Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

At the risk of sounding stupid, I'm gonna ask a question here because I honestly don't know enough about all this franchise tag and transition tag stuff. Under what circumstances, if any, could Kirk be out of DC right now(upcoming season). Can he decide he's had enough and go to San Fran, Houston, etc if they want him, or does the tag make it so that he can't just go if he wants?

Also, if he can't just leave, what's the big deal about a deal with him not getting done when he'll basically be here regardless for another season? I know that's not an ideal situation, but why is everyone freaking out about it?

And finally,if he can leave DC now, or something happens and he's not our QB this season, who in the hell are we gonna get as our QB? CM? Do we draft one? Sign a FA? I'm not sure wth we would do! What's the point in signing a guy like Pryor if we have no freaking QB???

29 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

The transition tag pays him $28 million next year so that's $52 million combined for the 2 years, if he wants $60 million in the first two years he is asking for way more than the tag.  Only way this works is if its a 5 year deal and the last 3 years pay him $10 an hour and all the cheese balls he can eat.

Yeah, I'm very confused about the math people are doing here. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Trade Cousins to the Texans?  I'm sure they'd rather have him than Romo.

I just threw that team out there, but my questions still stand.

The twitter thread has some good new tweets. Apparently, KC just wants out of DC and will make price so high, he'll basically force a trade. Another said a LTD won't get done.

I know that it sounds like Cousins would prefer to go to the 49ers, but what about the Brown's? they have if I'm not mistaken got 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks this year.  What do you all think about the Brown's highest 1st and 2nd round this year and maybe a 2nd or 3rd next year. 

HTTR 

4 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I know that it sounds like Cousins would prefer to go to the 49ers, but what about the Brown's? they have if I'm not mistaken got 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks this year.  What do you all think about the Brown's highest 1st and 2nd round this year and maybe a 2nd or 3rd next year. 

HTTR 

I think that's like getting the home version of a game show after losing.  We get great picks in a draft without a QBs and go back to the misery of the last two decades.  Draft picks will please the short sighted only up until the point Eli and Dak produce as many touchdowns as our offense manages first downs.  

7 minutes ago, Destino said:

I think that's like getting the home version of a game show after losing.  We get great picks in a draft without a QBs and go back to the misery of the last two decades.  Draft picks will please the short sighted only up until the point Eli and Dak produce as many touchdowns as our offense manages first downs.  

Yea, I understand that. But I don't want him in my locker room week by week if he doesn't want to be here. 

7 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

This is from Chad on twitter (guy who ran with Kirk trade news)

C6gr2pDV4AAGL1u.jpg:large

LOL, I don't believe 99% of this but it's a hilariously entertaining read. 

Dude should just admit his info was wrong as hell and be done with it...

Just now, SlkyCaramel said:

LOL, I don't believe 99% of this but it's a hilariously entertaining read. 

Dude should just admit his info was wrong as hell and be done with it...

I think the info prob legit, he just ran with it and turned it into "90% chance Kirk gone" for lord know's what reason.

Remember folks, this is a n-e-g-o-t-i-a-t-i-o-n. If BA and Skins show Kirk the money, I'm sure his tune will change. Even if he said "im not signing with you!" before. If he wants $60M in first two years and we offer $50M, you think his agent gonna let him turn that down and lose the commission? **** that, you think JULIE gonna let her man walk away from $50M guaranteed? Bruh if I know anything about women you KNOW they gonna make sure they get paid!!!!!! lmao

38 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I imagine at minimum he wants $30 million as a signing bonus in any LTD as Luck got $32 million and that is the example he is basing his demands off.  I would think $55 million in the first 2 years would get it done with at least $80 million fully guaranteed over the life of the contract. 

Even if he's asking for 60 million meaning front loading the contract, doesn't mean that he will only settle for that sum -- ironically Joel Corry suggested that in the agents shoes he might ask for a front loaded contract.  It's a negotiation.

I actually took the report today as a positive, sign me to a long term contract or trade me.  That's how I feel -- I don't want Kirk on a rental, sign the dude long term.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Even if he's asking for 60 million meaning front loading the contract, doesn't mean that he will only settle for that sum -- ironically Joel Corry suggested that in the agents shoes he might ask for a front loaded contract.  It's a negotiation.

I actually took the report today as a positive, sign me to a long term contract or trade me.  That's how I feel -- I don't want Kirk on a rental, sign the dude long term.

Man I wonder how many ppl on here are active in business. When u negotiate with someone, u don't run to them and give up everything. You establish a zone, make defensible asks and work your way to a deal.

