Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

I really can't see why the NRA would be going these kinds of things.  It's not like they need Russian help (or money) to be powerful in Washington.  

Were they all blackmailed into it?  

It’s all about the money. Probably a chance to fill personal coffers

• Like 1

Yeah I was thinking about that earlier today. Bob Woodward is obviously an excellent and meticulous journalist and is able to get tons of information...but he still doesn't have subpoena power or legal authority to force people to talk about what they know. Considering how much he got without that sort of legal power behind him, imagine how much Mueller and his team probably got with it.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Money. It's never enough.

I've always wondered how the NRA had all this money. There's only 5 million members. At 40 dollars a membership, there's not a lot of money to do the lobbying they do and pay the people on their staff, print and distribute their magazines, etc. So yeah, they're washing money. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-many-members-does-the-nra-really-have_us_59651114e4b005b0fdc8fe90

https://membership.nra.org/FAQ

• Like 3

"The FBI showed up and asked me a bunch of questions about something I was involved in. I had no clue they were going to actually take note of my answers"

And it's hilarious, but unsurprising, that even a member of Congress seems to get his idea of Miranda rights from TV/Film. IIRC LE officers rarely are actually required to read you your Miranda rights. It's only if you're under arrest and being interrogated to try and get you to confess to a crime.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

"The FBI showed up and asked me a bunch of questions about something I was involved in. I had no clue they were going to actually take note of my answers"

"And they didn't read my Miranda rights (which begin with the words "You are under arrest").  And they served me with papers."  

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And it's hilarious, but unsurprising, that even a member of Congress seems to get his idea of Miranda rights from TV/Film. IIRC LE officers rarely are actually required to read you your Miranda rights. It's only if you're under arrest and being interrogated to try and get you to confess to a crime.

I actually have a problem with that, and several similar rules.  

For example, the notion that "if you're under arrest, then you can end things at any time by requesting a lawyer.  but since you're under 'not arrest, but we forced you into this locked room whether you want to be there or not, and won't let you leave, because we're 'just questioning you' about the crime that we think you committed (but don't have enough to charge you with)', then you don't have those rights."  

I think that if I ever wind up on the Supreme Court (right after I win the lottery twice, and donate the entire second lottery to the politician who wins the Presidency), one of my first rulings is going to be "If you don't have the right to stand up and walk out, then you're under arrest".  

• Like 2

@Larry Agree with that. There are far too many ways that cops can play fast and loose with that whole situation, especially with someone who isn't at all versed in the law or is young, scared, etc. They tell the person that they're not under arrest and that they just want to talk but absolutely give the impression (either via omission or by just straight up lying) that the person can't leave and they'll be in even more trouble if they don't talk to them and/or confess. This is when you get lots of false confessions, especially when the suspect is young, poor, or even in some cases mentally handicapped.

• Like 2