Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stupid things your non-Redskins friends have said

NewCliche21

9 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

When I was about 7-8 years old somebody had college football ball on TV and the Washington Huskies were on playing and I automatically had to root for them since I was already a Redskins fan. 

Of course I had no idea they weren't from DC, oh and I was a 2ND or 3RD grader. 

This one is actually positive - I was in Seattle for the last game we won there - Roy Helu jumped over a defender to score to give us a lead we never gave back.

One of the Redskins fans we met said the reason he was a Redskins fan is because when he was a kid, the Redskins were on Sundays in Washington State. He saw the Washington name and started watching them. When he was about 6 his dad saw him and said, you realize that's Washington DC and the NFL not the Huskies? Why are you watching them? When he didn't answer his dad starting to give him a hard time. He decided to double down out of spite and has been a Redskins fan ever since!

Had a Carolina fan at work yesterday compare Cam Newton not jumping on his fumble late in the Super Bowl, to Andy Lee not attempting to tackle the returner in his last game with Browns.

Backstory: ever since the SB ended, this guy has blamed the Panthers' loss to Denver on the officiating. And every time I've brought up Cam not trying to recover the fumble, in the biggest game of his career, he's always defended him, saying he could have gotten hurt had he done so, and wouldn't have gone after it either (I kid you not, these were his words).

Anyway, so yesterday we were discussing them acquiring Andy Lee. I was ragging the Panthers for giving up a 4th for Lee...a PUNTER! He goes: "everyone criticizing Cam (media) for not jumping on that fumble...where is the criticism for Andy Lee?"

Me: "you're comparing apples to oranges. You can't compare a PUNTER not putting in enough effort to make a tackle in a MEANINGLESS PRESEASON GAME to your MVP QB not going after his fumble, late in the SUPER BOWL, in the biggest game of his career".:ols:

11 hours ago, goskins10 said:

This one is actually positive - I was in Seattle for the last game we won there - Roy Helu jumped over a defender to score to give us a lead we never gave back.

One of the Redskins fans we met said the reason he was a Redskins fan is because when he was a kid, the Redskins were on Sundays in Washington State. He saw the Washington name and started watching them. When he was about 6 his dad saw him and said, you realize that's Washington DC and the NFL not the Huskies? Why are you watching them? When he didn't answer his dad starting to give him a hard time. He decided to double down out of spite and has been a Redskins fan ever since!

The part that doesn't make sense here is, why would they show Redskins games in the state of Washington? I'm calling BS on the reason he started pulling for us. More than likely, he became a fan during the time we won our 3 Lombardis, and just didn't want to admit he was a front runner (especially when his hometown team was garbage in their early years).

5 minutes ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

The part that doesn't make sense here is, why would they show Redskins games in the state of Washington? I'm calling BS on the reason he started pulling for us. More than likely, he became a fan during the time we won our 3 Lombardis.

The Redskins were for a very, very long time the early game for the NFC on the west coast. Think what you want. But why would anyone make that up? Seriously, get a grip.

17 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The Redskins were for a very, very long time the early game for the NFC on the west coast. Think what you want. But why would anyone make that up? Seriously, get a grip.

You made it sound like this guy said he first became a fan, in part, because they showed the Redskins in his market when he was growing up. I'm not buying that. But IF it's somehow true, I rescind my earlier comment.

As for why anyone would make it up. I just explained why. Seattle was AWFUL in their early years. But the Redskins were winning all 3 of their Super Bowls during that time. In today's world, that would be similar to some young kid in California being a Patriots or Steelers fan. That sort of thing happens ALL the time. 

A little much to tell me to get a grip, don't ya think? You act like I criticized a family member or something.

Anyway, great thread.

13 minutes ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

You made it sound like this guy said he first became a fan, in part, because they showed the Redskins in his market when he was growing up. I'm not buying that. But IF it's somehow true, I rescind my earlier comment.

