Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is predictability the defense's biggest sin currently?

NoCalMike

So by now we know the personnel on this defense is lacking.  With a month to go they aren't going to surprise us and suddenly become a Top unit. However more than being soft and mediocre, what worries me the most when watching them is how predictable they are.  How predictable Joe Barry calls coverages and the pass rush on passing downs.   

How many times during every single game will we see 3rd and 7 (or more,) get converted with a 3 yard pass because no one is covering a RB or Tight End on that route?  A few times a game I can understand.  Perhaps you are guessing and you guess wrong, but at this point it feels like O-coordinators are looking for these specific routes knowing that if the pass is caught it is going to go for 10 yards after the catch every time.

Also, the "Pass Rush" how many more times do we need to watch two potential blitzers run up to the line and fake a blitz, before dropping right back into coverage and then a completion is STILL MADE.   

It feels like every opposing offense is in a comfort zone against our defense.  Earlier in the season our defense was creating more turnovers which often made up for the "Bend but keep Bending" defense, but without those timely turnovers, the defense simply has no answer.  There also seems to be zero adjustments.

It really feels like it's becoming like a game of Madden where the opponent found a play to run and they just keep running the same play over and over and over and no matter what, you can't stop it.

I genuinely hate this defense

Im actually hoping we dont make the playoffs this year.  would be completely pointless and this defense needs a serious infusion of talent and coaching before we even have the right to show our faces in the playoffs

No, we simply lack speed and athleticism. Guys are SLOW.

This is why I don't put nearly as much blame as others on Barry. There were many times today where guys are tasked to be in the right spot but simply are a step slow, like Fuller on that early 3rd down, or Breeland the times he got beat on 3rd and long, or when Norman lets a TE break a tackle on him to get a 1st when he had him short.

The coach can only do so much. If a guy is in position to make a play, he's gotta make a play. Outside of maybe 3-4 guys Barry is working with mostly guys who aren't just not starters, they don't even belong on NFL rosters.

Barry doesn't deserve to coach football professionally and most of our defense doesn't deserve to start for a professional football team. 

Kerrigan, Baker, Norman and Murphy can stick around for the right price. If the rest of the defense and defensive coaching staff were turned around entirely, I wouldn't complain.

7 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

They are predictable on offense and defense.

Yes, talent is an issue on defense, but when teams consistently convert 3rd and long, I blame the coach.    Dallas does not have more talent than us on defense, but are getting more out of their guys

Yes they do.

Why do ppl keep saying that?

Outside of Norman and Kerrigan, their guys are easily better. They just don't have name guys (hell, neither do we honestly)

55 minutes ago, zoony said:

I genuinely hate this defense

Im actually hoping we dont make the playoffs this year.  would be completely pointless and this defense needs a serious infusion of talent and coaching before we even have the right to show our faces in the playoffs

I totally agree with you only on the defense part and the infusion of talent! The not making the playoffs I can't accept though. 

I'd say Dallas definitely has more talent than us on defense.  They don't have a ton of game-changing elite talent, which is why they aren't a championship caliber defense, but they play disciplined and very solid.   That is coaching.  Maximizing what you have, finding ways to get the most out of your personnel.  Also, making adjustments during the game.

15 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

If you notice on all those still pics the recurring theme with our pass rush is that pretty much 90% of the time any and all pressure is generated by the ends, taking the long route to the QB.  Without any push/pressure up the middle, the QB has so many options to either climb the pocket or take off running.  I think that plays a big part as to why our DE's are always stumbling or falling down in their pursuit, because it is so easy for the QB to feel that pressure and take a step or two forward and suddenly the Ends have a bad route or just get pushed right past the QB.   

The problem with our defense is we have capable players on every level (linebacker, DL, corner, safety), but we don't have one specific element that's our strength. An element that teams shy away from and therefor limits their schemes. Arizona has a fantastic secondary with Matthieu, Peterson, Jefferson and it shows with their pass ranking. Dallas has a fantastic pass rush and linebackers that make tackles and keep pressure on. KC the same thing. There is no part of our defense that is intimidating. Sure there are players, Norman is intimidating but the other side of the field where norman ain't is not. We need to decide what kind of defense we want/need to be. Do we want to be bruisers that punish? Do we want to be playmakers who create turnovers? Do we want to be fundamentally sound and limit opportunities? We don't have an identity. They look like a bunch of guys just trying to figure out who they're supposed to cover. 

I don't believe Barry comes back next year because of this. He hasn't left a stamp on this defense, much like he didn't in the past. Gruden at least came in and tried to establish a smash mouth style of football, which I believe he still wants to do, but can't because the defense can't get off the field. I don't think he wants to have to open it up so much through the air but I don't think he has a choice. If he's not back, I hope they make a hire immediately after the season ends and find someone who has an idea as to what he wants to do. If that includes a revamping of the defense then so be it. I don't think it has to come to that but there are clearly guys under performing here. 

Archived