People's dogmatic hate of the FO clouds their judgment. They're so eager to crucify Bruce Allen they forget negotiations take time, they're back-and-forth, there's lots of posturing, but end of the day it's all business.

6 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I believe every word.  Is this not the Dan Snyder we hallucinate. Rings completely true to our fantasies. 

FTFY

I don't recall any pettiness from Dan in the past

And I would just like to add where the **** does this Kyle and Kirk obsession with each other come from?!

IF Kirk wants out and refuses a resonance LTD we should trade him to whoever gives us the best package of picks/players.  I love KC but IF he is demanding to be traded to SF then they need to come strong. It has been reported that they are not willing to do that. 

IF Daniel Snyder refuses to trade him to San Francisco because of Kyle Shanahan that's pretty sad but I'm with him. Screw Kyle (idiot run the damn ball) and his pops. It took a first time HC and a derelict unemployed GM to shut down the RG3 debacle and move forward with Kirk.

All accounts from players that I have read about are that he is a real douche and has the pesonality of pocket lint.

We can't win on the field so maybe we can win at vindictive and petty

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/cousins-situation-remains-murky-as-redskins-part-ways-with-garcon-jackson/2017/03/09/f477324e-0507-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.0ac5e5df0f53

The Washington Redskins and Kirk Cousins had made no progress toward a long-term contract as NFL free agency opened Thursday, and speculation about the team trading the quarterback continued.

The Redskins have given Cousins no indication they have plans to trade him and publicly have expressed confidence of reaching a long-term agreement. Still, many league insiders and analysts believe a trade would be in the team’s best interest, and ESPN reported Thursday that Cousins had asked Redskins owner Daniel Snyder to trade him.

Washington currently is committed to paying Cousins $24 million as their franchise-tag player next season. After that, Cousins is a free agent, meaning the Redskins would be entitled to nothing if he signed with another team. Trading him now would get the team something in return.

The Redskins potentially hampered any potential trade plans by placing the exclusive franchise tag on Cousins on Feb. 28 instead of the non-exclusive tag, which would have allowed the quarterback to shop himself to other teams. In that scenario, had Cousins signed an offer sheet with another team that the Redskins declined to match, they would have received two first-round picks as compensation.

But by using the exclusive tag, the Redskins ensured that only they could control any potential trade solicitations. Meantime, team president Bruce Allen said last week in a radio interview that the team used the exclusive tag to avoid trade scenarios.

Whether Cousins beseeched Snyder for a trade wasn’t clear. Multiple people familiar with the team’s inner workings said they weren’t aware that any such request was made. Neither Cousins, his agent, nor Snyder responded to inquiries about the supposed conversation.

However, multiple people within the organization and around the league have believed for some time that Cousins prefers the idea of a fresh start over signing with Washington for the long term.

Publicly, Cousins has talked about the importance of continuity, but also has said he wants to play for a team that truly wants him. Although Coach Jay Gruden has lobbied for Cousins, the quarterback has never felt completely wanted by Snyder and Allen, despite two franchise-record setting seasons as a starter.

Were a trade to happen, it most likely would come just before April’s draft. That’s when the Redskins would have the most leverage because a team that missed on a quarterback in free agency would be more desperate and willing to part with more draft picks. People familiar with the situation say Allen is determined recoup as rich a bounty as possible for the quarterback, but that his asking price has been too high.

A long-term deal probably wouldn’t get done until closer to the July 15 franchise tag deadline, because that’s when Cousins will have the most leverage. If the Redskins fail to get a deal done, then they likely would lose Cousins on the open market next year.

The franchise could use the transition tag on him in 2018 and commit to paying him $28 million for another year, but that would be a large hit against the salary cap and another team could still outbid Washington, giving Cousins the fresh start he is believed to want.

I've been banking on JLC who recently said check his timeline, he's really doubling down on his confidence that he has a beat on what's going down with Kirk

1. Cousins would not holdout w/signed tender, demand a trade or threaten to withhold his services. But Skins are getting zero bargains either

If they don't step up to the plate, will be another wacko offseason there....

Bottom line: If the Skins negotiate off the franchise tag figure ($24M) and make legit offers, everyone could quickly kiss and make up...

49ers indicated strongly to Hoyer he's the guy for 17 and no trade for Cousins this year. Words are cheap but they recruited him as starter

Will Cousins sign that franchise tag and lock in that salary? Without a doubt, and soon at that. Is SF the only team that likes him? Nope...

Would Cousins be open to a trade and welcome it? Yes. Is he demanding a trade? No. Would he play there $24M in 17 if need be? Absolutely ...

Archived