Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cancer Sucks

btfoom

13 minutes ago, daveakl said:

It's actually our daughter Abby that ?has/had? cancer (not sure how that works or what we say now to be honest).  She finished chemo in August and her first post treatment MRI came back clear (9/16/2016).

Her taste changed some during radiation, more because it was total brain and spine.  The chemo def changed it.

Sorry for the wife/daughter misunderstanding.

We still are all rooting for her and hope she has a full recovery.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the second round of Chemo.

She seems to be taking it well, but unfortunately her hair is really coming out now.  I had to cut it short over the weekend (that REALLY sucked).  She has 2 nice wigs and wears a head-band around the house.  Doing OK otherwise, but I can't wait for her to be done.

Prayers and good thoughts to anyone going through anything like this.  Cancer really does suck.

38 minutes ago, Bang said:

be strong. it'll be tough for a while. I have a friend going through chemo and says it's the worst.

Positive vibes. Hope for the future.

~John

Thanks so much.  I really appreciate the nice words and thoughts.

Tell your friend to keep positive.  They can beat it!!!

It's definitely unlike anything else.  It sounds like you guys are doing the best you can, which is all you can hope for.

The waiting is the hardest part

Every day you get one more yard

You take it on faith

You take it to the heart

The waiting is the hardest part

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from her 3rd Chemo treatment.  I'm so proud of how well she does with this and it seems to not bother her as much as the first.  Her hair is even growing back in.

We now are 3 weeks away from the final treatment.  My wife is in good spirits and we are counting the days. Can't thank all of you enough for your thoughts and support.

Anyone else in a similar situation, I pray for a full and speedy recovery. 

For everyone, remember:

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.

Author: Dr. Robert L. Lynn

• 3 weeks later...

So, how about his kid, showing his love for basketball (courtesy of ESPN SportsCenter):

Shows you, that cancer can't take away that part that makes us people.  Cancer can't stop the will of the people it affects.

Keep it up, Brody.  Can't wait to see you play in College some day!!!

A friend of mine,(a teacher and fellow Pro Photographer back in Park City),was diagnosed over the Summer with breast cancer. She's had to stop teaching and taking clients,(her 2 greatest passions),in order to get treatment. She's undergoing the chemo now. She's attacked it by drawing in support and starting a blog and scheduling little get togethers with friends and family. And still working out when she can. 

14 minutes ago, PCS said:

A friend of mine,(a teacher and fellow Pro Photographer back in Park City),was diagnosed over the Summer with breast cancer. She's had to stop teaching and taking clients,(her 2 greatest passions),in order to get treatment. She's undergoing the chemo now. She's attacked it by drawing in support and starting a blog and scheduling little get togethers with friends and family. And still working out when she can. 

Hope she is doing well.  Sounds similar to my wife.  Hope it is the treatable kind AND they got it early.

If she doesn't mind, could you let me know the blog so I could read it?

Thanks @PCS.  Prayers for your friend.

Great win by the Skins.  This weekend was the one I wanted to be over more than any one that I've ever wanted.

My wife will have her last Chemo on Monday and will be done by Monday afternoon.  Love her as she has fought against cancer harder than anything.  Love to be part of her fight,!!!!  Thanks to all who have posted here.  Love you all!!!!1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/e72f802e-0d20-3f13-b9c8-32b0b0e9cfc5/4-year-old-whose.html

This is the hardest photograph I have ever made, it is in fact my own four year old daughter. A few days ago she was given what is most likely only a few weeks to live after a battle against cancer that has been waged for over twelve months. This photograph was made in a moment that we as parents could offer her no comfort, her pushing us away whilst she rode out this searing pain in solitude. This sadly, for us as a family, is not a sight that we see rarely. This is now a familiar sight that we see regularly through each day and night, its frequency now more often. This is the true face of cancer, my baby girls blood vessels protruding from beneath her skin, a solitary tear running down her cheek, her body stiffened and her face contorted in pain.

https://www.facebook.com/Afightagainstneuroblastoma/posts/1752100481710384:0

You probably saw the photo a month or so ago. A 4 year old girl writhing in pain, her blood vessels prominent. If you did see it, its an image that wont leave you anytime soon. I didnt post the photo here bc it might be to emotional for someone not suspecting it. Powerful. Hard to imagine thousands of kids, right this second, are going through it. 

**** cancer. 

@Mr Pink - I am so sad right now after reading your post.  I am literally in tears as I read about your daughter and her struggle.

Her pain is over and I very much believe that she is in a much better place now.  Your facebook post was very honest and powerful.  Please post here when you feel strong enough to do so.  I know I can't offer anything more than support, but I do pray for you and your family.

Now 5 months later, the treatment is finally over.  My wife went through so much in the last 5 months, no only has to take a pill (yes for the next 10 years), but as of now she is done her recovery from surgery and her chemo-therapy.  Looking forward to a full and complete recovery.  She was a trooper for all of it and I can't be more proud of her.

While it's never completely over, the doctors tell her that she is very much cancer free and don't expect any re-lapse.

#NoOneFightsAlone

25 minutes ago, twa said:

Near 11 months clear for me.

Cancer does suck

I never knew that.

Congratulations on being clear that long.  Keep up the good fight and know that having a positive outlook is key to beating cancer.  Please keep posting updates and let us know how you are doing.  There are lots of things that we argue about here in the Tailgate, but EVERYONE here can get behind you and pray/give best wishes to you to stay healthy. 

Yes, cancer does suck, but YOU are stronger than cancer.  Stay strong and beat it like the Skins will beat down the cow-pokes this weekend.

#NoOneFightsAlone

@btfoom, The Redskins don't play this weekend. (Note to self- this guy has a lot going on and misses things sometimes)

And what are cow-pokes ? (Not again)

Cancer can go **** itself though. Glad she is in the clear for now. Best wishes man. 

Seriously, I've lost a few to that thing. Hoping for the best for you and yours. 

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

The Redskins don't play this weekend.

Sure they do...it's a long weekend for everyone but me, LOL

But seriously...prayers for you all, and for your loved ones.

Mr. Pink:  I don't know how you've gotten through it, just thinking of my 4-year-old granddaughter being in such a state sent me into crazy crying. So very sorry for your loss. 

• 3 weeks later...

Abbys second post treatment MRI is the 19th and I'm already starting to get nervous again. I'll catch myself feeling my heart start to beat faster or get that adrenaline feeling and for a second I wonder why before remembering what's coming up. I haven't drank alcohol since February  (my giving up drinking was my way of controlling something when everything around me was out of my hands) except for a celebratory drink in September after the first MRI. Here's to hoping I get another large glass of scotch on the 19th.

20161120_174524.jpg

17 hours ago, daveakl said:

Abbys second post treatment MRI is the 19th and I'm already starting to get nervous again. I'll catch myself feeling my heart start to beat faster or get that adrenaline feeling and for a second I wonder why before remembering what's coming up. I haven't drank alcohol since February  (my giving up drinking was my way of controlling something when everything around me was out of my hands) except for a celebratory drink in September after the first MRI. Here's to hoping I get another large glass of scotch on the 19th.

<pic removed per ES regulations>

She's so beautiful.  What a great smile.

Will be praying for her and your family. Really have positive thoughts that she will be well (and you get your big glass of scotch).  Please keep us up to date and hope we can all join you in your celebratory scotch.

Archived