As for why anyone would make it up. I just explained why. Seattle was AWFUL in their early years. But the Redskins were winning all 3 of their Super Bowls during that time. In today's world, that would be similar to some young kid in California being a Patriots or Steelers fan. That sort of thing happens ALL the time. 

A little much to tell me to get a grip, don't ya think? You act like I criticized a family member or something.

Anyway, great thread.

You realize the kid was 6 at the time and he actually thought he was watching the Washington Huskies. But when his dad corrected him he doubled down. This had nothing to do with the Seahawks, just a child being stubborn. And yes they showed the Redskins a lot for the early game as the NFC game. No local games and the Redskins were a marquee team at the time.

I will leave it at that. Nothing gained by continuing.

25 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You realize the kid was 6 at the time and he actually thought he was watching the Washington Huskies. But when his dad corrected him he doubled down. This had nothing to do with the Seahawks, just a child being stubborn. 

I will leave it at that. Nothing gained by continuing.

Aww, I had overlooked the Huskies part of your original post. I was thinking in my mind that SkinsFTW was the only one with the Huskies story. My apologies.

22 hours ago, Passizle said:

I once had a friend ask me why the Skins even existed. His thoughts were that they were a racist team (name issues) and Seattle already has a team... why does Washington even need two?

I just laughed really hard on the inside.

I have heard this many times...from people who live here on the East coast...so how could home games start at 1pm...if they were from Washington State?

My company is HQed in Dallas.  And we have a sports culture. Last year we had our all-hands at Jerry World.  (This, btw, was awesome.)  Nothing like a 100,000 seat stadium for a 250 person all-hands meeting.  Maybe slightly over-kill.  But whatever.  And everybody was asked to wear their favorite jersey, any sport, to the meeting.  LOTS of Cowboys, I went wearing my Jacoby proudly.  Anyway, it's a sports culture. And most are Cowboy fans. 

Anything and everything that is said by any of them is stupid.  I've stopped listening, recording, or remembering. 

"This is the year Romo stays healthy" might take the cake.  Said in Feb at our all-hands. I laughed.  Literally laughed. Didn't say anything else.  Sent an email to that guy a couple weeks ago with the subject "Romo" and the body being "This is the year he stays healthy."

The response I got was not suitable for polite society. :rofl89:

• Okay.  This not one instance, but several.  
  • -Me, randomly doing my thing
  • -Them, a stupid Baltimoron that crosses my path

[Some background: the area I live in is closer to Bmore than DC, so there are more of their fans running around.]

Them: why the hell are you a Redskins fan?  This is Ravens country!

Me: I don't like the Browns.

11 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:
  • Okay.  This not one instance, but several.  
  • -Me, randomly doing my thing
  • -Them, a stupid Baltimoron that crosses my path

[Some background: the area I live in is closer to Bmore than DC, so there are more of their fans running around.]

Them: why the hell are you a Redskins fan?  This is Ravens country!

Me: I don't like the Browns.

I like to ask Ravens fan if they think whether they think Jim Brown or Otto Graham was greatest Raven of all time.  Drives them nuts.

I like how co-workers (typically Cowboys and Steelers fans) will say, "Oh now you think the Redskins are going to the Super Bowl" whenever anything good happens to the Redskins, including Mack Brown's play in Game 4 of the preseason. 

5 hours ago, DiscoBob said:

...I'm a Cowboys fan...

Simple.... but very stupid

We know they are delusional, but what's great is how they think the organization is really functional.  And they really think all of their convicts are innocent and/or "set up."

I am surrounded by Cowboys idiots.  Elliot is going to lead the league in rushing and Jerry Jones is a genius in getting Prescott in the 4th round!!  Told him that they had wanted Paxton Lynch and were trying to trade up for him and then wanted Conner Cook but he got drafted so tell me how did he get Prescott.  fell into their lap!!!!! but genius. Typical cowboy stupidity here in Texas.  When they lose to the Giants then us they are going to start counting down when Romo comes back.  Right now they think that Prescott is going to light it up!!!!!

Archived