president Barack Obama has decided to accept $400,000 for an upcoming Wall Street speech, the sponsors of that bill say they'll reintroduce that bill in hopes that President Trump will sign it.

"The Obama hypocrisy on this issue is revealing," said Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and sponsor of the 2016 bill. "His veto was very self-serving."

Chaffetz and Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, the sponsor of the companion Senate bill, say they will re-introduce the Presidential Allowance Modernization Act this month. The bill would cap presidential pensions at $200,000, with another $200,000 for expenses. But those payments would be reduced dollar-for-dollar once their outside income exceeds $400,000.

The issue isn't a partisan one — or at least, it wasn't last year. The bill passed both the House and Senate with no opposition, and no veto threat had come from the White House.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/05/03/obamas-400000-speech-could-prompt-congress-go-after-his-pension-trump-bush/101242772/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2017 at 4:50 PM, No Excuses said:

It doesn't really change my opinion. 

I think some of you think that my issue is that Obama is taking speaking fees from Wall St and that this action is inherently bad.

My argument is purely a political one. That such actions contribute towards making the Democrats message come across as hollow to a good chunk of the voting base.

I thought that was fairly evident this past election but I guess not.

It's always come across as hollow.  

24 minutes ago, twa said:

Both Obama camp and the company decline to say how much.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/802063/Barack-Obama-speech-Global-Food-Innovation-Summit-Milan-private-speech-Wall-Street

maybe someone reputable should ask 

I've read that. You should read that story again. The site has already updated the story to take out the payment. Even Fox News couldn't go along with that initial article.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/11/obamas-mystery-fee-for-italy-speech-renews-debate-over-lucrative-lecturing-by-ex-presidents.html

That prompted wild speculation from one publication, which did a back-of-the-napkin estimation that put Obama's payment at a potential $3.2 million.

While that number appears to have been the total cost for all 3,500 tickets to the event on how food innovation can save humanity from climate change, which went for 850 euros, or $925, a piece, it still leaves open the question of how much Obama got.

This is a good example of why it's important to know how to determine reputable sources. Never even heard of that paper but seems like it's a mouthpiece for UKIP.

28 minutes ago, twa said:

Both Obama camp and the company decline to say how much.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/802063/Barack-Obama-speech-Global-Food-Innovation-Summit-Milan-private-speech-Wall-Street

maybe someone reputable should ask 

So why the **** would you post that **** about him getting paid a specific amount......One of those people spreading fake news you are.... Pathetic

1 hour ago, killerbee99 said:

So why the **** would you post that **** about him getting paid a specific amount......One of those people spreading fake news you are.... Pathetic

Why not post it?

Would it be a bad thing to get that much?

Archived