Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. Congress Part 116

thebluefood

Why do you lose a Committee seat for quitting your political party?

I think Amash will disappear from politics in 3 to 5 years, which makes me sick. Not because of his views or anything, but it demonstrates how the political parties are behind everything and Congress isn't merit based.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Why do you lose a Committee seat for quitting your political party?

I think Amash will disappear from politics in 3 to 5 years, which makes me sick. Not because of his views or anything, but it demonstrates how the political parties are behind everything and Congress isn't merit based.

Each day we are realizing the constitution is weak.

30 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Honest question, is there a study or something that shows how many people today could trace back their heritage to slave owners?  I'd guess it is a lot, but that would be a total guess.

I am not an expert in that. You could google it and find the research people have done.

If Henry Louis Gates Jr can trace peoples lineage back to the ethnic group they came from in Africa, then I am sure you could do it for slaveowners.

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I am not an expert in that. You could google it and find the research people have done.

If Henry Louis Gates Jr can trace peoples lineage back to the ethnic group they came from in Africa, then I am sure you could do it for slaveowners.

I did a quick Google search and only found these two articles.  They both seem to just take a rough guess using basic math.  I couldn't find an actual study.  The rest of the search results were about how to trace one person's own liniage.  I'll try to look for something more accurate later.

https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-modern-day-whites-are-descendants-of-slave-owners

https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-in-the-US-are-descended-from-slave-owners

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
forgot links

37 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I did a quick Google search and only found these two articles.  They both seem to just take a rough guess using basic math.  I couldn't find an actual study.  The rest of the search results were about how to trace one person's own liniage.  I'll try to look for something more accurate later.

https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-modern-day-whites-are-descendants-of-slave-owners

https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-in-the-US-are-descended-from-slave-owners

If someone really wanted to do research on this, they could find out. All of that stuff regarding slavery was considered property and was public record. Slavery wasn't that long ago despite what people say.

But back on the response to this, McConnell is a hypocritical scumbag. 

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Honest question, is there a study or something that shows how many people today could trace back their heritage to slave owners?  I'd guess it is a lot, but that would be a total guess.

How about ancestors that owned your ancestors?....mine did :kickcan:

Well, every generation you go back, the number of ancestors doubles*, and the population of the US goes down. 

*Insert redneck joke here

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Well, every generation you go back, the number of ancestors doubles*, and the population of the US goes down

Exactly.  What made me ask was the Mitch story above.  Stating that his ancestors owned slaves like that is a big deal.  I would guess that 95% of white people whose family has been here for 3+ generations would have slave owners some where in their lineage.  But I couldn't find anything to actually show a study regarding it.  

*Mitch is still a turd, this isn't meant as some sort of defense for him.  

Exactly.  What made me ask was the Mitch story above.  Stating that his ancestors owned slaves like that is a big deal.  I would guess that 95% of white people whose family has been here for 3+ generations would have slave owners some where in their lineage.  But I couldn't find anything to actually show a study regarding it.  

*Mitch is still a turd, this isn't meant as some sort of defense for him.  

I would bet it is actually less than people think. Remember that majority of slaves were owned by the wealthy. Many white immigrants came over and were quite poor, barely having a roof over their heads - Italians, Irish, Jewish, etc. Many were indentured servant to pay off their debt of the trip.

Now those that go 3+ generations back in the south.....that % I'm sure is much higher. 

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Do you have anything supporting that?  Not saying you're wrong, just the sources I found were based on some very rough math.

Well, you got to figure those with descendants from the North weren’t slave owners. That was about half the county and may have been the more populous half. Then, not all Southerners owned slaves. So, the number has to be at least below half. 

Ive done no research on this though. 

Even in the South during Slavery, it was 50% of lower who owned slaves. So, while I can't seem to find the % of descendants today who came from Slave Owners. I'd imagine it's going to go down because the wave of immigration since the end of slavery against the number of American's who are more than 3rd generation. I look at my own family and believe the earliest on my Dad's side arrived was in the last 25 years of the 1800s. So, that's still after this. We're really talking like 5th Generation or more with the lifespan of those folks. 

https://www.history.com/news/5-myths-about-slavery

The 1860 census shows that in the states that would soon secede from the Union, an average of more than 32 percent of white families owned slaves. Some states had far more slave owners (46 percent in South Carolina, 49 percent in Mississippi) while some had far less (20 percent in Arkansas).

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

16 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Well, you got to figure those with descendants from the North weren’t slave owners. That was about half the county and may have been the more populous half. Then, not all Southerners owned slaves. So, the number has to be at least below half. 

Ive done no research on this though. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_states_and_free_states

In the history of the United States, a slave state was a U.S. state in which the practice of slavery was legal, and a free state was one in which slavery was prohibited or being legally phased out. Historically, in the 17th century, slavery was established in a number of English overseas possessions. In the 18th century, it existed in all the British colonies of North America. In 1776, slavery was legal throughout the Thirteen Colonies; starting with Pennsylvania in 1780, about half the states abolished slavery during the Revolutionary War or in the first decades of the new country. Slavery became a divisive issue; it was a major issue during the writing of the U.S. Constitution, and slavery was a cause of the American Civil War. Just prior to the Civil War, there were 19 free states and 15 slave states. The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, ratified in December of 1865, abolished slavery throughout the United States.

600px-US_Slave_Free_1789-1861.gif

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1